NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Weight Loss and Fitness 2013

@Charlie I definitely get the same, so much so that today I've had to cut back quite a bit and stick to OJ and a cup of tea.

Hour long session of swimming tonight, hopefully I can do more underwater stuff, whilst I'm getting some good exercise keeping my head above the water, I'm not really learning how to breathe. Good job I have my goggles with me!

@Charlie I definitely get the same, so much so that today I've had to cut back quite a bit and stick to OJ and a cup of tea.

Hour long session of swimming tonight, hopefully I can do more underwater stuff, whilst I'm getting some good exercise keeping my head above the water, I'm not really learning how to breathe. Good job I have my goggles with me!

Swimming, my area of expertise!

Keeping your head above the water is bad for your neck and back. It's a really unnatural position for your head to be in. I tell(/told) the kids it's the same as walking about looking at the ceiling.

What stroke do you swim?

Swimming, my area of expertise!

Keeping your head above the water is bad for your neck and back. It's a really unnatural position for your head to be in. I tell(/told) the kids it's the same as walking about looking at the ceiling.

What stroke do you swim?

Usually breaststroke and backstroke (or strack as I nearly put). I don't tend to like keeping my head above water, hence the goggles. But its sometimes difficult to not get in the way doing that when the pool is busy.

:hmm:

I was made to go for a run tonight in the pissing rain.

Also did legs this morning.

Tomorrow morning is chest day. Physically moving out of bed is gunna hurt. I just know it.

One of my facebook friends posted her deadlift - 2.5 x bw for 3 reps.

http://instagram.com/p/cVISq2FvyG/

Impressive. If she could hold her neck straight instead of looking up, she could go higher. Some research has found that bending you neck like that weakens you so holding your head in a neutral position through a lift might help one to lift heavier. It's a common mistake, though. When the trainers say "look up to widen your chest" they mean that you should look up "through the eyes", not "through their necks".

Just signed up for the local half marathon in October. Only ran 13 miles once, took me 1 hour 45 minutes, which is good because the event has a strict 3 hour time limit.

Just signed up for the local half marathon in October. Only ran 13 miles once, took me 1 hour 45 minutes, which is good because the event has a strict 3 hour time limit.

Is it really 'completing' a Half Marathon if it's taking you 3 hours to do it?

Obviously everyone is different but I've always questioned the validity in people finishing in extraordinary late times.

Obviously everyone is different but I've always questioned the validity in people finishing in extraordinary late times.

Some people with disabilities do marathons.

Different people have different goals.

You've been running for years I imagine and could get a great time. Someone could just ahve started running and wants to push themself even more by going for a half marathon.

I hear ya. Like all those people in the London marathon for fun.. But they walk most of it. When some poor sod has trained for it but missed out.

When does everyone get their protein in? So many people have told me that you have to take it within 30 minutes of exercising for it to most effective and I've always thought that this wasn't true. This study proves that.

Effect of Protein-Supplement Timing on Strength, Power, and Body-Composition Changes in Resistance-Trained Men, Hoffman et al, nternational Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 2009, 19, 172-185

The findings of this study do not support the benefits of pre and post exercise ingestion of a 42-g protein supplement compared with a morning and evening ingestion of the same protein supplement during 10 weeks of resistance training in resistance-trained men.

Although both supplement groups significantly increased upper and lower body strength and power, no between-groups differences in any strength or power measure were seen. Furthermore, considering that no differences in strength and power performance were observed between control and either of the protein-supplement groups, it appears that if dietary protein intake is at or exceeds recommended levels for a strength or power athlete (1.6 g/ kg), the additional protein intake from a supplement, regardless of its timing, might not result in further performance gains.

In addition, all groups were in positive nitrogen balance, indicating that protein intakes in this study were sufficient to meet the protein needs of these participants.

tl;dr - it doesn't make a difference when you consume your protein in a day as long as you get it.

I might take one before I workout, or I might do it in the morning, or I might do it around dinnertime. I've never believed in this "you must have your protons after working it" logic.

I can see it being useful if you're hungry or something before a workout but don't have time to get something to eat. I usually have some bananas or fruit, but occasionally I'll have a shake because I will need something to keep me going.

Basically, I have a total number of calories/list of food that I need to get through (in my head) before the day ends. :p

Some people with disabilities do marathons.

Obviously not what I meant.

Different people have different goals.

You've been running for years I imagine and could get a great time. Someone could just ahve started running and wants to push themself even more by going for a half marathon.

One of the hardest aspects of Marathons are the training required for them. I'm not talking breaking the 3 hour period but you have to question just how hard people have trained when their taking 7 hours to do it. It's supposed to be a battle of will, not really that if you're walking half of it.

As for protein, it's similar in regard to the myths about eating at night. Eating before you go to bed doesn't make you gain weight or do anything to your body it wouldn't if consumed hours earlier. A lot of people tend to to eat junk food at night and comfort eat whilst watching TV. If you have to eat at night in order to make sure you're getting all your food in for the day, it doesn't make a difference.

Edited by Jon

Eurgh, trying really hard to make the effort to go swimming tonight after such a long day yesterday (and no sleep last night). But dammit all I will be at the gym.

What's the recommended amount of exercise a week for an adult to start losing weight? Currently I'm doing anything from 2 hours to 6 hours of exercise a week, depending on how tired I feel etc. Is that enough? Do I need to do more?

Eurgh, trying really hard to make the effort to go swimming tonight after such a long day yesterday (and no sleep last night). But dammit all I will be at the gym.

