NEurope
Charlie

Tennis 2013

We have a decent following for tennis here so instead of individual threads for Grand Slams like we normally have a thread for the whole season could be an idea.

Australian Open is now in full swing and Heather Watson has just survived 3 match points in the 2nd set and then went onto win the match. Laura Robson and Andy Murray are in 2nd round action tomorrow. Jamie Baker went out in the first round after doing really well to come through qualifying.

I'm going for Murray to win the tournament.

I think Djokovic will win the men's, although i'll be rooting for Federer. And i think Sharapova might win the women's (four bagels already!).

The australians are doing horrendously, which is nice.

Murray vs Djokovic final, Murray to win in 7 sets and 34 hours.

As it's hard courts, Murray does stand a good chance of taking the men's tournament this year as he's always been good on this type of court. And with the US Open win, he's certainly upped his game on the hard. If he can keep up to that standard, then I can see him in the final. It's just how he handles the heat, but again he's managed to deal with this better in recent years.

Sharapova v Venus Williams tomorrow in the 3rd round could be interesting. Wouldn't put it past Sharapova taking that one in straight sets but with the Williams sister, you never know.

Andy Murray won in straight sets during the night.

Laura Robson came through a marathon match against Kvitova (8th seed and 2011 Wimbledon champion) and won 11-9 in the final set. Another great win for Robson against a top 10 player. Watson, Robson and Murray all into round 3 - great effort from the girls.

Watched the entire Robson game at the pub after work. Developed a bit of a crush >.>

^ Sadly, best I could do was sit with the text updates on the BBC website as I was doing something else. But from reading, it sounded like an epic match.

Was amazed Djokovic went down 6-1 in the first set so quickly, but then remembered he has had a tendency in the past where he's come out the blocks slowly. Never can count him out though. He always manages to find that extra bit to get across the line and win.

So yeah, good on him for the win but I do think it would have been slightly more interesting to see Wawrinka go through instead. He's certainly taken a step up in the quality of his game. Yes, he's still the Swiss no. 2 but he's slowly moving out of Federer's shadow and showing he has a game that can match the top brass in the sport. A bit more consistency and he'll be there.

Well THAT was an epic game.. anyone else watch it?

The final point summed up the whole match. Tennis of the highest quality throughout. Really felt for Wawrinka at the end as he'd thrown everything at Djokovic. To play at that level for 5 hours and then finish on a point like they did is nothing short of amazing.

Well... Djokovic made short work of Ferrer there, didn't he :o

Left the house as the match started, expecting I'd be able to catch the end of it when I got into Uni an hour and a half later but it's already finished. Obviously, Djokovic was going to win bit didn't think it'd be as swift and exact as it was.

Federer v Murray tonight/tomorrow morning. Think that'll go to 4 sets and I'd like to say Murray will take the win but we all know how resilient Federer can be. Still, I've my fingers crossed Murray will take it.

As for the women's draw, I'd like to say I'm happy about Azarenka going through but taking that time out in the last game when Stevens was serving to stay in the match was very unsporting. It's been a pretty poor tournament on the women's side anyway. Say a comment on the BBC website earlier in the week about there being more bagels in the scores for the women's matches than in a New York deli which pretty much sums up just how badly it's been.

The womens tournament has been strange.....Sharapova gets to the semis whilst only dropping about 5 games, only to go out in straight sets to Li Na? How are they all so inconsistent?!

Maybe it is the 3 set system. Perhaps if they played 5 sets, there would be less upsets. Quite a few times Nadal/Djokovic/Federer have been two sets down and then come back to win it...

Maybe it is the 3 set system. Perhaps if they played 5 sets, there would be less upsets. Quite a few times Nadal/Djokovic/Federer have been two sets down and then come back to win it...

Murray's also come back from 2 sets down a number of times.

Looking forward to the semi final tomorrow, although unfortunately I'll just have to watch the text updates. I think that Murray will win the match but with these players you just don't know for sure. If it's a 5 setter Djokovic will have a huge advantage having a whole extra day off.

After that semi final, Djokovic basically has had three days off...

People are putting far too much credence into Djokovic's result against Ferrer. yes he played very well but Ferrer isn't much of a challenger. He annoyingly consistent but his best Tennis is no where near the level of the top 3 or players like Tsonga or Berdych but he's far more consistent than them, hence his higher ranking. Not forgetting Djokovic was in some trouble against Berdych and Warwinka. Although Murray's semi-final lasted 4 hours, it wasn't overly physical and i'm sure he's still spent less time on court this week than Novak.

Anyways, when these two play nowadays it's impossible to predict who'll win. There last few meetings have been decided by very small margins. I can see it being a long one.

Have been following the tournament, mainly through BBC's livetext. It's slow at times but better than nothing.

Tried to watch the match yesterday whilst in work but our internet is so shite that I couldn't watch for more than 5 seconds at a time without it buffering for 30. Was shocked when Federer brought it back to 2-2, but think Murray deserved to win in the end. The final is going to be incredible. A massive effort by Murray should see him do it! :D

Felt quite sorry for Murray, as he looked physically spent during a lot of that match. Djokovic looked fresher.

Maybe he should spend less energy raging and bitching about every little thing on planet earth he doesn't agree with ;)

Maybe he should spend less energy raging and bitching about every little thing on planet earth he doesn't agree with ;)

It shows he's passionate and emotional. :p

Aaw, I was this close to putting money on Djokovic...never mind.

Murray looked a bit spent towards the end, he'd probably have won had he taken one of those break points early in the 2nd set. If you think Murray complained a lot there, that is nothing compared to his earlier years. he's a small glass of sunshine nowadays in comparison :heh: