NEurope
Hero-of-Time

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

5 minutes ago, Tim B said:

Next week's UK chart is going to be carnage with all the Black Friday deals going around. I can see Fifa 19 or something slightly random and multi-format topping it next week.

God of War is down to £20 at a bunch of places, will be interesting to see what sort of spike that gets. It's not on the PS4 charts at all for this week (at least not in the top 20). 

You're probably right about FIFA though, that hasn't had as hefty a discount as some of the other games but I think it's enough of one that it'll sell a boat load.

51 minutes ago, killthenet said:

God of War is down to £20 at a bunch of places, will be interesting to see what sort of spike that gets. It's not on the PS4 charts at all for this week (at least not in the top 20). 

You're probably right about FIFA though, that hasn't had as hefty a discount as some of the other games but I think it's enough of one that it'll sell a boat load.

I’m actually thinking of picking up God of War myself later this week — the price it’s at right now just seems too good to let pass, and it could be a while before it drops this low again. I’ve seen Spider-Man available for below £30 for the first time too; the complete edition of Horizon Zero Dawn is down to around £20; and plenty of other critically appraised games, such as Shadow of the ColossusNier: Automata, etc., can be had for around £15. 

It’s undoubtedly a great time of year to be a gamer :D 

Edited by Julius

1 hour ago, Julius said:

I’m actually thinking of picking up God of War myself later this week — the price it’s at right now just seems too good to let pass, and it could be a while before it drops this low again. I’ve seen Spider-Man available for below £30 for the first time too; the complete edition of Horizon Zero Dawn is down to around £20; and plenty of other critically appraised games, such as Shadow of the ColossusNier: Automata, etc., can be had for around £15. 

It’s undoubtedly a great time of year to be a gamer :D 

I picked it up myself, have been tempted by Detroit, Horizon and Nier but I can't really afford to get more than GoW at the moment, I've added a couple of them to my Xmas list in the hopes that someone will pick them up for me but I'm hoping the prices are this good after Xmas when I can actually afford to go nuts and buy 7 or 8 games.

• Like 1

Quick anecdote from my life:

Yesterday I went to a local store to buy a LAN cable. I knew it was "Black Friday" (or the equivalent in Germany...there are like 800 names for it) but I didn't really think about it. I walked into the store, pass the checkstands and it was a sight to behold: Switches and PS4s being bought left and right. :D 

Holiday season is gonna be huge for Sony and Nintendo.

• Like 3

Spyro jumped up three places in the charts? That's curious.

Battlefield V seems to have hit number four in the charts in spite of "poor sales". I wonder what all the people who are trading in Fallout 76 are buying instead?

Smash Bros out for the next charts, should be interesting to see how that fares. Then 2018 will have played it's hand in terms of big releases.

With Nintendo boasting about its pre-order sales for Smash Bros a couple of weeks ago, it would come as a surprise if it didn't make number 1 in the UK at least.

Very interested to see the sales figures for Smash Ultimate. Obviously it will go to number one in the UK but I imagine it is massively up on Smash 4 for Wii U. A vastly higher install base and I haven't witnessed so much hype for a game since Super Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild. 

It'll definitely beat Pokemon, no question.

Only question here is, by how much?

Smash is estimated to have sold 1.3million copies in Japan, actual figures won't be out until midweek but if it's accurate then it's the best debut for a non-Pokemon Nintendo game in Japan ever. It's also outsold the lifetime total for Smash for Wii U, and will have pretty much surpassed the lifetime totals for Melee and the N64 original in its first weekend on sale. 

If my memory is correct then it will have already shifted more copies than Mario and Zelda have in Japan so far, will surely be pushing 5 million worldwide considering how well the series sells in the US.

• Like 2

Absolutely insane numbers, and thoroughly deserved. Sakurai pulled no punches in this game, not only another incredible celebration of Nintendo history, but also Smash Bros history. 

5 million opening week is a huge possibility. I’m more interested in the hardware numbers though, is this really gonna help push the Switch over 20 mil for the year?

Surely the Switch has a good chance of getting to 20 million this fiscal year now.

New Super Mario Bros. Deluxe U will also be a huge software seller in January (particularly big for casuals) and then there should be first party Nintendo games coming in February and March as well, though we won't know what they are until the January Direct.

Edited by Tim B
adding stuff

I still don't think that Switch will make it to 20 million, the gap is just too wide.

It'll come close though, probably around 18-19 million by the end of the fiscal year.

I wonder if Smash Ultimate has any chance of landing the Xmas Number One? We'll probably find out on Monday after seeing how well it sold in week two. Red Dead seems to be selling pretty consistently and is on more than one more format, so I wouldn't bet against that.

Is Xmas Number 1 a thing outside of music singles? What was it last year, FIFA?

17 minutes ago, bob said:

Is Xmas Number 1 a thing outside of music singles? What was it last year, FIFA?

Yeah, it's still a big thing over here.

Its usually a mainstream game that claims the top spot, like FIFA or CoD. It will be quite the surprise if it's a 1st party title to snatch it.

I think that New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe is going to be one of the biggest-selling games of 2019, almost certainly the biggest of January. The mainstream gaming public must have a huge appetite for a 2D Mario game and many will not have played one since 2012's New Super Mario Bros. 2 on 3DS or New Super Mario Bros. Wii in 2009. It's something which will consistently sell well and I imagine it will feature in the Top 40 of the UK chart for perhaps the entire year.

Also, it's launching at an extremely quiet time of year, just like Mario Tennis Aces did, which should make it a guaranteed #1. 

Edited by Tim B

2 hours ago, Tim B said:

I think that New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe is going to be one of the biggest-selling games of 2019, almost certainly the biggest of January. The mainstream gaming public must have a huge appetite for a 2D Mario game and many will not have played one since 2012's New Super Mario Bros. 2 on 3DS or New Super Mario Bros. Wii in 2009. It's something which will consistently sell well and I imagine it will feature in the Top 40 of the UK chart for perhaps the entire year.

Also, it's launching at an extremely quiet time of year, just like Mario Tennis Aces did, which should make it a guaranteed #1. 

Biggest in January in the UK? It's going up against Resident Evil 2 Remake and Kingdom Hearts III, both of which are multiplatform and MASSIVELY anticipated. I think RE2 will be the winner out of all of them.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Would be interesting to get sales figures for the entire duration of 2018 to find out which was the best selling game.

If Fortnite wasn't free I would imagine that would be in contention... but then again it's probably because it's free that it became so popular.