NEurope
Diageo

Youtube

You're probably thinking, "Two threads in 10 minutes, this guy must be trying to find any reason to avoid doing his assignments." Well you're right.

But anyway, there doesn't seem to be a general Youtube thread and yet it's popularity has increased in a way that it has nearly replaced TV for some people. Especially the teenage demographic, which is probably not crowding to get in this forum. But anyway, I think there's so much to discuss about Youtube.

Many people here have uploaded youtube videos, some even creating webshows. Is it anyone's passion to become a youtube celebrity? Does anyone love making videos?

There's also the financial side. People can make serious money from Youtube, and for a select lucky few, fairly easy to accomplish. There's no need for big budgets or incredible performances.

Another facet is the current youtubers, are there any that you find absolutely riveting to watch. I know I would like to get to know some more interesting channels and hear some recommendations.

Lastly is the technological side of it. The amount of information that is uploaded to it every day, the enormous amounts of servers required to keep it running. The trend of Youtube videos receiving more views than television programmes with massive budgets. Is this the new way to distribute content?

Basically, I like Youtube and want to talk to people about it.

Well, we still don't have the youtube partnership programme in Finland, which sucks major balls. Little monetary incentive would certainly boost my video productivity...

I thought partnerships were just for those with big views, and that anyone can monetise their videos as long as they have an adsense account?

I know that my friend created one video in a shared account we have and I was able to monetise it. It only got like 80 views though (it's

if you want to see it), so we didn't get any money, but I'm thinking anyone can do it now. Maybe it's only in certain countries though.

Does anyone know roughly how many views you need to get in order to get moneys?

I tend to just use Youtube as a way to watch other people's videos. I have a few vids on my account, but usually it's just as a way to share them with people i know, rather than to a wider audience.

Want to get a shit load of views? Do something on a game first and post it. I got 30,000 views on an off-screen Sonic video just because nobody had posted a video of the best ending yet. Too late to make money out of it but I think it may have been possible.

I've had about 200,000 views on videos on my channel. I've had a couple of emails about advertising but I've never really given it any serious thought.

I use YouTube every so often. I've uploaded a few random things. In terms of watching, I rarely to to YouTube itself - I mainly watch YouTube videos embedded elsewhere.

My more popular videos:

10,000 views on a video of my teacher singing a song and hitting himself with a tin lid - It's currently set to private as he asked for it to be removed (we asked his permission first).

30,000 and 45,000 views on Maximo Park songs.

90,000 views on a 3-second Portal 2 clip.

The highest one was a surprise - I uploaded the theme song from a cartoon my brother and sister liked. 424,000 views so far.

I always thought about making YouTube videos, but I'm a bit lacking in ideas and confidence.

Also, I got the monetise alert thing, but considering the content isn't mine, I thought it was best to not use it.

You both should do it for some of your videos, not all. There will be no legal action against you. The most that happens, the advertisements might be removed, funds be suspended or the soundtrack might be taken off the video. Not for that 400k theme song or the Maximo Park songs, but the portal clip etc definitely.

Making videos, why not give it a shot? Do ones where you're just narrating, not on camera and you'll feel more confident. Plus you can cut it up and re-record until you're happy with it.

Check out this series, Far Lands or Bust. This guy Kurt makes a Let's Play series of himself walking to the Far Lands in Minecraft. For those out of the know, that's an area 12,550,820 blocks from the centre of the map at spawn. Walking there takes roughly 820 hours of real life time.

In his first video, he's just playing Minecraft, hasn't come up with the idea of travelling yet, a little bit shy, not very confident.

Now, 195 episodes later, he's made $85k for Childs Play charity through donations alone (not advertising) and this guy's confidence on the mic has transformed. He has freakin' catchphrases and fans making him t-shirt designs.

I follow some of the bigger YouTube stars and was inspired to try my hand at vlogging through them. I still toy with the idea of doing, I dunno, something on YouTube, a series or an LP or something, but so far they're just ideas.

My most watched video is one of my friend spanking another friend. Disturbing.

I have 2 youtube channels. One for myself and one for my music( which is the one in my signature and logo in my avatar) http://www.youtube.com/user/turrattack/videos

The name turrattack is a mixture between the videogames "turrican' and "pacattack... or tetris attack or whatever)

I'm using this account to showcase my more retro electronic tracks like so

but I haven't really given it enough time to advertise it or promote. What i've done in this very post is the most I've ever done to help myself.

I just dont like bothering people...

I always wanted to wait until I have perfected my composition skill too. But i never seem to have time these days.

Edited by mcj metroid

Right now I'm aware of j7's post in the funny thread about self-promotion, but this fits so here I am.

