NEurope
Hero-of-Time

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

So what do we reckon Smash 4's gonna do for Wii U sales? Both here and Japan? Big jump, little jump, unremarkable jump? I know I already bought my Wii U for it, I half wonder how many others did the same. Might help shift some Basics though.

Going off Wii's figures of 4.5-5kish over last few weeks in Japan I'm gonna go for a modest 20-30k on the Smash week over there(how have hardware sales jumped in other big releases? Like MK8?)

Do we have any UK/EU/general western sales figures for hardware week on week? I know Wii posts the software charts but I never see the hardware much, though tbh I haven't looked much either. I'm guessing cos those charts aren't containing figures? Are there any somewhere that you know of @Wii?

Edited by Rummy

So what do we reckon Smash 4's gonna do for Wii U sales? Both here and Japan? Big jump, little jump, unremarkable jump? I know I already bought my Wii U for it, I half wonder how many others did the same. Might help shift some Basics though.

Going off Wii's figures of 4.5-5kish over last few weeks in Japan I'm gonna go for a modest 20-30k on the Smash week over there(how have hardware sales jumped in other big releases? Like MK8?)

Do we have any UK/EU/general western sales figures for hardware week on week? I know Wii posts the software charts but I never see the hardware much, though tbh I haven't looked much either. I'm guessing cos those charts aren't containing figures? Are there any somewhere that you know of @Wii?

I never see any. Just the very odd time a particular Nintendo region might have a press release when a certain milestone is reached. I don't know why we don't get it publicly like they do in the States and Japan. I think it's to do with money. You'd have to pay companies who monitor these results to make them public.

I expect Wii U sales for the week of Smash's release to be at least 30,000. Maybe as high as 50,000. And sales of the game to be 500,000 for the week.

By comparison, MK8 sold 326,000 copies and 19,300 Wii U's that week.

Edited by Wii

Gaming should hang its head in shame. I really thought Bayonetta 2 would standa chance in North America. That's 3 for 3 territories. NPD sales data is breaking at the minute.

1. NBA 2K15 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
  2. Super Smash Bros. for 3DS (3DS)
  3. The Evil Within (PS4, Xbox One, PS3, 360, PC)
  4. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (360, PS3, PC)
  5. Destiny (360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)
  6. Skylanders: Trap Team (360, Wii, Wii U, PS3, Xbox One, PS4, 3DS, mobile)
  7. FIFA 15 (PS4, 360, PS3, Xbox One, Wii, PS Vita, 3DS)
  8. Madden NFL 15 (360, PS4, PS3, Xbox One)
  9. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (PS4, XBox One, PC)
  10. Minecraft (360, PS3, PS4)

I'm tired but Smash deserves a mention. It amassed sales of over 1.2 million.

Edited by Wii

Gaming should hang its head in shame. I really thought Bayonetta 2 would standa chance in North America. That's 3 for 3 territories. NPD sales data is breaking at the minute.

It can be reviewed as the best game in the world but if it's a niche title, with little advertisement and mass market appeal, then it's just not going to sell in massive quantities.

Looks like the One and PS4 are doing well.

-“October 2014 marks the first 12 months of sales for the Xbox One and PS4,” said Callahan. “After the first year, these consoles have had a great start as cumulative sales are currently over 70 percent higher than the combined first year totals of Xbox 360 and PS3.”

I'm very surprised to see The Evil Within that high. It did get a big marketing push over there though. Seen quite a few adverts on TV and plastered on the side of buses for it over here as well.

1. NBA 2K15 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
  2. Super Smash Bros. for 3DS (3DS)
  3. The Evil Within (PS4, Xbox One, PS3, 360, PC)
  4. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (360, PS3, PC)
  5. Destiny (360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)
  6. Skylanders: Trap Team (360, Wii, Wii U, PS3, Xbox One, PS4, 3DS, mobile)
  7. FIFA 15 (PS4, 360, PS3, Xbox One, Wii, PS Vita, 3DS)
  8. Madden NFL 15 (360, PS4, PS3, Xbox One)
  9. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (PS4, XBox One, PC)
  10. Minecraft (360, PS3, PS4)

I'm tired but Smash deserves a mention. It amassed sales of over 1.2 million.

On the plus side, Bayo 2 apparently outsold the PS3 version of Bayo 1 in it's first month (estimates on GAF peg it at around 70k - obviously not including digital, which wasn't a factor for Bayo 1 back then).

That's not as bad as I was expecting TBH (ok, it's still bad, but I expected a TW101 style bomb here!) - Add on digital sales (which probably won't be insignificant here since the digital version was cheaper in this case - $50 instead of $60 at retail), and you could be looking at 80k+ That's not too bad, all things considered :)

Looks like the One and PS4 are doing well.

Quote:

-“October 2014 marks the first 12 months of sales for the Xbox One and PS4,” said Callahan. “After the first year, these consoles have had a great start as cumulative sales are currently over 70 percent higher than the combined first year totals of Xbox 360 and PS3.”

I'm very surprised to see The Evil Within that high. It did get a big marketing push over there though. Seen quite a few adverts on TV and plastered on the side of buses for it over here as well.

That's some very careful wording used there... We all know that they both got off to explosive starts, but they've been stalling over the last few months and the Xbox One has actually fallen significantly behind the 360 in recent months (in fact, IIRC even the PS4 fell behind it for a few months or so as well...)

But yeah, great result for TEW! It did far better than I had expected!

Guess here's still hope for non-brotastic horror games after all! :D

Edited by Dcubed

That's some very careful wording used there... We all know that they both got off to explosive starts, but they've been stalling over the last few months and the Xbox One has actually fallen significantly behind the 360 in recent months (in fact, IIRC even the PS4 fell behind it for a few months or so as well...)

But yeah, great result for TEW! It did far better than I had expected!

Guess here's still hope for non-brotastic horror games after all! :D

The One maybe but didn't the PS4 do insane numbers in September? I think the number was the 450,000-500,000 mark.

TEW surprises me not because of the genre but because of the glitchy mess it appeared to had being released as.

The One maybe but didn't the PS4 do insane numbers in September? I think the number was the 450,000-500,000 mark.

TEW surprises me not because of the genre but because of the glitchy mess it appeared to had being released as.

It sold that much because of the Destiny bundle. Before that it actually fell behind the 360 for a month or two IIRC.

As for TEW, I suppose that bugs never stopped Battlefield 4, the Elder Scrolls games and loads of EA and Ubisoft games from selling well before, so... :laughing:

It sold that much because of the Destiny bundle. Before that it actually fell behind the 360 for a month or two IIRC.

As for TEW, I suppose that bugs never stopped Battlefield 4, the Elder Scrolls games and loads of EA and Ubisoft games from selling well before, so... :laughing:

Yeah, it was the bundle and the release of the game that propelled it to that level but it was still a very healthy boost. Considering there hasn't been a killer exclusive for the console it's done amazingly well for its first year. Global numbers are pretty good when you consider that Japan isnt interested in the console market this time around.

Yup. Seems to be standard practice for developers these days to just half finish a game and then just shove it on the shelf.

Xmas will be huge for both consoles (Got Far Cry 4, LBP3, GTAV to come still) - along with The Dark Below expansion pack. Dying Light in January. Then February has The Witcher 3 and Evolve (and on the PS4 The Order followed by Bloodborne in March).

Momentum should be pretty solid for a while.

It can be reviewed as the best game in the world but if it's a niche title, with little advertisement and mass market appeal, then it's just not going to sell in massive quantities.

YEAH BUT THE WII U HAS IT AND ITS TOP RATED M8

I don't even know anything much about The Evil Within though I'm sure I saw an advert or two. Maybe I'm out of touch with gaming now, and somewhat on that note - tis weird to see such multiplat charts, don't think I'd ever have envisaged it as a kid. All about Mario vs Sonic back in the day, and then this Crash Bandicoot fool and peeps thinking he he had some sort of traction, ha! How did all that work out then eh!!

This weeks UK Top 40 software sales chart.

