NEurope
Hero-of-Time

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

The fact that FIFA 13 is outselling a brand new game must show EA that it would be worth making a FIFA 15 port.

All it shows is that both sell like shit on the Wii U.

SALES DATA SHOW WII U CAPTURED SIX PERCENT OF CONSOLE MARKET ON BLACK FRIDAY

console_market_share_data_black_friday_2014.jpg

The Wii U captured about six percent of the console market on Black Friday, November 28th. According to data collected by InfoScout, Nintendo’s system placed just above PlayStation 3 but below Xbox 360, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. Both Xbox platforms dominated the console market, owning 62 percent of the market share. InfoScout’s data was accumulated from purchases made at major retailers carrying electronics, including Walmart, Target, Best Buy and GameStop.

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/12/01/sales-data-show-wii-u-captured-six-percent-of-console-market-on-black-friday/

I think that's it now for Wii U. Smash Bros. didn't help much. We'll see what the NPD figures say but they won't be out for a good while. Next year all I've to look forward to is Xenoblade Chronicles X and Zelda. The rest I don't really care about unless I can pick them up real cheap and that's only Yoshi's Yarn. There's so much wrong, the price is wrong, there's ZERO advertising. I can't turn on the TV without an ad from the competition, they're on all the time. I haven't seen an ad for Wii U or Smash Bros.

More data.

topconsole_purchases1.png

topconsole_kids-1.jpg

http://blog.infoscout.co/gaming-consoles-black-friday/

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Super Smash Bros. Wii U had a disappointing debut in the UK Top 40 sales chart. It entered at number 14. Hardly surprising with no advertising again. Even Smash Bros. gets no advertising. They really have given up.

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110015

"Nintendo will surely be disappointed by a No.13 debut for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, which actually also includes sales for the 3DS game."

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/call_of_duty_advanced_warfare/news/uk_video_game_chart_black_friday_sales_shake_things_up_with_advanced_warfare_back_at_no_1.html

They've no right to be disappointed. They didn't spend a penny on promoting it. They're now irrelevant in the UK and Ireland. I think it completely bombed here in Ireland, way worse than the UK.

1. (10) [360] Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

2. (01) [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V

3. (NE) [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby

4. (NE) [3DS] Pokemon Alpha Sapphire

5. (02) [XBO] Grand Theft Auto V

6. (08) [XBO] Assassin’s Creed: Unity

7. (NE) [PS4] Driveclub

8. (12) [360] FIFA 15

9. (18) [PS3] Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

10. (11) [XBO] FIFA 15

11. (07) [XBO] Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

12. (32) [XBO] Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag

13. (03) [PS4] Far Cry 4

14. (NE) [WIIU] Super Smash Bros

15. (09) [PS4] Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

16. (22) [PS3] FIFA 15

17. (NE) [PS4] LittleBigPlanet 3

18. (04) [XBO] Far Cry 4

19. (20) [PS4] FIFA 15

20. (17) [360] Minecraft: Xbox Edition

21. (06) [PS4] Assassin’s Creed: Unity

22. (NE) [XBO] Minecraft: Xbox Edition

23. (RE) [PS4] Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

24. (31) [PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation Edition

25. (33) [XBO] Sunset Overdrive

26. (28) [360] Disney Infinity 2.0

27. (15) [XBO] Halo: The Master Chief Collection

28. (25) [360] Assassin’s Creed: Rogue

29. (34) [360] Skylanders Trap Team

30. (40) [PC] Football Manager 2015

31. (24) [3DS] Tomodachi Life

32. (RE) [XBO] LEGO Marvel Super Heroes

33. (05) [PS4] Dragon Age: Inquisition

34. (RE) [XBO] Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

35. (26) [PS3] Minecraft: PlayStation Edition

36. (21) [360] LEGO Batman 3 Beyond Gotham

37. (16) [360] Far Cry 4

38. (29) [PS4] Destiny

39. (RE) [360] Destiny

40. (RE) [PS4] The Evil Within

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

Looks like Pokémon did very well but the sales for Smash Bros seem low. I expected it to chart higher but the console is well and truly dead in the UK.

XB1 sales seem to be picking up in the UK quite a bit.

