NEurope
Retro_Link

Diddy Kong Racing Wii U (Wanted)

Diddy-Kong-Racing-Wii-U.jpg

Remember those rumours that were flying around about Nintendo trying to get some of the RARE properties? Getting this and handing it to Retro would do nicely. :D
The Wii U would become the new N64!!!! :santa:

Diddy Kong Racing 2 needs to happen!

I wasn't a fan of the look of Donkey Kong Racing though, I didn't think the game should have been filled with DK characters. Like Starfox Adventures it just seemed like Nintendo overloading their license into a game. We don't need everything DK'd (characters, jungle levels, mine carts, rideable animals etc...)

Diddy Kong Racings charm was in it's new cast and world. :D #TipTup

Edited by Retro_Link

Crazy coincidence, I was listening to the DKR soundtrack at work this morning. :D

I would love a sequel to the original, easily my favourite racer on the N64 and soooo much better than Mario Kart 64. The adventure mode was sublime and the game was actually challenging.

The rumours that were circulating about the sequel made it sound like a Nintendo All Star racing game. They even had KK Slider down as a racer!

+1 for Tiptup!

Yeah the original is one of the best ever games in every way! Music, level design, characters, gameplay, weapons etc...

The Single player was amazing, and it was such fun in Multiplayer how you could race as different vehicles. The only thing that let the game down was the Arena battles (but the N64 had Block Fort for that!)

Who of the original cast would have to be left out then? Just Banjo and Conker (unless Nintendo could get those too), or everyone bar Diddy Kong... and Krunch maybe?

So long as they kept it animal based, and not turn it into a Smash Bros of Karting (that can be it's own series).

And overall the Car/Hovercraft/Plane mechanic! :D

The stackable weapons on top of this way you drove the levels added strategy that I don't think is in any other racer.

If the DS version is anything to go by then only Conker and Banjo need to be left out. All of the other characters should make a return if a sequel was made. I was also fond if Timbur as well.

I would like the boss races to remain intact. Those things were crazy hard and really pushed you to drive perfectly.

I absolutely hated the boss battles. I didn't beat Wizpig until like 2005 (you're supposed to make him kick you in front of him? How was I supposed to figure that out?).

Timber was awesome! :D

Yeah the Boss battles were also brilliant and have to stay! The Octopus was rock hard!

I just remembered this Rare connection...

TrickyRacing.pngnormal_tricky2.jpg

The dragon was brilliant too! :D

Diddy Kong Racing has so much potential as a successful series, to be the definitive racer, it's strange to think there's only really been one game! Rare and Nintendo really need to sort something out/ditch Microsoft and reunite!

I absolutely hated the boss battles. I didn't beat Wizpig until like 2005 (you're supposed to make him kick you in front of him? How was I supposed to figure that out?).
I don't think I ever finally beat Wizpig in Space. Can't remember for what reason exactly, but I do remember that large circular laser room. Edited by Retro_Link
Automerged Doublepost

A classic game. Although their are moments where Sonic Transformed feels very similar, it's not a patch on DKR.

Also loved the Ice Temple battle map as well as the hovercraft courses where the wood would spin you around in the lake. The plane courses were also great. And THAT OST...

Happy memories.

A classic game. Although their are moments where Sonic Transformed feels very similar, it's not a patch on DKR.

Also loved the Ice Temple battle map as well as the hovercraft courses where the wood would spin you around in the lake. The plane courses were also great. And THAT OST...

Happy memories.

I was gonna mention the ice battle level, I spent SO many hours on that. It's easily as good as block fort

Yeah I think that was the go-to multiplayer arena.

The flying one where you had to deliver eggs was actually pretty clever, but I seem to remember the eggs being really difficult to pick up and drop (and often you'd just run into the wall behind the nest! :p). I actually think if they did a new DKR that concept/mode could be done really well and a lot of fun.

What were the two other multiplayer arena modes?

There was a hovercraft shooting one wasn't there?... actually I think that might have been my favourite.

Any remember street racer? The first 4 player splitscreen game (all split horizontally). Had a great multiplayer and remember loving that game. Had a Royal Rumble style multiplayer where you had to knock everyone off the track, last man standing!

Also had a weird football mutiplayer that I also loved.

Bet the whole thing is atrocious now.

Yeah I think that was the go-to multiplayer arena.

The flying one where you had to deliver eggs was actually pretty clever, but I seem to remember the eggs being really difficult to pick up and drop (and often you'd just run into the wall behind the nest! :p). I actually think if they did a new DKR that concept/mode could be done really well and a lot of fun.

There was a hovercraft shooting one wasn't there?... actually I think that might have been my favourite.

Oh my GOD! How could I forget the egg game!? That used to be so fun, but yeah, picking up eggs was such a pain!

The hovercraft one was a typical shooting game but was amazing fun! The last one was the CASTLE LEVEL where you had to collect the most coins.

Just thinking of all those great times on multiplayer brings a tear to my eye.