1. (NE) (XBO] Halo: The Master Chief Collection

2. (NE) [PS4] Assassin’s Creed: Unity

3. (NE) [XBO] Assassin’s Creed: Unity

4. (01) [PS4] Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

5. (02) [XBO] Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

6. (03) [360] Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

7. (04) [PS3] Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

8. (06) [360] FIFA 15

9. (NE) [360] Assassin’s Creed: Rogue

10. (07) [XBO] FIFA 15

11. (NE) [PC] World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor

12. (10) [360] Minecraft: Xbox Edition

13. (NE) [360] LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham

14. (08) [PS4] FIFA 15

15. (NE) [VITA] Minecraft: PlayStation Edition

16. (NE) [PS4] Pro Evolution Soccer 2015

17. (05) [PC] Football Manager 2015

18. (NE) [PS3] Assassin’s Creed: Rogue

19. (11) [PS3] FIFA 15

20. (12) [PS4] Destiny

21. (14) [PS3] Minecraft: PlayStation Edition

22. (09) [XBO] Sunset Overdrive

23. (15) [PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation Edition

24. (20) [3DS] Tomodachi Life

25. (NE) [PS3] LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham

26. (NE) [PS4] LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham

27. (22) [360] Skylanders Trap Team

28. (21) [360] Disney Infinity 2.0

29. (26) [XBO] Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag

30. (19) [3DS] Super Smash Bros

31. (NE) [PS3] Pro Evolution Soccer 2015

32. (16) [XBO] Forza Horizon 2

33. (13) [PS4] Alien: Isolation

34. (25) [WIIU] Mario Kart 8

35. (18) [360] WWE 2K15

36. (NE) [XBO] LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham

37. (27) [PC] The Sims 4

38. (NE) [XBO] Pro Evolution Soccer 2015

39. (28) [DS] Frozen: Olaf’s Quest

40. (32) [360] Forza Horizon 2

This weeks UK Top 40 software sales chart.

1. (NE) (XBO] Halo: The Master Chief Collection

2. (NE) [PS4] Assassin’s Creed: Unity

3. (NE) [XBO] Assassin’s Creed: Unity

4. (01) [PS4] Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

5. (02) [XBO] Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

6. (03) [360] Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

7. (04) [PS3] Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

8. (06) [360] FIFA 15

9. (NE) [360] Assassin’s Creed: Rogue

10. (07) [XBO] FIFA 15

11. (NE) [PC] World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor

12. (10) [360] Minecraft: Xbox Edition

14. (08) [PS4] FIFA 15

15. (NE) [VITA] Minecraft: PlayStation Edition

16. (NE) [PS4] Pro Evolution Soccer 2015

17. (05) [PC] Football Manager 2015

18. (NE) [PS3] Assassin’s Creed: Rogue

19. (11) [PS3] FIFA 15

20. (12) [PS4] Destiny

21. (14) [PS3] Minecraft: PlayStation Edition

22. (09) [XBO] Sunset Overdrive

23. (15) [PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation Edition

24. (20) [3DS] Tomodachi Life

25. (NE) [PS3] LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham

26. (NE) [PS4] LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham

27. (22) [360] Skylanders Trap Team

28. (21) [360] Disney Infinity 2.0

29. (26) [XBO] Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag

30. (19) [3DS] Super Smash Bros

31. (NE) [PS3] Pro Evolution Soccer 2015

32. (16) [XBO] Forza Horizon 2

33. (13) [PS4] Alien: Isolation

34. (25) [WIIU] Mario Kart 8

35. (18) [360] WWE 2K15

36. (NE) [XBO] LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham

37. (27) [PC] The Sims 4

38. (NE) [XBO] Pro Evolution Soccer 2015

39. (28) [DS] Frozen: Olaf’s Quest

40. (32) [360] Forza Horizon 2

Wonder how the Wii U version of Lego Batman 3 did as it didn't chart.

The 360 still lives. Remarkable.

I don't know but it placed number 3 on the Wii U specific UK software sales chart. I'd guess not a lot.

Wii U

1. Mario Kart 8 – Nintendo
  2. New Super Mario Bros. U – Nintendo
  3. Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham – Traveller’s Tales
  4. Nintendo Land – Nintendo
  5. Disney Infinity 2.0 – Avalanche Software
  6. New Super Luigi U – Nintendo
  7. Hyrule Warriors – Omega Force
  8. Bayonetta 2 – Platinum Games
  9. Skylanders Trap Team – Beenox
  10. Just Dance 2015 – Ubisoft (France)

The 360 still lives. Remarkable.

