NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Weight Loss and Fitness 2013

Yeah I'm kinda half assedly trying to lose weight. My body seems to naturally want to stay in the 125-130kg region, i'm going through a recomp, getting smaller and BICEPS

Got a holiday planned in about 2ish weeks so I'll not be starting a strict diet yet, when I come back I'm going to do a targeted ketosis diet for a while. I seem to lose weight consistently with a higher fat/lower carb diet, and targeted ketosis has the benefit of carb loading before and after training. No carbs non training days = motivation to go to the gym :heh:

HUGLY

Love it! Can't wait to see more! You can doooo eeeeet!

Get in the weight room, lift heavy, and build dem muscles, that's my advice! :)

GO DAZ GO DAZ GO ANIMAL GO ANIMAL.

You can do it bro.

I will be weighing myself in 2/3 weeks when I next see PT. Not expecting any major drops, I have defo hit a point where anything I lose will be small amounts, I'm just enjoying weight lifting at the moment really! :)

Does anybody know of a good site where it treats weight loss and fitness like a game? Like something fun where you can log all of the food you've eaten (without inputting everything, like it's already catalogued) and all of the exercises you've done that'll earn you achievements or trophies? Maybe we should come up with something like this if such a thing doesn't exist...how cool would that be!

Does anybody know of a good site where it treats weight loss and fitness like a game? Like something fun where you can log all of the food you've eaten (without inputting everything, like it's already catalogued) and all of the exercises you've done that'll earn you achievements or trophies? Maybe we should come up with something like this if such a thing doesn't exist...how cool would that be!

That actually sounds like a good motivational idea.

I use My Fitness Pal to track food and exercise. The Nike Running App is pretty good too.

That actually sounds like a good motivational idea.

I use My Fitness Pal to track food and exercise. The Nike Running App is pretty good too.

I tried using My Fitness Pal. It's okay but it's awkward to put food in if it's not there and when you do add things, it asks for EVERYTHING. Not only that but you can't use it offline. I just want something simplistic and fun to use and something that uses the UK measuring system (sts and lbs). Fitocracy is okay but again, it's a tad fiddly. I want to create my own sessions without adding each little thing I did so I'd have the elliptical machine, rowing machine, kettlebell exercises and weights under one thing instead of separately.

I think there's one called Fitocracy that turns it into a RPG like game. However I'm not sure that it tracks food - could be wrong though.

Although it isn't quite what you're after in terms of a game, I have actually found the maximuscle protein project a great help.

http://www.maximuscle.com/proteinproject

Although there is obviously a bit of heavy advertising and it tries to make sure you buy their products to include in your diet (it worked, I did...) I have found the work out and nutrition structures really beneficial. Considering I would usually either rock up to the gym and hit the treadmill or do the same through a local park, having a template with which to work from and ideas of what I should be eating has been a great help, and it's free!! :)

Although it isn't quite what you're after in terms of a game, I have actually found the maximuscle protein project a great help.

http://www.maximuscle.com/proteinproject

Although there is obviously a bit of heavy advertising and it tries to make sure you buy their products to include in your diet (it worked, I did...) I have found the work out and nutrition structures really beneficial. Considering I would usually either rock up to the gym and hit the treadmill or do the same through a local park, having a template with which to work from and ideas of what I should be eating has been a great help, and it's free!! :)

I started using one of those and found it pretty good, I've carried on using a few of their things within my regular work out that I was on before.

Really trying to get back into it properly. It's hard with having football/tennis on twice a week and a social life! Went for a swim last night.

Planning on hitting up the weights massively tonight, followed by another swim.

Had my body check up yesterday and new programme.

In the two months since my last programme another 8 pounds has been shifted! Body weight is now 14.8 Stone and body fat % has gone down to 12%.

:)

Had my body check up yesterday and new programme.

In the two months since my last programme another 8 pounds has been shifted! Body weight is now 14.8 Stone and body fat % has gone down to 12%.

:)

You must be very tall or very muscular to have such a low bodyfat percentage at that weight! Great effort.

You must be very tall or very muscular to have such a low bodyfat percentage at that weight! Great effort.

I'm 6"0/6"1. His scales reckon I've got 12.5 Stone in Muscle which has actually dropped from 12.8 Stone from my last check in. :/ It comes up as 'Physique rating' on his sheet but that is how he writes it down.

My visceral fat has gone down to level 2 as well. :)

I need to start eating more...

It is such a hard concept in my head to do because I used to eat so little in the early days of my fat loss. And even when I started eating more in February when I proper started up again that was hard to get my head around. And now i have realised I need to eat more again!

I think why it is so hard in my head is because I basically re-trained it a lot and so more food seems bad on a day to day basis!

I'm going to start this week though, already spoken about it to other people. I'm going to start having a second sandwich at lunch time and something bigger as a mid afternoon snack, as long as I keep up my exercise I should be fine... I think! :hmm:

Deadlifted 90kg for 5 sets of 3 last workout. Slowly getting back to where I was pre back injury, no further back trouble so far.

Pretty much body-wide DOMs (DOMS?) from parkour yesterday. Can't move without being in pain. If this is what old age is like I don't want any of it.

