NEurope
Jimbob

HMV closes 63 UK stores, all Irish stores

It's partly why vouchers are a bad idea - when you buy them you agree that they can simply stop accepting them.

The only issue I have with blocking the use of gift cards is that HMV have already taken the goddamn money for those cards so the card could then be used later in the store.

I get the terms and conditions, but it's still pretty shitty to make loyal customers (who have guaranteed purchases will be made in HMV) suffer when none of this is really their fault. In fact, it just makes everyone who bought anybody a gift card at Christmas feel terrible.

Is it not possible that this kind of action only damages survival in the long run? Lots of customers will be extremely put out by being unable to use their cards just after Christmas and actively avoid shopping there again if the store recovers. Nobody who has been burned with a gift card is going to go spend money on the product they want in HMV when they can buy the same product cheaper elsewhere.

For a company struggling to make enough money to survive this kind of action seems kinda short sighted. I know this is very idealistic, but maybe customer loyalty and strong service could be the one thing that keeps the high street going.

Edited by Guy

It's to do with administration - any creditors (including people who have gift cards) have to attempt to get their money from the administrators, not HMV.

There was talk that as the music industry has an interest in a high street presence then maybe they'll look to save HMV. I'm not sure it'll happen though as the writing on the wall for HMV has been around for a few years now.

In related news there's reports Blockbuster UK is set to go bust.

I live in a town of about 22k which incredibly still has a Blockbuster (in a terrible location though - no where near the main town centre). But it looks like if I ever want to just buy or browse games in town I'm left with GAME & Sainsburys.

I'd love to see more independent shops set up though.

Bye bye Blockbuster UK. Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Blockbusters, meh. I'm more bothered abuot HMV. The highstreet needs more independant stores selling entertainment products.

But as i said on Twitter earlier, if this is Mr Camerons idea of regeneration then i'd love to see recession.

The only issue I have with blocking the use of gift cards is that HMV have already taken the goddamn money for those cards so the card could then be used later in the store.

I get the terms and conditions, but it's still pretty shitty to make loyal customers (who have guaranteed purchases will be made in HMV) suffer when none of this is really their fault. In fact, it just makes everyone who bought anybody a gift card at Christmas feel terrible.

Is it not possible that this kind of action only damages survival in the long run? Lots of customers will be extremely put out by being unable to use their cards just after Christmas and actively avoid shopping there again if the store recovers. Nobody who has been burned with a gift card is going to go spend money on the product they want in HMV when they can buy the same product cheaper elsewhere.

For a company struggling to make enough money to survive this kind of action seems kinda short sighted. I know this is very idealistic, but maybe customer loyalty and strong service could be the one thing that keeps the high street going.

Whilst Cube's right, I think it's quite despicable for the company to have done it. They should have stopped offering the vouchers. It's nothing short of a con essentially.

Am I the only one who thinks that HMV rejecting gift vouchers is just fine given the circumstances?

What?

GAME buying HMV would be like... giving a blind person another blind person instead of a fucking guide dog.

Edited by Guy
Automerged Doublepost

game? GAME? really? Guy has the jist of this! give it a year and GAME will go under again taking whats left of HMV with them, jsut like they took Gamestation before

GAME buying HMV would be like... giving a blind person another blind person instead of a fucking guide dog.

Man, that's really snappy.

So now there'll be 4 GAME's in every town instead of 3?

They closed half of them - they're interested in HMV stores that are in places that don't have a GAME.

Am I the only one who thinks that HMV rejecting gift vouchers is just fine given the circumstances?

It's not the rejecting, it's the continued selling of them right up to closing shop. It's dishonest.

They closed half of them - they're interested in HMV stores that are in places that don't have a GAME.
The ones they closed were where there was more than one.

Places that don't have a game, as in the other end of the high street.

My town lost it's only game store (it was a GameStation). Well, we have Cocaine Grainger Games, but that doesn't count.

My town lost it's only game store (it was a GameStation). Well, we have Cocaine Grainger Games, but that doesn't count.

Grainger Games is a fine retail institution that has clearly never done anything to disgrace itself or the industry.

Film and music industries to the rescue! (For a change.)

http://www.nme.com/news/hmv/68267

I just hope it's enough to help out...

Might be me being cynical, but why didn't these companies get involved much sooner? CD prices have been too high for years.

Might be me being cynical, but why didn't these companies get involved much sooner? CD prices have been too high for years.

Because they haven't felt it was necessary? ::shrug:

Because they haven't felt it was necessary? ::shrug:

But this has been a possibility for years. People have been turning away from high streets and record stores in favour of places like Amazon. It's just disappointing that it had to come to this before they decided to step in. They're about 5 years too late, imo.