NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Weight Loss and Fitness 2013

Great prices. How are the reviews?

Seem to be pretty decent. The more I think about the more I like the whole idea of it. At the moment I probably go to the gym about 3 times a week, i'm probably like £30 for parking a month because parking in Aberdeen so shit and the gym is right in the city centre.

Not to mention the appeal of rolling out my bed and working out without seeing a single Polish* muscle heads : peace:

No disrespect to Polish people intended.

Seem to be pretty decent. The more I think about the more I like the whole idea of it. At the moment I probably go to the gym about 3 times a week, i'm probably like £30 for parking a month because parking in Aberdeen so shit and the gym is right in the city centre.

Not to mention the appeal of rolling out my bed and working out without seeing a single Polish* muscle heads : peace:

When/if I have my own flat and have a spare room I'm definitely going to turn it into a gym. You make your money back on a gym membership in the first year alone.

So.

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/bodymax-100kg-olympic-rubber-radial-barbell-kit-with-6-bar.php

with

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/bodymax-cf376r-half-cage.php

and

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/bodymax-cf325-fid-utility-bench.php

That rack is a bit more expensive but it's far superior and has pull up handles too!

Would try and find some olympic sized dumbbells like you mentioned @Fierce_LiNk. Is it worth getting some sort of mats for flooring? i'm just thinking for deadlifting, since I don't want to disturb everyone in the house.

HNNNNNNG at that cage. I can't do that as I would really be pushing it for space. If you have the space, go for that, absolutely. It's going to be far sturdier than the separate stands. But, it will take up more space, since you can't take it down and put it away, nor would you want to after every use.

I don't use any mats, but it's worth looking into to. Also, are you on the ground floor? Deadlifting on the first floor/second floor would probably be a bit difficult...100KG+ coming down on the floor hard. I'd be worried about tearing a hole in the floor/ceiling.

See, even just with the parking and getting to and from the gym, you'll be making a saving. Once you get your own home gym stuff, you'll never ever want to go to another one again. :D

When I finally get my own house, one of the rooms is going to be an exercise room. I'll keep the squat stands and find some use for it, but I'd love to get a cage like you're looking at there, @Jon. The only two things I can say that I miss are the lat pulldown machine and probably the leg press, too. But, you can substitute that with pullups/weighted pullups and squats and lunges.

Two (almost three) weeks ago I started jogging. Had sore muscles the day after the first couple of runs.

Did a run, yesterday. No problem today : peace:

Might increase the number of runs from 2 to 3 or 4 times a week now as my body's gotten used to it.

HNNNNNNG at that cage. I can't do that as I would really be pushing it for space. If you have the space, go for that, absolutely. It's going to be far sturdier than the separate stands. But, it will take up more space, since you can't take it down and put it away, nor would you want to after every use.

I don't use any mats, but it's worth looking into to. Also, are you on the ground floor? Deadlifting on the first floor/second floor would probably be a bit difficult...100KG+ coming down on the floor hard. I'd be worried about tearing a hole in the floor/ceiling.

See, even just with the parking and getting to and from the gym, you'll be making a saving. Once you get your own home gym stuff, you'll never ever want to go to another one again. :D

When I finally get my own house, one of the rooms is going to be an exercise room. I'll keep the squat stands and find some use for it, but I'd love to get a cage like you're looking at there, @Jon. The only two things I can say that I miss are the lat pulldown machine and probably the leg press, too. But, you can substitute that with pullups/weighted pullups and squats and lunges.

Unfortunately it isn't a ground floor room. I can drop the supports right down and deadlift off the rack, so it's not a major problem.

Definitely won't miss the gym, the only machine I rarely use is the leg press but that's very rarely; normally stick to squats, lunges and calf raises.

Space will be on the tight side but i've measured and it fits.....I think :heh:

I might buy some mats just for any core work or press ups etc.

Weight day yesterday, today rest. I need to buy some of those adjustable and bigger weights too...

I wanted to do something today, so I did some cardio. Just very basic arm and leg movements, varied those for 10-20 minutes. Heart rate definitely went up.

I'm still new to all this methodical fitness stuff, so any pointers on cardio? Does it need its own rest day, can you do it on rest days from weights, anything else I need to take into consideration etc?

