Hero-of-Time

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

On 24/01/2020 at 10:38 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

The first point means that there was a time where people thought that digital and physical could kind of live side by side, with digital games being bought by a different set of gamers. This has now completely shifted and the market can longer grow and is in fact shrinking rapidly when it comes to physical releases and purchasing. Digital will continue to rise and physical fall as the next generation approaches.

I can't say i'm surprised by this at all. Digital games have become the norm and they go on sale all of the time, often being cheaper than their physical counter parts. You then have brick and mortar stores being shut left and right. Furthermore, we have things like Game Pass massively effect the sales of physical games, as seen by the Gears 5 numbers.

There are many Switch/PS4 games that just release only on their digital stores and you need to jump through hoops and follow different companies just to get a physical version. Even then, is it worth it? Especially when games need to be patched. You are having to pay sometimes around £40-50 for a game that is being sold digitally for around £10-20.

It will be interesting to see how physical games fare next generation. With digital purchases eating into its market at a rapid pace it doesn't look good for those who enjoy physical copies of games. Maybe it's time to just except what's happening and join these box less heathens? :D

Yeah, it's a weird one.

Funnily enough, I've actually been giving it some thought over the last few months as to whether or not I'll continue to get physical copies over their digital counterparts once the PS5 releases.

On the one hand, like many of you, I love having these games on my shelf; they're generally cheaper at launch to buy physically, and if pre-ordered online from certain retailers, often turn up a few days early; and it offers you the chance to own the game, and not just a license which can be rescinded at any given point.

On the other hand, my shelves are almost filled up these days anyways: I love films and have a sizeable Blu-Ray collection, and there are all of the games which I own physically from my childhood, too. And then there are my books, which I tried to transition away from by getting a Kindle, but not much luck making the transition quite yet. 

Then there's the matter of delivery of online orders. Using Final Fantasy VII Remake as a bit of an extreme example, which releases on 10th April, being Good Friday and the start of the four day Easter weekend, it could potentially be a bit of a mess. As the game is releasing on a bank holiday Friday, it will most likely be dispatched early, and so I imagine arrive for most people much earlier in the week, which gives us a great chance to install it and have everything ready to go for the long weekend. However, there's nothing to say that it's not dispatched until a day or two before, and it being a bank holiday on the 10th, the Royal Mail and many postal services will likely be running a reduce service, if they're running at all. It being the Easter weekend, and with the following Monday also being a bank holiday, if you ordered a physical copy and it hasn't arrived on Saturday (which I imagine will be even busier than usual because of the load it's having to carry from Friday), there's a fair chance that you won't get the game until the following Tuesday, as most brick-and-mortar stores would likely only be open on that Saturday.

If you were to pre-order the game digitally, however, you'll be able to pre-install it and have it ready to go when you wake up on Good Friday. Like I said, an extreme example with how the timing of it shakes out, but nonetheless buying the game digitally would negate that possibility of being let down and not being able to play on launch day. 

One of the biggest reasons brick-and-mortar stores are still required by console manufacturers is for the sale of their consoles and accessories, but I would love to know if these guys have stats on the in-store vs online retailer sales of their consoles. One of the reasons cited that we can't have digital stores match the lower physical prices on the release date of a game is because there is likely an agreement for the digital storefront to not undercut the physical one, but as H-o-T mentioned, more and more brick-and-mortar stores are closing. If they have the stats for console and accessory sales and they support just selling them online or at select retailers, I wonder if we could see consoles pull out of physical storefronts entirely, and then see a fixed price of £60 across the board for AAA offerings, or them undercutting their software prices. Probably too early a thought to consider for PS5/XSX, but I imagine things will be drastically different by the time the following generation makes its way around, and I'm having a tough time thinking that they'll keep a hold of physical media from then on (though I oddly still see Nintendo sticking with it regardless). Also wonder if we could even see physical copies move to online orders moving forwards. On a personal note, I can't remember the last time I stepped into GAME or any other physical software retailer, let alone to actually purchase something, besides CeX - and that's only because I was dragged along by some of the guys from work.  

Should be interesting to see how the split changes moving to next gen if the thought of transitioning from physical to digital is clearly on the mind of so many who love to have those physical collections. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

Not exactly related to sales or charts, but today CD Projekt Group surpassed Ubisoft as Europe's most valuable video game company. 

The CD Projekt Group — which includes The Witcher III: Wild Hunt developer CD Projekt Red and digital distribution platform GOG — skyrocketed again on Monday, officially surpassing Ubisoft to become the most valuable video game company in Europe.

At the time of this writing, Ubisoft is worth PLN 35,6 billion (€7,82 billion), while CDP's market value is estimated at PLN 36,5 billion (€8,01 billion). As a reminder, CDP is also the most valuable Polish company, with the country's second-biggest company PKO Bank Polski still struggling to recover from the economic damage caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

Posted (edited)

Good lord. I know that's it's in the NPD's Top 10 like every month, but still, I find GTA V selling 130,000,000 units nuts. 

Edited by Julius

50 minutes ago, Julius said:

Good lord. I know that's it's in the NPD's Top 10 like every month, but still, I find GTA V selling 130,000,000 units nuts. 

That really is extraordinary. Will another game ever achieve that? No wonder we didn't get a new GTA game this generation.

I'd still love to see that game on Switch. 

Does that include the free version that Epic gave away? Or is it that physical copies only?

Wasn’t it a thing that a lot of GTA V’s sales were just people rebuying it because you could getter deals on shark cards etc?

little fact about this country. there was more PS2's sold here  per head than any country in the world...

• Like 1