9 years old on Saturday.

I don't know but it placed number 3 on the Wii U specific UK software sales chart. I'd guess not a lot.

Wii U

1. Mario Kart 8 – Nintendo
  2. New Super Mario Bros. U – Nintendo
  3. Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham – Traveller’s Tales
  4. Nintendo Land – Nintendo
  5. Disney Infinity 2.0 – Avalanche Software
  6. New Super Luigi U – Nintendo
  7. Hyrule Warriors – Omega Force
  8. Bayonetta 2 – Platinum Games
  9. Skylanders Trap Team – Beenox
  10. Just Dance 2015 – Ubisoft (France)

Where the hell is Super Mario 3D World?

9 years old on Saturday.

Where the hell is Super Mario 3D World?

A disgrace that NSMBU is number 2 and NSM3DW has disappeared, really. Didn't particularly rate NSMBU at all.

A disgrace that NSMBU is number 2 and NSM3DW has disappeared, really. Didn't particularly rate NSMBU at all.

I enjoyed both of them but yeah 3D World was the better of the two. I also think Super Luigi was a better game than NSMBU.

It was the same last gen though, wasn't it? The Galaxy games were miles better than NSMB Wii but the latter destroyed the Galaxy games in terms of sales. I think the 2D games just have a wider appeal.

Also NSMBU and Luigi U are crazy cheap at the minute so I reckon that has something to do with it!

Also NSMBU and Luigi U are crazy cheap at the minute so I reckon that has something to do with it!

Yeah, NSMBUMSBUTBMSUBM was £15 in Sainsburys. Think that's the cheapest I've seen it by quite some distance. Surprised to see it that low.

Where at?? Might pick it up for sub-£20...

Nevermind didn't see that post -.- Will look tonight! Really need to get on pre-ordering Smash too...

Where at?? Might pick it up for sub-£20...

Nevermind didn't see that post -.- Will look tonight! Really need to get on pre-ordering Smash too...

Yeah, £13 on shopto. amazing. Really underrated. A little bit bland in its presentation, but level design and control is at the top of its game.

Yeah, £13 on shopto. amazing. Really underrated. A little bit bland in its presentation, but level design and control is at the top of its game.

Bland how? I skipped NSMBWii(just like I did MKWii) so I half don't mind grabbing this on WiiU to make up for it.

Bought! I've still got such a hefty backlog but can't refuse at that price! Maybe I'll play this through before I bother finishing SM3DW.

Bland how? I skipped NSMBWii(just like I did MKWii) so I half don't mind grabbing this on WiiU to make up for it.

Bought! I've still got such a hefty backlog but can't refuse at that price! Maybe I'll play this through before I bother finishing SM3DW.

So have you not played any of these new games? If so you'll probably love it. For me the same presentation just got a bit boring, and I thought nsmb 2 is the worst main mario there's ever been. This game looks like all the others, but its a great side scrolling platofrmer. The luigi dlc is brilliant too.

But either way, for that price you can't go wrong.

So have you not played any of these new games? If so you'll probably love it. For me the same presentation just got a bit boring, and I thought nsmb 2 is the worst main mario there's ever been. This game looks like all the others, but its a great side scrolling platofrmer. The luigi dlc is brilliant too.

But either way, for that price you can't go wrong.

I've owned the original DS NSMB, played NSMBWii on a few various occasions at people's houses, played a bit of NSMBU, none of NSMBLU, didn't touch NSMB2 on 3DS aaaand....not sure what else there is, if any? I owned/played NSM3DL to a farily thorough extent, and own SM3DW but haven't given the latter much time.

I've ordered it anyhow, if it gets to my parents by Thursday morning I'll pick it up and maybe take it for a spin in the coming week. One good thing to say about a title like this is that it's arguably somewhat mindless - simple + straightforward, not asking too much of me and possibly perfect for a bit of pick up and play. Might consider getting my mate involved for the journey, then showing him original SMW on SNES when we're all done, as he's never played that and I'd love to watch him just play through(recently let him have a crack of Kirby SuperStar, and he rather enjoyed it despite the age).

You know this positive Wii U discussion would go great in the Wii U General thread :p