NEurope
Guy

Geeky Garb - What's Your Limit?

I think the whole thing seems to be based on what the design is like on the shirt. Anything that's just a massive, fat game logo or cartoonishly drawn character just gets, as people presume here (and are probably right) instantly gets filed under "would not shag".

I have quite a lot of gaming shirts, some of them I do wear when I'm off out for a night and some of them I don't. I never really give a fuck, but I just feel I can save myself a lot of flack from drunken dick heads if I don't wear the "Nintendo official addict" shirt, or my mario shirt or my sonic shirt.

I've got like two Invader's shirts around, I'll wear them. A Streets of Rage shirt that I'll wear as it's just the sprites of the four main characters and a World ends with You shirt that just has the player pin design on it. I've got some more, but they've gone missing like most of my clothes.

The rest are band or SK8ER DOOOD shirts.

I don't really have a limit because I don't care what other people think. If I like it, I'll wear it. If I don't, I won't. Simple. I wear t-shirts of Animal from the Muppets that I think are pretty cool and I don't care. I know it's not the same as gaming t-shirts but still. People shouldn't have to be afraid of what their limit is. As long as they're happy and confident, who's bothered? I mean, does it really bother you if someone strolls up in a Zelda t-shirt or a Metroid t-shirt? Sure, you may not like it but if it makes the person wearing it happy, good for them. Personally, the t-shirt on the OP would look better if the design was black and grey but I think it's a pretty cool design. The ones I do love on here though is the Mass Effect jacket and The Sopranos t-shirt (which isn't geeky, might I add!).

On top of the N7 ones (which I love because only gamers know they're gaming tops), I have these:

SchoolqorDetail.png

woot-portal-2-shirt.jpg

It_Came_Out_Of_Nowhereg4lStandard.png

I used to get shirts from threadless before they started making them out of toilet paper, but now most tee purchases tend to come from Qwertee. The one on sale today is subtly geeky but I like it as a shirt too.

productimage-picture-dark-side-of-the-hallows-16305_500x500.jpg

I own this, and it's as far to the geek as I'll go.

productimage-picture-tools-of-the-trade-9734_500x500.jpg

I would rather wear apparel that only appeals to people who'll get it, without spelling it out with the name of the game. It's not really a cool/uncool thing, I just don't like clothes that shout BRAND NAME ©.

I have these, and probably a few more similar that I can't remember right now.

tumblr_lzri36Tfpn1qzqwamo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lgwgmj9KHq1qzamwmo1_400.jpg

tumblr_lpcihqCdZH1qbw2q1o1_1280.gif

It's not about whether it's geeky or not, it's about if it looks good or like a tacky piece of shit. Which there are plenty of examples of.

Totally agree the subtle designs are the ones to go for.

Edited by Guy

I have a few such items, but because I live in the middle of nowhere nobody will ever get the reference or even make the connection that my attire is related to some video game I like. But even then, I keep those sort of shirts for an around-the-house kinda thing, or when I'm running errands around the neighborhood. They're my "whatever" clothes.

Going out or going to work I'd dress up clean cut. I don't mind labels, I don't see much difference between a plain t-shirt with "Adidas" written on it and a Nintendo one. It just depends on the overall look of the shirt and how you look in it.

Oh, I also have this one.

411R21XR77L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

god amongst men

Oh Franklin... too far... again :) hahaha

Some great shirts in here, some that I wish I owned. But I still rate the one Jav showed off the other day in the purchases thread as #1 :)

god amongst men

Oh Franklin... too far... again :) hahaha

Some great shirts in here, some that I wish I owned. But I still rate the one Jav showed off the other day in the purchases thread as #1 :)

See I don't get why some think the shirt in the OP or mine would be "too far" or "over the limit".

Is it cause they are instantly associated with being games related?

Is that why some would prefer the more obscure type design/picture so friends, family or randoms on the street won't be able to instantly tell it is games related and call you a "geek" or "nerd" because of it?

(Don't get me wrong I do like the less "in your face" stuff posted here...especially the Sensible Soccer one above and Mr_Odwins Zelda one and SHorty's "Make it Rain" :love:....where to get and how much?)

As Animal said I don't give a toss what others think of me because of what might or might not be on my t-shirt. If someone thought I was a geek or a nerd and felt the need to point that out to me (thinking it might upset me), I wouldn't care cause I know I am a nerd so to me being called one or the other isn't a negetive. :grin: (I actually get it a fair bit on my Youtuve vids, trolls trying to upset me calling me a nerd or geek... I don't know why they waste their time pointing out the obvious :heh:)

If I like something I like to have some kind of merch to show it. Finding official tees here can be hard and ordering online the tees can be expensive. The cost of getting the ones I have made in the Philippines is about 10-15 euro depending on exchange rates.

