NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Weight Loss and Fitness 2013

The two statements there contradict each other. If you follow any cutting routines, the majority will focus on burning off those calories and watching what goes in, including carbs. Eating a smaller amount of carbs and burning off those calories with something like running or swimming will help a lot.

Nobody said anything about spot training or spot reducing weight. If you exercise enough to burn off those calories and eat the right way, you'll get trimmer all over which will make your stomach look better.

Edit: Just read through this thread again and figured you might have been referring to Mindfreak's post about "no carbs", which isn't something I'd really advise.

Yeah, I wasn't referring to yours.

Abs are made in the kitchen to a degree but that's statements more geared towards people who do all the exercise yet have no relatable diet at all. Despite what all the magazines say, you don't have to live like a nun to get some abs.

It depends on what plan you follow and what exercise you do. If you're into doing a lot of running, good luck trying to do that whilst taking in very few carbs, you'll collapse in no time. If you work in an office and perhaps the only exercise you do is picking up the remote, then limiting carbs is a sensible approach but in my experience all this no carb nonsense is bullshit that's been enforced with these faddy diets. Not to say it hasn't worked for some, but i don't believe it applies to the norm.

Id think id starve if i completely got rid of carbs. Ive just reduced the quantity and replaced them with wholemeal versions etc.

I have a TIIIIIINNNNY bicep. Happy! :D

Biceps are probably what I overlook the most. I should probably get on that. They get exercised as part of compound exercises but just can't be bothered. Triceps are way cooler, biceps are too mainstream.

I do a lot of log/vipr cleans (vertical grip rather than the horizontal of a barbell) and I've recently started close grip reverse pull downs (bicep pull downs) on the lat machine :)

Got to a point where I wasn't really able to get any higher in weight with the logs (already got to the 20kg vipr log WITH a 10kg in it) so I started on the pulldown machine.

I detest bicep curls with a passion, they just feel so bluudy booooring.

Yeah, I wasn't referring to yours.

Abs are made in the kitchen to a degree but that's statements more geared towards people who do all the exercise yet have no relatable diet at all. Despite what all the magazines say, you don't have to live like a nun to get some abs.

It depends on what plan you follow and what exercise you do. If you're into doing a lot of running, good luck trying to do that whilst taking in very few carbs, you'll collapse in no time. If you work in an office and perhaps the only exercise you do is picking up the remote, then limiting carbs is a sensible approach but in my experience all this no carb nonsense is bullshit that's been enforced with these faddy diets. Not to say it hasn't worked for some, but i don't believe it applies to the norm.

I wasn't really talking about spot reducing weight, even though it could be read that way. Sorry for that. No, I meant that if you only need to lose that last bit of fat around the belly, then a low carb diet would work. As I also said above, I don't stay away from carbs and I'm fully aware that I need them to be at my best, I just don't eat the ones that 'come alone', in general.

But otherwise, you're absolutely right. However, it would for the most part of the population be a good idea to cut back on carbs and up the vegetable and meat intake.

Now, about biceps... Hate that muscle! But I've found that "sumo deadlift high pull" and "one handed pulling" with kettlebells actually work them out rather well without being boring exercises. Also, chin-ups are a great variation to pull-ups and works the biceps somewhat.

Edited by MindFreak

One good thing about the bicep is that you only really need one exercise to work it fully, the curl. There are so many you can do for Triceps' and although the bicep is worked to a degree in other exercises. nothing is as effective as the curl.

As basically said above, with carbs more attention should be payed to making sure the carbs are of qood quality, ie from wholegrean and wheat, and not 'white' if you like.

Edited by Jon

I deadlifted 70kg today, easily. (x3 reps)

I are woman, hear me roar ;D

My pt also admired my amazing speed not only getting the bar up, but between reps. Then I showed him my guns ;)

Well done @Raining_again you are making great progress.

I dont know about anyone else but ive got some proper rank stretch marks. They are all on my arms :-(

Split my knuckle with my IRON GRIP.

Elliptical Trainer:

0:04:00 - 0.75km

Two-Arm Kettlebell Swing:

20 kg x 15 reps

20 kg x 15 reps

20 kg x 15 reps

20 kg x 15 reps

12 kg x 15 reps

last rep: lighter weight - to fail

Log Clean and Press:

20 kg x 10 reps

20 kg x 10 reps

24 kg x 10 reps

30 kg x 10 reps

20 kg x 5 reps

Dips - Triceps Version:

15 reps

15 reps

15 reps

15 reps

23 reps

last set to fail

One-Arm Kettlebell Swing:

20 kg x 10 reps

20 kg x 10 reps

20 kg x 10 reps

20 kg x 10 reps

12 kg x 12 reps

Kettlebell Deadlift:

24 kg x 15 reps

24 kg x 15 reps

24 kg x 15 reps

24 kg x 15 reps

I am done. My body is sore ALL over. I've torn the skin on my knuckles, I'm bruised pretty much all over (I have 6 bruises on EACH of my legs!!!), but it is worth EVERY SINGLE SECOND of pain. I feel so awesome :)

And don't even talk to me about the calloused skin. Urgh.

