NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Falcon

Street Fighter X MegaMan

I totally agree with you on the C.Viper stage - I assume you are on about the exploding bits anyway. I was thinking when playing that it was a neat idea but done a bit slap dash even by 8bit standards and not introduced as well as it could have been.

(...)

The levels you can pretty much plough through as item drops seem to be a bit more common than normal.

Exactly. Megaman games are usually good about introducing something new before using the big obstacle courses, but that trap just came out of nowhere, a guaranteed death. They didn't even introduce the barrier enemy before that room.

The item drop rate seems to have been designed for Dhalsim's stage. Few, but strong, enemies.

Meanwhile, Chun-Li's stage has endless respawning enemies you can kill with one shot... :blank:

One thing I will say is that despite the polish, it still feels like a fan game. Some of the backgrounds use color combinations and tiles that you wouldn't typically associate with Mega Man and some enemies look a bit out of place too. There is more to Mega Man than just being 8bit.

Amongst my many personal projects, though it's currently on the backburner, is a Mega Man game and having spent a lot of time trying to identify exact movement values and examing his hit box, that technical examination of the games serves to make any slight variances feel quite extreme even when remarkably close.

The big turrets and the enemies in Blanka's stage certainly fit that description. And yes, it's quite noticeable, in various fangames.

And I didn't know you made fangames, that's pretty cool. Is there a specific theme behind it?

Also, since we're on the subject, have you tried A Day in the Limelight (and its sequel)? Those are the best MM fangames I've ever played.

Exactly. Megaman games are usually good about introducing something new before using the big obstacle courses, but that trap just came out of nowhere, a guaranteed death. They didn't even introduce the barrier enemy before that room.

The item drop rate seems to have been designed for Dhalsim's stage. Few, but strong, enemies.

Meanwhile, Chun-Li's stage has endless respawning enemies you can kill with one shot... :blank:

Yeah, you drop into that room and you see the guy at the bottom and the thing on the right. The thing on the right looks stationary, like just a barrier, and instinctively, you take out the Sniper (Laser?) Joe first but them it starts to flash and it all goes off and there is no way you'd know that. And shooting the barrier doesn't even stop the explosions either.

That bit in the middle of Chun-li stage where the section is just one frame wide sees super fast spawning enemies seamingly designed to throw stuff at you. But the stage is full of stuff like that (but who doesn't love a Metool on a bike) and even at the very end, you can just easily stock up on all your bits.

The big turrets and the enemies in Blanka's stage certainly fit that description. And yes, it's quite noticeable, in various fangames.

And I didn't know you made fangames, that's pretty cool. Is there a specific theme behind it?

Also, since we're on the subject, have you tried A Day in the Limelight (and its sequel)? Those are the best MM fangames I've ever played.

It's not currently in active development and certainly not a point where you can call it a "game" as I am focusing on some other things right now. I have Mega Man running/jumping/shooting around a room and a camera I'm happy with for tracking his movements but there is no real level design other than what I've done for checking my own collisions and gravity, and no enemies either yet. Just trying to nail the movement before I go on. He has a few subtleties you don't tend to notice unless you are really looking for them or are paying attention - there is a certain sense of deception concerning his apparent simplicity.

I have seen a couple of fan games on YT (and some were quite impressive) but the only one I've played is the demake of Mega Man 8 done in 8bit style.

So I beat the 8 Street Fighter characters today.

Blanka is almost as easy as Chun-li - he's just a little bit faster in his attacks but his AI seems more typical of a RM than the other bosses who seem to exhibit a bit more thought with their moves.

So then...

You go on to an extra set of levels against more street fighter characters.

The first level is very cool and is probably my favourite level. I'm not sure I should describe it as a level or just a long boss fight but either way, it's pretty nifty. Even though the boss can kill you in hit, it's not that difficult. Visually it's great and the music works very well - I'd forgotten how good that character's music was.

Next up is a level that is a pain in the backside and the boss is just as bad. Well, the first half is the typical late game ascent but it seems even more annoying than normal thanks to the enemies and the game not always responding correctly to controller inputs - getting knocked off and holding up doesn't always grab back on. The boss was probably the hardest I've encountered so far.

The third level, is the ever present boss rush level. Unfortunately here, there are no health pick-ups whatsoever after each fight. The game expects you to defeat the 8 fighters without help. This is where I gave up. So far, I've made all my progress without using any E-tanks and I'm trying to keep it that way but this might be the point at which I have to go against my plans. One thing I will say is that fighting Dhalsim on a flat level, unlike his own stage, makes him so much easier it's untrue.

