NEurope
Hero-of-Time

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

Very disappointing hardware bump for Switch.  Nintendo screwed up bad with the console's supply; so much money being left on the table...

Delighted to see ARMS get a huge bump though! [25.285 / 297.491 (+136%)], about damn time that game got its dues! 400k should be more than doable (maybe even 500k when all is said and done!).  Insane boosts for Kirby: Battle Royale [42.796 / 115.324 (+70%)] and New Style Boutique 3 too! [21.321 / 105.557 (+58%)] The old 3D dog isn't dead yet!

Pokken dx has also now officially surpassed the original Wii U version, joining MK8dx in an extremely select club of just a few ports/remakes that have ever surpassed their original counterparts!

The biggest surprise for me though is Yo-kai Watch Busters 2, [184.739 / 393.279 (-11%)], with an amazing hold over its launch week!

Pokemon US/UM are almost at 2 million too! After the dismal performance of the original Sun/Moon, by series standards, and the rapid decline of the ageing 3DS, I'm really shocked at how well US/UM are doing! It has already surpassed Pokemon Crystal!  Next up is Emerald (2,197,017) then Yellow (2,294,065), which it should do quite easily.  Platinum isn't an impossible target now! (2,604,510), but it probably won't beat Black 2/White 2 (3,019,274), the reigning champions of 3rd versions.

I wonder how this happened with US/UM? It just defies logic! Perhaps quite a lot of people heard about the Pokemon Stars rumour, got pissed off and waited?

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dcubed said:

wonder how this happened with US/UM? It just defies logic! Perhaps quite a lot of people heard about the Pokemon Stars rumour, got pissed off and waited?

That's the only explanation that makes sense. Especially seeing as the previous X/Y didn't even have a third version. US/UM itself is pretty damn light on new/tweaked content.

I don't really keep up to date with game sales, but Sun/Moon did poorly? I swear I was led to believe that the Pokémon GO hype gave a huge boost to sales?

27 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I don't really keep up to date with game sales, but Sun/Moon did poorly? I swear I was led to believe that the Pokémon GO hype gave a huge boost to sales?

It did... outside of Japan.

Clearly Japan is happy with Pokemon Go and doesn't want proper mainline games anymore...

• Haha 1

Was there ever any official info on Battlefield 2 sales released? I remember it was down something like 50% in Japan, but haven't heard anything about the US/Europe. Anyone know how badly it bombed??

Was there ever any official info on Battlefield 2 sales released? I remember it was down something like 50% in Japan, but haven't heard anything about the US/Europe. Anyone know how badly it bombed??

The Switch has outsold the PS2 in terms of first year sales in Japan, both launched in March of their specific year, PS2 shifted 3 million, Switch 3.3 million.

@Dcubed, tell me how it's disappointing... ;)

Edited by Kaepora_Gaebora
Japan specific sales figures

1 hour ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

The Switch has outsold the PS2 in terms of first year sales in Japan, both launched in March of their specific year, PS2 shifted 3 million, Switch 3.3 million.

@Dcubed, tell me how it's disappointing... ;)

I think he meant more the bump in sales rather than overall sales was disappointing.

Edited by Sheikah
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sony sold over 5.9 million PS4s over the holidays (down from 6.2 million last year) and 20.2 million units from January 2nd through December 31st (a record for the platform in an annual year). The console now sits at over 73.6 million units sold worldwide.

With the games they have coming later this year - heck, even just later this month - and next year too, 100 million seems a formality, so long as they don’t start talking about the PS5 too soon. I have to wonder if they could even pull it off this year, seeing as they have the line-up to potentially back up such a surge, though it admittedly seems unlikely (but not impossible), as the 26.4 million units they would need to sell this year to cross the 100 million unit threshold would be a record for any platform within an annual year.

Elsewhere, software sales reached 645 million, with 243.9 million units being sold in 2017 alone. The PS Store recorded its  largest ever monthly sales of content in December 2017, and the number of PS Plus subscribers crossed 31.5 million.

