NEurope
nekunando

If you could only play 5 games for the rest of your life, what would they be?

Super Mario Bros. 3

This is a very special game for me. Some of my fondest gaming memories are tied to this game and It played a big role in me becoming the huge Nintendo fan that I am today. Had I not played it... well, you probably wouldn't be reading this right now. :eek:

Super Mario Kart

Despite the significance of SMB3, Super Mario Kart absolutely tops the list. I still play it regularly to this day, and every single time I do so, it brings a smile to my face. I'm pretty sure SMK will always be my favourite video game, I simply adore it. :love:

Super Smash Bros. Melee

Can't even begin to imagine how many hours I've spent playing VS Mode on this... a lot, put it that way. And what's more I'd be happy to spend even more time playing it in the future. It's just one of those games that never gets boring. :D

WarioWare: D.I.Y.

Fun fact: My DSi has several worn out areas on the touch screen that are visible when the system is off, these areas correspond exactly to certain buttons that are used in the D.I.Y game maker. That's how much I played/used this game/tool. I still play it, and I could play it forever. ;)

Animal Crossing: New Leaf

That's right, I'm choosing a game that I haven't even played yet.* But it appears to be the perfect blend of all previous AC games, so I might as well go with the definitive version. :hehe:

*If I had to pick from the currently available AC titles, then I'd probably choose the GCN version. Sure I'd be missing the online aspects, but it's probably my favourite AC in terms of the overall vibe. Plus, I'd be automatically sneaking a dozen or so NES games into my list of 5 too. :heh:

I absolutely hated Oblivion. With Skyrim I'm about to start the entire game again.

With Mass Effect, I could play it so many times.

Oblivion, i never completed it. Think i got 40 or so hours in, most of that was just running around. It was very empty, but as @Ville said maybe i should go back to it with mods to aid it.

Comparing Skyrim to Oblivion, Skyrim is a lot better. Random attacks that keep you on your toes. The soldiers repeativly saying about arrows to knees".

Like yourself, Mass Effect i can play until i go blind.

Like yourself, Mass Effect i can play until i go blind.

Is Mass Effect really that good? The futuristic / tech theme keeps putting me off a bit...also, how text-heavy is it?

Is Mass Effect really that good? The futuristic / tech theme keeps putting me off a bit...also, how text-heavy is it?

Mass Effect is good, but there are more fun ways to go blind. ;)

The games are a mix of third-person cover shooter and RPG, so they're not very text-heavy during missions, but you can spend quite a lot of time between missions talking to people and learning more about the Mass Effect universe. Except the first game, where the first several hours of the game are spent walking around talking to people and then your squadmates run out of things to say halfway through the game. The sequels are more balanced.

If you like BioWare RPGs, there's no reason why you should miss out on Mass Effect. And if you've never played a BioWare RPG, this is a good place to start, as it's by far their slickest and most accessible series.

Mass Effect is good, but there are more fun ways to go blind. ;)

The games are a mix of third-person cover shooter and RPG, so they're not very text-heavy during missions, but you can spend quite a lot of time between missions talking to people and learning more about the Mass Effect universe. Except the first game, where the first several hours of the game are spent walking around talking to people and then your squadmates run out of things to say halfway through the game. The sequels are more balanced.

If you like BioWare RPGs, there's no reason why you should miss out on Mass Effect. And if you've never played a BioWare RPG, this is a good place to start, as it's by far their slickest and most accessible series.

Hmm, well I've never been into Baldur's Gate etc, and nowadays even less into any sort of rpgs really. They take too much time and get boring, I mean I just wanna go beat the crap out of people. I bought Rise of the Argonauts on sale, which I heard mimics the Mass Effect's style of multiple-choice conversation. While the story and cutscenes are good, it's getting tedious that there is so much text there...Just compare with Dante's Inferno or Bayonetta, where you're kicking ass all the time.

Hmm, well I've never been into Baldur's Gate etc, and nowadays even less into any sort of rpgs really. They take too much time and get boring, I mean I just wanna go beat the crap out of people. I bought Rise of the Argonauts on sale, which I heard mimics the Mass Effect's style of multiple-choice conversation. While the story and cutscenes are good, it's getting tedious that there is so much text there...Just compare with Dante's Inferno or Bayonetta, where you're kicking ass all the time.

Well, if you're not really interested in games with a story, there's little reason to play Mass Effect, I guess. There are way better action games out there, and it's the writing that makes Mass Effect stand out.

Oh, well! At least you don't have to suffer through the ending. :p

I like to think i enjoy games with good stories, and then i realise i'm 3/4 of the way through and i have no idea what's going on.

Most people only play 5 games as it is...

1. FIFA 12

2. CoD Modern Warfare

3. FIFA 13

4. CoD Black Ops

5. FIFA 11

You're forgetting about LoL.