I have actually had several occasions of people coming up to me in stores or walking past me on the street, while wearing one of my shirts (usually it the Zelda ones) complimenting me saying the shirt was awesome. I've not had any occasion of a negetive response/reaction (to my face).

Me (or anyone) wearing a tee with a games logo on front and artwork on back, I don't see how much different that is to someone wearing the jersey of their fav football team or other sports team. I don't think many would see that as "over the limit":wink:

Edited by Mokong

I'm all for living your life the way you want to and the way that makes you happy. As much as people love to criticize Honey Boo Boo's family, they are incredibly happy, way way happier than most of us will ever be. They're fat ignorant slobs, but their whole lives revolve around having fun and doing the things they really like in a no judgement environment. Or the Juggalo communities, that's another good example. Yeah, they're dumb and listen to shit music, but they're fucking happy. And not our fake kind of happiness that we sort of guilt ourselves into feeling for achieving the goals society told us we should thrive for, no... it's that pure kind of happy that only exists when one is living in an environment of complete acceptance, towards oneself and towards others as well. It must be fucking liberating.

But alas, we as a society are a bunch of judgemental cynics, and deep down most of us are narcissistic sociopaths who end up condemning everyone who does things in ways we do not approve for ourselves. When you dress like a 15 year old wrestling fan from 1997, you kind of have to expect a certain backlash.

If I'm being completely honest, since I know you from here I can make that separation in my head, but if I ever crossed paths with you on the street with no background or context I'd probably immediatly assume you were this virgin uber-nerd who's really into Nintendo, D&D and compulsive masturbation. Truth is, no matter who you are, strangers will assume certain things about you depending on how you choose present yourself. It's wrong and we all know it's wrong... but we still do it. The most recent trend is hating the hipsters and assuming they have a specific personality and attitude because of how they dress. Just go check the Onesies thread and you'll see just how much hatred we can muster for someone just from what they're wearing! Like it or not, fashion has become the way people make their first impressions of one another.

I agree with Oxigen here to an extent. I don't have many geeky shirts. Partly because I don't see many good ones, partly because I have very little money. But if I'm going out somewhere where I have to meet new people, I wouldn't wear something like that Zelda shirt. Although if I'm just going to college where I'm clearly not trying to impress anyone, then I'll happily wear one of my two geeky shirts. I only have the two.

t-shirt-spongebob-squarepants-smile-shr.jpg

bhas1031.jpg

The good thing about the second one is that most people don't get it at all. So I can wear it wherever. I even had this 50 year old teacher compliment it once, as well as other people. It does fit well though.

I agree that if it looks nice and doesn't have a logo plastered, then it's a pretty good shirt.

But alas, we as a society are a bunch of judgemental cynics, and deep down most of us are narcissistic sociopaths who end up condemning everyone who does things in ways we do not approve for ourselves. When you dress like a 15 year old wrestling fan from 1997, you kind of have to expect a certain backlash.

If I'm being completely honest, since I know you from here I can make that separation in my head, but if I ever crossed paths with you on the street with no background or context I'd probably immediatly assume you were this virgin uber-nerd who's really into Nintendo, D&D and compulsive masturbation. Truth is, no matter who you are, strangers will assume certain things about you depending on how you choose present yourself. It's wrong and we all know it's wrong... but we still do it. The most recent trend is hating the hipsters and assuming they have a specific personality and attitude because of how they dress. Just go check the Onesies thread and you'll see just how much hatred we can muster for someone just from what they're wearing! Like it or not, fashion has become the way people make their first impressions of one another.

See again I don't get why I or anyone should care what strangers on the street who I may never see ever again think of my t-shirt, which they may or may not even take notice of.

Worrying about what strangers might think is not what I think about when I am putting on a shirt in the morning.

I know society has it's negetive tendencies and even if someone equated the tee I'm wearing to some negetive sterotype about me, frak them, that's their problem not mine, it won't bother me.

I am really into Nintendo, so what? Why should that be something to hide? I've had may an enjoyable hour playing various games from Nintendo ro otherwise and proud of it.