I can't understand how people aren't concerned about this. This could be the Wii U's last real Christmas on the market. Retailers won't keep selling the Wii U at this rate. Here in Ireland, it's just Smyths, Argos and Gamestop that's left selling it. In Gamestop it's been relegated to a tiny section. In the last year Harvey Norman(their Wii U section was pitiful) and HMV have scrapped the Wii U. Tesco have stopped selling Nintendo products altogether. Add that to all the other retailers that have given up on Wii U, who'll be left selling it this time next year? This is serious. If you want to sit in your bubble, fine but sooner or later it's going to affect you and you'll have to face reality. Nintendo are continually damaging themselves both in sales, developers and the general public perception.

I can't understand how people aren't concerned about this. This could be the Wii U's last real Christmas on the market. Retailers won't keep selling the Wii U at this rate. Here in Ireland, it's just Smyths, Argos and Gamestop that's left selling it. In Gamestop it's been relegated to a tiny section. In the last year Harvey Norman(their Wii U section was pitiful) and HMV have scrapped the Wii U. Tesco have stopped selling Nintendo products altogether. Add that to all the other retailers that have given up on Wii U, who'll be left selling it this time next year? This is serious. If you want to sit in your bubble, fine but sooner or later it's going to affect you and you'll have to face reality. Nintendo are continually damaging themselves both in sales, developers and the general public perception.

Most of us were aware of the situation when the NPD results came out in January of this year. We don't need to keep talking about it.

Right. So we'll let it sail silently into the night? That's what Nintendo's doing at any rate.

Its not that people are not concerned its more of the reality hit home many many months ago that the Wii U was a product which wasn't going to be a hit with consumers and Nintendo are now simply riding the generation out with the least amount of expense possible. There will be no big marketing campaigns costing millions as it wont make that much of a difference.

Whether it was MK8, Mario, Smash etc etc there is no one title which will save the console.

I can't understand how people aren't concerned about this.

concerned, but resigned :-(

PS4 being delivered tomorrow for all things non-Nintendo. Have about 25 Wii U games to play through plus Zelda, whenever it comes out.

Looks like Pokémon did very well but the sales for Smash Bros seem low. I expected it to chart higher but the console is well and truly dead in the UK.

XB1 sales seem to be picking up in the UK quite a bit.

Some of the Black Friday deals for the Xbox One were fantastic. If I didn't have a PS4, I'd of been tempted.

They have given up on trying to sell the Wii U to the UK, new releases do well for one week then disappear from the charts.

Mario Kart 8 did amazingly well to stay in the charts so long after release but even that has now disappeared and this is now the run up to Christmas when families are buying consoles and games for their kids.

Game will continue to sell it until it is discontinued with it taking up a little corner of their stores these days.

Skylanders has 3 times as much shelf space as the Wii U in my local store.

I assume the Black Friday figures are for America rather than here. I can't recall anyone offering BF deals for the Wii U here (but could be wrong) but what about America?

Mario Kart 8 was a much better deal and did so well in part because of the free game giveaway. Mario Kart 8 was advertised on TV too. Smash Bros. Wii U had neither. The competition had deals for both of the new consoles and their ads are on in heavy rotation. The Wii U has no deals and is overpriced. How can it expect to compete when it's just $30 less than a Xbox One? I'm not going to repeat the myriad of disadvantages the Wii U has in comparison. The Wii U's advantages are 1st party output and the gamepad, the latter of which is void as a reason because Nintendo haven't utilised it properly. I'm so angry at Nintendo, this for me despite the positives will go down as the biggest f#ck up they've ever made. The list of negatives is endless.

Mario Kart 8 was a much better deal and did so well in part because of the free game giveaway. Mario Kart 8 was advertised on TV too. Smash Bros. Wii U had neither. The competition had deals for both of the new consoles and their ads are on in heavy rotation. The Wii U has no deals and is overpriced. How can it expect to compete when it's just $30 less than a Xbox One? I'm not going to repeat the myriad of disadvantages the Wii U has in comparison. The Wii U's advantages are 1st party output and the gamepad, the latter of which is void as a reason because Nintendo haven't utilised it properly. I'm so angry at Nintendo, this for me despite the positives will go down as the biggest f#ck up they've ever made. The list of negatives is endless.

They aren't trying to compete against the XBO or the PS4..that ship sailed about 2 years ago. Their aim is simply to make as much money as possible from the 7-8million people that already own a Wii U. They don't need to advertise the game to those people..Smash sells itself to them.

I think most Wii U owners have a second console, and so given the decision to buy Watchdogs/AC4/COD they'll buy it on the more powerful machine.

I'd say Wii U owners who would buy WD/AC4/COD own a second console. Those who won't generally don't.

