NEurope
Charlie

Tennis 2013

At one point Murray went mental at the crowd because they were making noises during points, it affected him as well as Verdasco. The ooohing and ahhing are part of the game when you have spectators. It affects both players and they're both more than used to it. Verdasco is a former Grand Slam semi-finalist and was up to 7th in the world not too long ago. He's more than used to playing the top players at the highest level.

He's made 1 semi-final and he was at no.7. That was many years ago. He's not now and isn't ranked so he's hardly a world beater. Yes I remember that point when Murray gave the Evils to someone up in the crowd for taking a photo. He hadn't even taken his serve and just shows what a contrary so and so he is when things aren't going his way. Verdasco acted with impeccable manners unlike Murray.

I predict a Bartoli v Lisicki final and I hope Lisicki wins.

He's made 1 semi-final and he was at no.7. That was many years ago. He's not now and isn't ranked so he's hardly a world beater. Yes I remember that point when Murray gave the Evils to someone up in the crowd for taking a photo. He hadn't even taken his serve and just shows what a contrary so and so he is when things aren't going his way. Verdasco acted with impeccable manners unlike Murray.

You strike me as someone who has absolutely zero knowledge of tennis and only ever watch it during Wimbledon.

The crowd making noises during points affects both players. Ofcourse Murray is going to have a partisan crowd in his home Grand Slam. Verdasco gets a partisan crowd in any tournament, of which there are a few big ones, in Spain.

These are professional tennis players, not some amateurs who aren't used to playing in front of big crowds.

Apparently Verdasco is Spains mens number 9. Nine! That is ridiculous.

You strike me as someone who has absolutely zero knowledge of tennis and only ever watch it during Wimbledon.

The crowd making noises during points affects both players. Ofcourse Murray is going to have a partisan crowd in his home Grand Slam. Verdasco gets a partisan crowd in any tournament, of which there are a few big ones, in Spain.

These are professional tennis players, not some amateurs who aren't used to playing in front of big crowds.

Well you're wrong. Are any of the grand slams in Spain? No. When I was watching Tsonga in the French Open the crowd didn't behave anything like the Wimbledon crowd. I don't remember the umpire repeatedly telling the crowd to shut up during points.

I should have expected it though when there was louts like old whiskey nose Alex Ferguson in the crowd. :grin:

Edited by Wii

Well you're wrong. Are any of the grand slams in Spain? No. When I was watching Tsonga in the French Open the crowd didn't behave anything like the Wimbledon crowd. I don't remember the umpire repeatedly telling the crowd to shut up during points.

I should have expected it though when there was louts like old whiskey nose Alex Ferguson in the crowd. :grin:

Gasquet vs Murray at the French, Tomic vs Murray at Adelaide. 2 matches that immediately spring to mind involving Murray that featured crowds against him.

The only person making an issue of this seems to be you. Verdasco hasn't complained about it, Youzhny in last round made a point in saying how good the crowd were.

There's a Masters and 2 or 3 big 500 tournaments in Spain whereas Britain only has Wimbledon and then Queens Club which is a 250.

The French crowd are notoriously partisan and even hostile. In 2002 (or around then) they were cheering Serena Williams double faults.

I was surprised to hear that the French Open crowd are hostile towards Nadal, i thought they'd love him because he was eight time champion.

Everyone cheers for Federer though, he gets a home crowd everywhere he goes.

2 Scots sticking up for a Scot. Well I never would have guessed. I'm done with this conversation now. Thanks.

I love Lisicki, such a nice, happy, bubbly personality. It helps that she's a stunner as well. Really hope she wins the title.

Feel sorry for Lisicki. She's way off the mark. She's not herself today. Can't see her winning this match now unless she finds her form again from the 1st set.

What a great match. So happy for Lisicki to have won. Such a great turnaround and showed terrific determination.

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

2 Scots sticking up for a Scot. Well I never would have guessed. I'm done with this conversation now. Thanks.

If you genuinely believe that I am shocked. Regardless it was absolutely unnecessary and uncalled for. Behave yourself. I mean that very seriously.

The only person making an issue of this seems to be you. Verdasco hasn't complained about it, Youzhny in last round made a point in saying how good the crowd were.

Yeah I thought the crowd were pretty good in the bits of the Youzhny match that I saw, seemed to be relatively fair support for him too.

Despite how atrocious some of the post-match questions are, I find it very refreshing to see Murray now to a few years ago. As Flink said, he seems to keep a level head(recognising how hard matches might be despite the public's opinion) and adjusted to the pressure. I actually thought his comments post match with Youzhny were pretty humble; when asked if Verdasco would be a challenge he mentioned how many better players than him had already gone out in this tournament; just seemed he was approaching it the right way.

I think a lot of the game is in the mind given it's a 1-on-1 sport, and he seems to have definitely grown up into it. Robson will hopefully get that sort of thing soon, very much looking forward to how she does over the next year or so!

If you genuinely believe that I am shocked. Regardless it was absolutely unnecessary and uncalled for. Behave yourself. I mean that very seriously.

Plus myself, and I think most other Scottish tennis fans, think of Murray as British because that's the flag he plays under. :P

I'm SOOOOO happy Sabine is in the final!! :) Been a fan of hers for a good few years now, and it was an incredible match!!

Felt quite sorry for Flipkens earlier. I listened to her match on the radio as I was driving at the time, and from the sounds of it she just didn't get going at all. Pure and utter stage-fright. I don't think she really believed she could get to the final and just went through the motions today.

I'm the first to call Murray British not Scottish. Much like him, I'm proud to be both.

Anyway, I think Lendl has worked wonder with Murray and the mental aspect of the game. He very rarely loses the plot nowadays. I don't think you want him to lose that entirely, i do like a bit of emotion now and again, not full time robotic mode.

I'm the first to call Murray British not Scottish. Much like him, I'm proud to be both.

Anyway, I think Lendl has worked wonder with Murray and the mental aspect of the game. He very rarely loses the plot nowadays. I don't think you want him to lose that entirely, i do like a bit of emotion now and again, not full time robotic mode.

Arguably, that's why a lot of people both like and dislike Federer. They like him because he's calm, collected and smooth like butter. They don't like him because he exhibits almost zero emotion or passion. The guy doesn't even sweat!

Does anyone know if you can catch up on the matches online afterwards? I've realised I'm probably going to miss the rest of Wimbledon now :(

I predict and hope it's a Janowicz v Djokovic final. Got the women's final prediction right. Just hope Janowicz doesn't bottle it like Verdasco did.

I predict and hope it's a Janowicz v Djokovic final.

Trolololo.

I predict and hope that your arms fall off, rendering you unable to type ever again.

It'll be a close match. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Janowicz wins it. His serve is obscene.

Trolololo.

I predict and hope that your arms fall off, rendering you unable to type ever again.

It'll be a close match. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Janowicz wins it. His serve is obscene.

Why, because I don't want Murray to win? I don't like him, he's not a nice person, simple. Anyway it'll just delay the inevitable. Whoever gets to the final I believe Djokovic will beat. All the OTT hype and a$$ kissing is sickening.

Murray is not this great world beater, he's had an easy path thus far and if Verdasco, an unseeded player had held it together, he'd have beaten him in straight sets.

Your right, Jonowicz's serve is better than a bullet being fired.

Why, because I don't want Murray to win? I don't like him, he's not a nice person, simple. Anyway it'll just delay the inevitable. Whoever gets to the final I believe Djokovic will beat. All the OTT hype and a$$ kissing is sickening.

Murray is not this great world beater, he's had an easy path this far and if Verdasco, an unseeded player had held it together, he'd have beaten him in straight sets.

Your right, Jonowicz's serve is better than a bullet being fired.

You can only beat what's in front of you. Federer and Nadal went out to supposedly easier opponents, it doesn't mean that they're suddenly not world beaters. Murray is a class act and considering that he's consistently making it to semi-finals and finals of major tournaments, he must be doing something right.

Jonowicz's serve will get tangled in my heeeeeeeeadwiiiiires.

Well i'm not the world's greatest Murray fan, but he is number 2 in the world, so you can't really say he's complete rubbish.

Djo-Delpo seems to be an exciting match so far! First time either of them have dropped a set in this tournament too.

Thought Djokovic had this match when he broke in the fourth but Del Po broke straight back. Looks to be heading for another tie break...

This semi-final is magnificent.

I%20can%20fap%20to%20this.gif

Del Petro is brilliant, and although he's almost certainly not going to be in the final, he has played fantastically well.

Wow, saved two match points in a row with some superb shots then took his first set point.

This is incredible tennis!

How the fuck did he manage that?!

I can definitely fap to this. What a match.

I can't help but think Murray couldn't beat either of these guys right now.