Anyway, is it advisable to go to the gym tomorrow? Is it one of those things that it's better to work through, or to give my body some time to heal? Not that I plan to do a lot, and what I will do will be focused more on upper body (which is about a 3 on the scale of DOMage), but felt it was best to check.

Pretty much body-wide DOMs (DOMS?) from parkour yesterday. Can't move without being in pain. If this is what old age is like I don't want any of it.

Anyway, is it advisable to go to the gym tomorrow? Is it one of those things that it's better to work through, or to give my body some time to heal? Not that I plan to do a lot, and what I will do will be focused more on upper body (which is about a 3 on the scale of DOMage), but felt it was best to check.

I reckon you can still workout just don't do anything that any DOMS pain might comprosise your safety.

As for me I just did deadlifts today, pulled 110kg.

Going for a lighter workout should be ok. I wouldn't go until my body had adjusted to the load. There will come a point where it'll get easier.

My exercise had taken a nose dive since I've been ill. Even before then, I felt lethargic. I blame the end of school year stuff. Next week is Glastonbury and then after that I'm right back on it.

PT had a 5-5-5 rep set of cleans, ohps, and back squats for me today =(

maybe it was the way I trained (less pyramid style, more reps) but my cleans/ohp have got bad.... I didn't feel like I couldn't do it, it was the pain in my wrists that held me back. I can hold them stretched in a back squat position ok, but moving it (clean) or forcing weight directly through it (ohp) was impossible. I coulda squatted all day no problem. I'm the opposite to no leg day guy ;)

Re deadlifts: I find it quite hard to get into a stance which gets the bar dragging up my legs. I can do a good 115kg with form that is not as good. (the bar is nowhere near my legs but doing it all right) I'm getting the correct form into my head and I feel like I can do it, but there is point blank no way I could do 115 with it... And the leg dragging thing is supposed to be more efficient?? I feel a bit wick in the starting position with everything pulled in tight, its like I'm fighting several forces and trying to hold it all together. I really find that its all about working it out in your head and the form, not the weight which I struggle.

Edited by Raining_again

Re deadlifts: I find it quite hard to get into a stance which gets the bar dragging up my legs. I can do a good 115kg with form that is not as good. (the bar is nowhere near my legs but doing it all right) I'm getting the correct form into my head and I feel like I can do it, but there is point blank no way I could do 115 with it... And the leg dragging thing is supposed to be more efficient?? I feel a bit wick in the starting position with everything pulled in tight, its like I'm fighting several forces and trying to hold it all together. I really find that its all about working it out in your head and the form, not the weight which I struggle.

I just did a random single rep of 115kg to see if I could get it and what it did to my form. I made the lift but I was panicing too much about my grip going to analyse my own form. It didn't feel like the bar got too far away from me though.

To be honest I've never given too much conscious thought to dragging the bar up my shins and thighs. I know i have to keep it close but I would say the bar skims my shins rather than being pulled tight against it and dragged, so maybe I'm letting the bar get too far away too. It's probably close enough though, at least at this weight.

When I set up I do start with the bar touching shins. When I take the slack out of the bar I engage my lats to tighten my back. This is probably helps keep the bar close, because as I take the slack out of the bar I'm actually pulling on the bar before I've even started to lift it of the ground using my legs. Once my back is set, I take a deep breath, tense my core, drive my heels into the floor, and stand up.

The best way to set up for dragging along the shins is to have the bar just past the middle of your feet and then bend your legs until your shins hit the bar and then lower straight down.

In my experience, dragging the bar isn't essential. In fact, it cause a lot of pain at heavier weights and cuts you up pretty badly. If you're form is decent, the bar won't be too far away anyway. I always just concentrate on keeping my back straight. I was deadlifting this morning and so many people rounding their back, absolutely not the way to do it.

Yeah, I keep seeing the rounded backs at the gym too. It just pains me that people think they are good and lifts >80 kg with backs rounding all the way through. About half of the time I tell them to straighten their backs and the rest of the time I just sigh and go back to lifting heavy things.

Also, about DOMS; the best way to avoid too much DOMS is to do some light exercise the day after that doesn't particularly involve the sore muscles but still uses them somehow. The best way to obtain severe DOMS is to just sit back the day after and do nothing.

I have a long back and short femurs so it is pretty difficult for me to hold it all together and keep the bar against my shins... but it is the most efficient way to lift so I'm gonna keep at it for now. I just need to keep practising. :) My pt is very good with instruction so i've not got problems that way, its just getting it into my head and being able to do it without overthinking.

Also on another note, I noticed that I've actually got visible definition in my hams and quads.. yet I barely have biceps.... EVERY DAY IS LEG DAY.

Started using a calorie-control ap on my phone. Inputting food into the system, and how much exercise i've done in the day. So far today, i've consumed 1035 calories and burned 646 calories by walking just over 3 miles (equivilent, thats everything including walking to the toilet). I've got a 10,000 step goal, only 3,500 from the target. I'll reach that today.

Weight-loss wise, down 1/2 a stone in June. I plan to be another 1/2 stone lighter by the Meet at the end of July. Was 19 stone 9, now 19 stone 2.