Weight day yesterday, today rest. I need to buy some of those adjustable and bigger weights too...

I wanted to do something today, so I did some cardio. Just very basic arm and leg movements, varied those for 10-20 minutes. Heart rate definitely went up.

I'm still new to all this methodical fitness stuff, so any pointers on cardio? Does it need its own rest day, can you do it on rest days from weights, anything else I need to take into consideration etc?

Really depends on how hard you work, what your conditioning level is like. If you generally feel good, there's no harm in doing something. Sometime a little cardio is good for easing the stiffness that sometimes follows a workout with weights.

I've only gone and ordered everything for the home gym. Definitely glad to have spent the little extra on the cage, the ability to dips and chin ups is an added bonus. @Fierce_LiNk Found some olympic sized dumbbells that i'm gonna get eventually.

single-shopped.jpg

£25 per bar.

Posted everything i've ordered so far in the bought thread.

Edited by Jon

Good stuff, brah. Sorry I didn't get back to you with the picture yet, an old friend turned up in Bournemouth today, so that was part of my day gone. I'll hit you up with them tomorrow.

Exciting times, though. :D Those dumbbells look great. Any idea what the maximum load is on them?

Does anybody find it difficult to eat after exercise?

Sometimes I'm absolutely starving, usually with swimming. Understandable. But with cardio and weights, I don't usually feel hungry at all and go some time without eating.

Good stuff, brah. Sorry I didn't get back to you with the picture yet, an old friend turned up in Bournemouth today, so that was part of my day gone. I'll hit you up with them tomorrow.

Exciting times, though. :D Those dumbbells look great. Any idea what the maximum load is on them?

No worries brah, look foreard tonseeing them. Nah, unfortunately doesn't say under the specs. They look pretty robust though, should be able to take a decent amount.

Does anybody find it difficult to eat after exercise?

Sometimes I'm absolutely starving, usually with swimming. Understandable. But with cardio and weights, I don't usually feel hungry at all and go some time without eating.

Yeah, that's pretty natural. Your body will suppress hunger after exercise. Too busy releasing all those feel good endorphins to worry about food. That said, it is important to eat something not long after, eating the right stuff is paramount to your body recovering and getting stronger.

Edited by Jon
Damn autocorrect.

I went for a swim today. I was reminded how much I hate swimming. After 30 minutes (and just about 26 lanes, I think) my ankle and neck were hurting and my arms were tired from breast stroke swimming - the only swimming technique I know. I know, I know, if neck and ankles are hurting from swimming, I'm doing it wrong but I don't care much as I don't enjoy swimming and don't enjoy being in the water at all. The life guard even asked me this so it's quite clear, I believe.

The lack of room isn't my biggest concern, it's the fact I move every few months :heh:

Plus I work from home as well, so going out to the gym is a good way to not become a hermit.

There's a Fitness First literally 3 minutes walk from the flat, if you're interested.

I went for a swim today. I was reminded how much I hate swimming. After 30 minutes (and just about 26 lanes, I think) my ankle and neck were hurting and my arms were tired from breast stroke swimming - the only swimming technique I know. I know, I know, if neck and ankles are hurting from swimming, I'm doing it wrong but I don't care much as I don't enjoy swimming and don't enjoy being in the water at all. The life guard even asked me this so it's quite clear, I believe.

Try using goggles and taking it a little slower. I found this myself, but using goggles so you can dip under water makes it that little bit better.

Or try backstroke! :)

First meal in 24 hours, not sure whats been wrong with me recently, but it tastes yummy.

But the problem is that I don't like getting my head under water. At all. That's why my neck hurts. I should probably join some pre-beginners course in swimming but I just can't be arsed.

Potentially yes, it sounds as though you're straining your neck to keep it a float, which shouldn't be the case. A instructor might make you feel more comfortable.

Potentially yes, it sounds as though you're straining your neck to keep it a float, which shouldn't be the case. A instructor might make you feel more comfortable.

Swimming with you head above the water is the same as walking about looking directly up at the sky. Terrible body position. When you head is up your legs naturally sink which means you need to work harder for a less efficient stroke.

