NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
CoolFunkMan

Dark Souls II

I'm at 58 hours, around level 148, including about 2 hours spent yesterday beating the Guardian Dragon 20 times :p Only to find the Sun Sword isn't really all that....

So I defeated that bloody spider boss last night. Man, that was not cool. *shivers* :shakehead

Didn't have a clue where to go next (as usual :heh:) but remembered there were areas in the Shaded Woods that I couldn't access before, so I went back there.

Managed to open one of the doors that was locked earlier, and ended up at Dragon Castle. This looks suspiciously like the final area of the game, also the level-up woman from Majula was there saying something along the lines that I wasn't ready to proceed, but could if I wanted to. ::shrug:

That didn't exactly fill me with confidence, so think I'm gonna try the hole in Majula (still not gone down there) next time I play instead. :D

Do you have the King's Ring yet?

Going down the well is mandatory for progression. Laddersmith Gilligan in Earthen Peak (warp to second bonfire, destroy the nearby wooden fence and walk around the outside) will move to Majula if you talk to him a lot. You can then pay him to put a ladder down the well which helps descending it.

Edited by Sheikah

Do you have the King's Ring yet?
Got a shitload of different rings, but don't think I have that one, no. :blank:

Ah! Is that what the game is on about when it says produce the mark of the king? Seen that message appear a couple of times (can't even remember where now) but just ignored it and explored somewhere else.

Oh well, I'll figure it out... hopefully. :grin:

Going down the well is mandatory for progression.
I figured that would be the case. Hopefully there aren't any giant spiders down there. :heh:

I just jumped in wearing the cat's ring. I don't remember it being mandatory though...

I was wondering how many times people died during their first playthrough. I died around 688 or 788 times. I thought I would've easily gone beyond thousand deaths but surprisingly I didn't. (You can check your total amount of deaths in majula by checking the obelisk in offline mode.) I primarily used the drangleic sword for most of my playthrough (actually still use it on my new game +) and used a bow on some occasions but mostly melee'd everything.

The rings for completing the game without dying or resting at any bonfires seem like they'd be pretty cool for pvp.

I think I missed the Drangleic sword. Maybe it was in one of those chests I destroyed thinking it was a Mimic :laughing: I've been using a +10 Longsword for a while, with a Fire Red Rust Twinblade, Dark Black Katana, Dark Knight Halberd as backups, Hunter's Black Bow and elec/poison arrows, magic sword spell helps too. I have focused on high DEX and ADP, my RT attack with the sword in two hands can knock back almost anyone and then repeated thrust attacks just finish them off.

It's awesome.

I'll tell you how many deaths when I get home :D

I've died 220 deaths. Minus probably about 5 or so since completing the first run through. Pretty good then? t3h Pr0

I've died 220 deaths. Minus probably about 5 or so since completing the first run through. Pretty good then? t3h Pr0

Were you playing on the normal difficulty or in the champions covenant? I played through the game in the champions covenant so I don't if I would've died less if I wasn't in it.

Actually still playing mostly in the champions covenant on new game+ in the hopes of getting invaded and getting those awestones.

I actually only upgraded the drangleic sword to 5+ and didn't really bother upgrading anything else. Damn that rpg hoarding habit.

Yeah regular. Doesn't that covenant makes everywhere like NG+? To do that on NG without any gear seems a slice of mental.

Yeah regular. Doesn't that covenant makes everywhere like NG+? To do that on NG without any gear seems a slice of mental.

Nah, it was awesome. Yeah I think the mobs get more health and their attacks do more damage. Maybe they get more aggressive? Haven't really tested it that much. Also you can't summon phantoms for help either. That phantom summon thing didn't bother me since I would've played through the game solo anyway as it was my first playthrough. For me summoning a phantom for a boss on my first playthrough would have felt kinda like cheating.

The game often gives you NPC phantoms to summon (some of which you need to summon for trophies) so I don't see it as cheating. Some enemies seem purposely designed to be trolls in 1v1.

Also wouldn't want to think about sunlight medals on NG+. Apparently co op is meant to be much more scarce there.

Yeah I've been using those npc summons on new game+ for the trophies or at least trying (I think the npc died on me before I killed the boss.) As for summoning a human player with the npc to a boss I've only had to wait for a few minutes before I saw a white soap or a sun bro sign. I've only used my summon sign a couple of times but it didn't take long for me to get summoned.

I completed the game earlier today, pretty underwhelming final boss fight, but whatever, its done! Just under 50 hours. I think this one is harder than Dark Souls 1 overall, and that the quality and challenge is maintained for a longer time (a lot of people dislike the entire second half of DaS 1, for me there is only one terrible area).

Started my NG+, respecced to a sorcerer type. Anyone got any suggestions of which spells to use when enemies get close? I have Soul Spear and Great Soul Arrow which are great but don't have many uses, and seem to go over mobs' heads when they get too close. Great Soul Sword is good but a bit slow even with 50 ATN.

Soul Geyser is awesome, took most of the first boss' health in two hits.

Not sure how long I'll keep playing now, mind. As much as I enjoyed it, I don't seem to have time anymore for playing a game more than once!

I'm only about 2 hours into NG+ due to being a bit busy the past few days, but I absolutely cheesed through so much of it. The last thing I did was beat Ruin Sentinel. It's kinda fun breezing through it with your uber equipment.

Yeah part of me wished I'd kept my dex build, at least until the first encounter with the Pursuer. Wanted to beat him there instead of later, but wasn't used to playing a very low strength build who has to dodge a lot :p

I finally made it through the underground areas (horribly annoying areas I might add :heh:) down that hole in Majula, and defeated The Rotten. :awesome:

Looks like it's time for me to head back to that castle then.

Must be near the end now, right? :blank:

Anyway, my death total last time I checked was 168. Carked it a few more times down that bloody hole though, so will be a bit higher now.

Want to try and beat @Sheikah's 220. :hehe:

I finally made it through the underground areas (horribly annoying areas I might add :heh:) down that hole in Majula, and defeated The Rotten. :awesome:

Anyway, my death total last time I checked was 168. Carked it a few more times down that bloody hole though, so will be a bit higher now.

Want to try and beat @Sheikah's 220. :hehe:

Man, I've no doubt you will. :p

I tried to do loads of the extra stuff in my playthrough that gets you killed a lot (covenant PvP, optional areas, lava dashing, etc). Also assisting people as phantoms, pretty sure dying there counts as a death.

Lol, not really... :heh:

Man, I've no doubt you will. :p
Actually, it's looking a lot less likely. :heh:

I made it through the castle without much trouble at all, but now I'm in an area which completely takes the piss.

It's a swamp full of these bastards that fire ridiculously fast homing magic attacks at you, literally every second! :o

Yet it's difficult to move because of the water, and these beams mess you up, even if you block 'em. :shakehead

Must have died at least 10 times in this area, just trying to get from one end to the other. :blush:

Lol, not really... :heh:
No kidding. :hehe:

Not sure if I'll even make it through the swamp of doom at this rate. :D

Try getting a decent bow (maybe Dragonrider bow by trading a demon's soul with Strait in the Bastille). Then some lightning or dark arrows. Hang around corners and pop our to fire the odd arrow at these guys.

Try getting a decent bow (maybe Dragonrider bow by trading a demon's soul with Strait in the Bastille). Then some lightning or dark arrows. Hang around corners and pop our to fire the odd arrow at these guys.
Yeah, I did briefly try that tactic. But then I'd get jumped by those other things that hide under the water while in 1st person view. :indeed:

Guess I should be taking them out first. :heh:

Will give it a another go tonight though. Might see about changing some of my gear or actually use some items for a change.

I've not used many items at all since I started playing this game. My inventory is full of stuff that I have never even used once/have no idea what it's for. :grin:

*EDIT*

The bow tactic paid off, finally made it through the swamp! :yay:

Am now in the...

Undead Crypt.

What's with the undead enemy that doesn't attack you? :heh:

Is that a glitch, or just the devs having a laugh?

Edited by RedShell

Sign in to follow this