NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Pokemon X & Y

I did those Super Training exercises, well the 6 Lv. 1 ones, but they haven't boosted any stats? It says HP +3 upon completion but my Wartortle didn't change? Anyone know why?

Guessing it gave you 3 HP EV's so it should give you an extra hit point when you level up.

Guessing it gave you 3 HP EV's so it should give you an extra hit point when you level up.

Yup, you only notice the benefit after a level up. Also every 4 EVs equals an increase in 1 of a state, so for example an increase in 12 points during super training will increase a stat by an extra 3 once a level up occurs (or I should say, it will increase the stat by 3 more than it would have increased by had you not super trained it).

Also Ronnie, let's say you invest 100 attack points on your Pokemon, which means that it should increase a certain stat by 25 points. When you level up, you won't see the attack of that pokemon increase by 25 points straight away, but over the course of the game and as you level it up more and more it will recieve all the points.

So, let's say you only invested 100 EV points via super training to the attack value and the rest somewhere else (defense, HP etc). By the time you get that pokemon to level 100, it's attack stat will be 25 more than if you didn't invest any points to that stat. Hope that makes sense.

Also, I've decided to make the game more difficult by switching the battle style to 'set' and not 'shift', meaning the battles in-game become much more similar to battles over wi-fi, as in once you defeat a pokemon, you aren't told what the opponent is going to send out and you aren't asked whether to switch. Man, it's making me sweat!

Also, I've decided to make the game more difficult by switching the battle style to 'set' and not 'shift', meaning the battles in-game become much more similar to battles over wi-fi, as in once you defeat a pokemon, you aren't told what the opponent is going to send out and you aren't asked whether to switch. Man, it's making me sweat!

Oooo, sounds good. I'll do it too!

Just caught a male & female Gible on Route 10.

I ALWAYS used to have it on 'set' as it was tedious having it ask if I wanted to switch when most of the time I wanted to keep to my strongest pokémon! But here on Y I've kept it on shift, and you're right, it's a hell of a lot easier, but my squad is getting trained up a lot more equally thanks to it!

Also, I'm ten hours in and have just got the second gym badge! You guys who have beaten the elite four already must have seriously rushed through the game.

Yup, you only notice the benefit after a level up. Also every 4 EVs equals an increase in 1 of a state, so for example an increase in 12 points during super training will increase a stat by an extra 3 once a level up occurs (or I should say, it will increase the stat by 3 more than it would have increased by had you not super trained it).

Also Ronnie, let's say you invest 100 attack points on your Pokemon, which means that it should increase a certain stat by 25 points. When you level up, you won't see the attack of that pokemon increase by 25 points straight away, but over the course of the game and as you level it up more and more it will recieve all the points.

So, let's say you only invested 100 EV points via super training to the attack value and the rest somewhere else (defense, HP etc). By the time you get that pokemon to level 100, it's attack stat will be 25 more than if you didn't invest any points to that stat. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks very much for explaining, that actually makes complete sense. I guess I was hoping for a more immediate benefit !! and was confusing EV points and stat points.

Another really random question, do you guys try and capture every Pokemon you haven't captured before? Or do you just let them faint. I guess it depends on how much info you want in your Pokedex.

Also, is there any way for it to tell you what type each one you face in battle is or do you have to constantly look in your Pokedex and try and figure out what it's strong/weak against?

(I feel like a bit of an idiot amongst all you experts :hug:)

The whole EV concept bores the fuck out of me.

Anyways, thankfully the Gible and Chespin I got from Japan changed names when they evolved. However I changed Gabite for Tyrunt. Current squad:

Braixen,

Flingouste (A French Clauncher)

Quiladin,

Honedge,

Tyrunt,

Some flying type (currently a Pidgey)

The last three I'm not sure about. Honedge and Tyrunt, although able to take a hit or two are weak as fuck when it comes to attacking.

Is super training the only way to get EV? You can't get it by defeating random Pokemon like before? So if I don't do it my Pokemons are worse off?

