NEurope
Wii

Nintendo blocking 18+ rated Wii U eShop content at certain times

This isn't new, it's been happening on the 3DS shop for a while. It was posted about in the eShop thread. Although it had only really been for trailers.

I actually thought this was just for trailers too, but clearly that's not the case.

Why did it take people so long to notice this?

It was one of first little weird things I noticed on launch day.

Let's be honest, no-one in here cares about it as much as they're letting on. Or maybe someone did want to download ZombiU for £55, I don't know.

Not trying to defend Nintendo on this, I think it is a stupid move.... but I do wonder why this has become an issue now when they've been doing on the 3DS eShop which I have posted about in that thread....what...two months ago?

K, on the 3DS it only effected trailers... but I don't think there are any 18 rated games for download on there anyway.

From the 3DS eShop I kinda expected this.... surprised nobody else did?

But yeah like I said in the 3DS eShop thread and others have mentioned here, I can't see why this can't come up the parental controls.

Hell we even entered our Date of Birth to set up our NNID.... it should have this info already.

Is it just Europe this happens though? Maybe it Nintendo being extra stupidly cautious over some silly EU laws like how they now let retailers set console prices now instead of giving RRP's

EDIT:

Oh and @Wii, if you were goimg to make a thread for this topic there was no need to repost it in two other threads too. Which is why I deleted the posts there so any convo on this topic will be focused here and not divided over 3 threads

@Mokong X\-C Thanks wasn't sure if it should've been in general discussion or eShop discussion, it was relevant to both. It was only afterwards I thought it was important enough and deserving of it's own thread and discussion as evidenced by the response. Thanks for making things neat and tidy.

Edit: This is Europe only. Nintendo's European headquarters are in Germany and they have been very careful in the past releasing 18+ games and some indeed have been censored. Germany are more strict than other European countries. I think Nintendo might be wary of falling foul of German laws and facing fines. Just a guess.

Edited by Wii

11pm to 3am is simply ridiculous and it's Europe only?? Fucking unbelievable how Nintendo still find new and inventive ways to fuck us over

Boo fucking hoo, at least you guys get fucking 18+ games.

Why what console doesn't get 18+ games? We should be so grateful, it really is a privilege.

This is really a stupid decision. As long as they don't apply it to DLC I'm guessing I won't really be affected though. There's no way I'm paying the prices they're asking.

Why what console doesn't get 18+ games? We should be so grateful, it really is a privilege.

Australia until recently wouldn't allow the sale of games rated 18

This is really a stupid decision. As long as they don't apply it to DLC I'm guessing I won't really be affected though. There's no way I'm paying the prices they're asking.

That's also not their fault. Retailers have Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft by the throat with this and have it so that if they try to sell for under RRP on their own stores, they will stop pushing/selling their products in their stores

I don't see why it wouldn't affect dlc unless they change the 'rules' as its all 18+ content. :/

That's also not their fault. Retailers have Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft by the throat with this and have it so that if they try to sell for under RRP on their own stores, they will stop pushing/selling their products in their stores

I'm aware of the politics involved but it doesn't change the fact that they're over priced. Valve, Microsoft and Sony get around the issue by having regular sales.

I don't see why it wouldn't affect dlc unless they change the 'rules' as its all 18+ content. :/

I was hoping DLC wouldn't be affected because you'd still need the game to use it. Bah. Will have to factor that into my future decisions about which platform to purchase a game on.

I'm 'hoping' that this gets amended in some way.

IMO companies should put reasonable steps in place to prevent the wrong age group accessing thing (such as the option for parenteral controls which has already been done) but this is too strict coz of the amount of genuine age group gamers it's going to effect. (CoD dlc keeps coming to mind)

Enforcement of age ratings etc should be down to the parents taking responsibility and making their own decision.

This is Europe only. Nintendo's European headquarters are in Germany and they have been very careful in the past releasing 18+ games and some indeed have been censored. Germany are more strict than other European countries. I think Nintendo might be wary of falling foul of German laws and facing fines. Just a guess.

Oh, come on, Germany, first the austerity measures, now our gaming?! [/Portuguese Man]

The trailers i dont care about, Nintendo and everyone who makes games now have their own youtube channel which i can access any time of day even on the WiiU gamepad so seems a bit of a stupid thing to put in place.

Restricting the purchase of games and dlc however is totally unacceptable, we have family filter controls, we provided our age and you can password protect each user account with a different password. I dont want my 13 year old step son playing 18 rated games, but why am i not allowed to buy the games for my own account? This is short sighted and the press will rip them apart on this which will put people off buying the machine. On Xbox Live i can lock down my step sons account so that it wont play games over a 15 cert, so why isnt this a feature for us? If Germany is such a huge issue then treat them as a different region like they do with China and Korea, dont lump us all in these stupidly strict laws.

For the record im usually the guy sticking up for everything Nintendo does but i literally cant bring myself to even try with this.

The trailers i dont care about, Nintendo and everyone who makes games now have their own youtube channel which i can access any time of day even on the WiiU gamepad so seems a bit of a stupid thing to put in place.

Restricting the purchase of games and dlc however is totally unacceptable, we have family filter controls, we provided our age and you can password protect each user account with a different password. I dont want my 13 year old step son playing 18 rated games, but why am i not allowed to buy the games for my own account? This is short sighted and the press will rip them apart on this which will put people off buying the machine. On Xbox Live i can lock down my step sons account so that it wont play games over a 15 cert, so why isnt this a feature for us? If Germany is such a huge issue then treat them as a different region like they do with China and Korea, dont lump us all in these stupidly strict laws.

For the record im usually the guy sticking up for everything Nintendo does but i literally cant bring myself to even try with this.

It isn't their fault though. Due to the eShop being based in Germany, they have the German laws to follow

It isn't their fault though. Due to the eShop being based in Germany, they have the German laws to follow

Isnt Microsoft's european Xbox Live run from Germany too? When four (yeah four...) of my Xboxes died i had to send it over there to get repaired and when i called their Q&A hotline it diverted to a free German number.

Even if this isnt the case, the law of the country you live in always over rides any other regulation, so they only have to limit the german users and not everyone else. It is unfortunately a loop hole that a lot of file sharing sites based in Nordic countries get around being shut down.

Do they really though? I was only guessing when I made that suggestion. Are the laws that severe that you only have a 4 hour window for viewing and purchasing? Yet you can use the browser to view any of these videos or worse 24/7. There are other easier ways to restrict child access. Or is this Nintendo being Nintendo and anally retentive?

Do they really though? I was only guessing when I made that suggestion. Are the laws that severe that you only have a 4 hour window for viewing and purchasing? Yet you can use the browser to view any of these videos or worse 24/7. There are other easier ways to restrict child access. Or is this Nintendo being Nintendo and anally retentive?

It's something I've heard places other than here too so it's quite possible.

Well unless someone provides evidence that it's part of their 'laws' (I sincerely doubt), we can probably put this down to the usual Nintendo.

Let's be honest, no-one in here cares about it as much as they're letting on. Or maybe someone did want to download ZombiU for £55, I don't know.

This is the absolute truth.

Until Nintendo start being competitive with their online prices and make digital distribution a viable alternative, they can stick their eShop right up their warp pipe.

The price thing is the same problem on all other platforms: nobody wants to annoy the shops.

That's true.

They can all stick it up their collective warp pipes.

Publishers set their own prices. On the eShop, at least, and I presume it's the same elsewhere:

mTj4Z.jpg

It's the full game!