NEurope
Caris

How tall are you and what is your weight?

Well not really, you don't need any scale or measurement to tell you if you're fat. Your eyes will suffice. It's a pointless scale and though years ago it was the gold standard, it's rarely used by anyone with a brain cell.

Doctors and those in the medical profession still use it. Yes you can see with your eyes, but BMI gives you a quantitative measure. A Doctor can't say to a patient "I can see that you're pretty fat", but he can say "You have a BMI of 28, and therefore are overweight". Saying "you look fat" is (slightly) subjective and debatable. But a numerical measure isn't debatable.

Doctors and those in the medical profession still use it. Yes you can see with your eyes, but BMI gives you a quantitative measure. A Doctor can't say to a patient "I can see that you're pretty fat", but he can say "You have a BMI of 28, and therefore are overweight". Saying "you look fat" is (slightly) subjective and debatable. But a numerical measure isn't debatable.

No one is debating the number... unless they are questioning the scales. The debate is in the relevancy of said number and in the case of weight, it doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things by itself - even if it's much easier to calculate and communicate (i.e. people are stupid and want something dumbed down that they can grasp). BMI is just an arbitrary calculation performed on said questionably valid number which again fails to take in anything about the person's lifestyle.

Edited by Captain Falcon

I'm just over 6ft and weigh 19st 2 at the moment. Just before Christmas, i weighed in at 18st 7. Which compared to only a few years ago, i was nearly 25st. Which was shocking indeed. My lowest weight was 17st 10 in 2011.

The imperial system is so messy! =S

I know! I don't even know why people use it here for measuring their own weight. We don't use it for anything else!

I know! I don't even know why people use it here for measuring their own weight. We don't use it for anything else!

Apart from height, beer, milk, distance and land area.

Apart from height, beer, milk, distance and land area.

Height/weight - shouldn't be used under UK law. Health professionals shouldn't tell you your height or weight in Imperial unless you ask. It should all be metric although you can use imperial as an option (e.g. scales can have switches to use imperial).

Beer, distance/speed are all true under current law. The only imperial unit that you can use for land area is the acre.

Milk is actually slightly different, although most people will say "X pints of milk" it will also have the metric unit displayed first/above. It's illegal to sell bottles of milk with solely the imperial measurement unless it is a returnable container (i.e. glass bottle)..

I'm currently 19 stone , 6.2

I had a knee op last year and i have only just recoverd to be able to play sports , jog again .

I was 15 stone 2 years ago but then an average of 16st before my injury and op.

I have started a crash diet today eating under 1500 calories a day , i have already hit the gym and burnt off 950 calories :)

and have only eaten 300 so far.

bring it on :)

I use it as it is the measurement system that i understand. Tell me anything else then im off to google to convert it

I use imperial to measure height and weight. Probably because my parents used it i suppose. I think a lot of people do, more than you'd think anyway.

I'm 6'3 and around 15 stone. Not weighed myself in about 6 months though, so who knows.

I use imperial to measure height and weight. Probably because my parents used it i suppose. I think a lot of people do, more than you'd think anyway.

I'm 6'3 and around 15 stone. Not weighed myself in about 6 months though, so who knows.

Oh I know everyone uses it, very few people don't. However it is, legally speaking, the incorrect method to use.

Tell me about it! Number of times i've been pulled over for driving while using the imperial system...

Just measured my height with some help. Was quite funny, I like messing with measuring tapes. :p

Height is about 170/171, I'm not very tall. Weight is about 77/78kg at the moment. I was around the 70kg mark in the summer after doing a fair bit of cardio, but I hardly lifted any weights around that time. I've had quite a large period of time-off where I've not been doing it consistently, but now I'm back into it, going heavy again, which is nice. As a result, I've been putting some muscle back on, noticed some decent strength gains.

181cm, and ~75kg, thought tbh i havent seen a set of scales for a while :o buuuut i've been the same weight for about 3 years and I dont feel any different :P

According to weightwatchers/bmi, people of our height "need" to be between 9'13 and 12'6. So you aren't really far from healthy anyway! I personally would love to be 13 stone =P Think its nice for women to have some curves :) I very much doubt that I could ever be 10 anything let alone 9'13 XD

I forgot about this. I think the problem with bmi is it doesn't really take things such as 'bewbs' into account. Sorry lads.

I really don't worry about my size or my weight, I've been about the same shape now for about 4 years, shrug.

I forgot about this. I think the problem with bmi is it doesn't really take things such as 'bewbs' into account. Sorry lads.

Weigh them and subtract them from your total weight.

I'm tempted.

:blank:

I'm pretty good at working out the weight of something by feeling it... so... you know...

I really don't worry about my size or my weight, I've been about the same shape now for about 4 years, shrug.

If you noticed a change (for the worse).. would you do something about it?

If you noticed a change (for the worse).. would you do something about it?

It depends, if it started to affect my health - 100%.

If it was putting on a little weight on my tummy - no!

I personally don't feel any pressure to lose any weight and be a size 8, I'm 5ft10/11 and not built to be that small, so no, no, no, no.

:)

It depends, if it started to affect my health - 100%.

If it was putting on a little weight on my tummy - no!

I personally don't feel any pressure to lose any weight and be a size 8, I'm 5ft10/11 and not built to be that small, so no, no, no, no.

:)

And that is a perfectly adequate response :)

So.. What if suddenly you started not fitting into all the clothes you own? :P

And that is a perfectly adequate response :)

So.. What if suddenly you started not fitting into all the clothes you own? :P

Haha, well currently I'm a size 10/12 on my top half and a size 14/16 on my bottom. So I guess in all sense the world views me as average, perhaps over-weight if I was shorter. *shrug*

So, I guess if I started going up, I'd look to see what was going on. But for the most part I'm pretty happy, I'm not perfect, but I'll live.

Besides, if I lost weight, would I be any happier? Perhaps, but it'd be pointless if I wasn't. :wink: