NEurope
Hero-of-Time

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Wonder if THQ Nordic might push for a Switch version of Shenmue 3... (though I suppose that if Sony did have a funding deal in place, as is rumoured, that might prevent it from happening regardless...)

Agreed. I think that it can be certainly be assumed that Sony must have invested a tidy little sum, considering that, if I’m remembering correctly, Shenmue 3 is going to be console exclusive to PS4?

With that in mind, I think the rumoured Shenmue 1+2 HD is a bit more likely to come to Switch than 3 is. 

January NPD results are in and the Switch sold the most units, PS4 generated the most revenue and the 3DS recorded it's best Jan since 2013! The little handheld refuses to die. :D Software wise, Monster Hunter World went straight in at number 1. Good stuff.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

January NPD results are in and the Switch sold the most units, PS4 generated the most revenue and the 3DS recorded it's best Jan since 2013! The little handheld refuses to die. :D Software wise, Monster Hunter World went straight in at number 1. Good stuff.

And Xbox had a strong showing as well, the games industry is buzzing at the moment, everyone doing well! 

So impressed with how Capcom have handled the MH release, a month on and it's still the biggest game to have released this year and hoovering up sales from people champing at the bit for something new to play after Xmas.

I mentioned in the specific thread about the % of an early achievement people had completed, and I looked into more of them and some of it is shocking, honestly it seems barely half the people who have it have progressed very far at all.

I guess the game isn't like Destiny or PUBG/Fortnite where it relies on concurrent players, but hopefully the player base won't drop off compared to how many units it's shifted.

4 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

And Xbox had a strong showing as well, the games industry is buzzing at the moment, everyone doing well! 

So impressed with how Capcom have handled the MH release, a month on and it's still the biggest game to have released this year and hoovering up sales from people champing at the bit for something new to play after Xmas.

I mentioned in the specific thread about the % of an early achievement people had completed, and I looked into more of them and some of it is shocking, honestly it seems barely half the people who have it have progressed very far at all.

I guess the game isn't like Destiny or PUBG/Fortnite where it relies on concurrent players, but hopefully the player base won't drop off compared to how many units it's shifted.

People on PS4 seem to be progressing nicely. This was posted last week over on Push Square.

A lot of people quit games pretty early on. They lose interest or they start playing something else, and the game doesn't get finished. This has always been a worry for many developers, which leads to a lot of specific design choices that aim to keep players engaged. 

Monster Hunter: World doesn't seem to have that problem, though. A reader tipped us off that just over 67 per cent of players on PlayStation 4 have stuck with Monster Hunter: World past the initial story. This is according to the game's Trophy data, which shows that 67.1 per cent of people have obtained the 'Into The Deep' Trophy, meaning that they've reached high rank missions.

As far as most games go, that percentage suggests very healthy player retention. It takes a fair number of hours to get to that point, so clearly a lot of people have been more than happy to keep up the hunt.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

People on PS4 seem to be progressing nicely. This was posted last week over on Push Square.

That good news, just Xbox then 😂

42% have the Into the deep achievement on Xbox, just checked.

Also, I have that one, does that mean I'm fighting high rank monsters, then? Genuinely thought I was still waiting for that to happen, just about to fight Zorah for the second time.

Edited by Kaepora_Gaebora

Horizon Zero Dawn has sold over 7.6 million units in its first year on sale, according to the PlayStation Blog, which makes it the best-selling new first-party franchise launch title on PS4. 

2017 was the biggest ever year for games software, reaching a record £3.56bn in sales, driven by record results in both Digital and Online sales (£1.6bn, +13.4%) and Mobile Games, which achieved revenues over £1bn for the first time (£1.07, +7.8%). Boxed software remains a substantial factor in software sales and reversed recent trends to return a +3.4% increase in sales to £790m.

Top 10 Games (Packaged and Digital Sales)*

01. FIFA 18 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 2,696,721
02. CALL OF DUTY: WWII (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 2,442,416
03. GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) - 1,080,022
04. ASSASSIN'S CREED ORIGINS (UBISOFT) - 679,965
05. DESTINY 2 (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 673,551
06. STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT II (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 658,814
07. CRASH BANDICOOT N.SANE TRILOGY (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 651,354
08. TOM CLANCY'S GHOST RECON: WILDLANDS (UBISOFT) - 574,889
09. GRAN TURISMO: SPORT (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - 484,833
10. HORIZON ZERO DAWN (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - 456,374

*Nintendo and Bethesda don't provide digital sales numbers (Not that it'd make a difference to the top 10)

Straight from ResetEra.