Should someone who's a big fan of Man Utd not wear a replica jersey because they might pass fans from other teams or people who don't like sport/football? And I doubt there's many people who know what D&D is who aren't a little geeky/nerdy themselves (I've never actually played D&D myself :()

Again any time I've had someone actually make a comment on or talk to me about a tee I was wearing it's been positive anyway. Granted those were likely Nintendo fans anyway. I never had anyone direct negetivity towards me (verbally or witha dirty look) cause of a t-shirt and if they did they'd likely be yobs anyway who I'd just ignore.

Going back to my YT for a minute. If I worried much about what strangers thought of me I'd prolly have stopped making YT vids years ago. I remember in my early days getting comments from trolls who were also from Waterford. Once while out in the city (I assume it was them) a few lads across the street started shouting at me using my YT username (callin me a nerd and saying I suck and the like). I took no notice and just kept walking and ignored them, it not worth my energy to react and that is prolly all they wanted, to think they "got to me" and their only makin themselves look like fools to everyone else on the street.

That was bout 6 years ago, I've not seen (or heard from) them again since.

I have on the flip side had many other people recognise me from my YT and be highly positive encounters.

The Onesies thing I class as something different. They obviously stand out a lot more as they are a full "suit" compared to a t-shirt.

The Onesie thing must be a UK thing cause I've not seen any round here (maybe there's a few in Dublin but I'm not there often) but if I did see someone in one sure I'd think they looked a bit silly, prolly cause they look like adult sized baby clothes, but I wouldn't say anything to them or give a dirty look or anything though.

If they are comfortable enough to wear one they obviously don't care what strangers think either. I'd rekcon someone wearing a Onesie is well aware they would stand out in the crowd.

With a tee shirt, be it one of my gaming shirts or otherwise I doubt there's as many people who even take much notice anyway. I know I rarely take notice of what most other people on the street are wearing....but maybe that's just me.

Edited by Mokong

I lost track of fashion ages ago...

I go into places like Top Man, Burton, Republic, Primark etc etc and see clothes like this for sale.

71Y05FOFF_thumb.jpg

71Y03FBRG_thumb.jpg

71P53FBLK_thumb.jpg

71Z75ENAV_thumb.jpg

71R12FBLE_thumb.jpg

37F07FCHR_thumb.jpg

And I'm wondering is this really fashionable, it's the sort of stuff i'd buy for a fancy dress costume.

I tend to buy t-shirts from Primark, but the ones I do buy have some form of nerd / geek reference. I've bought Superman, Batman, Spiderman, Gremlins, Ghostbusters, Hulk t-shirts from there.

If not a geek t-shirt like that, then It's a skate or surf brand for me O'Neill, Airwalk, Element, Adios etc...

But 90%of my t-shirts are comic book / movie / game related.

I know society has it's negetive tendencies and even if someone equated the tee I'm wearing to some negetive sterotype about me, frak them, that's their problem not mine, it won't bother me.

You're my hero.

you were this virgin uber-nerd who's really into Nintendo, D&D and compulsive masturbation

Damn, you got me.

See I don't get why some think the shirt in the OP or mine would be "too far" or "over the limit".

Is it cause they are instantly associated with being games related?

Is that why some would prefer the more obscure type design/picture so friends, family or randoms on the street won't be able to instantly tell it is games related and call you a "geek" or "nerd" because of it?

(Don't get me wrong I do like the less "in your face" stuff posted here...especially the Sensible Soccer one above and Mr_Odwins Zelda one and SHorty's "Make it Rain" :love:....where to get and how much?)

As Animal said I don't give a toss what others think of me because of what might or might not be on my t-shirt. If someone thought I was a geek or a nerd and felt the need to point that out to me (thinking it might upset me), I wouldn't care cause I know I am a nerd so to me being called one or the other isn't a negetive. :grin: (I actually get it a fair bit on my Youtuve vids, trolls trying to upset me calling me a nerd or geek... I don't know why they waste their time pointing out the obvious :heh:)

If I like something I like to have some kind of merch to show it. Finding official tees here can be hard and ordering online the tees can be expensive. The cost of getting the ones I have made in the Philippines is about 10-15 euro depending on exchange rates.

I have actually had several occasions of people coming up to me in stores or walking past me on the street, while wearing one of my shirts (usually it the Zelda ones) complimenting me saying the shirt was awesome. I've not had any occasion of a negetive response/reaction (to my face).

