NEurope
Charlie

Tennis 2013

It really annoys me how the BBC only put on a live text feed when there is a Brit playing or maybe when Federer or Nadal is playing.

I want to read a text update thingy for the French Open, but the BBC website one just pops up randomly throughout the day, and you never know when it's going to be there or not.

Yeah Flashscores is ok, or i usually check the Roland Garros website itself if it's just scores i want - but i enjoy reading the text commentary as it lets you know what is actually going on if you don't have a video feed etc.

Admittedly they have had problems with rain this year which leaves them nothing to commentate on, but it seems like they run it less often with Murray out of the draw than they did last year...

Yeah Flashscores is ok, or i usually check the Roland Garros website itself if it's just scores i want - but i enjoy reading the text commentary as it lets you know what is actually going on if you don't have a video feed etc.

Admittedly they have had problems with rain this year which leaves them nothing to commentate on, but it seems like they run it less often with Murray out of the draw than they did last year...

If you have a smartphone the Eurosport app is quite good. They don't cover every court but at an event like Roland Garros will usually cover the two main courts and possibly one or two more depending on who is playing. I think the website probably shows the commentary too.

I'm finding it great for during RG as their app is awful! You can access "Radio Roland Garros" on their website too. I'm not sure how good it is but I've used Radio Wimbledon a lot in the past which I found good, I presume they take the same format; focusing on one main match but moving around for updates on other courts every couple of change of ends.

Here we go. 2 weeks of guaranteed British summer! hah.

Murray on at 5pm tonight, I'll be in work, should be home by 6pm so should catch some of his match.

I'm taking the rest of the day of because of a job interview, so I'm going to sit with my feet up and the tennis on.

Here we go. 2 weeks of guaranteed British summer! hah.

Murray on at 5pm tonight, I'll be in work, should be home by 6pm so should catch some of his match.

I think it'll be a wee bit earlier than that as Federer and Sharapova will both win in straight sets.

Federer an hour and a half, Sharapova an hour.

Yup Federer is already done. Sharapova on now? I can only listen in work not watch, 5 Live don't seem to have Sharapova on.

Sharapova hasn't started yet, will be soonish. Federer's match was effortless. He barely broke a sweat. 1 hour 9 mins!

I think it'll be effortless for Federer until he reaches the QF. I really cannot see anyway he makes it through the possible combination of Nadal, Murray and Djokovic to win the title. There's no way those matches go in straight sets, he could possibly go through Nadal but he'll get destroyed by Murray by that point. He's shown in recent years his inability to beat the absolute best in back to back occasions. I can't really think of a time he's won a grand slam having to go through the other top 3 guys himself.

Nadal is a bit of a wildcard. Clay aside, i'm not sure how Nadal will stack up against the top guys on grass but i'd never right him off, he's such a competitor.

Djokovic has a great draw and is probably the favourite but his results on Grass haven't been that great since he last won Wimbledon.

I think Murray is probably just behind Djokovic due to his draw. That said he had a similar draw at the Olympics and he steamrolled Djokovic in the semis before destroying Federer in the final. He made the final last year and he's now all the experience of winning the Olympics on the same court and winning that first grand slam.

With all that said, it's still a bit of a crapshoot when the top guys play each other, they can all beat each other on any given day. Should make for some great tennis!

Sounds like Sharapova is making a meal out of this match. Sharapova 6-5 down as I type this, and not happy at all by the sounds of things.

--

Nadal drops the first set. wow. calm before the storm? or Nadal really potentially facing a 1st round exit? :p

Edited by Murr
Automerged Doublepost

Can't believe how much I've gone off Sharapova over the years... I'd almost anyone beat her now. Clumsy looking game, and that grunt!!... needs a ball in her cake hole.

Nadal lost the first set. Hope he finds his game and makes a quick comes back.

I can only listen in work not watch, 5 Live don't seem to have Sharapova on.

Are you surprised? The BBC probably have volume guidelines which prevent it.

Come on Darcis!

*rooting for the Belgian*

I bet he is going to end up losing now. =(

At first I was pissed that TSN over here are showing Nadal and not Murray and now I couldn't be happier awesome game!

Brilliant match. So good that the BBC stuck Murray onto the Red Button after the first set.

Nadal's not very good at this Wimbledon thing, is he? Second round last year, first round this year!

Nadal couldn't run properly, hope he's not done something serious. Perhaps he's going to have to manage his schedule from now on to better look after his knees. As much as Wimbledon means, the grass court season only encompasses 4 weeks.