PS4 console annual sales:

Year — annual — holiday — cumulative

2013 — 4.2M — N/A — 4.2M

2014 — 14.3M — 4.2M — 18.5M

2015 — 17.4M — 5.7M — 35.9M

2016 — 17.5M — 6.2M — 53.4M

2017 — 20.2M — 5.9M — 73.6M

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Like 1

On 1/9/2018 at 5:27 AM, Julius Caesar said:

Sony sold over 5.9 million PS4s over the holidays (down from 6.2 million last year) and 20.2 million units from January 2nd through December 31st (a record for the platform in an annual year). The console now sits at over 73.6 million units sold worldwide.

With the games they have coming later this year - heck, even just later this month - and next year too, 100 million seems a formality, so long as they don’t start talking about the PS5 too soon. I have to wonder if they could even pull it off this year, seeing as they have the line-up to potentially back up such a surge, though it admittedly seems unlikely (but not impossible), as the 26.4 million units they would need to sell this year to cross the 100 million unit threshold would be a record for any platform within an annual year.

Elsewhere, software sales reached 645 million, with 243.9 million units being sold in 2017 alone. The PS Store recorded its  largest ever monthly sales of content in December 2017, and the number of PS Plus subscribers crossed 31.5 million.

PS4 console annual sales:

Year — annual — holiday — cumulative

2013 — 4.2M — N/A — 4.2M

2014 — 14.3M — 4.2M — 18.5M

2015 — 17.4M — 5.7M — 35.9M

2016 — 17.5M — 6.2M — 53.4M

2017 — 20.2M — 5.9M — 73.6M

Quick question but, i have always wondered if PS4 will be able to play PS5 games?

Edited by sven

Quick question but, i have always wondered if PS4 will be able to play PS5 games?
Or indeed, PS6 games.

17 hours ago, sven said:

I’ve actually been thinking similarly about the Xbox One X being able to play Xbox Two (or whatever it’s called) games, and becoming the budget alternative to Microsoft’s next console, should they stay in the hardware business. 

However, I doubt Sony would take that route, mainly because they don’t need to, but also because the PS4 Pro isn’t as large as a technological leap from the based model as the X was from the Xbox One. Something I definitely want to see from them with the PS5, though, is complete backwards compatibility with the entire catalogue of PS4 games, as opposed to 2 years of porting titles with slight visual touch-ups.

Nintendo killing it these days with the Switch and Sony is still going strong with the PS4. Crazy good times for console gaming. :peace:

While global shipments of the PS4 are down for the quarter compared to Q3 FY 2016 (9 million against 9.7 million), the PlayStation division's sales and profits are up. 

Worldwide total shipments for PlayStation 4 have reached 76.5 million, Sony announced in its financial results for the three months ended December 31, 2017. 718 Billion yen in sales (617 Billion yen in sales in 2016) with a profit of 85 Billion yen (50 Billion yen in 2016), are certainly impressive, with Sony citing an increase in PS4 software sales as one of the reasons for the growth.

Sony still forecasts total PS4 shipment numbers of 19 million for the 2017 financial year ending March 31, 2018.

Source - usgamer.net

GTA V has sold over 90 million units worldwide, having sold a total of 15 million units in 2017 alone. Approximately 1 in 3 current gen gamers have purchased the game.

Must be nice. [for Rockstar]

Edited by Julius Caesar

Approximately 1 in 3 current gen gamers have purchased the game.
Must be nice.

Just buy the game if you want it that badly.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/thq-nordic-acquires-koch-media-gmbh.23205/

Oh wow! THQ Nordic just fully acquired Koch Media/Deep Silver!!

That came out of nowhere!! I always thought that Koch Media was the bigger of the two! :o Absolutely shocking!!

This basically means that THQ are back together again in whole.  It also means that THQ Nordic now own Dead Island and Saints Row (again!) and that THQ Nordic will be publishing SEGA/Atlus games in Europe from now on (just like in the GBA days!)

I can’t believe they got them for so cheap too! (Only €121 million!).  They publish for a huge number of developers in Europe and have some pretty valuable IPs too! Sure, Agents of Mayhem was a big flop and they haven’t had the greatest success in recent times with their bigger releases, but still! :o 

What’s also interesting is that THQ Nordic are big Nintendo supporters (unlike Deep Silver), meaning that we may well see games like Saints Row finally hit Nintendo systems!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

What’s also interesting is that THQ Nordic are big Nintendo supporters (unlike Deep Silver), meaning that we may well see games like Saints Row finally hit Nintendo systems!

Given that Agents of Mayhem completely bombed ( I actually just picked it up for £5 in Sainsburys yesterday :D ) I can't see Saints Row making an appearance anywhere anytime soon.

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Given that Agents of Mayhem completely bombed ( I actually just picked it up for £5 in Sainsburys yesterday :D ) I can't see Saints Row making an appearance anywhere anytime soon.

I’d expect a remaster of the original for all systems.  THQ Nordic’s modus operandi has basically been to make remasters of games to fund new releases and that has been working out very well for them.

Pretty crazy to think that they’ll be publishing Shenmue 3 now! Who could have imagined a THQ funded Shenmue 3 just a few years back!? :laughing:

6 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

That came out of nowhere!!

No kidding! And, if I recall correctly, not only will they be publishing SEGA/Atlus games in Europe, but this acquisition would mean that they would be publishing Shenmue 3, which I believe was due to be published by Deep Silver. 

What’s even more intriguing, with regards to Shenmue, is that Shenmue 1+2 HD is heavily rumoured to be making its way out from SEGA prior to Shenmue 3’s release. So, in Europe, at least, THQ might get to eat all of the proverbial Shenmue pies :D

3 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I’d expect a remaster of the original for all systems.  THQ Nordic’s modus operandi has basically been to make remasters of games to fund new releases and that has been working out very well for them.

It would have to be a hell of a remaster. The original Saints Row was pretty rough back in the day, never mind trying to release it now.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

7 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I dont think Agents of Mayhem doing badly necessarily means we wont see any new Saints Row. While it was set in the same universe it didnt have the branding. An actual Saints Row titled game would have a lot more pull.

Just now, Happenstance said:

I dont think Agents of Mayhem doing badly necessarily means we wont see any new Saints Row. While it was set in the same universe it didnt have the branding. An actual Saints Row titled game would have a lot more pull.

True but we are living in a world where GTA V still pulls in an insane amount of people. You have to wonder just what kind of impact a new Saints Row game would actually have.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It would have to be a hell of a remaster. The original Saints Row was pretty rough back in the day, never mind trying to release it now.

True... but how about Saints Row 2? That wouldn't require nearly as much work and is pretty beloved amongst its fanbase...

Or perhaps a recreation of SR1 in SR4's engine? 

• Thanks 1

Never played SR1 but I got and played SR2 simply from the stupidity of the SR3 trailer way before that was out. To date I'd still rate SR2 as one of my most memorable games for some of the things it did, whilst doing things that were kinda on top of the things it was imitating. It was a parody that was also not only just a parody, imo. Real great game - if it could be a cheap port to Switch I'd say they should definitely do it. It might feel a bit dated but it kinda protects itself from that with its own ridiculousness.

screenshot-2018-2-14pqpq1c.png

Dahym! Agents of Mayhem was an even bigger flop than I had dared imagine! :o No wonder you got it for so cheap @Hero-of-Time!

Pretty nice to see THQ Nordic being so frank about why they feel these games failed.  And it kind of puts into perspective the debt that Koch Media must have had to deal with.  €87 million from just two underperforming games is not chump change! (never mind the rest of their struggles).

Also, seeing Shenmue 3 on a THQ presentation slide is pretty surreal...

screenshot-2018-2-14p84pte.png

Wonder if THQ Nordic might push for a Switch version of Shenmue 3... (though I suppose that if Sony did have a funding deal in place, as is rumoured, that might prevent it from happening regardless...)

Edited by Dcubed