NEurope
Raining_again

ram problem

I'm having a bit of problems with my pc. When im booting it up, it takes about 3 minutes to recognise the RAM. So i log on and i notice that only 13% of my (512mb) ram is free. no processes running whatsoever.

ram.jpg

This was about 2 minutes after logging on, i see its increased a lil, should i be worried about this?

I thought it might be the monitoring tool running that could be causing the problem but its only using about 2ish mb ram.

Hannah, Im sorry that I can shed no light on this for you but I too am experiencing similar problems and was coming here to create a thread for exactly the same purpose! Out of my 512 Ram I have at this moment 29% free and it takes an age to boot up the computer.

Anyone got any ideas?

All I could think of was virus... but to the best of my knowledge that isnt the problem.

you could use is this program called "Mem Turbo" which frees RAM, might be what you want

on http://www.yahoo.com:

Download MemTurbo II Now Give your system memory that just-booted feeling with one keystroke.

xads.zedo.com

MemTurbo Download - Free 30 Days Trial Download latest Memturbo version. Test it free for 30 days or buy it today and save $10 with our coupon.

http://www.memturbo.markrecommends.us

I only rebuilt my computer a month ago ill bloody cry if i have to do it again! :( See the tool i use up there clears the ram to the Swap file, but then everything your loading dies for about 5 minutes after it does it.

Edit - mines definately not a virus im super careful about that

Maybe you should just add more RAM. I find throwing money at a computer fixes most issues. I'm now at 1.5GB.

I've got a really basic idea. It worked for me when 128MB of my poor 256MB disappeared. Turn off your computer, unplug all the RAM, place it all back in, turn it on. See what happens.

I have tried switching em round after being advised by my dad (he reckons my mobo is buggered and doing that resets it) and it seems to recognise it okay at bootup, but it still is very low...only 12% free with just this webpage open now. Ive never had any modifications of system files (that i know of) with the tool, and its not excessively using the ram..

As the days go on this is gettin worse and im worried that my computers just gonna fall on its arse one day. Its now sitting at 9% free :(

screenshot_tune.jpg

i freed a couple and it went up a bit but its still bugging me. Do you reckon i just need more ram as shorty said?

It seems ridiculous that with 512MB of ram you have so little free. I only just upgraded to 1GB in the last week and the difference isn't that great because most of my 512 was nearly always free anyway.

Maybe one of your sticks is bust, try check one at a time whilst removing the other?

Yeah i used to be like you where my ram was nearly always about 25% full, whereas now, im running itunes, msn (with no chat boxes open) and opera and i have 18% free ram. I might try openin my pc up later and see what happens, thanks for the tip. why arent you mod of this place eh :heh:

edit: tried it with just 256mb the first one was normal, then i tried it with the second..

What do we learn from that? Did you have them both in the same slot when you tried them on their own? Why do I ask a lot of questions?

they sat in the slots they wer originally in, just with the other out. I have no idea what im supposed to learn.

You ask a lot of questions. And i don't like it :heh: