NEurope
Charlie

Tennis 2013

Fuuuuuuuuuck. Never bet on women's tennis. It is the most unpredictable sport ever.

Tbh I was thinking that already. He's got an easier ride now! I haven't been following it much because of general busyness and work this year, but I was astounded when I heard Nadal went out to a low seed, and then Federer too! The amount of injuries/forfeits has been a bit bizarre. Do you reckon Murray can do it though, even with this? I think it's gonna be him and Djokovich in the final - that'll be a worthy match nonetheless but...can he do it?

Again sadly I haven't caught much of her play(just read that she's gone out). She's still quite young and climbing, so I think you're right to say she won't have that mental aspect quite down yet. A knockback like this might be enough to spur her on though, maybe she'll come back with a vengence next year.

EDIT: Just checked - 9 years difference between the two of them! There's a lot of life in there, no just on the court confidence. She's definitely one to watch out for in coming years.

She's definitely one to watch for the future. If she had won the first set, which she really should have, she would've gone on to won it and set up a QF with Lisicki. A QF would take her up to around 21st in the World, I believe 4th round will be mid-twenties which is a fantastic achievement for a 19 year old.

Andy Murray is a break up in the first set of his 4th round match against Youzhny. I don't expect him to have many problems! Looks like his QF will be against Fernando Verdasco who has just gone 2 sets up.

Couldn't be happier Lisicki's through!! :D

What a great game! Love her.

I saw the final set and she really was fantastic and it was great to see someone so happy and playing with a smile on their face : peace:

She's definitely one to watch for the future. If she had won the first set, which she really should have, she would've gone on to won it and set up a QF with Lisicki. A QF would take her up to around 21st in the World, I believe 4th round will be mid-twenties which is a fantastic achievement for a 19 year old.

Andy Murray is a break up in the first set of his 4th round match against Youzhny. I don't expect him to have many problems! Looks like his QF will be against Fernando Verdasco who has just gone 2 sets up.

Caught it whilst he was down in the second and still watching. Pretty good match imo. Came back well. Hopefully ain't hurt himself, I'm worried if he doesn't take this set he's gonna give up and lose the match. Tie break, he's gotta get this!

Couldn't be happier Lisicki's through!! :D

What a great game! Love her.

She really did deserve it. She was a joy to watch. So refreshing to see somebody so positive and happy. Even when points went against her she was still smiling. The 2 lucky net points in a row that Serena got, she could still see the funny side. I hope now she goes on to win. Serena was a miserable b!t@h the whole way through. Good riddance!

Even though I only saw half of Murray's second set, I thought it was rather cracking stuff!

Can't ever remember seeing Murray play so badly. 2 sets down and looking all over the place... :/

Playing terribly. Was hoping that point at 0-15 when Verdasco was serving would be a turning point. 0-40 and couldn't convert any of them. Not good enough.

Murray playing it on Hard Mode it seems...

Can't ever remember seeing Murray play so badly. 2 sets down and looking all over the place... :/

You clearly don't remember many of his QF's from a few years back. The majority were titanic struggles.

Would love to see Bartoli in the final again. Lisicki/Radwanska could potentially spank her really hard, but Bartoli's chances are significantly better than last time.

Joined in the 3rd set, all looked against Murray. For the remaining two and a half sets I saw...great stuff from both sides. That end to the 2nd game in the 4th was mad but good, both of them all over the court and still getting the returns.

Enjoyed watching that, especially given half chat with Eddage on fb during it! Some very tense Tennis for me!

I feel sorry for anybody playing against Murray and the crowd don't help even shouting during points. Verdasco just didn't have the bottle to see it out. It was such a partisan crowd. How many times did the umpire tell them to stop shouting during points?

Edited by Wii

Only once from what I saw? When someone shouting an out that wasn't? The crowd'll always be on a brit's side, that's just part of it. It isn't like they totally stonewall the opposition though.

The umpire should've said something more often. Must be so off-putting to have the crowd cheering against you when you haven't even lost the point yet, only to have your return followed by "ooohs". That and the clapping at the hawkeye camera are just lame. Please, have some quiet British dignity Wimbledon...

Only once from what I saw? When someone shouting an out that wasn't? The crowd'll always be on a brit's side, that's just part of it. It isn't like they totally stonewall the opposition though.

It was most certainly not only once and even when the umpire tried saying anything to the crowd they half drowned him out. They didn't boo Verdasco, nothing like it but the crowd couldn't have been any more biased and it began to start in the 3rd set when it seemed like they tried to influence the match. I doubt Murray was put off by this as he's used to this attention at Wimbledon but for a non ranked player like Verdasco I'm sure it was extremely distracting and disconcerting. It detracted from the match, that and Murray's swearing and moaning.

