NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Weight Loss and Fitness 2013

oh and i forgot - @nightwolf - as i said, i'm hoping that fitbit will help me with waking - but i found this app for sleep that i absolutely swear by.

seal_of_approval_1.jpg

i was really sceptical at first - like, REALLY sceptical, but i'd done relaxation exercises before and those worked pretty well for me so i thought i'd give andrew johnson's relaxation apps a go, and now - honestly, i'm not exaggerating when i say that i'm always asleep before this guy has finished counting backwards from 10.

i started out with his relaxation app, then tried the "beat social phobia" and "disconnect" app - i NEVER stay awake through the disconnect app.

seriously - try these. better than chloroform. *nods*

New favourite lift has to be Power Cleans. Something about them just make you feel like you're a machine. Catching the bar at heavier weight when your hands are sweaty is a bit of an issue but I really enjoy doing them.

I've never seen anyone do them in the gym or been shown how to do them so I'm a little nervous about them as it seems to be quite a complex movement...

I think I've lost a bit of muscle recently, been concentrating a lot on cardio and stripping fat. Going to 'weigh-in' tonight on the bodyfat scales and see how I've done over the past 2 weeks.

New favourite lift has to be Power Cleans. Something about them just make you feel like you're a machine. Catching the bar at heavier weight when your hands are sweaty is a bit of an issue but I really enjoy doing them.

YES power cleans are SO AWESOME. :D What weights are you pulling?

Are you doing cleans too? Or snatches?

*is mad on o-lifting*

YES power cleans are SO AWESOME. :D What weights are you pulling?

Are you doing cleans too? Or snatches?

*is mad on o-lifting*

I tend to just do the cleans, generally from a rack so it's just the explosive bit, not the initial pull from the start position. Banged out a few 80kg reps yesterday. Might have done a bit more if i'd done it at the start of my workout instead of the end.

I've never seen anyone do them in the gym or been shown how to do them so I'm a little nervous about them as it seems to be quite a complex movement...

I think I've lost a bit of muscle recently, been concentrating a lot on cardio and stripping fat. Going to 'weigh-in' tonight on the bodyfat scales and see how I've done over the past 2 weeks.

No one does them in my gym at all. My personal trainer tries to teach as many people as he can, but he shows them, they try, think its too hard, and give up. I'm his favourite client because I tried it and fell in love with it! Lifting wise I am up for pretty much anything, and I especially love explosive moves.

The world needs more o-lifting! :)

If you want to give it a try and film it I'd be more than happy to look and suggest any pointers. The progression is normally: High pull - power clean - front squat - clean.

If anything I definitely recommend getting good at power cleans before attempting cleans.

I tend to just do the cleans, generally from a rack so it's just the explosive bit, not the initial pull from the start position. Banged out a few 80kg reps yesterday. Might have done a bit more if i'd done it at the start of my workout instead of the end.

Is that a hang clean, starting at the knees, up to high pull and squat under?

Just have a question...

Is doing 10km on an exercise bike every night a decent distance?

Cos when i asked this on some fitness forum their attitude was basically "ermagahd is that ALL??!". So was hoping for a more objective opinion here.

No one does them in my gym at all. My personal trainer tries to teach as many people as he can, but he shows them, they try, think its too hard, and give up. I'm his favourite client because I tried it and fell in love with it! Lifting wise I am up for pretty much anything, and I especially love explosive moves.

The world needs more o-lifting! :)

If you want to give it a try and film it I'd be more than happy to look and suggest any pointers. The progression is normally: High pull - power clean - front squat - clean.

If anything I definitely recommend getting good at power cleans before attempting cleans.

Is that a hang clean, starting at the knees, up to high pull and squat under?

Yeah. Some people do it with the barbell on boxes but my gym doesn't have that and the squat rack is a lot easier anyway.

Just have a question...

Is doing 10km on an exercise bike every night a decent distance?

Cos when i asked this on some fitness forum their attitude was basically "ermagahd is that ALL??!". So was hoping for a more objective opinion here.

How quickly do you do it? It's all about progression, making it harder each time.

I did 20km last Monday and then 10km on the Wednesday. 270 calories for the 10km, if you do that 7 days a week thats 2700 calories burnt which is pretty damn good.

Edit - Yes, I know I'm an idiot.

Edited by Charlie

270 calories for the 10km, if you do that 7 days a week thats 1890 calories burnt which is pretty damn good.

Fixed. :P

But yeah, it's all about speed and power. I usually do 10 km biking in 20 minutes when riding for exercise (both indoor and outdoor). Recently, I've been more inclined to do intervals, though, so I don't quite reach that distance.

Oh. Shit. Well sometimes it takes me like an HOUR (or more) to do 10km. If i don't have much energy. And 270 cals burnt for all that effort doesn't feel like much!! But then i do do it every single day, at least.