What's the recommended amount of exercise a week for an adult to start losing weight? Currently I'm doing anything from 2 hours to 6 hours of exercise a week, depending on how tired I feel etc. Is that enough? Do I need to do more?

If you're trying to lose weight, the first thing you'll need to do is look at your diet/lifestyle. That will be the key factor in whether you lose weight or not.

2 to 6 sounds fine. As long as you're getting plenty of rest, which you probably are. Keep it consistent but manageable. If you're getting burnt out doing 6 hours a week, then maybe look at 4 and keep it at that. At the moment I workout about 5-6 hours a week, but then also play squash on top of that. But, everyone is different.

If you're trying to lose weight, the first thing you'll need to do is look at your diet/lifestyle. That will be the key factor in whether you lose weight or not.

2 to 6 sounds fine. As long as you're getting plenty of rest, which you probably are. Keep it consistent but manageable. If you're getting burnt out doing 6 hours a week, then maybe look at 4 and keep it at that. At the moment I workout about 5-6 hours a week, but then also play squash on top of that. But, everyone is different.

Ah the diet/lifestyle is down, its not a problem. Its just working out the exercising part of things.

The reason for so many questions is whilst I can have have googled it, its incredible the different answers I've found. Some say no exercising more than 3/4 days a week, some say every day is fine. Its difficult to predict what is and isn't ok.

Ah the diet/lifestyle is down, its not a problem. Its just working out the exercising part of things.

The reason for so many questions is whilst I can have have googled it, its incredible the different answers I've found. Some say no exercising more than 3/4 days a week, some say every day is fine. Its difficult to predict what is and isn't ok.

The simple answer is that you should allow yourself at least one rest day during the week. If anything, it'll break the "monotony" of doing something every single day. I hear too many stories of people doing something everyday for a few weeks, then they quit because they either get bored or it's too much. Plus, the body is a delicate thing and it will need some time for recovery.

Go with what you think you can handle. If you feel you could do with 5, go with that. Varying things up so you're not doing the exact same thing everyday would be worth looking into. You also don't have to stick to that number every week.

"Oh shit, I've only been 4 times instead of 5 this week! Am cri!"

So, listen to your body and see what it says. If you're finding too simple doing 3 and want to do more, then up it and see how it goes. If you find yourself exercising every day and you're struggling, then tone it down. Trial and error is usually a good way of finding out. That's pretty much how I know I'm good with my current routine.

You don't need to do any exercise to lose weight. Losing weight is as 'simple' as eating fewer calories than you burn.

Work out your BMR and TDEE. BMR tells you what you burn on any day if you were to do no exercise and the TDEE calculates how many you burn with weekly exercise.

Obviously, if all of your calories are crap (high salt etc) then you won't be as healthy as you could be, but if you're at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight.

When does everyone get their protein in? So many people have told me that you have to take it within 30 minutes of exercising for it to most effective and I've always thought that this wasn't true. This study proves that.

Effect of Protein-Supplement Timing on Strength, Power, and Body-Composition Changes in Resistance-Trained Men, Hoffman et al, nternational Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 2009, 19, 172-185

tl;dr - it doesn't make a difference when you consume your protein in a day as long as you get it.

That's realy helpful. Awesome. I get a decent amount of my protein from a post-run pint of chocolate milkshake. Now I'll not rush it.

Not that I'll be running for the next few days. Went on holiday in the Lake District, ran up a hill, sprained ankle, cursed, hobbled back to camp. Sad.

Want to do some running as well as weight lifting but have no resistance so I started the Couch to 5K programme. Even made an android app to help with it. Notifies me when I have to swap from running to walking and back without removing it from my pocket.

You don't need to do any exercise to lose weight. Losing weight is as 'simple' as eating fewer calories than you burn.

Work out your BMR and TDEE. BMR tells you what you burn on any day if you were to do no exercise and the TDEE calculates how many you burn with weekly exercise.

Obviously, if all of your calories are crap (high salt etc) then you won't be as healthy as you could be, but if you're at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight.

I probably should have mentioned that I realise that having a healthy diet is incredibly important to losing weight, but meant it more like this.

'With a healthy diet (like I currently have, no high salt, high fat or sugar), how much exercise do I need to incooperate into my life to increase that chance of losing weight?'

I'll probably just shut up and stop asking questions now, heh. Thanks for the help @Charlie :)

Before the meet, weighed in at 18st 9. Came back, had put on 4 pounds. Back to 18st 9 1 week later.

I'm currently doing a very slow cut. Trying to eat enough that it doesn't affect my performance under the bar. I think now is probably a good time for me to start it cause I'm hitting a point in my workout plan where all my weights are getting difficult, and I'm not going to see massive gains in numbers for a while. My weight is now 129kg, down 1kg :)

I'm more excited about the fact that my 1xbw deadlift is now 1 kilo lighter, as opposed to me having lost weight lol :heh: I'm kinda hoping to get down to 120 in the medium term, because I know I am really not far off achieving a 120kg deadlift. bodyweight deadlift would be kinda badass.

Good luck with the slow cut, Raineeng. :D

My cut is going well. Even from a visual perspective, everything just looks better. Stomach is looking good and it still looks like I've maintained a great deal of the muscle that was there. It's definitely worth it, being able to see all that hard work pay off.

The funny thing is that I don't actually feel that hungry or miss certain things. I guess part of it is some sort of mind control/manipulation. Plus, the benefits of seeing the weight/fat fall off far outweights the taste of chocolate or something. :D