NEurope
Charlie

Tennis 2013

I only started watching because I was waiting for Murray's game and figured this would be over by now :heh:

So glad I did though, that tie break was pure joy! Hopefully Del Po can keep it up!

Have to agree with @Shorty as well, if Murray were to play like he did against Verdasco then both of these guys would destroy him!

Of course he has to beat Janowicz first though...

Don't ask me why but leaving Out Of Time by R.E.M. playing in the background makes for some curiously atmospheric tennis.

Superb 5th set this.

"It's crazy what you could have had,

crazy what you could have had,

I need this, I neeeeed thiiiiiis"

"Game Djocovic"

Brilliant match, I tip my hat to both players. Sorry there had to be a loser. Was worthy of being the final.

hats-off-o.gif

How do you follow that? Good luck trying to follow that Murray, Janowicz!

I think Janowicz might just pee his pants and lose. I just hope he has the bottle for the occasion and the crowd. Flipkens, part 2?

You can tell that 5 set match has had something of a lasting effect on Murray, but he's still playing solidly. Some great aces, not really sure where this match will go.

Fair play Janowicz. Needs a lot of improvement though. Those drop shots are simply awful and was abismal on Murray's serve until the tie-break.

Stop playing the drop shots Janowicz, a dead blindfolded donkey could play them better than you.

Another great match, but having to close the roof now will halt Murray's momentum somewhat. Pain in the arse. Don't think Janowicz will mind too much, as he seemed to be quite keen on the roof being closed earlier on in the match.

It was a great match, so different from that before it though. A real measure of speed, power and reaction times. I thought they both made too big a deal of the roof though. On a calm day how much does it really matter...?

On the roof front. With it hard to predict just how long the light will last, it's. lot fairer to both players to close it the beginning of the set when both players are level. It would have kicked up hell if they closed it as someone hard to serve to stay in the set/match.

Am I the only one that will be rooting for Bartoli? Lisicki seems quited loved by the British.

It was a great match, so different from that before it though. A real measure of speed, power and reaction times. I thought they both made too big a deal of the roof though. On a calm day how much does it really matter...?

On the roof front. With it hard to predict just how long the light will last, it's. lot fairer to both players to close it the beginning of the set when both players are level. It would have kicked up hell if they closed it as someone hard to serve to stay in the set/match.

I agree with Jon here, it was more to do with the timing of the roof coming on, plus the fact that Janowicz seemed to be pushing it for quite some time, so it looked like the umpire had just given in to him.

It's an outdoor tournament, and imo the weather conditions were acceptable for the match to be carried on. If they had wanted to close the roof, it should have been done either earlier when the match was equal, or it should have been done where some kind of instrument could measure whether play is acceptable in those conditions. I understand that cricket has some kind of instrument that measures this, why not have that in tennis?

Still, the match was great and I thought Murray did well to dig deep and pull off the win. Wouldn't surprise me if Janowicz went on to become a Grand Slam winner in the future, he has a quality serve and he'll only get better with age and maturity. A dangerous player for the future.

Am I the only one that will be rooting for Bartoli? Lisicki seems quited loved by the British.

Bartoli gave one hell of a performance against Flipkens. I'm neutral with this and will enjoy whoever wins. No preference.

This match is heartbraking!! Just want to give her a hug.

If I was in the crowd I'd have shouted out 'just relax, we love you!'

Edited by Retro_Link

Felt sorry for Lisicki. She didn't get going until the end of the second set, but it was far too late by that point. Her serving was dreadful.

That match summed up why I hate Women's Tennis. I've seen that happen so often in Women Grand Slam finals. The nerves get to them and they can't perform anywhere near where they've been previously.

Edited by Jon

Very happy for Bartoli, been a fan of her for a long time.

So pumped for the match tomorrow. I've been re-watching some of their many matches over the years in anticipation. Obviously I want Murray to win but above all I'd just love to see another classic like they've produced on so many occasions. When these two play nowadays, the winner tends to be the one who can still walk. Exaggeration of course but they're mirror image of each other in the way that they play the game, very few cheap points because they return so well and they're both so physically fit.

That match summed up why I hate Women's Tennis. I've seen that happen so often in Women Grand Slam finals. The nerves get to them and they can't perform anywhere near where they've been previously.

I get the feeling that if there were more sets that Lisicki could have gained some momentum. 3 sets really hinders the women's game. You're pretty much fucked if you go one set down and lose a break or something. In the men's game, you can be 2 sets down and still go on to win the match. It's over too quickly in the women's game.

I think it was just that Sabine only managed to get over her nerve's when she was facing championship point... I know obviously she knew it was slipping away, but that was her final chance and damn did she take it!... it's just by then it was too tough to make up the difference.

I've been a fan of hers for a number of years now, I'm so glad she performed like she did throughout the championship and hopefully this is great experience for future years! She'll get that Grand Slam! :)

Some absolutely cracking Tennis so far. I've got a strange feeling that this is going to be a long one...

Oh dear. Three championship points wasted...

EDIT. But well done Andy - totally deserved.

Edited by Dog-amoto

I'm so happy for Andy Murray. Thoroughly deserved.

I wanted a comeback...oh well.

At least we got a great Final.