Anyway, it's pretty funny / sad how all of the later Elder Scrolls games (III-V) really need mods for the best game experience, even Skyrim... o_O

It's not just the last 3, it's all 5. Huge games tend to have huge problems, after all.

5 games that I could play forever... It's a tough choice because variety is the spice of life for me! (I don't necessarily play my favourite games on a regular basis) But here goes!

Advance Wars Dual Strike: This is truly a game that I could happily play until the end of time. Endlessly deep, hideously addictive and with endless challenges and content. It's also both great fun in both single and multiplayer! I choose this one over the other games purely for the larger number of characters and potential game mechanics in play with the level editor, but I'd be just as happy with any of them really!

Mario Party 3: No two matches are ever the same with the MP games! With luck playing arguably a larger role than skill in these games, anybody can win and anything can happen! I've played and own all of them (yes even Advance and e!) and Mario Party 3 is my favourite (oh how I :heart: you Game Guy and you too Reverse Shroom!) I still play all the games in the series on a regular basis with my friends and I don't think I will ever tire of them :D

Panel de Pon GCN (AKA Puzzle League/Tetris Attack): THE greatest puzzle game of all time by a landslide. Endlessly addictive, unbelievably deep and skill based and another game that provides a wonderful single and multiplayer experience. It's the kind of game that you just lose yourself in, trying to endlessly improve your skills (this is the equivalent of hardcore fighting games for me, in the way that you never stop wanting to get better!). I pick the GCN version over the others for the 4 player multiplayer and because it has the best physics and scoring system (DS version has floaty physics, SNES/SFC version has a nasty scoring bug). All the versions bring something to the table that make them unique and interesting, but the GCN version is my favourite :)

Perfect Dark: In addition to being the single greatest FPS of all time, with impeccable level design, an amazing myriad of weapons, wonderful music (the whole shebang), this game also combines elements of Puzzle League and Mario Party for me. The single player is relentless in its difficulty at the higher levels and offers endless possibilities for improving speed running times, while the multiplayer is so rich and customisable that anything can happen. It's impossible to get bored with this game and I don't suspect that I ever will :D

New Super Mario Bros Wii: I could pick any of the Mario titles as some of my very favourites, but this one is probably the most replayable of them all. The level design is my favourite of the 2D games and the multiplayer element keeps things feeling endlessly fresh (especially when you add on Coin Battle mode!). Add on the speed running element to the single player and I could probably happily play it till the end of my days :D

I should also add that Nintendo Land is looking like a likely candidate to add to this list. I don't see myself ever getting bored with it! (Though it's too new for me to add to it really)

Edited by Dcubed

I should also add that Nintendo Land is looking like a likely candidate to add to this list. I don't see myself ever getting bored with it! (Though it's too new for me to add to it really)
I was contemplating Nintendo Land for my list too. :awesome:

It's definitely got that "everlasting" quality to it, that's for sure. ;)

2: Final Fantay Tactics Advance 2

This was another game that never really needed to end for me: played and played this game for about 30 minutes every night before bed and it was just glorious. So many quests, so many different character classes and items to master. Another game that I never finished but got way, way more than my money's worth just meandering along at a happy pace.

I loved FFTA but put FFTA2 down in disgust after a few extremely annoying "laws" came into play. Such as "no attacking an enemy 2 squares away" being enforced when I got a crit, which caused knockback and triggered the punishment. Also they took away law cards and excused the opponent from laws, changing them from a tactical weapon into a handicap.

Should I shut the hell up, dig it out and give it another try? The first one was so damn good....

I loved FFTA but put FFTA2 down in disgust after a few extremely annoying "laws" came into play. Such as "no attacking an enemy 2 squares away" being enforced when I got a crit, which caused knockback and triggered the punishment. Also they took away law cards and excused the opponent from laws, changing them from a tactical weapon into a handicap.

Should I shut the hell up, dig it out and give it another try? The first one was so damn good....

Yes, that was VERY annoying, but it forced you to think a little bit more. True, there were definite "aw, come ON!" moments, however

1. Banjo Kazooie

2. Lylat Wars

3. Left 4 Dead 2

4. Majora's Mask

5. Pokémon Red

I won't go into each game with too much detail but I picked out games that I will still pick up and play today. I know Pokémon Red like the back of my hand so I won't miss out on anything with my playthroughs. Majora's Mask has so much depth to it that it will keep me busy for a long, long while. Left 4 Dead 2 is awesome even without the multiplayer but my favourite mode has to be versus where you play through a campaign 4v4 taking it in turns to be survivors and infected.

Lylat Wars is just a brilliant game. The controls are so fluid and you can get through it really easily... but once you become skilled it really becomes a whole new game as you try to best your score every time. Banjo Kazooie is just the ultimate platform game for me. Everything about the game is fantastic and easily still holds up today. The characters, the story, the humour, the gameplay... all wonderful.

