NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
CoolFunkMan

Dark Souls II

First boss down. : peace: Not that difficult.

Now I have to figure out where to go next :yay:

So I accidentally had my delivery address set to home (Cheshire) instead of here (London). Fgfgf

I must be the only person trolled by this game without having even played it.

So I have spent the first couple of hours in the wrong area, and have joined a terrible covenant that should be avoided.

Covenant of Champions increases difficulty and stops you from being summoned/summoning others

Dark Souls!

Just gave this a go online... messages everywhere! :heh: Some have already been really helpful though. :wink:

Loving the bloodstain thing too, and was glad to see that I wasn't the only person to get killed by the trio of pigs in Majula. :blush::laughing:

Yeah, this game has definitely got me hooked now, it's pretty incredible. :cool:

The feeling of exploration is amazing, it's so rewarding finding new areas or items. And getting jumped by enemies is genuinely terrifying due to how brutal the combat is. This is the first non-horror game that's really made me experience a sense of fear. icon14.gif

There are a couple of things I'm not too keen on though, the first is how jump is mapped to clicking in the left stick. :shakehead Although I suppose it's not used very much, but still annoying.

Secondly I don't like that you can't see how your stats will change when shopping for new gear. icon13.gif

Xenoblade did a similar thing with its gem crafting system, which really got on my nerves.

Speaking of gear, I seem to be collecting quite a lot of different weapons and armour now, but have the best stuff equipped. I don't see any options to sell though, so should I just be discarding anything I'm not using?

There will be certain things you can do with it (like dropping it in particular areas, like a nest) that might bring you some rewards. Otherwise, discard the chaff when you've amassed it. You may as well keep one of every unique weapon/shield/armour set, especially in case your stuff gets broken. Mixing and matching your armour can often be useful too by the way.

Another boss down, found a nice shield (need to upgrade some stats, though) and more online items. :yay:

Secondly I don't like that you can't see how your stats will change when shopping for new gear. icon13.gif

Yeah, that's really annoying, Most of the equipment you can buy sucks, though (at least I haven't found anything useful in shops except for some rings).

Also, your avatar is amazing. :grin:

Another boss down, found a nice shield (need to upgrade some stats, though) and more online items. :yay:

Yeah, that's really annoying, Most of the equipment you can buy sucks, though (at least I haven't found anything useful in shops except for some rings).

Also, your avatar is amazing. :grin:

Yea it strange how they dont compare the equipment you could buy to what you already have. Also I feel like there was a lot more weapon drops in DS1 than this time around, everything I am getting is worse than I already have.

Currently exploiting the Ring of Life Protection - it keeps you human but breaks when you die. So you warp to the blacksmith, repair it for 3k souls, and you are good to go! Unlimited humanity. Oh, and you don't lose any souls either when you die.

Yea it strange how they dont compare the equipment you could buy to what you already have.

Maybe they'll add it with a patch.

Currently pondering whether I should use Titanite Shards to upgrade my weapon.

I have 9, but so far no enemy dropped them and the blacksmith only has a limited supply. :hmm: Don't want to waste them.

Anyway, I just beat the two easiest sub-bosses in the history of gaming (well, not really, but for Souls standards they are very easy to kill). Don't worry, I won't elaborate :p

Edit: Had a great session. Don't know how long it took me (sadly I didn't check the time) but I completed an area in one sitting. Such a great experience.

Didn't die, but good lord...it has been close. More than once. :laughing:

Edited by drahkon

Ruin Sentinels ruining my life...

Don't know who/what they are, but I don't like the plurality :D

Just defeated a boss and...well, now I don't have to find out where to go. :D

I killed The Pursuer, which is apparently a 'guardian' of a shortcut to The Lost Bastille.

I took the - what I guess is the - standard route to that area before and then decided to tackle him, who gave me a hard time earlier.

After killing him I could use a shortcut to the second bonfire in the Lost Bastille. So yeah, that's that :laughing:

Good lord that armor. Phys Def increased by 100 from my last body armor :o

There are a couple of things I'm not too keen on though, the first is how jump is mapped to clicking in the left stick. :shakehead Although I suppose it's not used very much, but still annoying.

