NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Falcon

Street Fighter X MegaMan

Just announced by Capcom, this game will be coming free to PCs on December 17th (the official 25th anniversay date). Will be available from the Capcom Unity site.

Mega Man gets to face eight robot masters that just happen to be Street Fighter characters and he will get their moves when he beats them. Looks awesome naturally.

And more MM announcements will be coming soon too.

It's the 17th guys so Happy Birthday Mega Man and go here for downloadable goodness.

EDIT: Version 2 is now available from the same place.

Edited by Captain Falcon

MegaMan 10 was possibly the hardest game I've ever played. I just couldn't hack the reaction time needed for it.

I don't think 10 was that hard really and the esy modes makes it super simple. I think 9 is harder but even that isn't too bad really - if you ever get stuck on either, just buy the half damage power-up and you can walk through any level providing you don't fall down a pit.

Apparently this started out as a fan game and Capcom have been working with the guys to no doubt touch it up and get it ready for a wider distribution.

I feel conflicted. On one hand, it's really cool to see them pimp out a fan game and give it wider recognition and distribution. On the other hand, it's sad to see Capcom stoop so low as to have fans make games for them for free...

Whilst dev duties belonged to a fan, Capcom play tested the thing internally at ever stage and asked him to go ahead with it after he approached them at EVO, so it's no like they had nothing to do with it. And if they are working on their own game(s) as well, I don't see any harm in this. As they say, it's a celebration to mark the end of the SF 25th anniversary and the start of the MM one.

From their Unity site

As for more MM25 news... stay tuned. I've been running those meetings all year and we have stuff to share that day and through 2013. We know it's been a hard year for Mega Man fans, but I hope this proves our love and intent to the series, and that we have not heard the last of the little guy.

Well, Capcom are awesome for this. Even if it's embracing an indie fan development to pay tribute to games they love; it's fantastic to see the company itself embrace and support that. Completely disagree with Dcubed that this is getting a fan to make a game for free; the fan was going to anyway but now he's been supported by the very people he was paying tribute to! How awesome is that!

This is very confusing. Capcom are usually the complete opposite of this.

Now they need to release those "Greatest Video Game Music" tracks that they stopped weeks before the album was out.

This is very confusing. Capcom are usually the complete opposite of this.

Now they need to release those "Greatest Video Game Music" tracks that they stopped weeks before the album was out.

Whilst Capcom are known for some strange (read: greedy) tactics when it comes to certain things, they can also be incredibly generous too. Anyone who's been following their Street Fighter 25th Anniversary this year will know just how much time and money has been spent on promoting the brand and reaching out to the fans with several tournaments and real cash prices despite free entry.

I think it comes down to who's making the decisions. If a decision has to go via Japan, and through all the bean-counting bureaucrats that decide so much that they aren't even qualified on, then sure, it tends to get a big no unless it will make them good money. If it can go via their US side, I think they are far more welcoming to ideas.

As for the missing tracks, I gather no official reason was given and they weren't the only company to deny the use of their music. It could simply be down to contractual obligations with other music studios. Either way, I don't think it was right for the makers of the "Greatest Video Game Music" to announce the appearance of tracks they had never secured a license to as any denial placed upon said track after the announcement makes the company, in this case Capcom and Konami, look bad when the decision may already be out of their hands.

In case anyone was concerned, the game does support gamepads so you aren't forced to use a keyboard but I'm not sure if it supports them all or just xinput ones.

And here's a pic of the level select screen (note: this is not from the final version so there may be a couple of small changes in the actual release since they've been spending this past week making some last minute tweaks).

sfxmm.png

Edited by Captain Falcon

I'm probably in the minority but I wish all the street fighter bosses were the classic characters.

I'm probably in the minority but I wish all the street fighter bosses were the classic characters.

Rolento and Rose are from Street Fighter Alpha, which was...15 years ago, I think? Rolento's even older, from Final Fight (a game released before Street Fighter II). They're classic in my book :heh:

Anyway, I've seen a screenshot where another classic SFII character appears as a (mini?) boss, so it's not just the 8 you've seen so far.

