NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Pokemon X & Y

By change up, I don't mean in a good way. By adding a fifth move, it would just destroy everything. Say you have a Scolipede. Instead of using it for setup or as an attacker, you have enough moves to do both and destroy. By not limiting the moves, you can let people run with everything. Pokémon will no longer have gaps people can take advantage of and so forth.

As for the Mega Evolution style thing, having something like that which doesn't have a hindrance would be horrifically broken. That's why Mega Evolution exists and takes up the item slot. It makes it so you have to strategically think if it is actually worth it. Just having anything similar and having it as a slot every Pokémon has would be horrific and pointless.

As for HMs, the idea is for them to be moves with outside effects that you use to progress. Having an HM slot would screw with balance due to point 1 and screw with the entire concept

I would say you have a point with your first and second points, but both of those things would be remedied by having a move you could flip once, for one Pokemon in each battle like a mega evolution. Mega Evolution needed two hindrances because it instantly added new abilities/typings/100+ base stats at the touch of a button.

Having one move flip would not require that much balancing outside of not being able to flip back throughout the rest of the battle, having only one Pokemon that can do the flip AND that it can not be used as a means of PP recovery by making sure the flippable slot move's remaining PP translates into the remaining PP of the move that will be flipped in.

As for your third point, you're comparing apples and oranges here. Your first point works because that's also how the battle system works in competitive situations. The last point I was making would only really work in the story of the game, as the HM slot wouldn't even factor in to the battle system.

Problem with the games; they aren't made for ME. They're made for the children/crap player (single player and it's laughable difficulty) and made for the elite player (into online battling/stat raising etc.). There's no middle ground. I'm just a guy who wants a single player that offers a above normal, maybe slightly hard challenge and long game. But the game isn't made for me. I keep expecting them to realise it's the same bloody Pokemon fans they already have and they all know how to play the game by now so "it's okay to raise the difficulty", but nope.

Problem with the games; they aren't made for ME. They're made for the children/crap player (single player and it's laughable difficulty) and made for the elite player (into online battling/stat raising etc.). There's no middle ground. I'm just a guy who wants a single player that offers a above normal, maybe slightly hard challenge and long game. But the game isn't made for me. I keep expecting them to realise it's the same bloody Pokemon fans they already have and they all know how to play the game by now so "it's okay to raise the difficulty", but nope.

I wholeheartedly disagree. I know many people who aren't elite competitive players who play and enjoy it, despite not being kids

Like you, the problem for me is that I don't care for the competitive side of things, so when I play the game it's all about the single player/story mode. RPG's usually keep you going by the characters and story, as you build a connection with them and what to see how the story plays out.

For me, Pokemon really lacks these qualities and as such once the story ( I use the term very loosely ) is over I have little reason to go back to it.

Again, for me, some things don't change enough between the versions either. Sure, the landscape does and you get some new Pokemon added to the mix but the core gameplay and story largely remain the same.

One of the reasons why I love the FF series because each game gives you new characters, new stories and new battle systems to learn.

HM's are a pointless system to limit progression

they should have items that can function as the useless HM's well Surf is the only useful one really...

You should have machette's to Cut, a freaking flash light to replace flash, a diving suit to replace dive, certain pokemone should autmatically have enough strength to move things and likewise birds of certain sizes should be able to fly

another option is that they shouldn't have 5th slot (for use in battle) they should just be abilities you acquire through the game that can't be used in battle and are only field abilities

or

some moves have secondary field abilites! its down right criminal a pokemon who knows slash can't cut a bush, or a bird who knows aerial ace can't fly....

it really annoys me having a HM slave or sacrificing good moves for the likes of crappy HM moves!

If they sorted the HM system out i'd have little to no gripes with the series

One of the reasons why I love the FF series because each game gives you new characters, new stories and new battle systems to learn.

Very true. I've come to appreciate the diversity in Final Fantasy, even if I don't come to like the latest iterations, since they're still trying new things.

HM's are a pointless system to limit progression

they should have items that can function as the useless HM's well Surf is the only useful one really...

You should have machette's to Cut, a freaking flash light to replace flash, a diving suit to replace dive, certain pokemone should autmatically have enough strength to move things and likewise birds of certain sizes should be able to fly

another option is that they shouldn't have 5th slot (for use in battle) they should just be abilities you acquire through the game that can't be used in battle and are only field abilities

or

some moves have secondary field abilites! its down right criminal a pokemon who knows slash can't cut a bush, or a bird who knows aerial ace can't fly....

it really annoys me having a HM slave or sacrificing good moves for the likes of crappy HM moves!

If they sorted the HM system out i'd have little to no gripes with the series

To be fair, with Black & White, and even moreso in X & Y, they really severely reduced the HM requirements. Even Surf was seldom used.

Don't get me wrong its gotten better and X/Y have been the best pokemon games since Gold/Silver but my god HM's really are useless and i hate to harp on about it, but there are so many joke comics about hm's sillyness, slashing moves should cut, certain flying moves should fly, a solitary bush next to a wooden fence shouldn't stop a person going down a path! all flying pokemon should learn fly, or they need to re-evaluate who can can't....its a mess and needs a shake up, and i think secondary field abilities attached to moves would be the way forward

877F8006-67D4-4F87-A76F-12EB3B154ACB_zps7eghpvdh.jpg

37B876E7-2163-469A-BC85-00DD1B6B3C8C_zpsmolt6bra.jpg

FB28BA31-8F1E-4838-BFF4-5A57F6EE0CEF_zpsvbasixbo.jpg

Don't get me wrong its gotten better and X/Y have been the best pokemon games since Gold/Silver but my god HM's really are useless and i hate to harp on about it, but there are so many joke comics about hm's sillyness, slashing moves should cut, certain flying moves should fly, a solitary bush next to a wooden fence shouldn't stop a person going down a path! all flying pokemon should learn fly, or they need to re-evaluate who can can't....its a mess and needs a shake up, and i think secondary field abilities attached to moves would be the way forward