Do this - I thought the jump controls were crap too!

Go into options and change it to the circle button like in the 1st game.

I played a lot earlier - I didn't mean to but man the game has me hooked. I'm currently a level 35 knight.

4920194+_319efab1548c8e5db6f1ff388ddf02c0.gif

Ruin Sentinels ruining my life...

Now I know what you mean. They are history now, though :bouncy:

Same goes for the next boss. That 'one' was great. Amazing fight. First try and I won, but I used at least 20 life gems (which were a pain to use effectively; you'll see when you get there...or read the spoilers :p).

Once I entered the arena, I instantly knew what was coming to me.

Gargoyles. YES! Similar set of moves as the ones from Dark Souls.

This time, however, their number has increased. It starts with one thing, I don't know why, it doesn't even matter how hard you try but more were coming...at one point - and I crap you not - I fought against four of those beasts simultaneously.

Can't believe I managed to stay alive using the Estus Flask and Life Gems.

Perfect decision-making, perfect timing and sometimes a bit of luck helped me getting through without dying.

And that music. Nice throwback and already a hint of nostalgia.

Edited by drahkon

In the end I summoned two bros to help me with that boss fight. Guess my build is not especially flexible.

I quite like the click for jump, it actually captures the feeling of running and then putting in a certain particular bit of effort to make whatever gap you're aiming for.

Do this - I thought the jump controls were crap too!

Go into options and change it to the circle button like in the 1st game.

Cheers for that. Wish I'd known about it earlier, as I made the change but actually found it a bit weird having dash, roll and jump all on the circle button, so went back to the default. Having already played for 10+ hours with those jump controls, I just got used to it. :grin:

Anyway, I managed to defeat the first Boss last night (assuming it was the first boss, every bloody enemy in this game feels like a boss :heh:).

After trying and failing about 20 times as a hollow, I decided to make use of my first Human Effigy and return to human form, which did the trick. :)

There's a limited amount of Human Effigy items, right? :hmm:

I haven't really been using any items so far, as I'm not aware of which stuff is replaceable and what's limited/rare. ::shrug:

In the end I summoned two bros to help me with that boss fight. Guess my build is not especially flexible.

I had myself summoned twice and we were able to fight them one by one on the platform.

When I fought them alone, I could do the same thing.

A mate told me that his platform got destroyed pretty much at the beginning so he had to fight all three of them at once (no idea if that's true; from my experience, unless you fall of the platform yourself, you can defeat the first Sentinel easily up there without fear of others joining the fray).

There's a limited amount of Human Effigy items, right? :hmm:

I haven't really been using any items so far, as I'm not aware of which stuff is replaceable and what's limited/rare. ::shrug:

1. You can/should use those "souls items" (Souls of a Proud Knight, Soul of a Lost Undead, etc). They give souls (duh) and are of no other use (well, they had no other use in the older games, so I think this didn't change).
  2. Do not use Boss Souls just to get souls. In the older games you could use them to create Boss weapons.
  3. Healing consumables. Just use 'em. Most of them can be bought.
  4. Human Effigies...I don't really know much about them. I haven't used a single one so I have 17 or something in my inventory. I do, however, think they are limited.

Feel free to ask about other items :) Don't want to mention them myself because spoilers. :p

I had myself summoned twice and we were able to fight them one by one on the platform.

When I fought them alone, I could do the same thing.

A mate told me that his platform got destroyed pretty much at the beginning so he had to fight all three of them at once (no idea if that's true; from my experience, unless you fall of the platform yourself, you can defeat the first Sentinel easily up there without fear of others joining the fray).

Yes I beat the first one a dozen times, but shortly after beating him, the second one jumps up. Also manageable, but then the third one joins in. Unless you do insane damage to #2, you will end up fighting #2 and #3 together no matter what.

Anyway, not sure how you went from these guys to some gargoyles? The next boss I've found myself at is a big guy in Sinner's Rise... maybe I've missed another path....

What kind of build is everyone playing? I wish I'd gone for something more exciting but I decided to go for a basic high-dexterity build. Might re-spec when I get the chance.

Anyway, not sure how you went from these guys to some gargoyles? The next boss I've found myself at is a big guy in Sinner's Rise... maybe I've missed another path....

I've went into Sinner's rise and lit the bonfire, but I went back to the bonfire in The Lost Bastille (after the Sentinels) to check out a ladder.

So you haven't fought the Gargoyles, yet? You need a Pharros' Lockstone to open up the path.

You seem to be quite far into the game: Have you found the Red Sign Soapstone? I see sooooo many invasion summon signs, but I have not found this damn soapstone :(

What kind of build is everyone playing? I wish I'd gone for something more exciting but I decided to go for a basic high-dexterity build. Might re-spec when I get the chance.

High-strength, mid-dext.

Maybe I'll go for some pyromancy (i.e. I need attunement slots and upgrade the Pyromancy flame) sometime.

I've been meaning to catch up with the first Dark Souls for a while but is there any argument for just jumping straight to this? Keep in mind, I'm only ever going to play one or the other.

Faith build for me. Going for high miracle damage and healer. Plus looking for a decent weapon that stacks. My mace does but base is a bit low now.

I've been meaning to catch up with the first Dark Souls for a while but is there any argument for just jumping straight to this?

There's no argument against it :p Well, so far I can only think of one against it, but that would be spoilers for the first and the second game...

The Bell Keepers.

You get a ring. While wearing it and being near the Belfry area you can/will get summoned to another world as a Grey Phantom to defeat the invader of the Belfry Luna.

It sucks, though. First of all: it lags like shit (and no, it's not my internet connection :p ), but even worse: You have a chance of immediately fighting the world's master and the phantoms he summoned. Making it 2v1 or 3v1 and almost impossible for you to win.

There's also a chance of you invading the world while another Grey Phantom is already there making it 1v2.

Dark Souls is supposed to be difficult, but it is never impossible to win. This should also apply to PvP.

Of course, you could win a 2v1 or 3v1, but that's highly unlikely.

Right now, PvP is nothing for me unless they somehow balance things.

Maybe when I find the Red Sign Soapstone, things will be more enjoyable.

There's no argument against it :p Well, so far I can only think of one against it, but that would be spoilers for the first and the second game...

The Bell Keepers.

You get a ring. While wearing it and being near the Belfry area you can/will get summoned to another world as a Grey Phantom to defeat the invader of the Belfry Luna.

It sucks, though. First of all: it lags like shit (and no, it's not my internet connection :p ), but even worse: You have a chance of immediately fighting the world's master and the phantoms he summoned. Making it 2v1 or 3v1 and almost impossible for you to win.

There's also a chance of you invading the world while another Grey Phantom is already there making it 1v2.

Dark Souls is supposed to be difficult, but it is never impossible to win. This should also apply to PvP.

Of course, you could win a 2v1 or 3v1, but that's highly unlikely.

Right now, PvP is nothing for me unless they somehow balance things.

Maybe when I find the Red Sign Soapstone, things will be more enjoyable.

I actually won a 2v1 in the location you are talking about last night, which was nice. Not defeated the boss in the area yet though!

I actually won a 2v1 in the location you are talking about last night, which was nice.

You lucky bastard :p Whenever I have to fight against 2, I can only focus on one while the other is destroying me with spells :blank:

Edit: Made some progress today.

Beat the Lost Sinner. What a boring fight

:hmm: Very easy to dodge, nothing really special about him.

Don't have a good weapon, so it took a while, but it was really easy.

The Skeleton Lords.

Hm, maybe I took on this area too late? Was fairly easy, they didn't do a lot of damage.

If anyone's interested: Dark Souls II Guide

Can't wait to find out more and more about this game. Of course only after I have finished it twice.

Edit: Another area cleared, another boss down. This is simply amazing :D

Edit²: So...this just happened:

20140317_130808.jpg

I got summoned and was stuck in the ground :D

Edited by drahkon

Sign in to follow this