The third level, is the ever present boss rush level. Unfortunately here, there are no health pick-ups whatsoever after each fight. The game expects you to defeat the 8 fighters without help. This is where I gave up. So far, I've made all my progress without using any E-tanks and I'm trying to keep it that way but this might be the point at which I have to go against my plans. One thing I will say is that fighting Dhalsim on a flat level, unlike his own stage, makes him so much easier it's untrue.

I was on the same boat as you, but then I accidentally shot the yin-yang in the middle. It gives you health and ammo pickups, and it regenerates each time you beat an old Street Fighter/Robot Master.

Yeah, the game doesn't hint that this is possible. It should be much clearer than this

I've already completed it. There's a boss fight with a cheap attack, unintuitive level design in general and the lack of saves or passwords is utterly frustrating (though the game's actually pretty short), but it's still fun. It's solid as a crossover, some of the ideas are genuinely interesting, and the boss fights are difficult but fair (the exception being the one with a cheap move, but even that one has weaknesses). Plus, the various weapons are actually useful, something I consider to be very important in a Megaman game.

I was on the same boat as you, but then I accidentally shot the yin-yang in the middle. It gives you health and ammo pickups, and it regenerates each time you beat an old Street Fighter/Robot Master.

Yeah, the game doesn't hint that this is possible. It should be much clearer than this

I've already completed it. There's a boss fight with a cheap attack, unintuitive level design in general and the lack of saves or passwords is utterly frustrating (though the game's actually pretty short), but it's still fun. It's solid as a crossover, some of the ideas are genuinely interesting, and the boss fights are difficult but fair (the exception being the one with a cheap move, but even that one has weaknesses). Plus, the various weapons are actually useful, something I consider to be very important in a Megaman game.

Thanks for the heads up - will come in most handy :)

I agree, lots of good ideas but still lots of room for improvement to get it up to the past standard I think. No one thing is particularly wrong as such, just that there are so many small things to brush up on that combined, it would make a big difference. I saw someone complained about the attack patterns for Mets, he is absolutely right and I noticed it myself the first time I encountered one. Sniper Joes are wrong too. Here they are invincible when their shield is up but that has never been the case. Since MegaMan's hitbox remains stationary, even though his sprite shifts over to shoot, you can hit them by standing close enouh to not get hit yourself but tight enough that the shooting spite overlaps the enemy. These are the things that make MegaMan that aren't present.

Allthough I've beaten every boss with just the Mega Buster, I do find the weapons to be quite useful in levels - especially the Aegis Reflector and Mine Sweeper.

A couple of little things for you here...

If you hold shoot and jump at the title screen for six seconds, in game, you can do Fireballs by doing the classic FQC motion and pressing shoot.

Pause the game and hold Jump - then press Up, Down, Down, Down to have Guile's theme replace the music. It does go with everything after all.

Get three perfects during fights and after you beat the last boss, there will be another fight against a new character who likes to turn up at the end of SF games.

Guile's Theme? :hehe: Nice!

Also, as a shield, I prefer Blanka's weapon, actually. It's particularly good against Urien when he stands a bit too close to you, since it blocks everything while you change back to the Mega Buster and fire away (the fact that Urien's, Blanka's and Rose's weapons stay when you change again is helpful, even if Megaman doesn't usually do that)

Guile's Theme? :hehe: Nice!

Also, as a shield, I prefer Blanka's weapon, actually. It's particularly good against Urien when he stands a bit too close to you, since it blocks everything while you change back to the Mega Buster and fire away (the fact that Urien's, Blanka's and Rose's weapons stay when you change again is helpful, even if Megaman doesn't usually do that)

Tropical Hazzard works as a shield for defense but Aegis Reflector functions as an offensive item too. The fire demons from Ryu's stage will fall to one reflected shot and it's also funny watching Ryu's Fireballs, including the EX and the Metsu, hit him after launching them.

The minesweeper is cool because it doesn't get reflected, making it great against Urien, destroying his reflectors almost instantly, and his enemies, and travels in an arch over obstacles - plus it bounces off of walls.

I too noticed about being able to swap weapons but still have the shield-esque items up. I wondered if it was bugged so that the Aegis Reflector didn't use energy, since it only drains when it reflects something as opposed to when it's fired, but it still does unfortunately - it seems to be one of the fast draining items whereas Lightning Kick probably out does the Metal Blade for number of uses.

Here's a question which you might know - when you lose a life, does it restore all your weapon tanks to full or just to what they were when you hit the check point? I've used weapon energy on bosses then died and seen my tanks full again.

Also, I know if you slide into Tropical Hazzard, it kicks it into the air, but is there a way to kick it along the ground as you see him do to Dan on the Weapon Equip screen? All walking into them does for me is push it along the floor.