Shiiiiiiiit, that Smash debut is abysmal. What a truly depressing time for Nintendo.

I think most Wii U owners have a second console, and so given the decision to buy Watchdogs/AC4/COD they'll buy it on the more powerful machine.

Or half the price on the competition. Which is a lot of competition too.

Shiiiiiiiit, that Smash debut is abysmal. What a truly depressing time for Nintendo.

My question of the moment - what about all those people after bundles that seem to have hit stock shortages? Will those be making it into these figures, given they aren't really 'sold' given the consumer hasn't received a product yet? Could that be affecting things somewhat? Do we have actual sales figures? Will they include eShop downloads/codes etc?

Smash may be a slow burn. Yeah there's not been much advertising - maybe they feel with Smash they don't need to compete right now? Might get a push in the new year when things die down a bit and people have christmas money in their pockets? I know at least one guy so far who's bought a WiiU specifically for Smash(like bought last week) - so it's a console sale which is a good thing at least if it's not a huge anomaly.

I know that myself and many others probably won't be able to buy Smash until they release some more GC Adaptors.

I'm heartbroken :(

I seem to have gotten over my dislike of the 3DS version enough that im willing to get the Wii U one again now. Unfortunately though I have to wait until after Christmas to buy it just incase someone else gets it for me as a present. Im not bothered about the GC adaptors though.

Nintendo is a family console and as such the gamepad is priceless if for no other reason than off screen play. It also makes local multiplayer FPS games much better. Withi regard to the positives/negatives I would say that the only positives PS4/XB1 have are third party software and the graphics are a better, but that's it. I only bought a PS4 for FIFA, PGA and the odd other game like Battlefront. The fallout with EA has been more damaging to Wii U than anything else.

Yeah, but the positive of third-party software is...vast. It literally encompasses the whole industry bar Nintendo software. Also, is there any actual need for local multiplayer in FPSes anymore? As for other local multiplayer games, there are plenty of them on both PS4 and XBO.

Anyway, it isn't as simple as those points. I'd say streaming (everything from Twitch to SharePlay to Remote Play) and video capture integration are amazing positives.

I honestly cannot believe that you aren't even remotely interested in games like The Witcher, DyingLight, Bloodborne, Shadow of Mordor, Far Cry 4, etc, etc,. (There are better examples but I cannot be bothered to think of them. Hell, even P.T. was an amazing game.)

[Regarding gamepad]...It also makes local multiplayer FPS games much better.

That's like saying a free coat that comes with a roofless house helps keep you dry.

Playing FPS games isn't really meaningfully 'enhanced' by the gamepad because of the many other reasons that make FPS games worse on the console. Worse graphics and controller for the local side of things, and crappy infrastructure and userbase packs on to hamper online too.

Yeah, but the positive of third-party software is...vast. It literally encompasses the whole industry bar Nintendo software. Also, is there any actual need for local multiplayer in FPSes anymore? As for other local multiplayer games, there are plenty of them on both PS4 and XBO.

Anyway, it isn't as simple as those points. I'd say streaming (everything from Twitch to SharePlay to Remote Play) and video capture integration are amazing positives.

I honestly cannot believe that you aren't even remotely interested in games like The Witcher, DyingLight, Bloodborne, Shadow of Mordor, Far Cry 4, etc, etc,. (There are better examples but I cannot be bothered to think of them. Hell, even P.T. was an amazing game.)

I couldn't agree more. The lack of 3rd party is the end of Wii U. As I said earlier in the thread Zelda is probably the only other game I'll buy for Wii U going forward.

With regard to the other games you mentioned, I just don't have the time. I've got so many Wii U games I haven't even opened. I spend most of my game time online so just never get around to story mode in games. FIFA & PGA are the only itch that Wii U can't scratch for me right now. I'll get Alien and may play through The Last of Us as I've been sent 2 download codes in error.

This weeks software and hardware sales in Japan.