I picked these games because they all have amazing replay value. I could very easily spend the rest of my life playing just these 5 games and I'll likely still be playing them when I'm old and grey anyway.

Spiderman 2

I LOVE this game. There's something so calming about just swinging around Manhattan, occasionally solving crimes, or just leaping off tall buildings web-shotting to safety. The story is fun, but mainly just the free-roaming makes this playable for a long time.

Good choice indeed. Swinging through the city and climbing buildings was so satisfying, and the atmosphere was great. I assumed they'd make a better Spider-Man game this generation (simply building on what they'd done), but I suppose this is not the case?

Majora's Mask

The Wind Waker

Super Mario Galaxy

Super Mario World

Wipeout 2097

Yes, that was VERY annoying, but it forced you to think a little bit more. True, there were definite "aw, come ON!" moments, however

However whaaaaaat

So very hard to only choose 5. Let's see now...

Perfect Dark

Just because of all the different/unlimited possibilities with the multiplayer battles. I loved having team games against the simulants, as well as all the customisation options. Spent hours and hours on this and could easily last the rest of my life just playing this. May look a tiny bit dated now on the N64, but it's still brilliant fun.

F Zero GX

The multiplayer is fantastic and there is so much to unlock/do in the singleplayer, plus it helps that the game is very intense and thrilling in the first place. I could have chosen ExciteTruck, but I went for this because the multiplayer is much better.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 Wii

I have spent so many hours on this already. The controls make it. I've played the Pro Evo series on other systems and whilst I enjoyed it, it didn't really scream "amazing" to me, until I played it on the Wii. There's nothing better, the precision, the control...could easily play this until the end of time, destroying City over and over again.

Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun

Skirmish mode is where it is at. I've recently got back into it and have been enjoying myself re-loving this game again. Not sure why some look on it unfavourably, but I much prefer it to the Red Alert series. I've recently just started playing Firestorm, and that just enhances this game even further.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Narrowly beats out Twilight Princess as my favourite Zelda. The 3-day scenario just floors me every single time, it really hits home the idea of a forthcoming apocalypse, which the other Zeldas just don't quite nail in the same way. I haven't played this in years, as it is very special and I like to save it for important times. But, it deserves to be in this list, because I don't think I could live without this.

Honourable mentions go to:

Metroid Prime Trilogy

Monster Hunter Tri

Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow

ExciteTruck

Super Metroid

Ocarina of Time

Twilight Princess

Super Mario Galaxy

Perfect Dark

Just because of all the different/unlimited possibilities with the multiplayer battles. I loved having team games against the simulants, as well as all the customisation options. Spent hours and hours on this and could easily last the rest of my life just playing this. May look a tiny bit dated now on the N64, but it's still brilliant fun.

So have the XBLA version instead :laughing: No framerate lag!

Yeah I can see why it would be important to forgo dual analogue for aiming with the R Button :blank: cos that was great :blank:

Yeah I can see why it would be important to forgo dual analogue for aiming with the R Button :blank: cos that was great :blank:

It's more to do with the positioning of the Z trigger under the analogue. Felt very comfortable at the time. Having to aim with the R button wasn't really much of an issue at the time for me.

It's more to do with the positioning of the Z trigger under the analogue. Felt very comfortable at the time. Having to aim with the R button wasn't really much of an issue at the time for me.

Yes, at the time it wasn't, but have you tried playing the games now? Tried Turok Rage Wars a few years ago, and good lord were the controls clunky and archaic compared to modern shooters. Not to mention you probably have to play with a worn-out control stick, a typical flaw of the N64 pads...

Yes, at the time it wasn't, but have you tried playing the games now? Tried Turok Rage Wars a few years ago, and good lord were the controls clunky and archaic compared to modern shooters. Not to mention you probably have to play with a worn-out control stick, a typical flaw of the N64 pads...

Yup, still love it. :p

True, the N64 analogue does get worn out over time. But, still feels nice to me. I still get a buzz when holding that controller in my hand. Nostalgiaaa.

You'd expect the controls to be different to modern shooters. Same thing will happen in a few generation's time, making these current shooters look and feel outdated. No game from previous generations can seriously compete on a technical level forever as technology changes all the time, and fast. But, it's not really about that, is it? Sure, it's nice to have the option to play the XBLA version of Perfect Dark, just like it's nice to have Ocarina of Time in 3D, or on the Gamecube or in the Wii's VC. But, for me, I always judge games on their original incarnation. Perfect Dark will always be an N64 title to me, and that's how I want to play it, including with its controller. Same goes for Majora's Mask.

Also, Turok Rage Wars was always shit. One of a small portion of N64 games I regret buying.