NEurope
Hero-of-Time

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

On 28/12/2018 at 4:18 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

Biggest in January in the UK? It's going up against Resident Evil 2 Remake and Kingdom Hearts III, both of which are multiplatform and MASSIVELY anticipated. I think RE2 will be the winner out of all of them.

New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 11th January

Resident Evil 2 - 25th January

Kingdom Hearts III - 29th January

Mario has a two week head start on RE2 at least...Just noticed that none of them are launching on a Friday, which strikes me as weird.

11 minutes ago, Tim B said:

New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 11th January

Resident Evil 2 - 25th January

Kingdom Hearts III - 29th January

Mario has a two week head start on RE2 at least...Just noticed that none of them are launching on a Friday, which strikes me as weird.

Good point about the 2 week head start.

On 28/12/2018 at 4:18 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

Biggest in January in the UK? It's going up against Resident Evil 2 Remake and Kingdom Hearts III, both of which are multiplatform and MASSIVELY anticipated. I think RE2 will be the winner out of all of them.

Mario's a lot more mainstream, Kingdom Hearts, and maybe Resident Evil, is pretty niche. The NSMB games always sell really well.

KHIII may sell due to being able to play through more recent Disney movies that are more familiar to people here but there may be a lot of people turned off this game due to the high entry barrier of story knowledge and the fact that the series has a reputation for being notoriously convoluted. Or "Weeb Trash" as some people might call it.

7 hours ago, Mandalore said:

Doesn't Nintendo publish their digital sales numbers? Surprised to see Steam on there.

They do not, as far as I'm aware.

The US numbers include digital for all platforms apart from Nintendo and possibly PC and Nintendo still seem to do consistently well in the NPD's so although it might affect things a little bit I don't think it'll skew them out of Nintendo's favour completely. 

Nintendo only publishes official sales figures after every quarter, not sure if they break those numbers down further into digital and physical though.

New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe spends its second week at number 1 - only the second Switch title to manage two weeks, the other one being Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. However, it will be knocked off the top spot by Resident Evil 2 next week and then Kingdom Hearts 3 will take over from it the following week.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-01-20-uk-charts-ace-combat-7-breaks-franchise-records-but-mario-holds-no-1

• Thanks 1

The results for the full month of January in the UK charts.

Top Ten for the period between December 30th 2018 and January 26th 2019 (data courtesy of GfK/Ukie):

1. Resident Evil 2
  2. RDR II
  3. FIFA 19
  4. New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe
  5. CoD: BO4
  6. Super Smash Bros Ultimate
  7. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  8. Battlefield V
  9. Forza Horizon 4
  10. GTA 5

Always bet on Resident Evil 2. :p 

Resident Evil 2 debuted at the top of the monthly charts for January, having been on shelves for only two days when GfK closed its report for the month. As mentioned when the title debuted at the top of the weekly charts earlier this week, physical launch sales were down 18 per cent compared to 2017’s Resident Evil VII but that could largely be down to the shift to digital sales.

Meanwhile, New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe, which launched on January 11th, entered the monthly charts at No.4. Month One sales for the title were up 17 per cent compared to launch sales for the original New Super Mario Bros U.

Back in January 2018, Switch only represented 13.1 per cent of all physical games sold in the UK, while in January 2019, it represented 28.1 per cent. In January 2019, for the first time, Switch has sold more physical titles monthly than the Xbox One. The Switch has been doing better than the Xbox One in terms of value for six out of the past nine months already.

As a comparison, PS4 is still far ahead of both, with 41.7 per cent of all physical games sold in January 2019 going to Sony's console.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Thanks 1

The results for the full month of January in the UK charts.

Top Ten for the period between December 30th 2018 and January 26th 2019 (data courtesy of GfK/Ukie):

1. Resident Evil 2
  2. RDR II
  3. FIFA 19
  4. New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe
  5. CoD: BO4
  6. Super Smash Bros Ultimate
  7. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  8. Battlefield V
  9. Forza Horizon 4
  10. GTA 5

Mario not even close.

