NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
darkjak

Perfect Dark Wii U (Wanted)

Someone asked for threads discussing what we want to be playing for the Wii U, rather than further rants and sales numbers.

Bottom line is that when I play shooters, there are only three games I keep coming back to. Goldeneye, Hitman 2 and Perfect Dark!

I know it's quite unlikely that it'll happen (yet not impossible), but I'd show Nintendo infinite affection if they'd snag the IP up (MS aren't using it and loads of people claimed to the last minute before tha announcement that MS would NEVER let EA release Mass Effect 1 for the PS3 or Wii U, so it's hardly IMPOSSIBLE) and hand it over to Retro Studios.

Perfect_Dark.png

PD on XBLA is as a matter of fact the FPS that impresses me more than any other when it comes to gameplay mechanics.

The lovely, open level design, the enemy soldiers having different faces and the fact that the AI is so good. I mean, when I use the psychosis gun, tha AI characters can follow me all the way through the level without catching on to something. The sheer quantity of multiplayer levels and modes, the cool weapons.

I just can't stop fantasising of how PD could turn out for the Wii U, if they'd just realise the ambitions that the devs had with the original. Better animations, even smarter AI, graphics which make full use of the Wii U, stellar online multiplayer, enemies that don't fade away after they die. Throw in iron sights (but not regenerating health) and we'll have an FPS for the 21st century.

Retro Studios seem like the perfect developer to be given the Perfect Dark license.

Nintendo need an exclusive FPS in their arsenal, and Retro Studios have all their experience with First Person control/perspectives, Alien character models, Alien/Futuristic Architecture, great storytelling, other worlds etc... it almost seems like too perfect a fit coming off the back of Metroid!

You can almost imagine Retro's own take on the final level in Perfect Dark given the Chozo Ruins.

No doubt it would instantly become one of the greatest shooters ever made, and probably redefine the standard for shooters! :D

Edited by Retro_Link

Retro Studios seem like the perfect developer to be given the Perfect Dark license.

Nintendo need an exclusive FPS in their arsenal, and Retro Studios have all their experience with First Person control/perspectives, Alien character models, Alien/Futuristic Architecture, great storytelling, other worlds etc... it almost seems like too perfect a fit coming off the back of Metroid!

You can almost imagine Retro's own take on the final level in Perfect Dark given the Chozo Ruins.

No doubt it would instantly become one of the greatest shooters ever made, and probably redefine the standard for shooters! :D

You don't need the Perfect Dark license to do any of that though, Retro could just turn their hands to a new awesome FPS, if they're not going to give us Prime 4. Which on an unrelated note, if you told me I could only have one or the other... I'd probably go for Prime 4.

Remember those rumours that were flying around about Nintendo trying to get some of the RARE properties? Getting this and handing it to Retro would do nicely. :D

You don't need the Perfect Dark license to do any of that though, Retro could just turn their hands to a new awesome FPS, if they're not going to give us Prime 4. Which on an unrelated note, if you told me I could only have one or the other... I'd probably go for Prime 4.
That's true, Nintendo need new IP just as badly as they need a FPS! So grouping both together would be a good move.

Though the Perfect Dark name is established (albeit tainted maybe, but I think everyone just ignores the 360 version ever happened), but then Nintendo would have no problem launching a new FPS IP, especially one made by Retro.

I think given the choice I'd prefer to see Prime 4 as well.

I'm not a huge fan of FPS's, but then I did buy Perfect Dark, and no doubt any game made by Retro Studios, new IP or otherwise. But Adventure games like Prime are more my thing!

Remember those rumours that were flying around about Nintendo trying to get some of the RARE properties? Getting this and handing it to Retro would do nicely. :D
The Wii U would become the new N64!!!! :santa:

Diddy Kong Racing 2 needs to happen!

I wasn't a fan of the look of Donkey Kong Racing though, I didn't think the game should have been filled with DK characters. Like Starfox Adventures it just seemed like Nintendo overloading their license into a game. We don't need everything DK'd (characters, jungle levels, mine carts, rideable animals etc...)

Diddy Kong Racings charm was in it's new cast and world. :D

Edited by Retro_Link
Automerged Doublepost

Why would you play Hitman 2 as a shooter?

Sometimes you just feel the need to play the game in a way that it wasn't meant. Like when I would just explore the game world in Top Gear Rally. Or activate invincibility, give enemies 1000% health and annoy the hell out of them with shotguns in Goldeneye.

Regarding the choice between Perfect Dark 2 and Metroid Prime 4, I probably would pick PD2. Despite not being an open world adventure, PD still gave you the chance to explore the worlds and complete your missions in different ways. Mix in even more openness, like in Hitman 2, and we'll have the best FPS campaign ever. Not to mention that the multiplayer in PD was so much more fun than what was available in MP2. In general, an FPS where you can lock on to enemies isn't very suitable for multiplayer. A Zelda multiplayer where you could use your shield and so on would however be amazing!

Anyone know why exactly the sequel ended up like it did/so bad?

Well, firstly the game switched formats. First from GC to Xbox to Xbox 360. Then the whole original team walked out when Rare were bought out. Someone decided to axe the story (which according to an interview I read was very ambitious and was supposed to be told over two games). Someone else decided to throw away the excellent graphical assets that were in the works:

joanna1.jpg

Because they though it would be better to use some hideous Cel-shading because that was all the rage at the time:

perfect_screen005.jpg

Then they realised their error and made a really stupid compromise:

perfect-dark-zero-2.jpg

And finally, the game was developed by about 20 people (compared to CoD which has ten times that much manpower).

So that's my take: loss of talent, under funding, format swaps and a team which redid everything every few minutes instead of making a plan and sticking with it.

Anyone know why exactly the sequel ended up like it did/so bad?

* Tried too hard to make it more like James Bond :indeed: just look at the intro

* Changed the nationality of Joanna Dark (she looks more American than British)

* A lot of the story barely ties in with the original

* Locations were less focused and more nonsensical

* Multiplayer shifted focus, suffering in some ways but benefiting in others

Those are the main reasons I can think of and the fact that it just wasn't anywhere near the quality of the original though I still gained a fair bit of fun from it. :)

Oh yes!

Bring in a much smarter AI, even opener levels, keep Jo's looks from the original promo posters, and I'll buy it sight unseen!

Perfect+Dark+Joanna.jpg

And if you preorder, you get a tin case and a statue that I can have on my office desk next to Tali and Garrus (and someday Varia Suit Samus).

Edited by Hogge

I'd like to see a sequel regardless of platform but it'll never happen on Wii U. Microsoft wont just give away an IP and Nintendo would probably not purchase the IP back.

You have to wonder if Rare are working on a sequel for the 720 or some other dev. Maybe e3.

Say what you want about PD0 but at the time the multiplayer was damn good fun. 360 launch title with 32 player online, bots, crapload of gametypes and maps that change size depending on how many players in a game. Slow as fuck now though.

If you have a 360 and you havent bought it yet get the PD remake. Damn good and only 800 points.

You have to wonder if Rare are working on a sequel for the 720 or some other dev. Maybe e3.
Sad thing is I think Microsoft have already said they've got Rare working on their next-gen Kinect titles. Basically all Rare are now, and why their portfolio of franchises needs need saving by someone, because Microsoft aren't gonna use them!

* Tried too hard to make it more like James Bond :indeed: just look at the intro

* Changed the nationality of Joanna Dark (she looks more American than British)

* A lot of the story barely ties in with the original

* Locations were less focused and more nonsensical

* Multiplayer shifted focus, suffering in some ways but benefiting in others

Those are the main reasons I can think of and the fact that it just wasn't anywhere near the quality of the original though I still gained a fair bit of fun from it. :)

* The AI was all over the place. While in some cases they were extremely dumb, in other cases they could easily destroy you from miles away with a pistol.

Also, Kameo had some of the same development problems but that was pretty great.

Say what you want about PD0 but at the time the multiplayer was damn good fun. 360 launch title with 32 player online, bots, crapload of gametypes and maps that change size depending on how many players in a game. Slow as fuck now though.

If you have a 360 and you havent bought it yet get the PD remake. Damn good and only 800 points.

The bot battles were hilarious. Me and a few of my mates had an all night session just playing bot battles when it first came out. So much.

SUICIDE!

Classic! :D

I was never a big fan of the PD games but seeing as they were made by RARE they were bought and played. Man, I miss the N64 era RARE. :(

Rare dont make games so much anymore, they seem to be totally focused on the Xbox Live avatars (they program everything and create the assets for new items/clothing) and games like Joyride. They had their studio pretty much cleaned out last year leaving no one of any significance there, all the people that made the Banjo Kazooies nuts and bolts and the Kameo and Perfect dark games are long gone.

As for the IP, i doubt Microsoft are going to sell it to Nintendo, they just announced a new Killer Instinct title a few months ago so if anything id expect to see more X Box Live arcade releases of Rares other titles. Id rather see Retro make something new, a spiritual sequel to PD or failing that, a WiiU follow up to the DS game Metroid Prime Hunters.

Sad thing is I think Microsoft have already said they've got Rare working on their next-gen Kinect titles. Basically all Rare are now, and why their portfolio of franchises needs need saving by someone, because Microsoft aren't gonna use them!

Yes, agreed.

I however agree that it's not impossible that Microsoft will sell the IP. I have also heard that Microsoft had exclusive distribution rights for the original ME. My guess is that they must've sold it to EA.

I have also heard that Microsoft had exclusive distribution rights for the original ME. My guess is that they must've sold it to EA.

EA published the original Mass Effect on PC six months after Microsoft published the 360 version - Microsoft never had any kind of exclusive distribution (it's similar to how Nintendo have published a couple of 3rd party games).

The theory came about when EA only put ME2 on PS3, although I think the more likely reason is that EA were concerned that the less user-friendly gameplay of the first game would put some people off the second game (as much as I love the first ME, I have to admit that it did feel "dated" rather quickly).

Also, shin_kagato's statements are false. While Rare did help develop the Avatar and Kinect initially, we have no idea which part of Microsoft is making the Avatar items - all the game-related ones are made by the developers of the games.

Also Joy Ride was made by a company called BigPark, who co-developed Kinect Sports: Season 2.

Since finishing Kinect Sports in 2010, other than helping BigPark with the sequel, we have no idea what Rare have been up to. Not only that, but Rare now have a second studio in Birmingham.

There was a time where I would have walked over fire and dived into pools of baked beans and marmite to get a new Perfect Dark on a Nintendo console.

Now, I feel like the moment has passed. RARE isn't the same. The franchise isn't the same after the 360 "prequel". Also, I'm not the same. Since Perfect Dark, Retro have come and have stolen my heart since then. The Prime Trilogy is a perfect indication of their quality.

I'd rather Retro were given the licence to create their own shooter. Perfect Dark has had its day as far as I am concerned.

Perfect Dark Zero [Cancelled] Gamecube Era Art Gallery

In its early days during the Rare-Nintendo era, Perfect Dark Zero had a very different art style that was more cartoony and at one stage, heavily influenced by Japanese manga. We take a flick through a build from the Gamecube / early Xbox era of PDZ and its art gallery feature. You can definitely see Nintendo's influence. We miss you, Rare!

Perfect timing with all our talk of Rare and the forthcoming Yooka-Laylee.

Edited by Wii

There was a time where I would have walked over fire and dived into pools of baked beans and marmite to get a new Perfect Dark on a Nintendo console.

Now, I feel like the moment has passed. RARE isn't the same. The franchise isn't the same after the 360 "prequel". Also, I'm not the same. Since Perfect Dark, Retro have come and have stolen my heart since then. The Prime Trilogy is a perfect indication of their quality.

I'd rather Retro were given the licence to create their own shooter. Perfect Dark has had its day as far as I am concerned.

Same. Perfect Dark wasn't good because of the generic world, play and character. Metroid prime 4 for me, or a new IP, no interest whatsoever in a perfect dark!

I think a "spiritual successor" would be superb. There's no real need to milk a dead franchise, let's see new characters inspired by Perfect Dark.

Just realised this thread is from over 2 years ago :) Thought it was new.

Man, I want me some retro stuff too. :(

Anyone remember Hybrid Heaven? Good old Japanese psycho stuff.

I think a "spiritual successor" would be superb. There's no real need to milk a dead franchise, let's see new characters inspired by Perfect Dark.

If done well, that could be great. I wonder if anyone at Playtonic would like to make an FPS or if they only want to make platformers.

That company is a wet dream for anyone who enjoyed the N64 era :heart:

Sign in to follow this