Edited by Captain Falcon

Tropical Hazzard works as a shield for defense but Aegis Reflector functions as an offensive item too. The fire demons from Ryu's stage will fall to one reflected shot and it's also funny watching Ryu's Fireballs, including the EX and the Metsu, hit him after launching them.

Yeah, I figured Urien's weapon was obviously going to be the strongest against Ryu :heh: (Though I did try on Rose, too)

Lightning Kick probably out does the Metal Blade for number of uses.

I love using that one on stages. Manages to quickly kill almost anything you can approach.

Here's a question which you might know - when you lose a life, does it restore all your weapon tanks to full or just to what they were when you hit the check point? I've used weapon energy on bosses then died and seen my tanks full again.

Also, I know if you slide into Tropical Hazzard, it kicks it into the air, but is there a way to kick it along the ground as you see him do to Dan on the Weapon Equip screen? All walking into them does for me is push it along the floor.

1. It restores them. I'm positive of this.

2. B+Down does the kick (where B is the firing button). I don't use that option much, though. Leaving the melons there tends to be just as effective :heh:

err, not too sure where to pu this as it concerns more than just Mega Man but here is a link to a survey Capcom are doing for digital titles.

It asks several questions about spending habits and then moves on to your favourite Capcom franchises. Stating that one is your favourite brings up a list of additional questions concerning what games you'd like to see made available for download and the likelihood you'd buy them. These take the form of all the previous Mega Man games baring the Zero/ZX series (possibly as Zero Collection and ZX can be played on a 3DS) - they ask on an individual basis and as a compilation of the series. One of the options is also for a new HD sprite or 2.5d based game so I beg of you to go say you want it.

They also ask about games in series such as Street Fighter (make sure to tick definitely buy for a new Street Fighter Alpha game), as well as Resident Evil and a few others beside. So if you want that Resi 2 remake as well, better let them know.

Edited by Captain Falcon

You definitely should post this elsewhere. I'm glad Megaman Legends was among the options, and kind of surprised that yet a new version Alpha 3 was a possibility.

I'm a bit bummed they didn't ask any Ace Attorney questions (I would totally buy a digital compilation of the trilogy, not to mention suggest they release both AAI games in a similar manner)

And should you want the soundtrack, it can be downloaded here.

You can pay as little (read: £/$/€ 0) or as much as you want. Note that the track names do contain spoilers for later sections of the game so bear that in mind before proceeding if you are concerned with such things.

You definitely should post this elsewhere. I'm glad Megaman Legends was among the options, and kind of surprised that yet a new version Alpha 3 was a possibility.

I'm a bit bummed they didn't ask any Ace Attorney questions (I would totally buy a digital compilation of the trilogy, not to mention suggest they release both AAI games in a similar manner)

There has been a bit of Alpha talk lately with Ono mentioning it and asking fans to be shout up if it's something they would like - I think it was also conspicuous in it's absense at the Street Fighter 25th Anniversary Tournaments. Alpha 3 is probably my favourite 2D Street Fighter game so to use that as a basis is more than fine with me. The amount of content crammed into the home releases always impressed me - especially for a fighting game. It made the previous Alpha games completely redundant that I think it's strange they even think about putting them aall out instead of just 3 as you'd have to be pretty nostalgia fueled to get the others instead. I know some complain of balance issues in 3 but that was only because of the huge roster and a boat load of user customisation on top - it's hardly surprising it wasn't as even as previous games with 1/3 the cast and less options.

Edited by Captain Falcon
Automerged Doublepost

From Brett Elston's (Capcom Community Manager) twitter feed:

Just so y'all know, we're working on a V2 for SFxMM that should address a few issues, and be out in January. Free D/L of course.

I think my bigger issues, outside a couple of control niggles, would require more time than they've had to address but any improvement is an improvement and therefore always welcome.

Street Fighter X Mega Man Ver 2 is now available from the same place as version one - there is a link in the opening post.

Updates include:

-New password system

-Improved controller support

-Additional sound improvements

-Rebalancing of the final boss who is now much tougher

And to top it off, there is another secret character included!

There is a new video out showing the changes but it also spoils some of the extra characters - it even spoilers one in the thumbnail which is displayed before you even start the video so that's why I've hid it... even though their inclusion shouldn't come as much of a surprise.

Heh, I'll download it, though I probably won't go to the trouble of beating it again just yet.

For some reason, it still takes a while to download even though the file is rather small.

I went through to the last boss but was on the receiving end of a good a kicking and after a dozen+ tries, I gave up - one for another day I think.

Sign in to follow this