Fixed. :P

But yeah, it's all about speed and power. I usually do 10 km biking in 20 minutes when riding for exercise (both indoor and outdoor). Recently, I've been more inclined to do intervals, though, so I don't quite reach that distance.

Damnit. I realised last night after going to bed that I multiplied it by the 10km rather than 7 days.

Why did I do that?... Because I'm an idiot.

Oh. Shit. Well sometimes it takes me like an HOUR (or more) to do 10km. If i don't have much energy. And 270 cals burnt for all that effort doesn't feel like much!! But then i do do it every single day, at least.

Are you on a stationary bike or outside?

It'll have to be seriously uphill for one to gain anything from 10 km biking in an hour. I would say that it's a waste of time. Walking for an hour is much better exercise than that.

Are you sure that's accurate? Seems really slow. I run 10k in well under 1 hour and cycle roughly a 1km per minute whilst on the stationary bike at the gym.

Cycle 1 km per minute? That's like the professionals - are you sure that's accurate??

Cycle 1 km per minute? That's like the professionals - are you sure that's accurate??

Well yeah. I run an average km in about 4.40 without much effort. I'm going flat out whilst cycling in the gym, usually average about 150 rpm's throughout 10 minutes.

60kph/37mph for ten minutes is pretty intense! I'd start making embarrassing noises a minute or so into that. This is why I exercise outside.

Are you on a stationary bike or outside?

It's a stationary bike inside.

It definitely doesn't feel like a waste of time! I mean, i also walk an hour a day (from walking to work), and that barely feels like exercise. But on the bike my heart is pumping and it feels like i'm working muscles/am short of breath (which is how it should be right). That feels more like exercise than the walking does.

60kph/37mph for ten minutes is pretty intense! I'd start making embarrassing noises a minute or so into that. This is why I exercise outside.

It does get pretty tough towards the end. I hope i'm not giving the wrong impression in that I can saunter to that sort of speed. That is me flooring it, leaving my body a quivering wreck by the end of it.

Well yeah. I run an average km in about 4.40 without much effort. I'm going flat out whilst cycling in the gym, usually average about 150 rpm's throughout 10 minutes.

Impressive. Even though I'm in great shape, I wouldn't be able to keep that speed for 10 minutes. Or well, I haven't tried but 120 RPM is killing me after 20 seconds in HIIT (20 sec @ 120 RPM, 40 sec @ 90-100 RPM, 60 sec @ 70-80 RPM, five-seven times that) so I don't believe that I would be able to do it.

Usually, when I do 20 minutes biking, I muster an average of about 90 RPM. I don't like cycling with more than 110 RPM, though, so I stay at 90 and then up the power instead. (I hate that it's so different from bike to bike how many watt you output. On some bikes, I can only do about 250 watt for 20 minutes, whilst on others I can do about 320! It should be standardized.)

It definitely doesn't feel like a waste of time! I mean, i also walk an hour a day (from walking to work), and that barely feels like exercise. But on the bike my heart is pumping and it feels like i'm working muscles/am short of breath (which is how it should be right). That feels more like exercise than the walking does.

Then I don't believe the distance counter. :)

Then I don't believe the distance counter. :)

Omg, maybe my bike is just crap at counting?? It also claims i burn about 550 cals per 10km, which is like double the amount stated in this thread!

Stoopid bike.

Omg, maybe my bike is just crap at counting?? It also claims i burn about 550 cals per 10km, which is like double the amount stated in this thread!

Stoopid bike.

I think someone mentioned to me that you burn about 70 kcal per km at running/walking and half that at cycling. It applies to most people with a difference of 5 either way depending on your weight.

--

Oh, forgot to mention. I went to a physical therapist today to have him look at my knee. He says nothing bad is wrong, it just took a severe beating. I should give it another week's rest before going back to hard exercise but I can squat till it hurts (which is at about 80 degrees so no ass to the grass at the moment but better than nothing).

I think someone mentioned to me that you burn about 70 kcal per km at running/walking and half that at cycling. It applies to most people with a difference of 5 either way depending on your weight.

That really depends on how fast you're going though, doesn't it?

For example you could put the setting on the bike to be really 'stiff' so it makes it harder and you're going to burn more calories over a km.

That really depends on how fast you're going though, doesn't it?

For example you could put the setting on the bike to be really 'stiff' so it makes it harder and you're going to burn more calories over a km.

It doesn't depend on the speed at all (try that yourself) but of course there can be a difference in the power. If you're cycling through mud then 1 km is harder than downhill plain road. But on average, it should fit.

It doesn't depend on the speed at all (try that yourself) but of course there can be a difference in the power. If you're cycling through mud then 1 km is harder than downhill plain road. But on average, it should fit.

If a difference in speed doesn't make a difference why do you do HIIT?

(genuine question)

HIIT has other benefits. Like, in running you quickly hit your VO2 Max, and your body gets used to it somewhat over repeated sessions. Or something like that. #broscience