Three PS4 exclusives in the top 10 is impressive. Could happen again next year with GoW, Spiderman, Days Gone and/or Spyro (if that's exclusive).

Oh...and GTA fucking V. 1 million last year? It came out in 2013...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Taken this from Go Nintendo, the top selling Switch games for its first year in Japan: 

1. Splatoon 2 – 1,995,731 
2. Super Mario Odyssey – 1,529,207 
3. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 1,292,299 
4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 785,285 
5. 1-2-Switch – 338,401 
6. ARMS – 329,050 
7. Monster Hunter XX – 222,620 
8. Pokken Tournament DX – 207,029 
9. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 – 168,271 
10. Super Bomberman R – 134,844 
11. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle – 134,546 
12. Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 – 107,595 
13. FIFA 18 – 74,927 
14. Fire Emblem Warriors – 67,162 
15. Dragon Quest Heroes 1 & 2 – 67,059 
16. Puyo Puyo Tetris – 64,637 
17. Seiken Densetsu Collection – 54,350 
18. Snipperclips Plus – 53,198 
19. Sumikko Gurashi: Sumikko Park he Youkoso – 49,919 
20: Snipperclips (download card version) – 38,429

They do love their Splatoon!

• Like 2

Look at those Japanese sales, you know it makes sense...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Kav said:

Look at those Japanese sales, you know it makes sense...

Keep it the hell away from the Switch. Bring back the portable series if need be but don't go ruining World.

10 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Keep it the hell away from the Switch. Bring back the portable series if need be but don't go ruining World.

You’ve got it on PS4 already, why would it bother you? Haha

2 minutes ago, Kav said:

You’ve got it on PS4 already, why would it bother you? Haha

Because i've had to put up with the series being on underpowered hardware for long enough. If it were on the Switch and done stupid numbers there's always the chance Capcom could keep the series on that platform as an exclusive, which is something I simply don't want.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 2

Good point!

Although I do think, given the numbers it’s doing, they’d keep it multiplatform.

Edited by Kav

Shamelessly stolen from ResetEra:

Here are the numbers for February 2018:

• Total: $995 million (up 23 percent from $811 million in February 2017)
  • Hardware: $316 million (up 55 percent from $204 million)
  • PC and console software: $397 million (flat from $397 million)
  • Accessories: $282 million (up 35 percent from $210 million)

Software

After leading the market in January, Monster Hunter: World repeated as the month's top-selling title overall, once again leading on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One platforms. Unsurprisingly, Monster Hunter: World is currently 2018's best-selling game.
Call of Duty: WWII was February's second best-selling title, and remains the best-selling title for the 12-month period ending February 2018.
Mario Kart 8 returned to the top of the Nintendo Switch chart for the first time since May 2017. Nintendo was February's leading publisher in software dollar sales, while Capcom remains the top-selling publisher of 2018.

Hardware

Total hardware unit sales, dollar sales and average pricing were all up by double-digit percentages in February 2018 when compared to a year ago. Console hardware spending reached the highest total for a February since 2014.
Sony's PlayStation 4 was the best-selling console in February, and remains the best-selling console year to date. Nintendo Switch remains on a record-setting sales pace.
Over the first twelve months in market, Nintendo Switch has achieved the highest installed base for a console platform in history.

Sony and Nintendo keep crushing it.

Monster Hunter is doing great, as well.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Shamelessly stolen from ResetEra:

Sony and Nintendo keep crushing it.

Monster Hunter is doing great, as well.

Yeah, Monster Hunter being top of the NPDs again is fantastic news for the series. Warms my heart seeing it making bank and getting rid of the notion that it would fail if not on a handheld.

Great news for both the PS4 and the Switch. Although, as pointed out on Era, the Wii will probably overtake the Switch next month. Apparently it was in its 13th month when the Wii really started to pick up the pace. I assume that's when Nintendo finally sorted out the stock issues. ::shrug:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, Monster Hunter being top of the NPDs again is fantastic news for the series. Warms my heart seeing it making bank and getting rid of the notion that it would fail if not on a handheld.
Great news for both the PS4 and the Switch. Although, as pointed out on Era, the Wii will probably overtake the Switch next month. Apparently it was in its 13th month when the Wii really started to pick up the pace. I assume that's when Nintendo finally sorted out the stock issues. ::shrug:
Yeah I remember the Wii being constantly out of stock whereas you can quite comfortably get a Switch wherever you want right now. I remember Wii being massive in terms of craze/widespread adoption so for me I don't see the Switch as being as much of a 'hit' (but it's better, so who cares).