That MUSIC! I also like how Diddy Kong sounds like Charmander "CHAAAARRR!!"

One of the best games available for the N64, would love to see a sequel in the same vain.

Any remember street racer? The first 4 player splitscreen game (all split horizontally). Had a great multiplayer and remember loving that game. Had a Royal Rumble style multiplayer where you had to knock everyone off the track, last man standing!

Also had a weird football mutiplayer that I also loved.

Bet the whole thing is atrocious now.

I used to rent this pretty much every week from my local Blockbuster Video back in the day, i dont know how it would stand up now but at the time i really enjoyed it.

I loved this game, but actually preferred the Rare follow up. The one based on the Disney licence "Mickey's Speedway USA". I found the Karts too loose in Diddy Kong, whilst the karts in the Mickey game felt, at least in the fastest speeds, like a proper racing game. It had such a good feeling of tighter control, but unfortunately no adventure mode.

mickey%20speedway%20box--article_image.jpg

mickey%20speedway%20ring--article_image.jpg

I definitely remember Icicle Pyramid as it was my joint favourite with Darkwater Beach.

mqdefault.jpg

I think the last multiplayer battle mode took place in a Castle?

EDIT: It's Smokey Castle

NTk0NDQ4NDUz_o_lets-play-diddy-kong-racing-part-8---smokeys-castle.jpg

But damn, this game.

It also had an amazing soundtrack too, I can never forget the Darkmoon Caverns music, one of my favourites!

Broadcast Yourself
Audio
Edited by -Dem0-

David Wise has set up his own site and is getting back into videogame music I believe. It'd be the icing on the cake if they brought him back for this [the thread's practically convinced me it's happening! :laughing:].

@\-Dem0\- Oh man, Darkmoon Caverns! It's the Stickerbrush Symphony of Diddy Kong Racing!

DKR Nostalgia time...

Here's another one of my fav's!

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Okay one more

Broadcast Yourself
Audio
Edited by -Dem0-

All that music! The memories!

Rare were on top form during the N64 era, actually besting Nintendo's games in places.

The fact that they are a shadow of their former selves is still galling.

Nintendo have certainly missed them too. A reduction in quality unique titles and other genres such as FPS games (to call their own) which has meant no AAA filler in between their own releases.

Why did the Stamper brothers call it a day? Was Rare imploding? How could such a stunning company's wheels start to fall off from StarFox Adventures and beyond?

They were the funniest, bravest and most talented developers outside of Nintendo towers, still a loss all these years later and they seem completely out of sync with what the Microsoft market is about.

I love the fact that Frosty Village and Walrus Cove reference 'Winter Wonderland' I think there might be a few more nods to well-known songs in there too.

Does anyone else think Star City is like an up-tempo version of the chorus from:

Another one I've always had a soft spot for:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

:love:

It was such a great game with great music... is it too much to ask for an online version?

The DS game had online, 6 players if I remember correctly! It's not often your find people to race with though :p

It is a shame the DS title wasn't up to scratch :( And as far as Rare is concerned, I still really like them. Viva piñata is fantastic and whilst Nuts and Bolts went in a different direction it was still a great game and boasted their typically great writing and music!

And as far as Rare is concerned, I still really like them. Viva piñata is fantastic and whilst Nuts and Bolts went in a different direction it was still a great game and boasted their typically great writing and music!

Agreed. Kameo, Viva Pinata, Nuts & Bolts and even Kinect Sports are all fantastic games. There is still a spark there, despite the loss of talent.

I picked up a couple of N64s last week ( 2 for £20 off my nephew :) ) and headed to ebay to look for some titles. I went straight for this game, I mean after talking about in here it would have been rude not to!

photo-9_zpsca214629.jpg

photo4-1_zps6f1ad830.jpg

photo1_zps4e642540.jpg

Yes, Tiptup, you are number 1! :D Timber looks to be enjoying himself.

The game doesn't look that bad at all on a HDTV. I've heard horror stories about people trying to get old consoles working on a HDTV, but with this I just plugged my Cube cable into the TV and N64 and away I went. It's a little blurry but it's much better than I expected.

I've been making some good progress so far, with me doing the Dino World completely and then the Snow World soon after, have yet to do the coin challenge on that one though.

I was doing great and everything was hunky dorey until I came to this guy!

photo3-1_zps652ecd34.jpg

Even as a 30 year old bloke he still gave me a lot of trouble! :weep:

It took about 30 mins of stopping and restarting the races but I finally beat him! It doesn't help that the race is in the sea using the hovercraft. I could never handle that thing properly.

photo2-2_zps912e7d57.jpg

I love the fact that in this game you are rewarded for knowing the tracks and driving well. There isn't a lot of luck involved in winning, unlike Mario Kart. If you win you do so because you are generally good at the game and if there is rubber banding AI in the game it's not very noticeable.

EDIT: Those pics looking alright? On my phone they are upside down, yet on a PC they look fine. Weird. :)

Edited by Hero-of-Time