NEurope
Hero-of-Time

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

You remember the 360 launch different to me, shit was damn hard to find after launch. I got mine at launch but my dad had to wait for over a month to get his and that was luck.

Oh yeah, the Pro model was hard to find at launch for sure. It was the Core model (AKA the "Tard pack") that was common as muck at launch.

Same thing happened with the Wii U supposedly. Premium was sold out, while the Basic model was still on store shelves.

Oh yeah, the Pro model was hard to find at launch for sure. It was the Core model (AKA the "Tard pack") that was common as muck at launch.

Same thing happened with the Wii U supposedly. Premium was sold out, while the Basic model was still on store shelves.

Man I forgot about the tard pack. It'll be interesting to see what MS do with the 720 later this year.

Man I forgot about the tard pack. It'll be interesting to see what MS do with the 720 later this year.

See now, here's the thing. Do Microsoft or Sony really need to launch this year? Wii U had to launch because the Wii has been dead for 2 years. Whereas sales of PS3 and 360 are doing fine. Nothing Nintendo has done so far has ruffled their feathers I'm sure and that 3rd parties are refusing to port games to the system must be music to their ears. Then there's also the fact that if they wait until 2014 to launch, the gap between the competition and Wii U will make the Wii U obsolete because components will be cheaper and the gap in technology will make triple ports impossible. I'm just saying it's a possibility, it's not definite. But if I were them that's what I'd be thinking.

What with MS providing subscription packages for their consoles late last year, I can see them pursuing this avenue more. Crazy idea, but does anyone think they'll go for a full subscription plan, so that you can't outright buy their console, but instead pay monthly which includes all online, etc.

See now, here's the thing. Do Microsoft or Sony really need to launch this year? Wii U had to launch because the Wii has been dead for 2 years. Whereas sales of PS3 and 360 are doing fine. Nothing Nintendo has done so far has ruffled their feathers I'm sure and that 3rd parties are refusing to port games to the system must be music to their ears. Then there's also the fact that if they wait until 2014 to launch, the gap between the competition and Wii U will make the Wii U obsolete because components will be cheaper and the gap in technology will make triple ports impossible. I'm just saying it's a possibility, it's not definite. But if I were them that's what I'd be thinking.

I can see Microsoft launching simply cos they have such good momentum right now.

At first glance there seems to be no need to rush the launch the PS4 and next Xbox. The first quater of the year for both of these consoles looks fantastic, but after that I think things will get a little barren.

I'm hoping at least one of them do launch this year, mainly the next Xbox, as I want to see what Rare have been working on.

The 360 and PS3 themselves are in heavy decline and they'll both want to get a headstart on one another. Regardless of what Nintendo have done, they'll both feel the need to get their consoles out soonish.

The looming rise of smartphones and tablets will likely be nudging them in that direction too.

What with MS providing subscription packages for their consoles late last year, I can see them pursuing this avenue more. Crazy idea, but does anyone think they'll go for a full subscription plan, so that you can't outright buy their console, but instead pay monthly which includes all online, etc.

I absolutely fully expect this. That way they can guarantee themselves a constant revenue stream, "cheat" to get the console price down and remove the split in their userbase between paying and non paying XBL subscribers. It's their dream scenario!

They've got a huge audience who are hopelessly addicted to their XBL accounts and their gamerscore. You can bet your left nut that they'll milk them for all they're worth!

Edited by Dcubed

Still no Wii U's in my local (mid-sized) Tesco... And I want to see how their game prices are... :(

Still no Wii U's in my local (mid-sized) Tesco... And I want to see how their game prices are... :(

If they're anything like our mid-sized Tesco the games will be £45+ =/

They don't seem to stock the console itself and the whole game section is a shambles.

If they're anything like our mid-sized Tesco the games will be £45+ =/

They don't seem to stock the console itself and the whole game section is a shambles.

My local asda has nothing at all. It's mental that a new console is not in supermarkets. Even so it will be a mess when they do as they still chuck 3ds/ds together and will do the same with wii / wii u

I actually suspect Microsoft and Sony have been waiting for 4K televisions to hit the market. They're expensive, but so were 1080p TVs when the Xbox 360 launched. Games probably won't be able to run in 4K, but nor could the Xbox 360/PS3 run much at 1080p. It'll probably be an option for things like internet browsing and 2D games.

I actually suspect Microsoft and Sony have been waiting for 4K televisions to hit the market. They're expensive, but so were 1080p TVs when the Xbox 360 launched. Games probably won't be able to run in 4K, but nor could the Xbox 360/PS3 run much at 1080p. It'll probably be an option for things like internet browsing and 2D games.

