N-Europe

Pokemon X & Y

Hero-of-Time

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, sure, in the context of the series, OoT was very much like LttP in 3D, and it's easy to say it didn't revolutionise anything, but the truth is, the adventure genre barely existed at the time. OoT codified what a 3D adventure game should be.

Come now, let's not pretend like the adventure genre was anything except extremely prolific ever since the first Zelda came out in '86 and even more so since Tomb Raider came out in '96, there was hardly a shortness of adventure games. Maybe OoT codified what you (and I) think an adventure game should be but let's not jump to the conclusion that that's an unquestionable truth as judging by modern tendencies and appetites I'd say Daggerfall was a much more influential game, even if I do vastly preffer OoT.

(And I think you're underestimating the little touches that were introduced in OoT, such as Day and Night changing the towns' and NPCs behaviour, or Deku Plants turning into Deku Sticks if you cut them just right. It made the game world feel more alive, and presentation is important in this regard.)

I don't get where people get this idea that OoT invented or popularized the Day/Night cycle when it had been around since 1982 in the immensely popular Ultima series and was prevalent in a wealth of games ever since... The same thing happens with the Lock-On mechanic, which people usually claim OoT popularized when in fact that honor actually belongs to the Tomb Raider games (which were incredibly popular and influential even if I personally don't like them at all). Yes, OoT was an amazing game, but the reason that was so wasn't because it redefined the industry (which I really think it didn't) but because it was pretty much as perfect as a game could ever hope to be... Game worlds had felt alive and visceral for years at that point, and while stuff like the Deku stick/plant mechanic was indeed endearing it was hardly that revolutionary. Maybe OoT was many people's first game that felt truly adventurous and alive but that doesn't mean it was the first.

Final Fantasy is a weird analogy to make in this regard. Disregarding the spin-offs, the series feels the need to revamp itself with each main entry (including FF11 and 14, games that should've not been part of the main entries in the first place)

To me, Final Fantasy peaked in everything on FFIX, but it wasn't the culmination of an evolution as much as it was them tackling each entry with a different mindset (though keeping themselves within the genre)

Final Fantasy was the best example i could think of where a direct sequel had diverged vastly from the main story and failed miserably, but there sure are a lot of others.

As for final fantasy... IX is the best, it had a great visual style, great story, it had refined a lot of the jrpg elements perfect and certainly as you said its peak! it went downhill from there, X kept a lot of the good points of IX but became linear, XII used the XI engine how it should have been but suffered from several rubbish characters and well ts kept going downhill

Pokemon names....

Yveltal similar to the name Yvette, has a french vibe to it, but now all i can think of is dodgy frecn accents of the comedy 'allo 'allo saying Yvette, wonder if the main story has you looking for a stolen painting - the fallen Jynx with the big bobies

Edited by Agent Gibbs

Wow, am I reading all of this correctly?

A thread where the Pokémon franchise, the Zelda franchise and the Final Fantasy franchise are being dicussed!?

3565417_o.gif

Surely this is the height of the empire of N-Europe?

Nominating this thread for N-Europe's history...

Edited by Fused King

Wow, am I reading all of this correctly?

A thread where the Pokémon franchise, the Zelda franchise and the Final Fantasy franchise are being dicussed!?

3565417_o.gif

Surely this is the height of the empire of N-Europe?

Nominating this thread for N-Europe's history...

kind of gone off on a tangent about game series and them being formulaic haven't we... but its all good discussion so far

Come now, let's not pretend like the adventure genre was anything except extremely prolific ever since the first Zelda came out in '86 and even more so since Tomb Raider came out in '96, there was hardly a shortness of adventure games. Maybe OoT codified what you (and I) think an adventure game should be but let's not jump to the conclusion that that's an unquestionable truth as judging by modern tendencies and appetites I'd say Daggerfall was a much more influential game, even if I do vastly preffer OoT.

Yes, I had forgotten Tomb Raider, who also codified plenty of those aspects (in fact, I didn't even know it used the lock-on system. Everything was cumbersome in that series, including shooting, you could just shoot in front of you and it would work)

(Also, I was talking about games in 3D when I made that remark about the genre barely existing. My apologies.)

I don't get where people get this idea that OoT invented or popularized the Day/Night cycle when it had been around since 1982 in the immensely popular Ultima series and was prevalent in a wealth of games ever since... The same thing happens with the Lock-On mechanic, which people usually claim OoT popularized when in fact that honor actually belongs to the Tomb Raider games (which were incredibly popular and influential even if I personally don't like them at all). Yes, OoT was an amazing game, but the reason that was so wasn't because it redefined the industry (which I really think it didn't) but because it was pretty much as perfect as a game could ever hope to be... Game worlds had felt alive and visceral for years at that point, and while stuff like the Deku stick/plant mechanic was indeed endearing it was hardly that revolutionary. Maybe OoT was many people's first game that felt truly adventurous and alive but that doesn't mean it was the first.

It's a fair point, but how the player perceives things is important. Like I said, those little touches (which also include stuff like seeing the sun move according to time) may not seem like much, but they're part of the overall presentation of the game. It's part of what made it so accessible. And presentation matters as much as content, I think.

Do you know what I'm really excited about? Previously, with the wait between the Japan and our release, I'd already know everything there was to know about the games before I got my hands on it. This time, I will be able to go in blind. So excited.

Also also, I can finally make a team of my favourite' mon from each gen.

Innovation shminnovation, what I like about Pokemon is I know what I'm getting. A nice adventure, collecting awesome Pokemon and fighting bad guys/trainers, gym leaders.

I'm not the only one who sees the really glaring similarity between PKMN XY's field and GSDD am I? (Even the interactions like the vine swinging look like they were ripped straight out of it!)

Nope, some awesome dude mentioned it a fair few pages back:

Graphical style of Golden Sun. I like it.
I take it they're pronounced Zernees and Veltal?

I'm thinking Yveltal may be pronounced Ee-vel-tall. Or Ai-vel-tall.

There are plenty of new mechanics, but actual gameplay? I mean really, who the fuck cares about dressing up your Pokémon or making them dance?

Second this to the MAX. I hate how people rave about this stuff as if it's amazing. Do all this long winded shit and maybe you'll get a Rare Candy after 45 minutes of crap. Whoa. Development time could've gone on something much more productive.

One thing which plagues me is that the battles remind me too much of Dragon Quest IX and the amazingly slow startup that took each battle. I hope it doesn't follow suit otherwise levelling up is going to be a bitch.

• 1 month later...

Ahh they finally decided to reveal it? Awesome!

Some places have been waiting on it since mid/late last year ever since the leaked Pikachu short poster showed one more character design than there was Eeveelutions in the logo

I like it. "ニン" for "nin" has to come from "ニンバス" for "ninbasu" which of course is "nimbus"- a type of cloud. Totally Flying type.

I study Japanese and didn't even catch on to that! Well played!