NEurope
Hero-of-Time

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

Not a single Wii U title in sight.

I dunno, there's quite a few in that WiiU chart.

Not a single Wii U title in sight.

Was noticing the same myself! A 15-month old 3DS title is genuinely outselling any single WiiU title right now, even Smash? Didn't expect the WiiU to be doing outstandingly, but didn't exactly expect this so much.

I hadn't noticed but supposedly it's the 3rd or 4th week in a row that there's no Wii U game in the top 40.

Really makes you wonder what they'll do next gen. Like I've said before, they should put their home console games out on other consoles or at least match the competition hardware. Clearly it's not sustainable to carry on like this.

Nintendo should match the competition in terms of hardware. They should never put their games on other platforms.

They should never put their games on other platforms.

I still can't think of any reason why they shouldn't put their games on other platforms.

I still can't think of any reason why they shouldn't put their games on other platforms.

For one it helps the competition.

Nintendo should match the competition in terms of hardware. They should never put their games on other platforms.

Yeah, they shouldn't put their software on hardware people actually want to buy. Dat madness.

Yeah, they shouldn't put their software on hardware people actually want to buy. Dat madness.

That's why I say they need to sort out their hardware.

For one it helps the competition.

Not really, X1 and PS4 are each other's competition (and to a lesser extent PC). Nintendo don't really compete with them as they don't offer as good a package.

That's why I say they need to sort out their hardware.

I still think going third party is more important. Hardware parity would sort out some problems but not their image, not necessarily their OS or their childlike online policies. And most importantly, relationship with developers.

Many mountains there that to me say the best bet is third party.

Edited by Sheikah
Automerged Doublepost

Not really, X1 and PS4 are each other's competition (and to a lesser extent PC). Nintendo don't really compete with them as they don't offer as good a package.

While I agree that Nintendo doesn't compete with any of the current-gen consoles, it is debatable that they don't offer as good a package as the others since this is - in the end - a matter of personal taste/opinion (I do agree with you, though, that Nintendo's - or rather - the Wii U's offerings are lackluster in comparison).

It's out of question that Nintendo will ever go third party, but still...after much thought and as it is right now, I can't think of any reason why Nintendo shouldn't go third party and release their top-notch games on other platforms.

In the broadest sense I'd also love to see only one gaming platform which is supported by every developer (be it Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Ubisoft, Activiosn, etc. etc.). This, however, would destroy almost any competition and that - in the long run - will only be bad news for us gamers.

I don't doubt some people would disagree, but I'm arguing the case for reality and not the outsiders. If people like, they can view my comments as the view of the overwhelming majority (in light of most people not buying any Wii U games), rather than all people.

In the broadest sense I'd also love to see only one gaming platform which is supported by every developer (be it Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Ubisoft, Activiosn, etc. etc.). This, however, would destroy almost any competition and that - in the long run - will only be bad news for us gamers.

PC seems to manage. The games are cheaper than on games consoles and online is free.

but still...after much thought and as it is right now, I can't think of any reason why Nintendo shouldn't go third party and release their top-notch games on other platforms.

A few more reasons so.

• Nintendo will have to pay a royalty to the competition whereas now they get a royalty.
  • They like to create hardware to realise their vision.
  • The same goes for controllers.
  • It would mean a lot of job losses.

It didn't work out well for SEGA or Atari.

Edit: And yes I know the circumstances were different.

While I agree that Nintendo doesn't compete with any of the current-gen consoles, it is debatable that they don't offer as good a package as the others since this is - in the end - a matter of personal taste/opinion (I do agree with you, though, that Nintendo's - or rather - the Wii U's offerings are lackluster in comparison).

It's out of question that Nintendo will ever go third party, but still...after much thought and as it is right now, I can't think of any reason why Nintendo shouldn't go third party and release their top-notch games on other platforms.

Rather than go third party, the next logical step, if they have to drop home consoles for this discussion, is just go handheld only surely. Put all their focus on the division in which they are market leader (and no, I'm not including phones/tablets in that claim ;) )

Hell, they still get FIFA on 3DS!

