NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
iplanet77

Advertising watchdog bans Nintendo TV ad

Oh well. On the bright side, maybe it'll encourage Nintendo to make some better ads? :laughing:

aw bloody hell, seriously? I cant believe how petty that is, i remember an ad got taken off the air because it had a car surfing and when it came back it had in huge letters (car does not actually float), i was baffled that anyone could be so thick. Clearly we live in a country of idiots that need protecting from the big bad advertisers ^_^

That is a pretty s**tty ad annyhow, so who cares?

I'd imagine that Nintendo do

Honestly, I think they've got a point. You don't need to be thick to get the impression that "this is a console that doesn't need a TV" or "I can play any game on the GamePad". It could be argued that Nintendo's lack of clarity whether it's that (ie. a console that doesn't need a TV) or a "giant DS", as such, has created a lot of complication.

They'll just slap a disclaimer in small text at the bottom and re-release it - like all the Apple adverts which say that they've removed steps from various things in the advert, in order to make the processes appear much faster (nobody really wants to watch an iPhone advert going through all the purchase steps).

Honestly, I think they've got a point. You don't need to be thick to get the impression that "this is a console that doesn't need a TV" or "I can play any game on the GamePad". It could be argued that Nintendo's lack of clarity whether it's that (ie. a console that doesn't need a TV) or a "giant DS", as such, has created a lot of complication.

Agreed. The fact the advert implies that you can play all games from the Pad whilst someone watches TV is misleading.

Agreed. The fact the advert implies that you can play all games from the Pad whilst someone watches TV is misleading.

They had me fooled!

It's nothing that a disclaimer wouldn't solve, though.

Well exactly, a disclaimer would have avoided this problem. There are clear guidlines. They're a pain to work around, recently had a couple get on my tits, but they are there for a reason.

In fairness, there's confusion with almost everything Wii U related, not just the issue highlighted in the advertisement :hmm:

There were a lot of controller options on the Wii which, in some ways, gave us the best of everything. However, the Wii U, with it's gamepad and pro controller, add a whole new layer to the peripherals already available. Not being able to use certain controllers with certain games can be frustrating. It may not be confusing for most of us here, but I'm not surprised that others won't have a clue what's compatible with what. There's just too much going on sometimes. As cool as the gamepad is, sometimes I kinda wish that Nintendo would just, for instance, have released the new console with a pro controller as standard and every game used it. That way, everyone knows where they stand..

Throwing in my words of support for the ASA on this too. Even though it'll be disclaimered off, I think it's a poor show on their part.

Strangely, I remember when game ads started featuring 'not actual ingame footage' and got confused as to WHY you'd not advertise WITH ingame footage - as a gamer that's what I want to see!

For example, I genuinely don't know if the Wii U needs a TV. I know it does for dual screen games like Zombie U, but I don't know if I could buy one, set it up and play New Super Mario Bros U without using a TV at all.

When I first heard about Project Café I thought a console that doesn't need a TV is quite a cool idea. How much the Wii U will be like that and how much it'll be for dual screen gameplay is a mystery.

Strangely, I remember when game ads started featuring 'not actual ingame footage' and got confused as to WHY you'd not advertise WITH ingame footage - as a gamer that's what I want to see!

Yeah, if they're not going to show the actual game, they might as well show a clip from Toy Story 2 or something! It's crazy, they make complete works of fantasy in CGI then (quite rightly) have to say "This isn't it".

Throwing in my words of support for the ASA on this too. Even though it'll be disclaimered off, I think it's a poor show on their part.

They are probably hoping that even though they put the disclaimer in that you wont notice. I just think this who ASA thing is going way too far, in a world where you can pull up literally any bit of information on anything using a mobile phone browser i dont understand why people are still getting confused. Am i just giving the general public too much credit?

They are probably hoping that even though they put the disclaimer in that you wont notice. I just think this who ASA thing is going way too far, in a world where you can pull up literally any bit of information on anything using a mobile phone browser i dont understand why people are still getting confused. Am i just giving the general public too much credit?

You probably are, tbh. We tend to be quite engrossed in our world, taking for granted many a thing, but I know for a fact that some people(especially a generation or two above) are not quite in touch as we are(i.e. still double clicking hyperlinks, googling google etc). Ironically, I've actually found myself in a similar position where there's been 'new' common tech I knew little to nothing about, something I never thought would happen to me! There's much going on now that I'm out of touch with, and I'm still quite relatively in touch.

I guess it will happen to us all one day, i dread the day when someone asks me if bought the new <insert device here> and i have no idea what they mean. My Dad used to be fairly tech savy and hes started doing that now, im hoping because i work in IT it will take longer.

I guess thats a fair point, if people are genuinely being mislead reagardless of my feelings on it they are entitled to as much information as they require. I guess this sort of thing isnt really aimed at us anyway, we have usually been drooling over the specs and features months before the machines launch lol.

So let me get this straight? Somebody complained about the Wii U advert because the advert is misleading?

I actually thought that ad was pretty good, and explained the console pretty well to people who know nothing about it (which is most people). Better than the other Wii U ads I've seen.

So let me get this straight? Somebody complained about the Wii U advert because the advert is misleading?

Well done, you win a prize!

Well done, you win a prize!

Oh goodie, a prize for asking a question about a subject I know little about! This really is my day(!) :p

Sign in to follow this