NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Weight Loss and Fitness 2013

I eat constantly. But I used to be the same and do this kind of thing unintentionally. I'll give it a few weeks and see how it goes.

To compound my misery I found out the half marathon I'm running next month is strictly no headphones. Going to have to get use to running without music..

I way prefer no headphones, after originally being well into it. You may like it.

I eat constantly. But I used to be the same and do this kind of thing unintentionally. I'll give it a few weeks and see how it goes.

IF certainly is interesting.

I always found it odd that people think eating 5/6 small meals a day is worth while. As is mentioned in the article, digestion takes much longer than a couple of hours.

I believe that the “nibbling” approach to dieting, which is so often encouraged by mainstream nutritionists and mass media, may aggravate hunger, rather than keeping it at bay. I can speak for myself, and several of my clients, when I’ll say that several small meals a day does more to potentate cravings, and subsequent hunger, rather than suppressing it.

For someone like me, eating that much is worrying and I'd be sure to have huge issues with bloating and going to the toilet.

I eat when I need to, whether this is a few times a day or not at all for 16 hours. I think mostly because sometimes its ok to feel 'hungry' not the hunger we're used to that's a want, not a need. So in a way, I've unintentionally dabbled into IF.

Good luck with it, keep us updated!

I way prefer no headphones, after originally being well into it. You may like it.

It will definitely sort my breathing out, especially as I'm often singing along to the music more than concentrating on taking a good breath.

IF certainly is interesting.

I always found it odd that people think eating 5/6 small meals a day is worth while. As is mentioned in the article, digestion takes much longer than a couple of hours.

For someone like me, eating that much is worrying and I'd be sure to have huge issues with bloating and going to the toilet.

I eat when I need to, whether this is a few times a day or not at all for 16 hours. I think mostly because sometimes its ok to feel 'hungry' not the hunger we're used to that's a want, not a need. So in a way, I've unintentionally dabbled into IF.

Good luck with it, keep us updated!

I can eat all day because I literally get hungry every few hours. And I eat big. I have a coffee before the gym and one in the afternoon too, which I find helps.

I'm not sure how well IF will work for me because Cycling really throws a spanner in the works. But I'm going to give it a go and see where I am in a few weeks and adjust accordingly. It should be fine, just have to play it by ear.

Mega bonus, not eating breakfast in the morning saves so much time.

EDIT:

I also just Rest/Pause training (Which McGodly recommended I try). Insane. It was absolutely draining. Think it's a winner. Will also pursue that over the next few weeks.

To compound my misery I found out the half marathon I'm running next month is strictly no headphones. Going to have to get use to running without music..

They all say that man, everyone ignores it.

I eat at 12, an hour before the gym, and I stop at 8. A 50/50 protein carb mix before. After the gym, more carbs and then I dunno. probably 50/50 again for dinner at about 7.

I'm guessing I should stop having a protein shake before bed?

Does doing too much cardio in the same session as a weights session have negative effects on muscle building?

And if so how much?

I always feel like just doing weights is over too quickly, and find myself running for 20mins to half an hour after.

Does doing too much cardio in the same session as a weights session have negative effects on muscle building?

And if so how much?

I always feel like just doing weights is over too quickly, and find myself running for 20mins to half an hour after.

Not really, the question i'd be asking how long are you lifting weights for? Personally I always almost run out of time because I've still got lifts to do.

I went to my gym the other day and saw the Rowing Challenge. I asked my mate who is a personal trainer what it was in aid of and he just said it was a challenge that the gym had set up to get a bit of competition going. Anyway, everybody keeps going to him and saying they could beat it but they never took part. I thought I'd try my hand at it anyway. He left the best time up and if anybody couldn't beat the time on the board, he didn't put them up but if someone did, he'd write it on.

Well...

2013-09-26153325_zpsf57d5761.jpg

...I beat the fastest time by well under a minute! The challenge has been going on for about five days now. I did do it in 3 minutes and 53 seconds before but I didn't know you had to have the time written down and I just did it by myself. With the time written above in the picture, I had to have someone watch me do it. Bit gutted that it took me 10 minutes more but considering I did 1.5k in the swimming pool, did an hour on the elliptical trainer and half an hour on the treadmill, I'm pretty proud of it.

Animal- DOING IT FOR THE FATTIES SINCE 1990! :D

I went to my gym the other day and saw the Rowing Challenge. I asked my mate who is a personal trainer what it was in aid of and he just said it was a challenge that the gym had set up to get a bit of competition going. Anyway, everybody keeps going to him and saying they could beat it but they never took part. I thought I'd try my hand at it anyway. He left the best time up and if anybody couldn't beat the time on the board, he didn't put them up but if someone did, he'd write it on.

Well...

2013-09-26153325_zpsf57d5761.jpg

...I beat the fastest time by well under a minute! The challenge has been going on for about five days now. I did do it in 3 minutes and 53 seconds before but I didn't know you had to have the time written down and I just did it by myself. With the time written above in the picture, I had to have someone watch me do it. Bit gutted that it took me 10 minutes more but considering I did 1.5k in the swimming pool, did an hour on the elliptical trainer and half an hour on the treadmill, I'm pretty proud of it.

Animal- DOING IT FOR THE FATTIES SINCE 1990! :D

I reckon I could do it around that will try later when I'm at the gym! :grin:

And if so how much?

What's your lifting routine like? What about your diet? Both of those matter a lot.

I've had a very busy time at school but am finding that there is just about enough time to exercise and eat properly. Feeling pretty good about all of this at the moment.

I have bought some 14kg weights here and am going to start using them tonight.

Cool. 14/28kg isn't much in the grand scheme of things but it's a start, and there's A LOT you can do with them, to work your whole body. Not to mention bodyweight excerises like push ups, pull ups, planks etc and all their variations. Also you're not limited to just Dumbbell excersises and workouts but you can probably replicate a lot of the fashionable kettlebell stuff too.

Assuming your weights are fixed then your progression is going to have to be based on increasing your reps and sets, rather than weight. For example you might start doing 3 sets of 8 for an excersise and gradually work up to 5 sets of 12 or more.

Additionally you can also progress from easier exercises to harder ones. For example you might find Bent Over Rows with 14 kg get too easy fairly soon, so you can progress to Bent Over Flies. Similarly you can go from Goblet Squats to Double Dumbbell Front Squats, Cheat Curls to Curls to Hammercurls, Romanian Deadlifts to Single Leg Romanian Deadlifts, Lunges to Overhead Reverse Lunges, etc.

Additionally you can also combine excercises when they become too easy by themselves, such as the Clean and Press, Curl to Arnold Press, and Thrusters (squat to overhead press).

Good luck. :)

First session at the gym since my hip has gone mental. Its actually helped me a little.

Told my PT about it and he was like "ok, I wanted to hammer home some more technique so we'll do light stuff and see how we go." so we did a load of clean and snatch technique with 30kg, including him getting me to squat into the front squat position and HOLDING the bar where it should be, basically suffocating me... woo. Good job im a lil masochist. mwahaha :D

Got home and sat down for 10 minutes and the pain started all over again. Yay.

Lads and girls, if you want to beat my rowing time, you have to do it at an AMAZING 3 minutes and 28 seconds!!! I will NEVER be able to ever beat that again! I was so effing chuffed! I even beat the personal trainers at the gym! WOOOO!

Cool. 14/28kg isn't much in the grand scheme of things but it's a start, and there's A LOT you can do with them, to work your whole body. Not to mention bodyweight excerises like push ups, pull ups, planks etc and all their variations. Also you're not limited to just Dumbbell excersises and workouts but you can probably replicate a lot of the fashionable kettlebell stuff too.

Assuming your weights are fixed then your progression is going to have to be based on increasing your reps and sets, rather than weight. For example you might start doing 3 sets of 8 for an excersise and gradually work up to 5 sets of 12 or more.

Additionally you can also progress from easier exercises to harder ones. For example you might find Bent Over Rows with 14 kg get too easy fairly soon, so you can progress to Bent Over Flies. Similarly you can go from Goblet Squats to Double Dumbbell Front Squats, Cheat Curls to Curls to Hammercurls, Romanian Deadlifts to Single Leg Romanian Deadlifts, Lunges to Overhead Reverse Lunges, etc.

Additionally you can also combine excercises when they become too easy by themselves, such as the Clean and Press, Curl to Arnold Press, and Thrusters (squat to overhead press).

Good luck. :)

Not sure if that's just a typo but 28kg (62lbs) dumbbells are pretty hefty, especially for someone new to lifting. Very doubtful they'd manage to get anywhere near them unless they're well built already.

Lads and girls, if you want to beat my rowing time, you have to do it at an AMAZING 3 minutes and 28 seconds!!! I will NEVER be able to ever beat that again! I was so effing chuffed! I even beat the personal trainers at the gym! WOOOO!

Whenever I tried rowing at the gym it hurt my butt after a while. I've not got enough junk in my trunk :(

Looks like I'm skipping the gym this week as I'm coming down with a cold. Rats.

mcj said he had 2x14kg dumbbells...

Ah.

Ignore my previous post.

I'm sure most will anyway.

Do you really need to fast Daft. From what I've seen you don't...

There's a difference between fasting and dieting. I still get in the same amount of calories, just within an 8 hour window.

There's a difference between fasting and dieting. I still get in the same amount of calories, just within an 8 hour window.

On another note, 'dieting' is the wrong way to go about it if you want to lose weight. You need to make a consistent lifestyle change if you want to lose weigth and keep it off.

Yeah totally. I really hate saying I'm on a diet because when I use it I'm talking about I'm changing how/what I eat...not starving myself. I eat crap loads.