NSMBUDX only up 17% from the Wii U seems a bit a disappointment to me, given the Switch's much larger user base. But it does seem like a game that will sell steadily and consistently and stick around in the Top 40 for many months.

Kingdom Hearts III delivering the goods this week.

Square Enix's long-in-development Kingdom Hearts III has topped the UK charts in its first week.
It's the first time the franchise has topped the charts and it's the most successful UK launch on record for the series, at least since the original game proved such a major hit on PlayStation 2 (UKIE/GfK data currently doesn't stretch that far back).
Its sales are more than double that of its direct predecessor, which was released 14 years ago on PlayStation 2. And it's certainly more popular than the subsequent spin-offs and 'remix' versions.
Digital downloads are not included in these figures. Digital downloading didn't exist on consoles for the previous mainline titles in the series, so we should expect that Kingdom Hearts III performed even stronger than what is suggested here.
Because of its PlayStation heritage, it's unsurprisingly to discover that 82 per cent of the game's sales came on PS4, with Xbox One accounting for the remainder.

Two AMAZING games in as many weeks. What a cracking start to the gaming calendar. 

• Like 1

On 02/02/2019 at 1:14 PM, Tim B said:

NSMBUDX only up 17% from the Wii U seems a bit a disappointment to me, given the Switch's much larger user base. But it does seem like a game that will sell steadily and consistently and stick around in the Top 40 for many months.

Turns out it actually sold 56% more at launch than the Wii U version

So we're almost at the end of March now and New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe is the best-selling game for 2019 on Amazon.co.uk. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is number 2 and there are five Nintendo Switch games in the Top 10.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/2019/videogames/ref=zg_bsar_cal_ye

Yoshi's Crafted World is also climbing in pre-orders and must have a chance at getting number 1 this weekend, especially given how long it's been since a first-party Nintendo release. Looking forward to the reviews now.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Sellers-PC-Video-Games/zgbs/videogames

Wow! Fire Emblem Three Houses just megabombed in Japan at retail!

01./00. [NSW] Fire Emblem: Three Houses # <SLG> (Nintendo) {2019.07.26} (¥6.980) - 143.130 / NEW 

[NDS] Fire Emblem: New Shadow Dragons and (Nintendo) - 144,905 {2008.8.7}
[NDS] Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem - Hero of Light and Shadow (Nintendo) - 136.367 {2010.7.15}
[3DS] Fire Emblem: Awakening (Nintendo, 04/19/12) – 242,600
[3DS] Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright / Conquest (Nintendo, 06/25/15) – 260,675
[3DS] Fire Emblem Fates: Special Edition (Nintendo, 06/25/15) – 42,991
[3DS] Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia # <SLG> (Nintendo) {2017.04.20} (¥4.980) - 131.668

Unless this happened because of the NSO vouchers (where there's a huge saving of 6k-ish yen to be made on the digital version), and the game sold another 70-90k digitally; this is a disastrous result for FETH!

Edited by Dcubed

It seems a bit of an overreaction to call it a 'megabomb'. Still pretty healthy figures and like you say it doesn't include digital or NSO vouncher usage so the actual figure is probably significantly higher. It sold super well in the UK so I would be very surprised if it didn't exceed targets in Japan too.

• Thanks 1

Gears 5's UK sales are pretty interesting...

https://www.resetera.com/threads/uk-gears-5-sold-a-quarter-of-gears-4-sales-boxed-sales-digital-and-gp-majority-by-far-bl3-biggest-box-launch-of-the-year-less-than-half-of-bl2.141317/

Apparantly Gears 5 sold just a mere 16k at retail in its opening weekend here in the UK... a massive drop compared to its predecessors...