Added the Fletchling to my party, initially I didn't want it, but the second evolution looks awesome, hopefully it gets even better. I also wanted that Flour dog or whatever it name was. The white large one. But from what I can see from my Pokedex it doesn't evolve. I usually don't use those, they're not proper Pokemon :p

Also, I'm ten hours in and have just got the second gym badge! You guys who have beaten the elite four already must have seriously rushed through the game.

Not necessarily. There's no difference in beating the game in two days or 20 years if you both spend 30 hours beating it.

Edited by Tales

No they haven't. There's no difference in beating the game in two days or 20 years. Personally I this kind of attitude to be quite pathetic.

I really meant in terms of time taken. I haven't really been taking my time/grinding at all, yet it has taken me ten hours to complete two gyms. To hear of people completing the story in around 20 hours gives the impression they have rushed through just to get through it as quick as possible - it's very quick. Surely there must be loads that people have finished already will have missed along the way?

The likes of Serebii, who will have played it more than any of us, are still discovering things. (And no, I don't doubt the fact that Serebii would have gone through quickly to get the main details of the game for his site)

Anyway, with a game like pokémon, finishing in two days seems against the whole point of the game, to explore, to catch 'em all, to be the very best (like no-one ever was), to trade with others. With other games, I agree that you'll get the same experience no matter how quickly you complete it. But for me, Pokémon is a game to spend lots of time with, over a period of time.

But for me, Pokémon is a game to spend lots of time with, over a period of time.

Exactly. For you.

Me, I don't usually care for the trading or finishing the Pokedex. It's always about the story and once that is done I decide whether or not its worth investing more time in the game. Seeing as I don't care for the competitive aspect of the game either the game is probably done for me now.

I dont know why but i rarely care about the story in pokemon, its more about the overall adventure and exploring ,the story part is just a small part of the game. But each to their own

I dont know why but i rarely care about the story in pokemon, its more about the overall adventure and exploring ,the story part is just a small part of the game. But each to their own

Yeah, I'm probably in the minority. :D

The thing is, I rarely play a lot after defeating the Elite Four - the only time I completed the Pokédex was in Blue and Yellow. But surely you'll get more from the game by not rushing from A to B, by exploring, by finding all the world has to offer? I guess you could use travel as an analogy - a plane will get you there quicker, but you will experience/see a lot more on a road trip.

Pokémon's story is always basically the same - young kid gets pokémon, goes to beat 8 gym leaders and fights an evil team along the way. The amount of depth to the world is incredible. I just find it astounding how someone can complete the game and be done with it in just over double the time I have spent reaching the second gym and be done with it - the surface must barely have been scraped! Did you literally go from gym to gym with no sidetracking? Did you use the Super Training/Amie/any of the new features at all?

Each to their own I guess, but there's so much more to doooooooo! :D

I heard the same criticisms being raised when I finished Pikmin 3 in 2 days. Again, I didn't rush through that and I finished it with 100% complete.

I don't see how I've rushed this either. I finished with a team of level 60-70 Pokemon and my main at level 91. If I rushed through it, skipping battles, using repels then my levels wouldn't be that high.

I don't see why this is an issue with so many members on this forum. Like I said, it's not the first time this accusation has been thrown at me and I doubt it's the last. I just have a habit of finishing games quickly , not due to rushing them, more to do with the amount of time I spend on them and an end goal I always have in my mind that I want to achieve.

Completed the game earlier. Fucking amazing.

Sure, the basic formula is still the same old Pokemon, but they put a lot of love into this game and I think it's close to being one of my favourites.

Also, seem to have missed the whole 'rushed' thing. I clocked around 52 hours when I finished mine without using the EXP share as I got the feeling the EXP distribution was going to make the game far too easy (which, looking at my friends teams, seems to be the case). Loved every minute of it.

Edited by Debug Mode

Decided to go to sleep about an hour ago, then changed my mind and decided to evolve an Eevee into Sylveon or however it's spelled. Cute, real cute.

Recieved a Mareep from Wonderland and considering having it in the squad now, since I don't think I'll be seeing any more decent electric types any time soon.

I could have a squad of Mega-Mon now. Gengar, Gabite, Magikarp, Mareep, Squirtle, Torchic (and a couple others) I HAVE THE POWER*

*not all have Megastones included ¬_¬

Exactly. For you.

Me, I don't usually care for the trading or finishing the Pokedex. It's always about the story and once that is done I decide whether or not its worth investing more time in the game. Seeing as I don't care for the competitive aspect of the game either the game is probably done for me now.

Hmm? Then I don't get it - why add friends if you have no interest in the friend-related components? maybe I'm just ignorant, but aren't multiplayer games about the online enjoyment factor when the single player story is thin?

Anyway, @gaggle64 - sorry theres been times when we've both requested battles but there has been connection issues.

Edited by King_V

I don't see why this is an issue with so many members on this forum. Like I said, it's not the first time this accusation has been thrown at me and I doubt it's the last. I just have a habit of finishing games quickly , not due to rushing them, more to do with the amount of time I spend on them and an end goal I always have in my mind that I want to achieve.

Hero you are a legend and that's all there is to it. : peace:

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the game anyway, I've only beaten two gyms so far but that's mainly due to me being too tired when playing over the past couple of nights, I probably won't 'catch 'em all' either but I'll try and get as many as I reasonably can. :)

I think that so long as you enjoy a game it doesn't matter how quickly you finish it, though obviously I am curious... how many hours did it take you to reach the end?

I have no qualms when it comes to how people play their own video games.

Now... As far as battles go, I'm not ready to have them yet. I've only just finished the 3rd Gym.

I think that so long as you enjoy a game it doesn't matter how quickly you finish it, though obviously I am curious... how many hours did it take you to reach the end?

Took just over 20 hours.

I haven't completely stopped playing it yet. I was catching Mewtwo and Zygarde whilst playing Beyond: Two Souls ( hell of a game which I've just finished/rushed through ).

I'm approaching 30 hours played and just about to take on the Elite 4, so I should have this beaten today.

Now... As far as battles go, I'm not ready to have them yet.
I don't think I'm ever going to be ready for them.

For some reason, no matter how much I try, I just can't battle well against other players on Pokémon. ::shrug:

It's the only game I can think of where I have absolutely no trouble with the single player, but am completely awful at the multiplayer. :hmm:

Even when I make an effort to do the whole IV/EV training malarkey and get a good team together, I get trounced in practically every battle.

My record on Black 2 was something ridiculous like hundreds of losses and about 5 wins, all of which were the opponent disconnecting or a fluke. :laughing:

So yeah, if anyone ever wants an easy match, or would just like to witness super ineffectiveness at its finest, then feel free to battle me. :D

Anyway, @gaggle64 - sorry theres been times when we've both requested battles but there has been connection issues.

Probably my fault actually, I'm currently living out of my phone's 3G+ connection and it seems they have a trained gibbon installing their 4G rollout somewhere. I have had a couple of online battles with strangers, we'll get there eventually.

Now... As far as battles go, I'm not ready to have them yet. I've only just finished the 3rd Gym.

FYI, you're either matched with someone with an equivalent level squad or your 'mons are all pegged up/down at lvl 50.

I'm at 34 hours played and I only just beat the third gym, although to be fair I've spent ages on GTS and Pokemon-Amie.

Just defeated the 6th Gym Leader. First Pokemon game I've played since Diamond, and I'm enjoying it very much.

How do you activate StreetPass, and what does it offer btw? Not had any notifications or seen it mentioned anywhere in-game yet.

Just defeated the 6th Gym Leader. First Pokemon game I've played since Diamond, and I'm enjoying it very much.

How do you activate StreetPass, and what does it offer btw? Not had any notifications or seen it mentioned anywhere in-game yet.

I also have no idea how to get StreetPass working.

Anyone got any info?