Me (or anyone) wearing a tee with a games logo on front and artwork on back, I don't see how much different that is to someone wearing the jersey of their fav football team or other sports team. I don't think many would see that as "over the limit":wink:

I totally agree with all of this. People compliment my shirts and say they're nice and then I get the people who (apparently) insult me and say "Nice shirt, is that from Primark?" and they laugh and me being serious, I said "Nah, from George at Asda" and they laugh more. Apparently that's an insult? I'm glad I don't really follow the fashion. I've been going into some of the clothes shop as of late and some of the designs are either lazy or just horrible to me. I don't judge the person wearing it, it makes them happy, but the design just isn't to my taste. Give me a geeky shirt over that any day of the week. I love my Gremlins one, it's amazing and I wear that shit with pride, motherfuckers! :D

5053425078869?hei=382&wid=305&resmode=sharp&op_usm=1.1,0.5,0,0&defaultimage=default_details_George_rd

I'm all for living your life the way you want to and the way that makes you happy. As much as people love to criticize Honey Boo Boo's family, they are incredibly happy, way way happier than most of us will ever be. They're fat ignorant slobs, but their whole lives revolve around having fun and doing the things they really like in a no judgement environment. Or the Juggalo communities, that's another good example. Yeah, they're dumb and listen to shit music, but they're fucking happy. And not our fake kind of happiness that we sort of guilt ourselves into feeling for achieving the goals society told us we should thrive for, no... it's that pure kind of happy that only exists when one is living in an environment of complete acceptance, towards oneself and towards others as well. It must be fucking liberating.

To be fair though, people will always do that. If you wear something with skulls on, people would either think you're goth, rocker or depressing. If you wear a tracksuit, you're a chav. If you wear a hoodie, you're trouble (which I have done because a lot of times in my area, they are). For men, if you wear pink, you're gay (I've seen this happen before). It's just stupid. People don't think I'm geeky at first until I open my mouth and talk, lmao. I don't care though, I'm happy and I hurt no-one so screw them. I ride a motorbike now so I'm the coolest geek on the damn planet! ;) :awesome:

See again I don't get why I or anyone should care what strangers on the street who I may never see ever again think of my t-shirt, which they may or may not even take notice of.

Worrying about what strangers might think is not what I think about when I am putting on a shirt in the morning.

I am really into Nintendo, so what? Why should that be something to hide? I've had may an enjoyable hour playing various games from Nintendo ro otherwise and proud of it.

Should someone who's a big fan of Man Utd not wear a replica jersey because they might pass fans from other teams or people who don't like sport/football? And I doubt there's many people who know what D&D is who aren't a little geeky/nerdy themselves (I've never actually played D&D myself :()

Again any time I've had someone actually make a comment on or talk to me about a tee I was wearing it's been positive anyway. Granted those were likely Nintendo fans anyway. I never had anyone direct negetivity towards me (verbally or witha dirty look) cause of a t-shirt and if they did they'd likely be yobs anyway who I'd just ignore.

Going back to my YT for a minute. If I worried much about what strangers thought of me I'd prolly have stopped making YT vids years ago. I remember in my early days getting comments from trolls who were also from Waterford. Once while out in the city (I assume it was them) a few lads across the street started shouting at me using my YT username (callin me a nerd and saying I suck and the like). I took no notice and just kept walking and ignored them, it not worth my energy to react and that is prolly all they wanted, to think they "got to me" and their only makin themselves look like fools to everyone else on the street.

That was bout 6 years ago, I've not seen (or heard from) them again since.

I have on the flip side had many other people recognise me from my YT and be highly positive encounters.

The Onesies thing I class as something different. They obviously stand out a lot more as they are a full "suit" compared to a t-shirt.

The Onesie thing must be a UK thing cause I've not seen any round here (maybe there's a few in Dublin but I'm not there often) but if I did see someone in one sure I'd think they looked a bit silly, prolly cause they look like adult sized baby clothes, but I wouldn't say anything to them or give a dirty look or anything though.

If they are comfortable enough to wear one they obviously don't care what strangers think either. I'd rekcon someone wearing a Onesie is well aware they would stand out in the crowd.

With a tee shirt, be it one of my gaming shirts or otherwise I doubt there's as many people who even take much notice anyway. I know I rarely take notice of what most other people on the street are wearing....but maybe that's just me.

Same here. Whenever I wear a t-shirt, it's not because I think strangers would accept it but it's because if I like it and I'm in the mood for said shirt. Someone at work told me that I should start wearing tighter shirts but I prefer my t-shirts baggy. I don't like it when I wear a t-shirt and it's tight. If people have a problem with that, as Tony Montana would say, eh fock you mehn!