[Week 46, 2006] 01 (NE) GEARS OF WAR (MICROSOFT) ~ 100,000 / NEW
[Week 45, 2008] 01 (NE) GEARS OF WAR 2 (MICROSOFT) ~ 220,000 / NEW
[Week 38, 2011] 01 (NE) GEARS OF WAR 3 (MICROSOFT) - 323,000 / NEW
[Week 12, 2013] 01 (NE) GEARS OF WAR: JUDGEMENT (MICROSOFT) ~ 80,000 / NEW
[Week 35, 2015] 01 (NE) GEARS OF WAR: ULTIMATE EDITION (MICROSOFT) ~ 40,000 / NEW

Gears of War 4 ~ 94,000

Gears 5 ~ 16,150

This is no doubt due to its inclusion in the Xbox Game Pass from day 1... it's amazing to see how huge an effect that Game Pass has already had on physical sales! It really is utterly profound! :o 

Makes you wonder what Microsoft plan to do with the upcoming Xbox Scarlett... Will they even bother with physical releases at all anymore? With Game Pass now seemingly being their main driver of software income...

Could they even ditch standalone digital releases at full RRP in favour of having Game Pass as the sole driver of software revenue!?

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 1

I may have put a laugh as a reaction, this isn't really funny but just going on what I said in the Gears 5 thread when many were going for Game Pass and I didn't...

On 21/07/2019 at 11:38 AM, S.C.G said:

It is tempting but I just can't do it, to me Game Pass is Microsofts first step towards becoming totally digital so I can't support it.

If I did that, then played the campaign then I almost certainly wouldn't have any need to pick up the retail version cheap at a later date.

I know a lot of other people will go for the Game Pass around when Gears 5 comes out and I wouldn't try to fault anyone for doing so either because it is a fantastic deal.

I'm in the minority over this one and it's fine but it will certainly be interesting to see the long-term impact Game Pass has over a big game like Gears 5.

I think the price of the retail version will plummet within weeks and will be sub £15 by the end of the year.

In the meantime though, I could do a lot worse than actually play Gears 4 to completion I suppose, I may do that soon.

At this rate, Microsoft will be going digital either at the start of the next generation or even before that to cut their losses. :hmm:

To be honest I'm all for a complete digital future in gaming. I still like to get my physical retro games but other than that as long as the price is ok (which at the moment it isnt) then I would happily buy all new releases digitally.

I'll never accept it, until the day that I "have" to... and even then I probably won't because I just don't see the advantage of buying digitally over physically, especially with the prices.

I understand the concept of convenience but, going by how far we've come, Switch cards are so small for instance that I wouldn't have a problem carrying them around.

I've found that often even on consoles where I have a lot of digital games such as on the Xbox One, it doesn't mean I'm any more likely to play them versus if I had them boxed either.

Because of Game Pass though, I do think game prices will have to come down now, at least on the Xbox One, there's no other option for Microsoft at this point.

On the Switch though? Boxed games seem to be doing very well indeed, most first-party titles are around £40 boxed while they can be up to £50 digitally too.

I know games take up space, I think it's worth it though, Switch boxes are the smallest case size which is likely to be made now as well making it easier to collect for.

When it comes to digital storage space though, that's another factor, I'm still using my 256GB Micro SD card on the Switch thanks to buying physical, if I had all digital I'd need a bigger card.

Clearly there are arguements for both, I think we're approaching a turning point now though where Microsoft will go digital first, Sony will offer both to start with and the Switch might just end up being one of the last gaming platforms which supports physical games, though I do think that so long as there is a physical option, even in a dimished form then some companies will continue to make boxed game alternatives to digitial, so long as it's still financially viable. :peace:

Next gen is going to be very interesting between Sony and Microsoft. Game Pass and more first party output could swing things around for Xbox in a big way, especially if PS5 is just more of the same. Sony seem happy to just coast along this whole gen and rely on first party games, we'll see what innovations they'll bring to the table next year I guess.

Is top 20 a good result for Daemon Ex Machina? It seems positive that it's charted but it probably doesn't equate to many sales. 

How does Gamepass work, do they rotate games out? Considering there were deals to get gamepass for a £1 or something, unless that was for the Windows one only, I can't imagine them making a lot of money from it.