NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dog-amoto

Christmas cards.

In this modern age of text messaging and social network sites, is there any need at all for the humble Christmas card?

Personally, I don't see the point of them. My parents got me a Christmas card, as did my brother and sister in law. I'm going to see all of them on Christmas Day when I will quite happily extend my greetings of the season. I'll probably ring them up first and wish them a happy Christmas. As for my friends, I'll send a text message, ring them up or talk to them on Facebook. I'll go out for a beer with a few of them as well. I don't need a few crappy pieces of card with a robin on it cluttering up my living room to bring me my Christmas cheer.

In the 80's and 90's. I remember sending and receiving loads of cards. And it was a right ballache to do it as well.

Other than the odd distant relative who lives miles away, I don't understand what they're for at all.

So is this me just being a miserable so and so, or does anyone agree with me on this?

When I was at school I did it because it was something everyone did. Now I'm an adult, I don't see the point in them. In fact I don't really see the point in Birthday cards either, but I do give them out.

Without trying to sound like some bigot, I tend to find women send out Christmas cards more than men.

I still get Christmas cards from people and I still send them out. I tend to send them to my family and friends but I've sent them in my work place this year as well and I've gotten a few. I like cards.

I don't see the point in sending christmas cards to people you'll be spending christmas with/buying presents for. Sure it's just a little something to keep in touch with people you don't get to see.

It is nice to get a card so long as it is special and time has gone into the message inside. Generic 'merry christmas, love....' cards are just a waste of time and money. If you don't have anything more to say inside, you shouldnt be sending one to that person at all.

It is nice to get a card so long as it is special and time has gone into the message inside. Generic 'merry christmas, love....' cards are just a waste of time and money. If you don't have anything more to say inside, you shouldnt be sending one to that person at all.

But then the real love could be contained within the presents. A card my girlfriend and I got from my Grandma was big-ish and contained a 12 line poem. The card we I got from my Mum wasn't a big fancy one with a long poem in but it doesn't mean I think less of it.

I haven't sent any out this year either. I'll probably attach them to the presents I give to the family, as an elaborate gift tag.

I used to do like Murray, use them as glorified gift tags for family presents - however this year I'm feeling like giving up on them all together. I feel like a dick as I've gotten a fair few at work, and I'm not gonna give any back, thinking I might just do one for everyone and get a box of chocs to share or something.

I used to do like Murray, use them as glorified gift tags for family presents - however this year I'm feeling like giving up on them all together. I feel like a dick as I've gotten a fair few at work, and I'm not gonna give any back, thinking I might just do one for everyone and get a box of chocs to share or something.

I've got a shitload of them from colleagues at work. There's absolutely no chance I'll be giving any out.

What's the point? I see these people every day and I'll wish them a Merry Christmas tomorrow and bring in a big thing of chocolates too.

The only thing I do when receiving a Christmas, or birthday card is check it for money and then put it down. Even when there's no chance of money being in it it is still opened carefully, just in case.

However I can see why my parents would want to send them. They like displaying them proudly around the house, and also they're a good way to keep up with old friends you wouldn't otherwise talk to. My mum gets stressed out about them, everyday she'll get one from someone who didn't make the list this year and therefore it's a mad rush to send one to said person.

I asked my family and Esther's side of the family not to send me birthday cards this year. I received more than ever. GREAT. FUNNY HA HA GUYS.

As a general rule, I've only ever given them out to immediate family. It's more out of obligation than anything - I don't really see the point in it as it's not like I don't see them a lot as it is. I just find the sheer cost of the things the most gauling part as most of the cheap ones do indeed look cheap and I'd feel bad to be giving one out.

Outside them, I only ever give out one other card and that goes to a friend of mine I used to work with. With not seeing her very much these days, I just feel it's a nice gesture - she also happens to be the only none family member to get birthday cards too.

I do send out a text message on christmas day to people but I always ensure everyone is personal instead of just sending the same message to all. If you can't make a bit of effort, why bother at all.

Christmas cards and wrapping paper are the two things I forget at christmas. I want to say it's accidental, but truthfully both things are a waste of trreeeeeess!

... I concur with Jav's statement; christmas cards with messages in are far better. Just getting a card with "to... from..." is so very lame. I always feel obliged to hang onto it for x days before throwing it in the recycling. As a kid, of course, I hoarded them all for years.

Save the trees!

Cards make no sense. You buy them, write at most 2 detached lines in them, and give them to people who will end up throwing them in the bin.

The only time I buy cards is if I'm going to use them in place of letter paper, at Christmas.

At work, we got an e-card. Those are stupid too, unless it's really funny/a meme.

You buy them, write at most 2 detached lines in them

If I've managed a whole line you're lucky, it's usually;

---

To [name]

Merry Christmas/Happy Birthday

From [my name]

---

I can't remember the last time I gave a Christmas card to anyone...

I sometimes feel guilty when people make the effort with nice cards with pretty fonts and sparkly bits, but that doesn't really last very long. Outside of elongating your popularity dick back in primary school or briefly reminding you of distant relatives you'll probably never meet, Christmas cards are just another thing everyone does because... everyone does it.

Next I think I'm gonna try and ween myself off birthday cards. I'd have done so a long time ago were it not for a brilliant "A LONG TIME AGO IN A GALAXY FAR AWAY... YOU WERE BORN" Star Wars card I stock up on every time I pass through WH Smiths. For the last few years everyone I know has received that card on their birthday.

If I've managed a whole line you're lucky, it's usually;

---

To [name]

Merry Christmas/Happy Birthday

From [my name]

---

Mine is:

To ___

Hope you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

(an inside joke)

From Eddie

Right now, Ine is probably in a corner crying. :p

I like Christmas cards. It's nice to receive them, although I am shite at giving them out. If anything, it's nice just being able to see the pictures on front.

Right now, Ine is probably in a corner crying. :p

I like Christmas cards. It's nice to receive them, although I am shite at giving them out. If anything, it's nice just being able to see the pictures on front.

Hey now, I bought cards from her last Christmas to send all over the world :) This year, I bought handmade cards from a different friend :)

Also the last line you said only makes sense if the pictures are actually nice/by Ine :p

Sign in to follow this