As Franklin has said, I don't see wearing geeky shirts any different than wearing football t-shirts. When you wear a geeky shirt, you're showing that you like the game/movie/band/whatever, when you're wearing a football shirt, you're showing you like and support the club (and by the way, before I say this, football supporters: shut up! :p, but I own a Birmingham City shirt).

If I worried too much about what other people think, I'd never leave the bloody house! I've had people insult my fashion taste. I didn't care. I'm happy I don't follow the latest fashion because I think a lot of the designs are garbage such as the shirts Murr pointed out. I wouldn't judge the person wearing it but I wouldn't like the design. Like, I wouldn't think "How on earth can he/she be seen in public wearing that?" but more "I don't really like that design". I follow my own fashion. I don't wear shit so people will accept me. I wear my own shit for me. If I started wearing anything different and started wearing whatever society tells me to, I wouldn't accept myself.

People need to realise that they shouldn't care at all what other people think because if you do that, you'll never truly be happy. Also some of the t-shirts are seriously overpriced. Like I saw a Rihanna t-shirt that was just her album cover on a white t-shirt, nothing else. £35 for that t-shirt! I'd never pay that for a t-shirt. Too much. My best mate spent £130 on a pair of jeans! She could have bought herself a PS3 or a 360 for that much! The latest fad seems to be ladies in lingerie or a bikini or bra and panties with their eyes covered, which isn't a bad thing in my book :p but those shirts are priced quite high as well. I could make my own and it'd look just as good!

I don't think I've ever agreed more with you. It's a sad state of affairs, but there's not much we can do about it except do what makes us happy and try not to care what strangers might think. Oh, and also ...

this virgin uber-nerd who's really into Nintendo, D&D and compulsive masturbation.

... replace D&D with Magic: The Gathering and you've more or less got me. :laughing:

If I worried too much about what other people think, I'd never leave the bloody house! I've had people insult my fashion taste. I didn't care. I'm happy I don't follow the latest fashion because I think a lot of the designs are garbage such as the shirts Murr pointed out. I wouldn't judge the person wearing it but I wouldn't like the design. Like, I wouldn't think "How on earth can he/she be seen in public wearing that?" but more "I don't really like that design". I follow my own fashion. I don't wear shit so people will accept me. I wear my own shit for me. If I started wearing anything different and started wearing whatever society tells me to, I wouldn't accept myself.

Amen. Also, in general, people with negative opinions usually keep them to themselves while people with positive opinions more often express them. I for one make sure to compliment strangers if I like their outfit, especially if they're wearing something geeky or uncommon that you know takes courage to wear in public. :)

Amen. Also, in general, people with negative opinions usually keep them to themselves while people with positive opinions more often express them. I for one make sure to compliment strangers if I like their outfit, especially if they're wearing something geeky or uncommon that you know takes courage to wear in public. :)

Yup, that's right. I complimented someone wearing a Metallica jacket and I really wanted it. They were friendly enough to tell me where they bought it from but alas, they said they bought it when there was a sale on and now it's gone back to full price but there are other jackets so it's all good.

I think the only thing I would say that draws the line for me is people wearing pyjamas or onesies in public unless it's for charity. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for wearing what you like but I think some things are meant for indoors. They have guts to wear it out in public but how are they not cold wearing it?! I'm freezing and I wear two layers!

Unfortunately it's not the cultural norm in Denmark to just approach strangers, so people I compliment usually get a bit awkward and reply with a meek "thank you". :heh: I wish we were more open in that regard here. I mean, once we've become acquainted with someone, we're supposedly some of the friendliest, most welcoming people! But until then you're nothing but air to us! :heh:

I love this one, though it's a bit 'loud' so I only wear it out occasionally :p

103_1.jpg

I love this one, wear it often:

t-shirt-of-the-day-eggman-industries-20110706062321475.jpg

and this is just heavenly:

18_2.jpg

I would just like to say that there's been far too much posting of male models in your shirts, and not enough posting of yourselves in said shirts...

Adding to the discussion, clearly I was joking when I said too far to you Franklin (N-europe shirt might be a stretch...!)... When I see someone wearing a 'geeky' shirt I only ever think that it's a good thing. At worst it means they have a reasonable sense of humour, willing to have a laugh at their own expense, or they might be somewhat interesting... What someone wears does actually say a great deal about them :P A lot of people here claim that they don't care what people think of them for wearing geeky shirts, but that's exactly one of the vibes that you're giving off.

A chick I was seeing for a bit recently owned a shirt that said "You can't take the sky from me"... many goods :)