01./01. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire (Pokemon Co.) {2014.11.21} (¥4.937) – 298.613 / 1.626.284(-78%)

02./00. [PSV] Phantasy Star Nova <RPG> (Sega) {2014.11.27} (¥6.458) – 107.313 / NEW

03./00. [3DS] Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Knight of Fafnir (Atlus) {2014.11.27} (¥6.458) – 59.531 / NEW

04./00. [PSV] Fate/Hollow Ataraxia # (Kadokawa Games) {2014.11.27} (¥6.480) – 53.979 / NEW

05./00. [PS3] Resident Evil HD Remaster # (Capcom) {2014.11.27} (¥4.309) – 50.258 / NEW

06./00. [PS4] Dragon Age: Inquisition # (Electronic Arts) {2014.11.27} (¥7.884) – 29.274 / NEW

07./05. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate # (Capcom) {2014.10.11} (¥6.264) – 27.624 / 2.200.698 (-4%)

08./08. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Nintendo) {2014.09.13} (¥5.616) – 21.755 / 1.758.790 (+29%)

09./07. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Ganso / Honke (Level 5) {2014.07.10} (¥4.937) – 20.577 / 2.902.388 (+15%)

10./00. [PSV] Nisekoi: Yomeiri!? (Konami) {2014.11.27} (¥6.980) – 15.508 / NEW

11./00. [PSV] Dekamori Senran Kagura # (Marvelous) {2014.11.27} (¥4.320) – 14.275 / NEW

12./06. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2015 (Konami) {2014.11.13} (¥8.208) – 12.886 / 104.801 (-37%)

13./15. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 # (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥6.156) – 12.742 / 734.626 (+46%)

14./10. [WIU] Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Nintendo) {2014.11.13} (¥3.996) – 12.211 / 54.053 (-12%)

15./00. [PSV] Ooedo BlackSmith (Nippon Ichi Software) {2014.11.27} (¥6.458) – 11.562 / NEW

16./00. [PS3] Dragon Age: Inquisition # <RPG> (Electronic Arts) {2014.11.27} (¥7.884) – 11.294 / NEW

17./09. [PS3] Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare – Subtitled Edition (Square Enix) {2014.11.13} (¥8.424) – 10.291 / 105.302 (-33%)

18./00. [3DS] Gotouchi Tetsudou: Gotouchi Chara to Nihon Zenkoku no Tabi (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.11.27} (¥5.626) – 9.936 / NEW

19./00. [3DS] Hero Bank 2 (Sega) {2014.11.27} (¥5.550) – 8.014 / NEW

20./03. [PS3] Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires # (Koei Tecmo) {2014.11.20} (¥6.264) – 7.784 / 45.907 (-80%)

1. Nintendo 3DS: 106.517
  2. PlayStation Vita: 29,220
  3. PlayStation 4: 13,489
  4. Wii U: 12,496
  5. PlayStation 3: 5,360
  6. Xbox One: 1,237
  7. Xbox 360: 108
  8. PSP: 18

Wii U has now passed the 2 million sold milestone in Japan after this weeks sales. The exact total sold is 2,009,513.

Edit: Here's a graph I found showing weekly sales from launch right up to the present day.

WiiUGraph.png?eaa32f

I couldn't agree more. The lack of 3rd party is the end of Wii U. As I said earlier in the thread Zelda is probably the only other game I'll buy for Wii U going forward.

If you imagine the games industry as a race, Nintendo is a little boy with a nice suit and a gimpy leg. Sure, they're well presented, but they're always behind.

They were last to adopt CDs, they were last to adopt HD and they're still dragging their heels with online. That's why they just can't compete when it comes to multiplatform and why third parties are staying away.

The Dreamcast was a prime example of what happens when a console receives poor third party support.

If you imagine the games industry as a race, Nintendo is a little boy with a nice suit and a gimpy leg. Sure, they're well presented, but they're always behind.

They were last to adopt CDs, they were last to adopt HD and they're still dragging their heels with online. That's why they just can't compete when it comes to multiplatform and why third parties are staying away.

The Dreamcast was a prime example of what happens when a console receives poor third party support.

I can understand what you're saying with the Dreamcast example and there are a few similarities there. However...I do think you're doing the Dreamcast a bit of an injustice there. The machine itself and the games still contributed a fuck of a lot to gaming. It gave us online with Phantasy Star Online, it gave us iconic games such as Shenmue, Soul Caliber and Crazy Taxi and the design of the controller paved the way for the Xbox-brand.

In about 20 years time, will gamers still talk about the WiiU in the same way that the Dreamcast is fondly remembered of? In my opinion, no. The games that I mentioned above gave us new ideas, it allowed gaming to branch off into new pathways. What does the WiiU really do or have that sets it apart from the other consoles or systems in history? In my opinion, not a lot.

The third party comparison between the DC and WiiU is uncanny, though. It's a bit of a bitter pill to swallow to see Nintendo emulate SEGA in that regard.