NEurope
Wii

Nintendo blocking 18+ rated Wii U eShop content at certain times

So I'm confused here. Is there a reason why Nintendo can't filter out IP address's and check the region someone is from when they use the eshop, and simply make it so non-german users can download content at anytime? Or Is this law so strict that anyone from any region has to abide by German law when the content is on a German server even if that person isn't in Germany...? And if that's the case, why can't they move the location of the eshop servers and its content to a different region to stop this problem?

Well that neoGAF link said that the law actually stated there had to be either a time restriction or some sort of technological system in place to prevent access to minors

And to further complicate this,

Is there any truth to the rumours that setting up a second NNID with the region set to Australia will allow access?

Might try tonight, but if so then surely they could host the rest of the pal region through Australia

I don't think so as those services are not based in Germany

Thats good to hear, had images of me trying to watch The Walking Dead or Dollhouse and getting content blocked warnings lol.

What did said notice say?

Also, why not, as many folks have already said - just run the content out of another country?

What did said notice say?

Also, why not, as many folks have already said - just run the content out of another country?

Host it in the US Nintendo offices, by pass the law that's going to hurt Nintendo in Europe.

There are solutions, just Nintendo aren't looking into them, or they are but aren't saying which isn't good either as its generating bad press and animosity, if they are looking for solutions they should say

but i suspect they won't bother until its a huge issue

I'd certainly agree. If they really want this to be a big console, and appeal to a huge range(including the 'mature' market) and 3rd party devs, they need to show they're able to nip problems like this in the bud pretty quick. Admittedly I know/do nothing to do with game design, but if I was choosing a platform for a product aimed at a mature audience; I would certainly think twice about putting it on a system that only allows access between 11pm and 3am, it's a window that'll hugely miss the market.

Something like Limbo is a digital release and rated PEGI 18, so if anything you're really limiting indie developers who's main throughput is digital. Which is pretty unforgivable.

Something like Limbo is a digital release and rated PEGI 18, so if anything you're really limiting indie developers who's main throughput is digital. Which is pretty unforgivable.

Damn, now I see the severity of the problem.

Limbo is awesome stuff.

I cannot imagine this restriction to exist much longer, but then again, it is NINTENDO we are dealing with. Next thing you know Shibata will let us know a year from now that they've done all they could and that it'll change in 3 months from then...:shakehead

Damn, now I see the severity of the problem.

Limbo is awesome stuff.

I cannot imagine this restriction to exist much longer, but then again, it is NINTENDO we are dealing with. Next thing you know Shibata will let us know a year from now that they've done all they could and that it'll change in 3 months from then...:shakehead

This is exactly what I'm saying. Daft's just given a perfect example of a game, well received, that if put on Wii U would only be available for four of the most inactive hours of the day and will likely do terribly. If I were a developer, even if porting wasn't that big of a cost, I wouldn't bother because I'd think there's no point as the market won't realistically get to see it. Nintendo are apparently trying to support indies, but this isn't a good sign. It's been an issue for more than a week now, with very little official word or resolution of the matter. The digital age is making time more and more of the essence - if they want to move into digital distribution they need to be aware of and keep up with that.

On a complete aside though...how does it do/figure the time limits? Local system time, or does it know where you're connecting from and work it out from there? Just thought about it as I realised Fused is in a different time zone? How do they know who's who/in what?

On a complete aside though...how does it do/figure the time limits? Local system time, or does it know where you're connecting from and work it out from there? Just thought about it as I realised Fused is in a different time zone? How do they know who's who/in what?

Content is unlocked between 23:00 and 03:00 CET/CEST or GMT/BST, I don't remember which. And I don't remember where I read it now, so don't have a source.

Edited by are1981