NEurope
Jimbob

Sir Patrick Moore has died

Indeed this is sad news, the Gamesmaster has run out of lives.

Sky News

A legend on the show "Sky at Night", his knowledge of the universe was well known. It's a sad day today

R.I.P

Edited by Jimbob

Aw damn thats terrible, he's always been great in everything he does and got me interested in astronomy

I just saw the news!

It is really sad, but if you watch the Sky at Night quite regularly like I do then unfortunately I think you were preparing yourself for it.

I'd like to thank him so much for everything he's shown me about Space and the Universe over the years!

He was a true britsh icon, institution, an absolute great who will be very sadly missed!

Very sad news indeed...oddly enough the other day I found the DVD they gave away with the magazine a few years back that contained the last episode. Maybe we should resurrect the Gamesmaster Viewing Club thread I started and share in the joy of Patrick Moore in remembrance of him.

A truly sad day as he was someone that always showed great knowledge and insight with everything he did. He will always be The Gamesmaster to me and he was someone that inspired so many people to learn more about Astronomy.

Very sad to hear this. I first became aware of Patrick Moore when Channel 4 launched Gamesmaster in the early '90s. Even then I realised he was a legend. One of my fondest memories of him was his appearance on a special edition of "Going Live", where Patrick played the xylophone on the Isle of Wight ferry.

Nowadays, every month I am pleased when The Sky At Night is on - a programme that feels like a little club, quite unlike anything else on TV. It's just terribly sad and the end of an era.

Shame he was a sexist and homophobic prick. That's the real tragedy.

A true gentleman and a legend, He had a good innings

RIP Gamesmaster

Shame he was a sexist and homophobic prick. That's the real tragedy.

re- show some dam respect ! He was from a different age you cant blame him for his views, most peoples grandparents have similar views, its the age they were brought up in, are they all sexist and homophobic pricks !

Edited by yesteryeargames
Automerged Doublepost

I didn't take anything away from his achievements, nor am I going to excuse his views because he was 'from a different age' - there are plenty of people raised at the same time who were wise enough to question the social norms and reject them (or at the least change with the times). It's a tragedy that he couldn't use his mind to do likewise.

And it's spelt 'damn'.

Who cares about spelling you should still show respect i find pointing that out petty to be honest.

The man was as True gentleman a real character and its not fair going around calling him a prick.

Show some DAMN respect please

Sexist homophobes are people too, Daft.

Well, he's dead now, so I guess he's not a person anymore.

Who cares about spelling you should still show respect i find pointing that out petty to be honest.

The man was as True gentleman a real character and its not fair going around calling him a prick.

Show some DAMN respect please

A 'true gentleman'? What does that even mean? I don't think he was because like I said he was sexist/homophobic/xenophobic. Why would I show respect to the aspect of a man who didn't reserve so little for so many others? I'd call him a prick regardless of whether he were alive or dead.

I find unquestioning reverence for the dead bizarre. I said I'm not taking anything away from his achievements, I have total respect for his work, but I'm not going to pretend he was anything less than offensive in some of his views. That's what I said was tragic, that any memory of him will be tainted with some quite nasty views.

I'm very much for the whole 'Speaker for the Dead' thing.

A 'true gentleman'? What does that even mean? I don't think he was because like I said he was sexist/homophobic/xenophobic. Why would I show respect to the aspect of a man who didn't reserve so little for so many others? I'd call him a prick regardless of whether he were alive or dead.

Do you have any direct quotes to prove he was sexist and homophobic? It's a new one on me.

As for his "xenophobia", Patrick Moore had been through extreme situations and therefore felt strong emotions about certain countries. They weren't my views and it sounds like they aren't yours, but I'm guessing our fiancés weren't killed in bombing raids. Lucky us, eh? We have the luxury of being able to be modern and "tolerant".

Either way, you shouldn't have called him a prick.

He was not sexist,

for example

"He inspired countless astronomers in the making, like Heather Cooper. She wrote to him asking if being a girl would hamper her career.

HEATHER COOPER: Couldn't believe he replied to me. It says, from Patrick Moore: "Dear Ms Cooper, many thanks for your letter. Let me assure you on one point - being a girl is no handicap at all."

If you think he was sexist for saying the bbc was being ruined by women putting on too many soaps and other tripe and cutting back on science? you can understand why he was upset and spoke out about it.

He was very outspoken and old fashioned but it was part of his character which we all loved.

I dont agree with all of his views but that doesn't mean he is a horrible person or a prick.

He will be sadly missed by allot of people so please show a little respect.

RIP SIR PATRICK

You could tell Patrick Moore was an utter gentleman by the way he treated people on The Sky At Night. He never belittled anyone, never spoke over anyone and never ridiculed anyone's theories. He just seemed like a very generous person to me.

As long as you weren't an immigrant or gay.

Apparently he really liked cats, though.