NEurope
Daft

Pacific Rim

This thing needs its own thread.

I want to say I loved the trailer but...it was a bit much. I's much prefer it if they teased a little more like in Man of Steel. Having said that, I am definitely looking forward to this.

Guillermo del Toro actually asked Gabe Newell if he could use the voice actress and the same voice.

It's not really GLaDOS unless she's an asshole. I hope the AI goes insane and she becomes and asshole.

This is everything I ever wanted out of cinema. I've been looking forward to this ever since I read "del Toro" "Idris Elba" and "giant robots" in the same sentence and this looks set to deliver beyond expectations. Guillermo is capable of making a bad movie (probably), but never a dull one. Anyone who tries to claim otherwise will be fighting me in the street. In giant robot suits.

Evangelion? :S

Looks good, mainly because I'm seeing a lot of inspiration drawn from sources I happen to love.

Is this a serious film or some sort of piss-take? Saw the trailer for this before The Hobbit. Looks atrocious, in all honesty.

Anyone still excited for this? I still can't wait, they actually built full-size operation cockpit sets godammit. Del Toro continues to be cinema's insane saviour.

Was not a fan of the original trailer. The latest ones have been brilliant and have turned a film I thought was going to be a little lame into something I'm really quite excited for.

Anything with giant sea-monsters is a must see for me.

Is this a serious film or some sort of piss-take? Saw the trailer for this before The Hobbit. Looks atrocious, in all honesty.

It's a sort of homage to more or less the Japanese genre of giant robots and giant monsters fighting eachother.

Anything with giant sea-monsters is a must see for me.

Hello, you fool, I love you!

roxette-joyride.jpg

Went to see this last night and just really super enjoyed myself. It stops just short of being a great movie but I've not had quite as much fun sitting in a cinema for ages. It absolutely does deliver on it's "Anime come to life" promise, incorporating a number of recognisable tropes and themes with genuine affection. The general design on everything and the robots in particular are bold, clear and interesting. When something big goes stomping across the screen you do get a real sense of something with genuine size & weight. The dialogue is curiously forced in places but the lead trio of characters are well performed with an especially captivating Idris Elba anchoring the whole movie. I really hope Pacific Rim does well, he's the beating heart of it and deserves to become a huge international star already.

All in all it's a bit goofy and couldn't quite seem to decide if it wanted to be disposable fodder or something with much more depth but it's a movie with real heart that consistently impresses & entertains for it's 2 and a bit hours. Go and have a good time.

Also, Idris Elba has one the best moustaches in cinema history. Even better then Apone's from Aliens. I paid £9-something and the moustache alone justified all of it.

Edited by gaggle64

Saw the trailer whilst seeing World War Z last week. Just looked like poor version of Transformers with that bloke from Luther.

Pacific Rim is the film Michael Bay likes to think he made but never will.

Nothing could ever be the poor version of anything Michael Bay does.

Nothing could ever be the poor version of anything Michael Bay does.
Although Deep Impact is the poor Armageddon.

looks like it could be fun so long as you don't try and treat it too seriously.

Although Deep Impact is the poor Armageddon.

Hold up, Deep Impact is waaaaay better.

Anyone else seen this?

Went last night. Exactly what I was expecting. Loads of fighting and loads of CGI. Decent film if that's your type of thing.

Any time I go into these films I come out disappointed because the part I enjoy most is the back story and how everything came about but you never get anything like that in this genre and target market. I thought the characters well incredibly shallow, the scientist dude did my nut in.

Anyway, I didn't go in expecting anything more than what it was so I enjoyed it for that.

And why was it raining in every single outdoor scene?

Minor spoilers:

It's passable but almost everything about it is incredibly naff, the dialogue especially. Not because it's all cliche, although a lot of it definitely is, but rather the phrasing is always a bit off ('we are cancelling the apocalypse!' & similar lines). The pacing was all over the place too, build-up got rushed (like, talk about cutting to the chase in the opening) and then the climactic bits didn't deliver - no time was spent reflecting on what had just happened so it felt like there weren't any peaks. To its credit there was more going on in the film than I expected and it wasn't overly American. The combat was pretty cool.

They tried to throw in some oddball stuff with the scientists, but the scenes with them and (randomly) Hellboy didn't really work at all or make any sense. I have no idea what they were going for. Their efforts to inject comedy fell completely flat every time.

Having recently passed my driving theory test it was disappointing to see the woman take off the main dude's helmet after the climactic explosion. In an otherwise watertight plot with zero scientific or character inaccuracies I was frustrated that a trained driver such as her (OF HULKING GREAT BIG ROBOTS NO LESS) would fail to consider the risk of removing someone's head protection so shortly after a major incident like that. So implausible as to completely taint the film, for me.

[/endjoke] but srsly, even though one should expect there to be holes in this kinda thing, the quantity and magnitude of them was hilarious. Too many to list, but that's what the cinema exodus is all about - the buzz of funny discussions

'Drift Compatibility' is a cool phrase, can see myself dropping that into convos down the line.

Also, did anything come of that Kaiju using its tentacles to 'sense' that biologist guy? It was like they forgot about it.

Surprised how NO time was given to the commemoration of Idris. You don't just kill that guy off, move on and end the show. I suppose the writers knew they'd given audiences no reason to be attached to any of the characters and they didn't need to bother, the picture was looooooong enough man.

Whatever's said and done, there's lots of things to talk about when you come away from it, even if only a few of them are positive. Doesn't feel like I've been robbed at all, it was aight.

Edited by dwarf