The royalties Nintendo would have to pay would be completely negated by not paying to develop, produce, distribute and maintain a home console. As well as by the much more expanded audience their titles would now be open to.

They can still create hardware. Peripheral are completely viable. Rock Band and Wii Fit are both example of excellent hardware peripheral and those had pretty limited uses. Hell, they could even work with other companies to produce hardware. Or take advantage of things they would never even start to invest in like Morpheus and Oculus.

Nintendo's games are great regardless of controllers (bar maybe Wii Sports).

Job losses? Well, that happens every time a company changes its strategy. Chances are they could grow a hell of a lot more going third party with the income from that new expanded market.

I don't doubt some people would disagree, but I'm arguing the case for reality and not the outsiders. If people like, they can view my comments as the view of the overwhelming majority (in light of most people not buying any Wii U games), rather than all people.

Ah I see, I misunderstood your underlying point. :)

A few more reasons so.

• Nintendo will have to pay a royalty to the competition whereas now they get a royalty.

I - a guy who doesn't really know anything about business - would've struggled to find counterarguments, but @Daft appears to be well-versed with that and wrote down everything I could've never thought of.

Rather than go third party, the next logical step, if they have to drop home consoles for this discussion, is just go handheld only surely. Put all their focus on the division in which they are market leader

Agree. Would definitely be the next logical step.

But why not have both: A huge handheld only division which will be their primamry focus, and a 'small' development team for mulitplatform software.

Yes, it would be a huge shift and have heavy impact on the company and everyone involved, but it might be something to think about.

Well my views on that...

A few more reasons so.

Pay a royalty but get far more sales because your games are on a console people want versus pay no royalty but sell hardly any home console games. Makes more sense for them to go route A.

You argue they should compete with other consoles, but then say they should be able to retain hardware vision. If they are to truly compete, it will mean going head-to-head on specs. They won't be able to make a Wii U gamepad if they compete on specs, while keeping their console affordable.

I always think their best games are great because of the software, irrespective of hardware.

Good!

So what? They can get another job. People losing jobs should never be a reason to hold back progression. The age old argument of libraries and the internet crops up again.

• It didn't work out well for SEGA or Atari.

Means nothing, that comparison has been done to death but Nintendo and Sega are different companies in different positions. Sega's death was on the cards long before they went third party.

Why not look instead at games which were exclusive to one home console, that now aren't? Look at GTA - wowzer.

Edit: And yes I know the circumstances were different.

To the extent it renders the comparison invalid? Don't think you do.

I'm with Wii on actually matching and trying to compete on the console/hardware front rather than going 3rd party. Ofc, the risk is that even if they do matchup they might have already lost too much custom to really pull it back without actually exceeding the competition instead.

EDIT:More posts had happened since I loaded the page originally. Can't say I agree with Wii's later points(a royalty is nothing anyway, seeing as it'd be part of profit, and not be loss-causing).

Edited by Rummy

I don't get all this Nintendo should go third party talk. They're not in trouble. If anybody should hit the road it's Sony and Microsoft. Haven't they been haemorrhaging money on the gaming side offset by other divisions? Nintendo were here first, I wouldn't walk into your house and tell you to get out or tell you that I now own your house and that you have to pay me rent if you want to continue living there.

Now Nintendo have a huge uphill task to get a substantial market share back next generation with its console. They've done this damage over the last 3 generations and I don't know if it's possible to change things at this point. They'll also need a massive change in how they think and operate their business for this to happen and that doesn't seem likely. They're like a dinosaur and we know what happened to them. There's a name for their next console, Evolution.

I don't get all this Nintendo should go third party talk. They're not in trouble. If anybody should hit the road it's Sony and Microsoft. Haven't they been haemorrhaging money on the gaming side offset by other divisions?

Hang on, let me just check if you've got a point there.

This weeks UK sales charts.

96vBApU.png

Sorry, turns out you haven't.

Hang on, let me just check if you've got a point there.

Sorry, turns out you haven't.

Phew. It's good to know they're selling their consoles at a hefty profit. :indeed: The same as the previous generations. I don't care to find the figures but I know I've seen both companies post massive losses. Don't Microsoft shareholders want them to get out of the console market? They keep trying the loss leader approach.

Wii if I didn't know better, I'd say you were bringing up some irrelevant data to avoid a rather strikingly obvious truth - that Sony and Microsoft's consoles are very popular, and very good platforms on which to sell your games.

Whether console makers suffer losses in past generations or whatever is totally irrelevant to the discussion of Nintendo potentially going third party to sell their games on other consoles (ie. not make consoles themselves). In fact, by pointing out losses in making 'high spec hardware' consoles (ie. Sony/MS consoles) you are in fact undermining your own argument where you say Nintendo should compete by making a high spec console!

Edited by Sheikah

Nintendo could make and release a console in 2016 that would be more powerful than PS4/XBOX1 and cost much less than either of them. They'd have a good 4 years at least before Sony/Microsoft release there next console.

Well your point "of Nintendo potentially going third party to sell their games on other consoles" is completely irrelevant. It's not happening so deal with it. This is Nintendo's patch. The other 2 can f**k off for all I care. It's always fanboys of the other 2 that begrudge that Nintendo's games aren't on their system or that they've to buy their hardware. Tough $h1t.

This weeks software and hardware sales.

1. [PS3] Dragon Quest Heroes (Square Enix, 02/26/15) – 67,514 (392,960)
  2. [3DS] Etrian Mystery Dungeon (Atlus, 03/05/15) – 65,226 (New)
  3. [PS4] Dragon Quest Heroes (Square Enix, 02/26/15) – 35,425 (304,729)
  4. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D (Nintendo, 02/14/15) – 23,764 (365,761)
  5. [3DS] New Prince of Tennis: Go to the Top (FuRyu, 03/05/15) – 22,568 (New)
  6. [PSV] God Eater 2: Rage Burst (Bandai Namco, 02/19/15) – 17,710 (289,539)
  7. [PS4] Evolve (2K Games, 03/05/15) – 16,851 (New)
  8. [3DS] Yokai Watch 2: Shinuchi (Level-5, 12/14/14) – 14,278 (2,528,184)
  9. [3DS] LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins (Nintendo, 03/05/15) – 13,284 (New)
  10. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire (Pokemon, 11/21/14) – 11,297 (2,549,155)
  11. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Nintendo, 09/13/14) – 7,431 (2,173,243)
  12. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (Capcom, 10/11/14) – 6,673 (2,492,332)
  13. [PS3] Dragon Ball Xenoverse (Bandai Namco, 01/29/15) – 5,787 (86,874)
  14. [PS3] River City Super Sports Challenge: All-Star Special (Arc System Works, 03/05/15) – 5,473 (New)
  15. [Wii U] Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo, 05/29/14) – 5,342 (931,332)
  16. [PSV] Diabolik Lovers: Dark Fate (Idea Factory, 02/26/15) – 4,902 (12,164)
  17. [Wii U] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Nintendo, 12/06/14) – 4,829 (602,560)
  18. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Nintendo, 11/08/12) – 4,671 (3,933,006)
  19. [3DS] Doraemon Shin Nobita no Daimakyo: Peko to 5-nin no Tankentai (FuRyu, 03/05/15) – 4,663 (New)
  20. [PS4] God Eater 2: Rage Burst (Bandai Namco, 02/19/15) – 3,654 (48,883)

1. PlayStation 4 – 33,753 (46,139)
  2. New 3DS LL – 21,402 (22,620)
  3. PlayStation Vita – 19,757 (23,619)
  4. New 3DS – 7,661 (8,515)
  5. PlayStation 3 – 7,645 (8,926)
  6. Wii U – 7,379 (6,606)
  7. 3DS – 2,566 (2,795)
  8. 3DS LL – 2,321 (2,666)
  9. PlayStation Vita TV – 621 (838)
  10. Xbox One – 445 (703)

Edited by Wii

Essential it's because Nintendo make terrible hardware and brilliant software.

I don't begrudge Nintendo for not going 3rd party because I don't really care enough about them. They've become the industry sideshow. They've been left in the dust by PC, the other homes consoles and mobile games; the industry as a whole.

Could they claw their way back to relevance? Maybe, but the world would also barely notice their departure from the home console market. As it is, the world arguably doesn't notice that they're still in the home console market.

Apathy is much more dangerous to Nintendo than fanboyism.

NPD: Nintendo 3DS Is Best-Selling Hardware Platform In February

The one-two-three punch of New Nintendo 3DS XL, The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate helped Nintendo 3DS become the top-selling hardware platform in the United States in February. All three products launched in the United States on Feb. 13, and even with only 17 days of data being reported they were able to accomplish the following:

• In its 48th month on the market, the Nintendo 3DS family sold nearly 395,000 units in the U.S. The great majority of these sales were New Nintendo 3DS XL systems, which sold 130 percent more units in its initial frame than Nintendo 3DS XL did when it launched on Aug. 19, 2012.

• The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D was the top-selling title for the month with more than 515,000 combined physical and digital units sold. The game is now the fastest-selling Legend of Zelda hand-held title in U.S. history.

• Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate sold more than 290,000 combined physical and digital units and is now the fastest-selling Monster Hunter title – across all platforms – in U.S. history. In addition, the game has the highest Metascore of any Monster Hunter title and is also Capcom’s fastest-selling title on the Nintendo 3DS platform in U.S. history.

• Through the first two months of 2015, sales of Nintendo 3DS hardware have increased by more than 90 percent over sales in the same period in 2014.

Nintendo also saw strong results for Wii U, which had its best year ever in 2014 and has continued to build on that momentum in 2015. Specific achievements include:

• So far in 2015, sales of Wii U hardware have increased by more than 20 percent over sales in the same period in 2014.

• Life-to-date sales of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and amiibo have surpassed 1.5 million total units and 3.5 million figures, respectively, an attach rate of nearly 2.5 amiibo figures per game unit sold.

The momentum for Nintendo software and systems should continue over the next few months thanks to a strong lineup of software that includes Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. (Nintendo 3DS, March 13), Mario Party 10 + Mario amiibo bundle (Wii U, March 20), Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (Nintendo 3DS, April 10) and Splatoon (Wii U, May).

Here's the top 10 selling games for February in the United States.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D (3DS) (515,000 copies sold digitally and physically)
  2. Evolve (Xbox One, PS4, PC)
  3. Dying Light (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
  4. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
  5. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  6. NBA 2K15 (PS4, Xbox One, PS3, 360)
  7. Dragon Ball: Xenoverse (PS4, Xbox One, PS3, 360)
  8. Minecraft (360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4)
  9. The Order: 1886 (PS4)
  10. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (3DS) (290,000 copies sold digitally and physically)

That's some mighty 3DS numbers. Will have to find February 2014 Wii U sales to work out what its 20% increase brings its total to.

Wii U February U.S. sales are ~94,000 units.

PS4 was the best selling home console though no figure has yet been released.

~276,000 XBONE

February 2015 NPD: Kirby and the Rainbow Curse sells 52,000 copies

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse’s debut sales in the U.S. are in. Last month, the game sold 52,000 copies, according to reliable NPD leaker “creamsugar”. It should be noted that because Kirby and the Rainbow Curse launched towards the end of February, that figure only accounts for about a week of sales.

The only other piece of Kirby and the Rainbow Curse sales data comes from Japan. First week sales for the game (as revealed by Media Create a few weeks ago) came in at 32,000 units. Total units sold should be at around 60,000 units at this point.

http://nintendoeverything.com/february-2015-npd-kirby-and-the-rainbow-curse-sells-52000-copies/

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=155742910#post155742910

Also on that thread Creamsugar posted a chart. On the left is February, on the right is lifetime to date.

PS4 = Red

XBOX1 = Blue

Wii U = Green

umfxgRc.png

Which others have broken down for February as:

PS4: ~48.5%

XB1: ~38%

WiiU: ~13.5%

Or

PS4 352,000

XB1 276,000

Wii U 98,000