Now, *goes off to download it*

For such a small download (35MB), it seemed to take a while.

Just had a go and managed to beat Ryu after about 10 goes, and Chun-li on my first attempt. I then took a crack at Viper and kept getting her incredibly close to death but never manged to finish her off. It is really cool watching them do their special and ultra attacks from the games though, especially with the 8bit digitised sound effects of Ryu shouting "hadoken" and "shoryuken".

Whilst control is fine when playing, the level select really doesn't want to behave itself - I'm using a wired Xbox pad.

One thing I have noticed is that you really need to make the most of the charge shot with the Mega Buster - some enemies seem to take a awful lot of hits if just using mashing the shot button.

Anyway, I've seen a screenshot where another classic SFII character appears as a (mini?) boss, so it's not just the 8 you've seen so far.

Since when have Mega Man games ended after beating just the 8 robot masters ;)

One thing I have noticed is that you really need to make the most of the charge shot with the Mega Buster - some enemies seem to take a awful lot of hits if just using mashing the shot button.

Personally, I like it better that way (mostly because I never liked the Charge Shot for the classic series, they're a better fit for the X and Zero series, imo)

Chun-Li was easy, Rolento was a decent challenge (he sure behaves like a robot master), Dhalsim was very difficult (and I haven't actually beat him yet), C.Viper went just like with you, and then I got a whiff of Blanka before calling it a day.

It's definitely a solid Megaman game, with great polish regarding the Street Fighter crossover (love the super moves, love that the screen goes yellow when they kill you with them), and the stage ideas are cool. However, some of the levels' design could use some work (Chun-Li's stage is a tad too easy and bland, C.Viper's has a potentially awesome segment that could've been better implemented...). Also, there should be a save or password system, at least.

Still, it's a pretty fun fangame.

When I say classic I mean anyone from Street Fighter 2 Turbo

I know. Hence the smilie and this:

I know. Hence the smilie and this:

I thought you did, was just making sure :)

Gutted they haven't done a mac version!

Personally, I like it better that way (mostly because I never liked the Charge Shot for the classic series, they're a better fit for the X and Zero series, imo)

Oh me too. I know it's appeared more with than without but I still never associate the charge shot with classic Mega Man. The problem lies with the balance of the enemies. Some have such small windows to be attacked in that if you don't use the charge shot, they take a good while to go down and yet for some, the charge shot completely bypasses that defence anyway providing even less reason not to use it.

It's definitely a solid Megaman game, with great polish regarding the Street Fighter crossover (love the super moves, love that the screen goes yellow when they kill you with them), and the stage ideas are cool. However, some of the levels' design could use some work (Chun-Li's stage is a tad too easy and bland, C.Viper's has a potentially awesome segment that could've been better implemented...). Also, there should be a save or password system, at least.

Still, it's a pretty fun fangame.

I totally agree with you on the C.Viper stage - I assume you are on about the exploding bits anyway. I was thinking when playing that it was a neat idea but done a bit slap dash even by 8bit standards and not introduced as well as it could have been.

One thing I will say is that despite the polish, it still feels like a fan game. Some of the backgrounds use color combinations and tiles that you wouldn't typically associate with Mega Man and some enemies look a bit out of place too. There is more to Mega Man than just being 8bit.

Amongst my many personal projects, though it's currently on the backburner, is a Mega Man game and having spent a lot of time trying to identify exact movement values and examing his hit box, that technical examination of the games serves to make any slight variances feel quite extreme even when remarkably close.

This game is rock hard and I suck :(

I have only played three of the levels so far and I'd say that only the bosses are verging into the "hard" category but even then, I think it's more about unlearning typical MM boss behaviour as these are so much beyond the typical rabble that it's important to not be looking for a simple AI pattern. The levels you can pretty much plough through as item drops seem to be a bit more common than normal.

Sign in to follow this