They should be able to get games running in 4k - it's just a matter of image quality and how much stuff is going on. Sony have been showing off GT5 running at 4k for a few years now and that's being powered by 4 PS3 each drawing one quarter of the screen.

If the PS4 is less than 4 times as powerful as the PS3, it does beg the question of why bother releasing it if it offers so little in way of technological advancement... unless it's just that much cheaper to produce.

But given people won't have TV's in their house big enough to get the benefit from 4K anyway, it will be rare if you see it outside the odd show piece so they can advertise it as being 4K capable if they want to. They could go 4K but you most likely won't see anything more impressive than todays games other than the fact they run at a higher resolution... which would at least eliminate the need for AA so that's one plus in it's favour.

I don't think for second MS and Sony are holding out for 4K TVs to hit the market as the up take will be slower than 3D TVs were at the prices being speculated. They are just waiting for their own components to yield higher production success (MS apparently having a bit of issue with this) and for bits to come down in price (such as the DDR4 that Sony allegedly want) before either can look a full scale production.

Edited by Captain Falcon

To be fair, that's not native 4K (each PS3 only renders GT5 at 1280 x 1080), so you'd still need more than 4x PS3s to pull it off at a real native 4K resolution.

I don't expect any games to actually support 4K resolution (unless it's a 2D game, or a game with PS2 level visuals). Not only is it technically unfeasible, but also not financially sound as practically nobody will have a 4K set.

In fact, I suspect that a large chunk (perhaps even the majority) of PS4 titles will actually be running in sub 1080p resolution.

That being said, watch Sony tout their hardware as a 4K native monolith :laughing:

Wii U software sales are "struggling a bit" in the US, according to Cowen & Company analyst Doug Creutz.

Reacting to last night's release of NPD sales data for the US market in December, Cowen said in a research note: "Software sales for the Wii U remained well behind launch levels for the original Wii and GameCube in December.

"Totals for the November-December period were -43% lower than software sales for the Wii and -50% lower than those for the GameCube."

The relatively low Wii U software sales appear to have been masked somewhat by news of the revenue generated by the platform since launch.

North American Wii U unit sales during the console's first full month failed to match those set by the Wii in December 2006, though the new system has generated more revenue in the same time frame.

Taking Wii U's relatively low software sales into account, it appears that the system's higher launch price ($300 for Basic model/$350 for Premium, compared to Wii's $250) was the main reason the new console's launch revenue exceeding its predecessor.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...ecube-and-wii/

Obviously old expensive third party ports were never going to do very well. I hope 3rd party publishers are taking this into account and not already thinking 3rd party games wont sell. Still 43 and 50% less than the wii and gamecube sounds high.

I am surprised nintendo were hoping for a 4:1 attachment rate with this launch lineup and there being a lack of releases until march.

‘FIFA 13’ (-47%) scores another No1 in 2013 as the EA title takes top spot for the 6th time since its release in week 39 2012.

Ubisoft’s ‘Far Cry 3’ (-36%) remains at No2 ahead of Activision Blizzard’s ‘Call of Duty: Black Ops II’ (-41%) at No3. ‘Hitman Absolution’ (-54%) holds its position at No4 ahead of EA’s second Top 5 title ‘Need for Speed Most Wanted’ (-54%) at No5. Ubisoft also have a second title in the Top 10 with ‘Just Dance 4’ (-52%) climbing a place to No6, knocking Microsoft’s ‘Halo 4’ (-60%) down to No7.

‘Football Manager 2013’ (-32%) climbs up the chart and back into the Top 10 at No8 ahead of ‘The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim’ (-42%) which is also up a spot to No9. It means Warner Interactive’s ‘Lego The Lord of the Rings’ (-48%) drops a place to No10.

Sega’s new beat em up ‘Anarchy Reigns’, developed by PlatinumGames, is this week’s sole new entry at No16.

TOP 40 ENTERTAINMENT SOFTWARE - INDIVIDUAL FORMATS (UNITS), WEEK ENDING 12 January 2013

2 1 FAR CRY 3 XB360 UBISOFT UBISOFT

1 2 FIFA 13 XB360 EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS

5 3 CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS II XB360 ACTIVISION ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

4 4 FIFA 13 PS3 EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS

6 5 FAR CRY 3 PS3 UBISOFT UBISOFT

3 6 HALO 4 XB360 MICROSOFT MICROSOFT

9 7 CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS II PS3 ACTIVISION ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