So I put on about 10kg (1.6st), which seems pretty....ridiculous. I haven't lost my shape at all, actually the opposite, but I've definitely gotten bigger. I'm probably eating too much. But then I'm not sure how big an effect the creatine monoblahblah has. I suspect that might be skewing the numbers.

I buggered my ankle about 10 days ago playing football, not been out running since because it's still swollen. However I have got on the exercise bike a few times. Smashed 45 minutes on it today, varying the intensity so I got a good sweat on. Feel good for it.

It seems every time I get a week off work and I intend to do loads of running something gets in the way (injury, illness, the bloody weather).

About 3 weeks now of not exercising due to being ill. Have no energy, no desire to eat...can feel myself slowly wasting away.

Fuck this shit. :(

Don't worry, I literally didn't go to the gym for five months last year and it only took a few weeks to get back to where I was.

Don't worry, I literally didn't go to the gym for five months last year and it only took a few weeks to get back to where I was.

That's still a few weeks lost. Not happy about the whole thing, especially as I had a fair bit of momentum going. :(

waaassstttinnnnnng awaaaaaaaaay nooooooooooooooo =P

Come back flinkeeeh :(

I'm not even sure when I'll be ready to start again. I've been ill for weeks now and I've not really improved in that time. Woeisme.jpg

That's still a few weeks lost. Not happy about the whole thing, especially as I had a fair bit of momentum going. :(

I feel ya Flink.

Anyone know about yoga/pilates (or know of good sites about them)? My back is fuuuuuuuucked (poor living and desk job) and while exercise is helping, think complimentary yoga/pilates would be beneficial.

The gym does sessions so was going to look into that tomorrow, but wanted to see if anyone here could recommend anything.

I did Body Balance at the gym yearssssss ago, which is basically a mix of tai chi, yoga and stretching exercises. I really enjoyed it back then and I did feel it helped with my back (I had lots of back problems too). Don't underestimate it though, it is not as easy as it looks. =)

I think Body Balance is still done at certain gyms, so might be something to look into, or look for similar things. You can always ask in the gym for them to explain the difference between different classes they have to see what would suit you. =)

Anyone know about yoga/pilates (or know of good sites about them)? My back is fuuuuuuuucked (poor living and desk job) and while exercise is helping, think complimentary yoga/pilates would be beneficial.

The gym does sessions so was going to look into that tomorrow, but wanted to see if anyone here could recommend anything.

Stretch everything, not just your back. For example low back pain is as much to do with tight hips and hamstrings, and weak abs, as it is your back.

For lower back look into doing:

planks

cobra stretch

bird dog

warrior/lunge stretches

squat stretch (basically sitting in the bottom of a deep squat)

hamstring stretches

For upper back rounding/rounded shoulders, you probably need to strengthen and stretch your upper back muscles, and maybe strech your pecs too.

Did Legs at gym on tuesday. Again im paying the price now. This morning I got on the bus and someone offered to give up their seat for me as they thought I had some kind of disability.

Legs are the worse for DOMS.

I don't get much DOMS in the legs nowadays. Weighted walking lunges hurt but other than that, I don't experience much DOMS in the legs. I'm usually attacked in the upper body, though. The other day I did a workout consisting of an 'EMOTM' 10 minutes (every minute on the minute) of 6 burpees and 6 kettlebell swings @ 28 kg and then 21-15-9 reps of KB deadlift and front squat, both @ 28 kg, so you would expect my legs to be sore. But no, I had DOMS in my fucking triceps and shoulders! I don't get it, those exercises were hardly using the arms, maybe except for the burpees but that's not hard on the arms. My legs were fine.

Goals for 2013:

Lose about a stone to drop from 11st 10lb to 10st 7lb.

My 5k pb is now 23:09. PROGRESS.

Feb 14th Updates:

Current weight: 11st 1lb

5k pb: 22:59

Yay!

Kinda dying from dieting though. When I get to 10st 12lb I'll stop and have a few non-diet weeks/months (probs bounce back up to exactly 11st). I've been so tired and cranky.

Yesterday I ran a 6:47 mile as part of a much longer run. Felt sick.