UK games retail is having a tough time at the moment.

For a second week running, there are no new games in the UK boxed charts.

Far Cry 5 secures its third week at the top with a 45% drop in sales week-on-week.

FIFA 18 holds No.2 with a 7% drop in sales.

And to highlight just how difficult last week was for UK retail, Mario Kart 8: Deluxe is back at No.3, despite a 17% drop in sales.

The only game in the Top Ten to increase in sales week-on-week is Fallout 4, which rose from No.12 to No.7 with a 12% increase in sales.

Selling around 3,500 copies would have got any game into the Top Ten this week.

The boxed games market is enduring a game drought, which is likely to last up until September. There are a smattering of sizeable games to come, the biggest of which arrives this week in the form of God of War for PS4.

Nintendo Labo is also due to arrive the following week.

Year-to-date, every single platform is showing a decline in software sales bar Nintendo Switch, which didn't launch until March last year, so the comparisons are not possible. PS4, which is only 7.8% down in software sales year-to-date, may turn that around entirely with the launch of God of War. Last year the platform had Horizon: Zero Dawn launch in March to significant success.

Is this entirely down to downloadable games? Or is there slowdown in the whole gaming sector in the UK?

1 minute ago, bob said:

Is this entirely down to downloadable games? Or is there slowdown in the whole gaming sector in the UK?

Hard to say without download numbers but I imagine they are having a significant effect on retail. 

Personally I think 2018 has been a bit of a slow year for video games. There have been some big game releases that have come out so far this year (with yesterday's release of God of War on PS4 being a good example) and there's been plenty of new stuff to potentially play but it doesn't seem like the "biggest" games are really out yet and I can't see the picture changing until after E3 when we get a better idea of what's in store for all three major platforms.

I guess this is what happens after a very strong 2017 when so many good new games were released (and some controversial ones), but yeah, 2018 so far is very flat. I haven't purchased any new games this year until today when I decided to download A Hat in Time after being interested in that game for some time.

The NPDs for the month of March 2018 are in, and its an interesting one.

Summary

• Total: $1.316 billion (down 11 percent from $1.478 billion in March 2017)

• Hardware: $331 million (down 32 percent from $485 million)

• PC and console software: $613 million (down 10 percent from $682 million)

• Accessories: $372 million (up 20 percent from $310 million)

Software

Far Cry 5 debuts as the top-selling title of March 2018 and instantly becomes the best-selling title of 2018, setting a new launch month sales record for the Far Cry franchise, with consumer spending on full-game sales nearly doubling that of previous franchise best, Far Cry 3. Publisher Ubisoft is the leading publisher in both March and 2018 year to date (January through March).

Sea of Thieves was the second best-selling game of March, and is the eighth best-selling game of 2018 year to date, generating the highest launch month sales for any title produced by developer Rare since tracking by The NPD Group began in 1995.

Also of note is that Sony’s MLB 18: The Show and Hal Laboratory’s Kirby: Star Allies both had the best-selling debuts in their series histories.

Hardware

Compared to March 2017, consumers spent less on hardware last month — $331 million, down 32 percent from $485 million. But year to date, hardware-spending is at a high, generating $925 million so far in 2018. This was driven mainly by Microsoft’s Xbox One, though Sony’s PlayStation 4 remains the best-selling console in March and 2018. The Nintendo Switch 32GB with red and blue Joy-Con controllers was the best-selling hardware in March and 2018.

Accessories

The headsets/headphones segment is driving accessories growth across both platforms, likely driven by the increase in popularity of multiplayer games such as Fortnite from Epic Games.

Edited by Julius Caesar

The most surprising and impressive thing about last months sales was just how well Sea of Thieves performed.

“Sea of Thieves was the second best-selling game of March, and is the eighth best-selling game of 2018 year to date,” said Piscatella. “Sea of Thieves generated the highest launch month sales for any title produced by developer Rare since tracking by The NPD Group began in 1995.”