877F8006-67D4-4F87-A76F-12EB3B154ACB_zps7eghpvdh.jpg

37B876E7-2163-469A-BC85-00DD1B6B3C8C_zpsmolt6bra.jpg

FB28BA31-8F1E-4838-BFF4-5A57F6EE0CEF_zpsvbasixbo.jpg

Saw this earlier and it gave me a chuckle

h7C57D607

I wholeheartedly disagree. I know many people who aren't elite competitive players who play and enjoy it, despite not being kids

That wasn't exactly what I mean, Serebii. I'm neither Elite nor a child/crap player, and of course I enjoy it, otherwise I wouldn't have been here buying every gen since the beginning, even remakes, trading stuff constantly up when possible. It's just that the game is designed around these two extremes. The developers don't seem to realise that the majority of players are players who've been there since the beginning. One of the most requested things is an improved/harder single player on most forums I've visited. They did test it out, in a crap, not very useful, not actually hard kind of way. I mean just offer a harder mode or something. I envision Gym lock-ins, limited items what you get given on the way in to gyms, Leaders with 6 Pokemon and improved AI.

Sometimes at the end of routes you fight your rivals, so why not make mini boss battles at the end of MOST routes? Basically just slightly harder, improved AI battles.

Longer routes, or less "I'm going to magically heal you, even though you've probably only fought 2-3 battles and don't need it". I mean, does ANYONE run out of PP anymore? They may as well just abandon PP for the single player at this point, as it doesn't mean anything anymore.

Pokémon XY was really easy but also the accessibility made me get into competitive gaming. I guess with the xp share they could have had slightly higher level enemies. I enjoyed the challenge in the older games but now I enjoy the quick leveling and super easy EV training more. But yes, the things you mentioned would make it more fun, there were way too many healers in XY when previously you had to go to a Pokémon Center.

Also HM are incredibly stupid outside surf and fly. I hope that age old mechanic can some day be removed.

Edited by Miharin

Have you guys got your Fancy Pattern Vivillon yet? It ends next week.

Have you guys got your Fancy Pattern Vivillon yet? It ends next week.

I know this is going to sound incredibly stupid coming from the guy who mains a Grumpig purely because he thinks it looks cool...

But I don't care for Vivillon. Even if it is pretty.

Figured this deserved a bump, the new Pokemon Anime series is going to be titled Pokemon XY&Z and Zyguarde is becoming the Pokemon version of Cell from Dragonball Z, whilst no game has been revealed this all hints towards a Pokemon Z in the future.

Surprised Serebii hasn't shared this news with us as it's all on his site.

corocoro10151.jpg

corocoro10152.jpg

http://serebii.net/news/2015/12-September-2015.shtml

Let the speculation commence!

So basically, the least surprising surprise since Kyurem got new forms?

Don't like that design for Zygarde, it looks dopey, preferred when it was a snake.

Ash Greninja!? Really!?

Is... is this what the edge of despair looks like? When all ideas have faded and the barrel's bottom is so thoroughly scraped that your gaze pierces right through...

Well... It's SOMETHING that the anime hasn't done before I suppose! :laughing:

Edited by Dcubed

Doberman Zygarde looks really cool. Not sure what to make of the other forms, but they'll definitely grow on me.

...The anime poster is like the definition of hype for me, though!

Ash's mysterious and awesome - possibly Mega? - Greninja, Noivern and Mega Sceptile (bolded because I feel like they're really being overshadowed everywhere, haha), Alain's storyline finally being tied together with the main story... It's all so exciting! Where is Mairin, though...?

Also, I just noticed Xerosic and... uh.. at least one of the female Team Flare scientists (whose names always escape me because they were just so awful) in the reel of screenshots above Perfect Zygarde's head... Really looking forward to seeing how the anime handles them, considering how much better it has done literally everything and everyone else from X/Y than they were in the games.

...I wonder if Looker will show up again, too...

Either way, I'm really looking forward to more info. I've really been craving the hype of Pokémon news recently, especially after the last few underwhelming game announcements. :heh:

Edited by FireMeowth

It made sense that a slug-like Pokemon like Zygarde will transform. I just don't want more of the designs like Hoopla (unbound?).

Why does that Greninja look different?

In any case a Pokemon Z is very welcome - X/Y were a bit barebones in terms of the adventure so looking forward to some B/W2 updates and maybe some New 3DS stuff.

Pokemon.com's description of Ash-Greninja definitely makes it sound like a special kind of Mega Evolution.

Maybe it'll be a variant of Mega Evolution exclusively for each player's starter Pokémon or something? Really mysterious...

Also, the red hexagon on Doberman Zygarde looking like a pendant on its "collar" is genius.

Pokemon.com's description of Ash-Greninja definitely makes it sound like a special kind of Mega Evolution.

Maybe it'll be a variant of Mega Evolution exclusively for each player's starter Pokémon or something? Really mysterious...

That would be really cool, we've had customisable trainers, so being able to add little flairs to your Pokemon would be really neat.

But personally, I've learnt to not get my hopes up when it comes to Game Freak and doing cool, personal stuff lately. ORAS burnt me bad...

Then again, trust Ash Ketchum to make Greninja less cool...

Was hoping Ash-Greninja was an Anime only thing... The fourth generation starters are next up for Mega Evolutions anyway (can't for for those remakes!).