Man, this track is so good while running :D

In about a month the local swimming bath (? Natatorium? no idea) is reopening. Want to go swimming twice a week and run two or three times.

I hate swimming, but it is supposed to be good for your back and in turn will hopefully help with mine.

Man, this track is so good while running :D

In about a month the local swimming bath (? Natatorium? no idea) is reopening. Want to go swimming twice a week and run two or three times.

I hate swimming, but it is supposed to be good for your back and in turn will hopefully help with mine.

Swimming pool* ;)

It's fantastic for your back and pretty much your entire body.

Swimming with you head above the water is the same as walking about looking directly up at the sky. Terrible body position. When you head is up your legs naturally sink which means you need to work harder for a less efficient stroke.

Exactly. Which is why I'm a terrible swimmer.

Also, my girlfriend hates that I hate water as she wants to go to the beach and swim and I don't want to do either.

There's a Fitness First literally 3 minutes walk from the flat, if you're interested.

I don't think it can fit into my budget (as it would be about 30% of my monthly spend). Going to check out LSBU tomorrow as it's still reachable plus I'll be going on my days off so not like I need it to be that close.

This talk of having your head under the water while swimming. I assume front stroke isn't as bad for your neck? That's what I usually do when swimming.

Ah man now I want to go swimming!

I don't think it can fit into my budget (as it would be about 30% of my monthly spend). Going to check out LSBU tomorrow as it's still reachable plus I'll be going on my days off so not like I need it to be that close.

This talk of having your head under the water while swimming. I assume front stroke isn't as bad for your neck? That's what I usually do when swimming.

Ah man now I want to go swimming!

Front crawl you body is flat and head in a natural position looking down (as you're lying prone). To breath you look to the side.

Breast stroke your head comes out to breath but your shoulders do too and it's still a more natural position than simply looking up. Go this pool and watch an old lady swim breast stroke. That's bad for your beck/back.

17st 4lb BITCHES! WOO!

Also, I'm the first ever person to do my mate's fitness circuit! I'm so happy right now. It took me forty minutes and I beat people who are fitter than me. FUCK. YES! I'll write it down for you lot to do. You'll probably beat me but it's bloody hard!

100 x Kettlebell Swings (16kg)

10 x Quick Sprints (I'll try and get the distance but it's something like 30ft I think from the kettlebell to the end and back again to count as one rep)

90 x Kettlebell Swings (16kg)

9 x Quick Sprints

80 x Kettlebell Swings (16kg)

8 x Quick Sprints

70 x Kettlebell Swings (16kg)

7 x Quick Sprints

60 x Kettlebell Swings (16kg)

6 x Quick Sprints

50 x Kettlebell Swings (16kg)

5 x Quick Sprints

40 x Kettlebell Swings (16kg)

4 x Quick Sprints

30 x Kettlebell Swings (16kg)

3 x Quick Sprints

20 x Kettlebell Swings (16kg)

2 x Quick Sprints

10 x Kettlebell Swings (16kg)

1 x Quick Sprints

Feeling so awesome right now! :D

That workout sounds hard on the breath. You'll have to breath correctly during the swings to keep your breath under control. In whilst it goes up, out down. Easy but in the beginning it feels strange as it's a rather fast breath when you aren't having a hard time.

But! When my knee's back in order (it's getting there, might try a short run next week), I shall try it out, it looks hellishly fun.

I do a cardio routine with a kettlebell, but no running lol

30 seconds swinging / 30 seconds rest, repeat that 20 times. You do whatever you can do comfortably to start with - if your first set is say 12, try to keep to the 12 for every set. Then work up to doing 20 swings in 30 seconds.

The advanced level is 45 seconds on / 15 seconds rest with 30 swings.

Re breathing, if you engage your glutes and core properly, your breathing should be exhale the second you pop your hips, inhale on the way down.

Edited by Raining_again

Re breathing, if you engage your glutes and core properly, your breathing should be exhale the second you pop your hips, inhale on the way down.

I think you're right on that regard. I might have switched it up in my head. Whatever, the that feels 'natural' while swinging is the correct way!

Personally, I think 30 seconds' rest is a bit too much so I'd go with perhaps 40/20 or even 45/15.