7 8 JUST DANCE 4 WII UBISOFT UBISOFT

14 9 FOOTBALL MANAGER 2013 PC SEGA SEGA

8 10 HITMAN ABSOLUTION XB360 SQUARE ENIX SQUARE ENIX EUROPE

15 11 THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM XB360 BETHESDA SOFTWORKS BETHESDA SOFTWORKS

10 12 FORZA HORIZON XB360 MICROSOFT MICROSOFT

12 13 HITMAN ABSOLUTION PS3 SQUARE ENIX SQUARE ENIX EUROPE

11 14 NEED FOR SPEED MOST WANTED XB360 EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS

13 15 NEED FOR SPEED MOST WANTED PS3 EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS

16 16 FORZA MOTORSPORT 4 XB360 MICROSOFT MICROSOFT

18 17 WWE '13 XB360 THQ THQ

17 18 ASSASSIN'S CREED III XB360 UBISOFT UBISOFT

19 19 DISHONORED XB360 BETHESDA SOFTWORKS BETHESDA SOFTWORKS

- 20 ANARCHY REIGNS XB360 SEGA SEGA

20 21 MARIO KART 7 3DS NINTENDO NINTENDO

21 22 SONIC & ALL STARS RACING TRANSFORMED XB360 SEGA SEGA

22 23 NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. 2 3DS NINTENDO NINTENDO

23 24 LEGO THE LORD OF THE RINGS XB360 WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE

24 25 MEDAL OF HONOR: WARFIGHTER XB360 EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS

26 26 SUPER MARIO 3D LAND 3DS NINTENDO NINTENDO

25 27 ASSASSIN'S CREED III PS3 UBISOFT UBISOFT

32 28 GRAN TURISMO 5 ACADEMY EDITION PS3 SONY COMPUTER ENT. SONY COMPUTER ENT.

30 29 WWE '13 PS3 THQ THQ

- 30 ZUMBA FITNESS 2 WII 505 GAMES 505 GAMES

27 31 BORDERLANDS 2 XB360 2K GAMES TAKE 2

29 32 RESIDENT EVIL 6 XB360 CAPCOM CAPCOM

34 33 DEAD ISLAND GOTY EDITION XB360 DEEP SILVER KOCH MEDIA

- 34 ANARCHY REIGNS PS3 SEGA SEGA

38 35 POKEMON WHITE VERSION 2 DS NINTENDO NINTENDO

35 36 RESIDENT EVIL 6 PS3 CAPCOM CAPCOM

- 37 DOOM 3: BFG EDITION XB360 BETHESDA SOFTWORKS BETHESDA SOFTWORKS

31 38 MARIO & SONIC LONDON 2012 OLYMPIC GAMES WII SEGA SEGA

37 39 MEDAL OF HONOR: WARFIGHTER PS3 EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS

- 40 SKYLANDERS GIANTS WII SKYLANDERS ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

Edited by liger05

I hope game developers will reach for 60fps rather than going for prettier still images, but I do not expect them to.

That being said, watch Sony tout their hardware as a 4K native monolith :laughing:

And while they're on it, they'll say it will have two-screen support! Wait, they have already said that once, seven years ago...

Edited by are1981

Taking Wii U's relatively low software sales into account, it appears that the system's higher launch price ($300 for Basic model/$350 for Premium, compared to Wii's $250) was the main reason the new console's launch revenue exceeding its predecessor.

They don't say? Wow...who'd have thought -_-

Anarchy Reigns did better than I had expected. Was predicting that it wouldn't chart at all :)

Otherwise, same old same old.

Anarchy Reigns did better than I had expected. Was predicting that it wouldn't chart at all :)

Otherwise, same old same old.

Indeed. Still tempted to pick it up, especially as it's a budget release.

They don't say? Wow...who'd have thought -_-

Well considering Nintendo were trying to spin it as some sort of amazing accomplishment i'm not surprised many sites are having to state the obvious.

Indeed. Still tempted to pick it up, especially as it's a budget release.

Well considering Nintendo were trying to spin it as some sort of amazing accomplishment i'm not surprised many sites are having to state the obvious.

It is an accomplishment.

It is an accomplishment.

Given the lack of software and shoddy online setup for gaming you're too right it is. :D

If anything, I'm surprised the Wii U has done this well, with barely any exclusives, the high price and a piss poor advertising campaign. Nintendo need a medal.

Given the lack of software and shoddy online setup for gaming you're too right it is. :D

Online is fine (seriously, the issues outside of voice chat and messaging are identical on Xbox Live), and lack of software is relative. There's a steady stream. But still, save it for another thread :p

"Totals for the November-December period were -43% lower than software sales for the Wii and -50% lower than those for the GameCube."

I don't want the Wii U to fail (and I'm sure it won't) but I hope this blows apart the myth that "The GameCube Approach" is a terrible one.