NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Blockbusters goes into administration

That's pretty poor pricing given the alternatives. As Cube said too, they should have looked to at least try and move to a model like LoveFilm and the like, just to stay in line with the competition. They were operating a somewhat outdated business model, with little adaptation or evolution. I'd imagine it's been steadily reflected in their revenues for years, too, so why didn't someone try to do something about it?

Your mention of the cinema is exactly what I'm talking about. Cinemas run the risk of following a similar fate in a few years(they have the slight unique experience appeal to keep them going, though), however I know many offer all sorts of loyalty promotions now, and Cineworld's Unlimited card is a brilliant way to move with the times; £15 a month for all the films you like + discount on food and drink. Admittedly there's the surcharge for 3D films(£1.50 for my local), but with the way regular prices are you only need see 2/3films a month to equate regular ticket prices. Moving more off topic, I wonder sometimes how much Orange Wednesdays might have done to help breathe more life into the cinema industry.

Yeah you're right. I think Blockbuster must have tried it at some point, if not now (they have a subscription based thing online, so I don't see why they wouldn't have tried it in the shops - i don't remember seeing it in store so maybe it's not advertised enough if it does exist). In fact...

Had a quick look online - they have it in America - a rental plan which applies to post or applies in store, which is a great idea. Like a combo of Lovefilm and Blockbuster.

Actually, they do seem to have something like that here http://www.blockbuster.co.uk/stores/movie-exchanges.aspx

Just evidently not advertised anywhere near as well as it should be. Also the price plan seems slightly confusing.

I know people who only go the cinema on Wednesdays because of the promotion. Can't imagine how things would be without it, although to be fair most of my recent cinema visits have been with decently packed theaters. I hope the cinema sticks around for a long time - it's still a very definitive way to see a movie in my opinion.

Exactly what I thought! I stopped going(well barely did anyway) cinema ages back, and usually when I would(like 4 times a year maybe?) I'd be begging around for orange Wednesday codes. The other was the cineworld bargain tuesday, but that's slowly gotten higher and higher that even that don't cut it compared to orange wednesdays! I now see the cinema so much more busy on a wednesday than any other day, in quite a proportion, and I think it's all thanks to that single promotion.

Personally, I only got my unlimited card because essentially I am epically shit at seeing films and I thought it might help me along. My reasons were essentially;

there were some good films coming out

I often found myself idle of an eve

I could afford it

I wanted to repent for completely unrelated issues

I was thinking about getting it, but I really need to see how much I'd actually use it - it needs a trial period. Not a free trial (obviously), but they should allow you to buy one month before committing yourself a a 12-month contract.

I do kinda agree. I signed up a few years ago, not realising the 12-month tie in bit(they used to hide it a lot more) and then cancelled quite quickly when I got my head around it. However last summer I considered that I'm earning the money each month anyway so it's not unviable, there was films I wanted to see, and essentially it ain't all that bad. Also reasons as above :p

Yeah you're right. I think Blockbuster must have tried it at some point, if not now (they have a subscription based thing online, so I don't see why they wouldn't have tried it in the shops - i don't remember seeing it in store so maybe it's not advertised enough if it does exist). In fact...

Had a quick look online - they have it in America - a rental plan which applies to post or applies in store, which is a great idea. Like a combo of Lovefilm and Blockbuster.

Actually, they do seem to have something like that here http://www.blockbuster.co.uk/stores/movie-exchanges.aspx

Just evidently not advertised anywhere near as well as it should be. Also the price plan seems slightly confusing.

You know, suddenly I'm thinking they might indeed have tried something to match it, but only in an online format; so you're probabaly quite right! That was when it was all quite early on/starting out though? I don't know if/how Lovefilm etc have evolved since but I'd say they(blockbuster) still didn't keep up. Just online wasn't good enough, it didnt' give anything new. However they had a huge chunk of the rental market and shoulda put it instore too, might have been a real life saver.

Edited by Rummy
Automerged Doublepost

I'm not even going to deny this: I don't like streaming services at all and I don't want it to happen. I do use it for TV shows but when it comes to movies and things like that, I like to own the copy of it and put it on my shelf. I like seeing a hard copy of the movie/game on my shelf and I like to look at my collection, it does kind of make me smile a little. I also like the artwork of the covers and little things like that. With streaming or anything like that, you wouldn't get it and you'd have to update your hard drive and things like that just to have the copy on there and if you don't have it on your HDD, you'd need an internet connection anyway.