NEurope
Jimbob

HMV closes 63 UK stores, all Irish stores

Might be me being cynical, but why didn't these companies get involved much sooner? CD prices have been too high for years.

Because that's exactly how they liked it?

So gift cards are apparently coming back tomorrow. Spending mine ASAP.

Source.

Edited by Guy

Thank fuck. I was annoyed as I had an £8 one that I got for returning a friend's christmas present (he had the movie already). It isn't much, but it was just really bad timing.

I wonder how many people will be flooding the shops tomorrow.

Bets HMV will be hiking the prices up to make bank on everyone rushing to spend their gift cards?

So it would seem HMV is closer to being saved, which is nice. At least for the time being anyway, and for those that threw away the giftcards. Well i hope the rubbish hasn't gone out yet.

Fopp are accepting theirs as of tomorrow as well :)

Although I have no idea what I'm going to spend £70 on... I wish they did Kindles. I feel that getting blu-rays is pointless as I'm trying to slim down on physical stuff. Maybe some speakers or headphones.

Fopp are accepting theirs as of tomorrow as well :)

Although I have no idea what I'm going to spend £70 on... I wish they did Kindles. I feel that getting blu-rays is pointless as I'm trying to slim down on physical stuff. Maybe some speakers or headphones.

Wait a week and buy Ni No Kuni for PS3. :)

Assuming they still get new stock of course.

What happened with HMV in the UK? Was it saved then yeah? Stores are still open?

The Irish stores were today confirmed to not be saved :(

With 300 staff being made redundant :(

Think the only similar type store we have here now are Golden Discs who just plan SUCK.

Their music collection is pitiful, mainly only stocking pop and RnB with little or no Rock, Metal, Punk etc.

Movies only on DVD with maybe 1 or 2 Blurays nothing like the selection HMV would have.

My local HMV is going to close. The only place left in town for CDs and DVDs will be CEX, now that That's Entertainment has also gone.

Worrying times for the highstreet.

Think they announced the closure of around 60 stores a few days ago but haven't given a closing date.

The list of store shutting, though, was pretty shocking for up here. Think every HMV in Edinburgh is shutting, including the massive one on Princes Street which sucks massively as I love that store and the staff in there are great. The only upside is that FOPP is staying open which means I'll still be able to pick up the niche albums I want in there as they tend to stock them when HMV doesn't. If only they'd fire the staff in there and bring in the staff from the big HMV as that'd make buying stuff in there more tolerable than it is current as the staff in FOPP are miserable sods.

But that's bad for the high street as apart from the rather small FOPP, there's only one other small indie music store I know of that sells CDs.

What happened with HMV in the UK? Was it saved then yeah? Stores are still open?

The Irish stores were today confirmed to not be saved :(

With 300 staff being made redundant :(

Think the only similar type store we have here now are Golden Discs who just plan SUCK.

Their music collection is pitiful, mainly only stocking pop and RnB with little or no Rock, Metal, Punk etc.

Movies only on DVD with maybe 1 or 2 Blurays nothing like the selection HMV would have.

This lists the stores going I think? http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/hmv-to-close-66-stores-8485064.html

I'd already seen that my local's going, did pop in some time a week or two ago to see if they had anything cheap but still nothing decent on prices!

The one near me is closing, too. The CEX by us is tiny, I don't think it even sells CD's, but That's Entertainment opened recently, so there's still somewhere! (I'm in love with that shop anyway, so many corny CD's for just 99p)

I went in the HMV closing down sale, some of the stuff on sale was still more expensive than in most shops.

Little bump

HMV are closing another 37 stores and another 464 jobs are set to go. Wonder which ones are going this time around?

37 more Stores

Which are

• Ashford
  • Basildon
  • Bolton
  • Cheltenham
  • East Kilbride
  • Enfield
  • Folkestone
  • Glasgow Argyle
  • Gloucester
  • Grimsby
  • Hatfield Galleria
  • Heathrow T5 Departure Level
  • Heathrow Terminal 1
  • Heathrow Terminal 3
  • Heathrow Terminal 4
  • Hemel Hempstead
  • High Wycombe
  • Isle of Wight
  • Lancaster
  • Leadenhall
  • Mansfield
  • Middlesbrough
  • Newbury
  • Newcastle Silverlink
  • Newport
  • Nuneaton
  • Redditch
  • Salisbury
  • Scarborough
  • Southport
  • Stafford
  • Staines
  • Stockport
  • Swindon
  • Taunton
  • Torquay
  • Woking

Edited by Jimbob

Last bump, i promise.

It now seems HMV is saved, along with stores which were next in the firing line for closure

News Report

Good news for the high-street, for a while longer. And there is talk of re-opening a store in Dublin.

Last bump, i promise.

It now seems HMV is saved, along with stores which were next in the firing line for closure

News Report

Good news for the high-street, for a while longer. And there is talk of re-opening a store in Dublin.

I don't wanna be a doomsayer as such but I don't think that this buy out is going to see HMV rise into some glorious new era.

So Hilco....who bought HMV Canada when HMV UK decided to cut their loses and shed the international part of their business have now bought the struggling original parent company, what a fall from grace.

Hilco have already come out and said they will follow their successful business practices abroad. Let me tell you what that means...it does mean more space given to an extensive music back catalogue and cheaper CDs (in some cases). (Over here there are still better options for DVDs I feel but they do still carry their usual promotions)

So far so good....now every mid to small sized store I've visited here no longer sells videogames.... I'm not quite sure when this switch over happened but I know they were selling them Summer 2011 and now they no longer do. Instead they've been replaced with walls of high end headphones and low end merchandise. I'm talking bobbleheads, mugs, glasses, novelty aprons, ice cube holders etc....

I mean if it's profitable for them then hey go for it but I don't think it's better for us a gamers. Especially with HMV having done pretty good bundles down the years.

I don't wanna be a doomsayer as such but I don't think that this buy out is going to see HMV rise into some glorious new era.

So Hilco....who bought HMV Canada when HMV UK decided to cut their loses and shed the international part of their business have now bought the struggling original parent company, what a fall from grace.

Hilco have already come out and said they will follow their successful business practices abroad. Let me tell you what that means...it does mean more space given to an extensive music back catalogue and cheaper CDs (in some cases). (Over here there are still better options for DVDs I feel but they do still carry their usual promotions)

So far so good....now every mid to small sized store I've visited here no longer sells videogames.... I'm not quite sure when this switch over happened but I know they were selling them Summer 2011 and now they no longer do. Instead they've been replaced with walls of high end headphones and low end merchandise. I'm talking bobbleheads, mugs, glasses, novelty aprons, ice cube holders etc....

I mean if it's profitable for them then hey go for it but I don't think it's better for us a gamers. Especially with HMV having done pretty good bundles down the years.

Wouldn't the "no longer selling videogames" part be good for another high-street store *cough, GAME*. Obviously, having only 1 place on the street to go for games isn't the best option, but who knows.