Edited by Wii

This isn't anything new though, this is how Wimbledon is every single year!

I don't mind crowd bias, that's to be expected, it's the home-field advantage. However putting off the opposition mid-point is just not on.

It was most certainly not only once and even when the umpire tried saying anything to the crowd they half drowned him out. They didn't boo Verdasco, nothing like it but the crowd couldn't have been any more biased and it began to start in the 3rd set when it seemed like they tried to influence the match. I doubt Murray was put off by this as he's used to this attention at Wimbledon but for a non ranked player like Verdasco I'm sure it was extremely distracting and disconcerting. It detracted from the match, that and Murray's swearing and moaning.

Rubbish.

Verdasco is a former world no 7 who's been in grand slam semis, he isn't some rookie. It's Murray's home tournament, every players he faces knows they're going to be up against it, as Murray is when he plays French players at Roland Garros.

It was hardly anything earth shattering, I've seen Murray involved in far noisier matches at Wimbledon. There was plenty of cheering for Verdasco as well. Every player swears, it only more noticeable for Murray because he does it in English. How can any of that affect your enjoyment of the match, it's about the Tennis not the sideshow that goes with it.

I've been following the French Open and now this but haven't been posting as we don't seem to have a massive tennis fanbase, or so I thought.

I have to lol at some of the haters out there. "Andy's too grumpy!" "The crowd are too biased towards Murray!" "Oh, Andy shouldn't get angry during matches!" "Oh, Murray just wins, there's no heart!"

Fuck, we moan so much. I have to say that I am grateful that we have somebody who represents Britain who actually gives a shit about the sport and is actually really bluddy good at it. So what if he gets angry during a match, that shows determination and the fact that he wants to win. It's far, far better than having that Tim "nice guy" Henman who was always polite and would always get his arse kicked. We seem to love losers so much in this country.

Also, this:

Ridiculous questions.

There was another peach yesterday. Something along the lines of "Did you find that match harder than it should have been?" to which Andy replied, "No, I knew it was going to be hard, it's all of you who were saying that it was going to be easy that was the problem."

I had to applaud that. He's level headed.

I feel sorry for anybody playing against Murray and the crowd don't help even shouting during points. Verdasco just didn't have the bottle to see it out. It was such a partisan crowd. How many times did the umpire tell them to stop shouting during points?

The umpire should've said something more often. Must be so off-putting to have the crowd cheering against you when you haven't even lost the point yet, only to have your return followed by "ooohs". That and the clapping at the hawkeye camera are just lame. Please, have some quiet British dignity Wimbledon...

At one point Murray went mental at the crowd because they were making noises during points, it affected him as well as Verdasco. The ooohing and ahhing are part of the game when you have spectators. It affects both players and they're both more than used to it. Verdasco is a former Grand Slam semi-finalist and was up to 7th in the world not too long ago. He's more than used to playing the top players at the highest level.

Also, this:

Ridiculous questions.

There was another peach yesterday. Something along the lines of "Did you find that match harder than it should have been?" to which Andy replied, "No, I knew it was going to be hard, it's all of you who were saying that it was going to be easy that was the problem."

I had to applaud that. He's level headed.

That guy (is it Gary Anderson?) must be the worst interviewer ever. He always asks the most ridiculous questions. No wonder the British public has such a bad perception of Murray when all they see is him being asked stupid questions and then getting angry on court. Tim Henman was the nice guy on court, never got angry (apart from that once in 1995) and people liked him for it. Murray is the complete opposite.

Moving onto the semi final. It'll be a very tough match against Janowicz. He's the youngest Grand Slam semi-finalist since Murray in 2008 (or 2007?) and the up-and-coming player on the Tour. He was tested against the veteran Melzer in the 4th round but breezed through yesterday against compatriot Kubot. My prediction is Murray in 4. Hopefully Wimbledon will have some sense (as they have done well through the tournament) and schedule Murray's match second so we can see it after work!

Yeah I thought that interview was terrible too. No wonder Murray is not so fond of the media. What sort of questions are those after a 5 set battle like that?

Yeah I thought that interview was terrible too. No wonder Murray is not so fond of the media. What sort of questions are those after a 5 set battle like that?

Just saw Murray said on Facebook "don't be too hard on Gary Anderson, he had a hard day and apologised for it afterwards."