NEurope
CoolFunkMan

MGS V: Ground Zeroes

Good news everyone! Ground Zeroes features reversible cover artwork, and look what it is:

271990-header.jpg

Yay! :grin:

Good news everyone! Ground Zeroes features reversible cover artwork, and look what it is:

271990-header.jpg

Yay! :grin:

I read on gaf that the pal version doesn't have that.

Cancelled my order over the weekend, been meaning to. I don't see the point of buying a 3-4 hour intro to a game. I'd rather wait for the inevitable "complete edition" when Phantom Pain comes out.

info on IGN from leaked screens of GZ, suggests it will be 2015 before the Phantom Pain is out

I read on gaf that the pal version doesn't have that.

What?!

..... :blank:

.....FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

That sucks, it's not a proper MGS game unless it has Shinkawa's artwork on the box. :(

Seriously though, not sure what to think about this one. On the one hand, it does look amazing, and is getting generally positive reviews. On the other, it's a glorified demo, that's definitely not worth the asking price. Mind you, I'm holding out till I get my PS4 to get this anyway, plus inFamous: Second Son and Watch Dogs are my main priorities for that system.

So, how long do we reckon until this gets another price drop? :heh:

Bought it just now. :bouncy:

"Lolololollljejejej, you dumb shit, it's a glorified fucking demo, idiotlolololol1!11!!"

Tired of this shit :p

Currently listening to pre-mission cassette tapes and Paz's diary.

Hearing the new voice of Snake is weird, especially without seeing a face. But Sutherland does a hell of a job.

Looking forward to cutscenes. Curious to see how his voice works with Snake.

Edit: Goosebumps about 2 minutes in...the intro cutscene sets a really dark tone.

This started playing. Goosebumps!

Anyway, played for 5 minutes, i.e. just trying out the controls and getting spotted by the first guard :laughing: The FOX engine is superb and I've only seen the beginning.

Edited by drahkon

I have to say after seeing the Giant Bomb quick look I am super tempted to pick this up...

@bryanee I remember the other day during Titanfall play you mentioning you were getting this what did you think of it? Yes "did" rather than "do" because I'm assuming you finished it already :p

Finished it just now. Will try to give some impressions without spoilers (there's not much story going on, anyway - unless the cassette tapes, which I still have to find, give some more insight).

First of all: Yes, the price is steep. If you're not a die-hard MGS fan I'd say: Don't get it.

If you are, however, it is well worth the money: This I can say after one completion (101 minutes)!

Graphics

The FOX engine is impressive. Especially the lighting has blown me away.

Cutscenes look amazing...the final one before the credits, WOW!

Nothing more to say, really. Hope MGS won't be the only game series utilizing this beautiful technology.

Sound

Typical Metal Gear Solid sound. Near perfect.

Kiefer Sutherland

I like him as the new voice. Sure, David Hayter is something else but Sutherland manages to give Snake an even darker side; not with the voice per se. His line delivery is great.

I can understand that many won't agree with me, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Gameplay

Won't go much into detail.

Snake controls like a charm. Controls are a bit on the action side, but that doesn't change the fact that MGS is a stealth game.

And if it's true that Ground Zeroes gives us only a glimpse of what we can expect from The Phantom Pain, then I'm pretty sure it will be the perfect stealth experience.

I enjoyed it for what it was: An introduction to the new Metal Gear Solid. Again, 30€/$/£ is a lot, but I'm glad I spent it, and I'm only at 10% completion.

I'll leave you with a huge spoiler.

For the main part of the mission I tried to be stealthy. It worked quite good.

Once I freed Paz and had to carry her to a safe Landing Zone (which was quite a distance away) I turned into Rambo :D

And I have to say, those 5 minutes were some of the greatest I have ever spent with a video game.

Equipped with an SMG and Paz on my shoulders I ran through the base. Getting shot at from several angles, getting chased by an armored vehicle that used a big ass gun, I ran like hell. Eliminating several enemies on the way.

I managed to reach the Landing Zone - on the verge of dying. Got 10 seconds of "peace", called the helicopter and while waiting I defended Paz and myself from incoming soldiers.

As soon as I entered the chopper and flew away my heart slowed down.

Brief respite, and then bonfire.

The following cutscene - well, one part of it - was horrifying. Paz getting cut open to remove something.

It was gruesome and intense. I'm still processing it.

Kojima wasn't kidding when he said he'd cross some boundaries.

Now the wait for The Phantom Pain will be even more unbearable.

@bryanee I remember the other day during Titanfall play you mentioning you were getting this what did you think of it? Yes "did" rather than "do" because I'm assuming you finished it already :p

My copy hasn't even shipped yet. :(

My copy hasn't even shipped yet. :(

OH bums....well all the more titanfall time if it doesn't arrive by the weekend!!!

OH bums....well all the more titanfall time if it doesn't arrive by the weekend!!!

Speaking of TF if you're up for some games just PM me or something.

Speaking of TF if you're up for some games just PM me or something.

Yeah I'll likely not be on evenings this week you are till the weekend due to odd work schedule. Come Saturday though I'm all over Titanfall again.

Just finished it. It took just over an hour but I went in guns a blazing once I found a rocket launcher. I never was one for the stealthy approach.

Man, that scene with the bomb removal from Paz was brutal!

I can't believe she died after all that!

Dat whole ending scene though! What a tease. :D

I'll crack on with the other missions later and go searching for the tapes.

Just finished it. It took just over an hour but I went in guns a blazing once I found a rocket launcher. I never was one for the stealthy approach.

Man, that scene with the bomb removal from Paz was brutal!

I can't believe she died after all that!

Dat whole ending scene though! What a tease. :D

I'll crack on with the other missions later and go searching for the tapes.

I guess in some way the small size benefits getting all the collectables as it doesn't seem quite as daunting/boring as it can be in other world games where you are searching high and low for hours to finish everything off.

I like the gameplay, except the way you stick to walls now (or rather, you don't :P). I also found the voice acting extremely underwhelming, aside from Kiefer Sutherland but unfortunately Snake didn't have nearly as many lines as Kaz.

Regarding Paz's surgery, I thought it was pretty damn unrealistic but yeah it's a video game so whatever. The amount of time it took for her to recover so that she was actually standing straight was pretty stupid. I've had two laparotomies and I can tell that you won't be on your feet immediately after having your guts opened... twice! OH and what's up with Chico's 3.5mm audio socket in his chest? He listens to his heart with it? :D

I like the gameplay, except the way you stick to walls now (or rather, you don't :P). I also found the voice acting extremely underwhelming, aside from Kiefer Sutherland but unfortunately Snake didn't have nearly as many lines as Kaz.

Regarding Paz's surgery, I thought it was pretty damn unrealistic but yeah it's a video game so whatever. The amount of time it took for her to recover so that she was actually standing straight was pretty stupid. I've had two laparotomies and I can tell that you won't be on your feet immediately after having your guts opened... twice! OH and what's up with Chico's 3.5mm audio socket in his chest? He listens to his heart with it? :D

So how did you find Keifer Sutherland? I've heard that he is less gravely and more understated than Hayter was but maybe that is a good thing as the series is trying to go for that more gritty and less theatrical take.

Yeah, I thought Paz getting to her feet was a bit much after what she just went through. Then again, it's Metal Gear, so it was probably nanomachines. :D

So how did you find Keifer Sutherland? I've heard that he is less gravely and more understated than Hayter was but maybe that is a good thing as the series is trying to go for that more gritty and less theatrical take.

I don't care for him to be honest. For one, I just keep thinking of 24/Jack Bauer every time he speaks. Another thing is that i've been playing MGS since the original PSOne game and for me Hayter is Snake. It's like when a different actor takes over the role of another in a movie. It just doesn't sit right with me. It wouldn't have been as bad if Big Boss had been voiced by someone different from the start but switching them now just seems wrong.

Yes, it's definitely like watching an episode of 24, there's no helping it. Just replace Kaz with Chloe.

Thank god I haven't seen 24 :p

I knew nobody would agree with my opinion of Sutherland as Snake. I like him.

I don't particularly dislike him! It's just a whole different beast from David Hayter's Snake. Then again, the character is different as well if you can just forget that Hayter did do the previous Big Bosses...