NEurope
Hero-of-Time

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

Not exactly related to sales or charts, but today CD Projekt Group surpassed Ubisoft as Europe's most valuable video game company. 

The CD Projekt Group — which includes The Witcher III: Wild Hunt developer CD Projekt Red and digital distribution platform GOG — skyrocketed again on Monday, officially surpassing Ubisoft to become the most valuable video game company in Europe.

At the time of this writing, Ubisoft is worth PLN 35,6 billion (€7,82 billion), while CDP's market value is estimated at PLN 36,5 billion (€8,01 billion). As a reminder, CDP is also the most valuable Polish company, with the country's second-biggest company PKO Bank Polski still struggling to recover from the economic damage caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

Good lord. I know that's it's in the NPD's Top 10 like every month, but still, I find GTA V selling 130,000,000 units nuts. 

Edited by Julius

50 minutes ago, Julius said:

Good lord. I know that's it's in the NPD's Top 10 like every month, but still, I find GTA V selling 130,000,000 units nuts. 

That really is extraordinary. Will another game ever achieve that? No wonder we didn't get a new GTA game this generation.

I'd still love to see that game on Switch. 

Does that include the free version that Epic gave away? Or is it that physical copies only?

Wasn’t it a thing that a lot of GTA V’s sales were just people rebuying it because you could getter deals on shark cards etc?

little fact about this country. there was more PS2's sold here  per head than any country in the world...

• Like 1

topic actually for a bigger thread but this is sticky so not a big big bump but i also dont have enough to really merit a post so ima take a punt on someone who might @Dcubed any thoughts on ARM Holdings being sold to nVidia and what, if any, impacts you think it might have for any aspects of British industry at the moment?

Or ofc anyone who pays attention to hardware/chip stuff? Didn't really know where if anywhere to put this I just don't know enough except knowing they were a hugely ubiquitous architecture especially amongst Nintendo hardwares too.

38 minutes ago, Rummy said:

topic actually for a bigger thread but this is sticky so not a big big bump but i also dont have enough to really merit a post so ima take a punt on someone who might @Dcubed any thoughts on ARM Holdings being sold to nVidia and what, if any, impacts you think it might have for any aspects of British industry at the moment?

Or ofc anyone who pays attention to hardware/chip stuff? Didn't really know where if anywhere to put this I just don't know enough except knowing they were a hugely ubiquitous architecture especially amongst Nintendo hardwares too.

If there wasn’t enough proof that the Tories are happy to sell off every major British institution and for the UK to become America’s puppet? Well...

Oh no doubt this’ll shake up the industry as a whole; but I think the effects will primarily be medium/long-term.  It’ll no doubt accelerate the end of x86/x64 in the PC space, as well as the demise of Intel & IBM once ARM takes over the server space.

It’s also good news for Nintendo in the medium-term as it grants them an ability to ask for more customised ARM chips at a cheaper price, but it also makes them even more reliant on Nvidia in the long-term than they already are; so I do wonder how long it’ll be until Nvidia start tightening the vice on Nintendo’s balls...

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

The Switch is doing big numbers. If they release more AAA games on it that aren’t just ports it’ll keep selling like crazy too.

• Like 3

Wow, that's insane.

Also I knew Animal Crossing would be BIG but I didn't think it'd sell more than Mario Kart! It's getting very close.

1 hour ago, Kav said:

If they release more AAA games on it that aren’t just ports it’ll keep selling like crazy too.

As soon as the Switch doesn't do gangbusters anymore, Nintendo will just come out and say: "Switch will now only be available for another 3 months. BUY ONE NOW. IT HAS LIMITED AVAILABILITY"
(and a special offer for you: Buy another Switch in that time and you get OS based party chat included. :p) (yes, I will never stop milking that joke. NEVER!)

Great to see that all consoles do so well. Can't believe a few years ago there was talk about how console gaming is dead. Pretty sure the next-gen devices will do similarly well. :peace:

• Haha 1

On 21/05/2020 at 11:56 AM, Julius said:

So, GTA V only sold around another 15 million units in the space of a year. No biggie. That means it likely only outsold the overwhelming majority of AAA new releases in 2020 for the fiscal year. 

And the news of upcoming updates and the next-gen version releasing on November 11th was shared today too, so that's not stopping anytime soon. 

See you in 2026, GTA VI. 

As long as new kids are born every year, there will always be new 10 year olds that’ll beg for GTA 5 along with their new consoles.

On 21/05/2020 at 11:56 AM, Julius said:

It's actually a shame it's sold so well in some respects...they seem to be sticking with GTA V for a good while longer rather than developing the next one, and no doubt they're heavily focused on the microtransaction front as that's where the money is. Sadly it's their golden goose.

A lot of people will just rebuy certain versions of GTAV when it’s on sale because it comes with the shark cards and it’s cheaper than buying them on their own.

5 hours ago, Sheikah said:

It's actually a shame it's sold so well in some respects...they seem to be sticking with GTA V for a good while longer rather than developing the next one, and no doubt they're heavily focused on the microtransaction front as that's where the money is. Sadly it's their golden goose.

Yeah, as someone that always looked forward to the GTA series but never took to the online side, its actually a little frustrating. Don't get me wrong, I think its great that this game is selling so well after all this time and that the online mode is so popular but its clear that because of the insane amount of money GTA Online makes them, that this is now where Rockstar north/TakeTwo interests lie. For example I always assumed that GTA V would get single player DLC much like GTA IV did with Lost and the Damned/Ballad of Gay Tony but after 7 years it's clear that isn't going to happen.

Ok so. I haven't played GTA since my cousin kept calling me up to go play games with him whilst I was in the middle of my usual gangster shit but what is it with GTAV that's got it still going? Was it all that amazing as a single player? Why is online so popular? Why am even *I* getting tempted by the ads I see to find out what it's all about??

I'm sure I tried to play it on PS3 once anf it had like...different dudes and felt a bit too longtings until I felt I was doing much that was actually fun and productive so I kinda stopped? I think I was just turned into a rich dude running around my own mansion and whatever missions I had done seem completely unmemorable. I remember pissing about with outfits in the wardrobe and driving cars but nothing remarkable beyond. Tho maybe I didn't give it enough time to get going?

Nintendo's Q1 2021 results are out!

sales numbers as of June 30, 2021 (+sales in the last quarter):

• Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 37.08M (+1.69M)
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 33.89M (+1.26M)
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 24.77M (+930K)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 23.20M (+920K)
  • Pokémon Sword/Shield - 21.85M (+750K)
  • Super Mario Odyssey - 21.40M (+579K)
  • Super Mario Party - 15.72M (+930K)
  • Pokémon: Let's Go! - 13.57M (+290K)
  • Splatoon 2 - 12.45M (+240K)
  • Ring Fit Adventure - 11.26M (+1.15M)
  • Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury - 6.68M (+1.09M)
  • New Pokémon Snap - 2.07M (not including sales in Japan)
  • Mario Golf: Super Rush - 1.34M
  • Miitopia - 1.04M

PCnI7ch.png

Despite the hype from Japan, YoY sales of hardware are down WW; so 2020 likely was the peak for Switch (as it should be, the platform is now in its 5th year FFS!).

Still fantastic results all around though! :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2

I still think this year overall might surpass 2020, they don't have a massive tentpole coming out for the holiday period but Warioware, Mario Party, Metroid and the Diamond & Pearl remakes will combine to give hardware sale a good boost for Christmas. The last quarter of the FY could put them over the top too with Arceus due in January.

MK8 Deluxe sold another 1.69m copies in the last quarter, it might well make it to the 40 million mark by the end of the year. Combined with the Wii U version it passed Mario Kart Wii ages ago but with the legs of Deluxe mean that it has gone past MK Wii all by itself (slightly behind in the numbers posted today but surely ahead when you factor in sales for the month of July)

I just can't get over the legs that BOTW has had, with the sequel not coming until 2022 it could easily smash the 25 million mark, the next best selling entry in the series isn't even close.

On 05/08/2021 at 2:40 PM, killthenet said:

I still think this year overall might surpass 2020, they don't have a massive tentpole coming out for the holiday period but Warioware, Mario Party, Metroid and the Diamond & Pearl remakes will combine to give hardware sale a good boost for Christmas. The last quarter of the FY could put them over the top too with Arceus due in January.

MK8 Deluxe sold another 1.69m copies in the last quarter, it might well make it to the 40 million mark by the end of the year. Combined with the Wii U version it passed Mario Kart Wii ages ago but with the legs of Deluxe mean that it has gone past MK Wii all by itself (slightly behind in the numbers posted today but surely ahead when you factor in sales for the month of July)

I just can't get over the legs that BOTW has had, with the sequel not coming until 2022 it could easily smash the 25 million mark, the next best selling entry in the series isn't even close.

In Japan? Yeah, it’s not impossible for 2020 to beat 2021 (though it’s gonna be very close either way!).

Worldwide though? Not a chance.

Will still handily beat 2019, 2018 and 2017 WW either way though.

While I'm sure I and many others like their single player experiences the market is clearly speaking towards wanting to buy games that will last forever. Things like Animal Crossing and Mario Kart is indicative of this.

Its frankly still impressive how well Mario Kart continues to sell to this day. I think online is a huge factor in game sales these days as people are more likely to buy a game if their friends have the game so that they can play online with their friends. This seems to have helped in Mario Kart 8's favour as Nintendo has just rereleased the game but since many people didn't get a a Wii U they didn't get this particular iteration of the game and its just done crazy numbers as a result. The fact that the game manages to remain in top 10 sales all the time is seriously impressive, selling almost as well as new games.

PS5 has finally sold more in a month than Switch in the US, ending the Switch’s 33 month run at the top.

On 19/10/2021 at 12:56 PM, Kav said:

PS5 has finally sold more in a month than Switch in the US, ending the Switch’s 33 month run at the top.

That's pretty nuts, considering how hard it still is to get hold of one of the bloody things. Imagine how well it would have sold if they were easily available.

• Like 1