NEurope
Charlie

Tennis 2013

I do wish grass season lasted longer. Always brings up some brilliant matches. I have no idea why it isn't more prevalent around the world. I know a hard court is easier to maintain, but a grass court surely can't be much harder to maintain than a football pitch? Just needs to be cut shorter/kept dry close to tournament time to ensure it's a hard surface? Surely it's easier in other countries to do that than soggy Britain?

There's clearly much more to Nadal's condition then anyone's aware... either he focused all his energy recovering from injury on the French as he knew that was his best chance at a Grand Slam this year (mission accomplished) and now has nothing left in his knees... or his injuries mean he's just not suited to the grass game anymore. That's 2 years running now we'll just have to see what happens next year or whether he says anything about it.

Real shame.

Wow Rafa is out. I think a lot of people had high hopes for him and them BAM! Injury hit him. I think Retro is right that he may not be suited for grass any more, as the reflexes needed due to the more sapping ground just affects his knees too much.

I'll be rooting for the absolute legend that is Roger, as usual. He's a wonderful man and player, real joy to watch.

Laura Robson currently a set and 2 breaks up against 10th seed Kirilenko. Playing the match of her life judging from the BBC live text.

She's going to win Grand Slams soon.

Wow, check out Dustin Brown's shot to clinch the first set against Hewitt, incredible!

Good win for Robson but settle down British Media, she isn't number 1 in the world quite yet.

Good win for Robson but settle down British Media, she isn't number 1 in the world quite yet.

This is the British Media we're talking about. She got to the 4th round of the US Open last year and there was barely a mention of it.

Although now you mention it. You'd probably get good odds on Murray and Robson being number 1 in the world at the same time at some point over the next 5 years.

Booh, Darcis has dropped out of Wimbledon with a shoulder injury he got during the Nadal game (from falling on the ground). Too bad, would've liked to see him go further. =(

Murray's potential QF opponent, Tsonga has withdrawn due to injury.

The total injuries today is now at 8.

Is something up with the courts? Tim Henman says no. Very interesting so many players have had to pull out.

Fuck me, Wimbledon is crazy this year. Can't believe Federer is out.

Murray can't play a top 8 player until the final now.

I saw a little bit of Dustin Brown today, really like him, a real whip-hand player. Sad Hewitt is out already though, he's always worked his butt off for every point.

I'm really miserable now that Federer is out. Don't know why either, makes no difference to me, but i get sad every time he loses...

What the funk is going on at Wimbledon this year. Playing out brilliantly this year for Murray. Just hope he doesn't choke too.

Sharapova gone too ... That's my interest In the women's tennis gone

I support any woman who doesn't scream (lol). It's damn unnecessary and fucking irritating.

I rejoiced at Federer's defeat, amazing match!

What a crazy day. I took my laptop to work today to dual screen so I could watch Wimbledon all day, and so glad that I did. Dustin Brown made himself a whole lot of new fans today, not least myself. Federer going out, Tsonga retiring. Almagro (15) is now the highest seed left in Murrays half of the draw...expectation grows! I just hope he doesn't end up coasting to the final and never quite gets himself up to top gear before the likely final with Djok.

Also, the womens side of the draw is looking like its going to be a bit of a procession for Serena, with Sharapova and Azarenka both out today...

Federer being knocked out is the best possible news I could've come home to!

Was really hoping hewitt got through this round, the draw had really opened up for him. I hated him when he was younger, such a spoilt turd.. But he's such a gentlemen nowadays and I really would have loved to see him do well :(

Was really hoping hewitt got through this round, the draw had really opened up for him. I hated him when he was younger, such a spoilt turd.. But he's such a gentlemen nowadays and I really would have loved to see him do well :(

Hewitt is such a dog on the court. Chases down absolutely everything and gives it his all in every single match. I was hoping that he'd have a good run this year as he had a good Queens and the draw was pretty open for him.

How long is until people (non-tennis fans outside Wimbledon) start to say that this Wimbledon won't mean as much if Murray wins it because Nadal and Federer are both out of it? I'm guessing not long, it came soon after Nadal went out this year.

Robson has just lost the first set in her last 16 match against Kinepi. She was serving for the set and then 5-2 up in the tie break. Will be tough to come back from that.

As with a lot of women, she really needs to work on the mental aspect of the sport.

How long is until people (non-tennis fans outside Wimbledon) start to say that this Wimbledon won't mean as much if Murray wins it because Nadal and Federer are both out of it? I'm guessing not long, it came soon after Nadal went out this year.

Tbh I was thinking that already. He's got an easier ride now! I haven't been following it much because of general busyness and work this year, but I was astounded when I heard Nadal went out to a low seed, and then Federer too! The amount of injuries/forfeits has been a bit bizarre. Do you reckon Murray can do it though, even with this? I think it's gonna be him and Djokovich in the final - that'll be a worthy match nonetheless but...can he do it?

Robson has just lost the first set in her last 16 match against Kinepi. She was serving for the set and then 5-2 up in the tie break. Will be tough to come back from that.

As with a lot of women, she really needs to work on the mental aspect of the sport.

Again sadly I haven't caught much of her play(just read that she's gone out). She's still quite young and climbing, so I think you're right to say she won't have that mental aspect quite down yet. A knockback like this might be enough to spur her on though, maybe she'll come back with a vengence next year.

EDIT: Just checked - 9 years difference between the two of them! There's a lot of life in there, no just on the court confidence. She's definitely one to watch out for in coming years.

Edited by Rummy