Most weeks my family and I get together on a Monday evening and make a little video aboutt he events of the previous week. I upload the video to youtube every week. We've been doing for about a year and a half now. I think there are a couple of plus points:

• Grandparents/aunts/uncles/etc that don't live near us like to see it.
  • I think of it as a cool little project for the family.
  • It's a nice record of events that have happened to us.
  • It boosts my kids' confidence. My boy never really needed a confidence boost but I can see a difference in the weay my girl chats to the camera, and that's nice.

I upload to http://www.youtube.com/user/pikepikepikepike?feature=guide then I link to it on http://ldsfhe.tumblr.com/ (which automatically updates my twitter feed) and then I stick a link on Facebook. Ha, writing that makes it sound well overkill. Oh well.

Right now I'm aware of j7's post in the funny thread about self-promotion, but this fits so here I am.

Most weeks my family and I get together on a Monday evening and make a little video aboutt he events of the previous week. I upload the video to youtube every week. We've been doing for about a year and a half now. I think there are a couple of plus points:

• Grandparents/aunts/uncles/etc that don't live near us like to see it.
  • I think of it as a cool little project for the family.
  • It's a nice record of events that have happened to us.
  • It boosts my kids' confidence. My boy never really needed a confidence boost but I can see a difference in the weay my girl chats to the camera, and that's nice.

I upload to http://www.youtube.com/user/pikepikepikepike?feature=guide then I link to it on http://ldsfhe.tumblr.com/ (which automatically updates my twitter feed) and then I stick a link on Facebook. Ha, writing that makes it sound well overkill. Oh well.

Very nice idea, and good videos. One hint: put some kind of titles there, unless you really don't want any "outside" traffic. I don't think anyone searches for just plain dates, so it's rather impossible for people to accidentally stumble upon your channel...

Youtube is a wonderful video resource, managed to dig out many old TV shows that i liked to watch as a child. As for the other side of Youtube, the videos i tend to upload include.

• Video Blogs
  • Reviews
  • Trips

I did post a drunken video of me reviewing some cheese once, it's still there now scoring hits. And there is a video of me singing along to a few songs, these are set to private as i havn't got around to deleting them as of yet.

What i do like seeing are projects people have, Mokong's channel is one i do like to watch. His videos are always interesting to watch. I'll have to have a look at yours @Mr_Odwin as well.

If anyone wants to have a check on mine, i think the link to my channel is in my sig below.

Very nice idea, and good videos. One hint: put some kind of titles there, unless you really don't want any "outside" traffic. I don't think anyone searches for just plain dates, so it's rather impossible for people to accidentally stumble upon your channel...

I use tags, that's enough I think. Though, as you guessed, my primary concern is not to generate outside traffic.

My most watched video is one of my friend spanking another friend. Disturbing.

You just know people are masturbating to it.

I'm sure your friends think it's flattering, though.

WARNING: Long post is LONG

Tip for anyone who posts videos of clips of gameplay and wondering if you can monetise them. Look into a "Network Partnership" with someone like Machinima, it is not a Youtube partnership and you don't earn through adsense. Networks have their own ways of sorting out payments (I don't know full details as I'm not part of a Network)

With a network like Machinima they'll handle any copyright stuff with games publishers (I think they give a portion of your vids earnings to the publishers). Through a Network is as far as I know the ONLY way to monetise vids with gameplay footage...unless you can get direct permission from the publisher :heh:

But you gotta be careful with Networks, as they make you sign a contract which could try to tie your channel in for life!

As for me on Youtube, as I said I'm not with a Network, I'm currently a Youtube Partner. I've thought about looking into joining a network but I don't see any extra benifit from it. Apparently Networks are meant to promote your content more to help you get more views. I need to try research it more to see what are all the pros and cons vs a YT Partnership. I've known a few people who just jumped at the chance for a Network Partnership cause they couldn't get a YT one and later regretted it.

For now I'm happy enough with my YT partnership, I get some money every month from it...though not as much now as I used to and my views are going down (due to some changes YT has made...I'll detail further down).

But I'm also not making videos as regularly as I used to. Mainly due to time taken by the family. I also have some "technical" issues, where to use my Green Screen I need good weather to get the natural light through the window. I don;t have any studio type lighting (I also just record in my sitting room :heh:) and the rooms ceiling lights don't seem to agree with my camera :mad:

The last year I'd say I;ve been getting around 70 euro a month sometimes higher (upto maybe 100-120 euro) but there's also been a few months where I didn't get anything...you have to earn at least 70 euro (~100 US dollars) before they send payments, any less and it rolls over to the next month.

Guess this year I;ve been pretty lucky as the payments I did get went towards my Wii U. If I didn't have teh YT Partnership I wouldn't have been able to get a Wii U :D

About 2 years ago though I was averaging just over 100 euro a month, remember getting something like 200+ one month and a few months in the 180-190 euro range.

That has dropped a lot since though as I said before.

My best time was when Youtube had their "regional" sites. Like Youtube.ie, Youtube.co.uk and so on. So whenever someone in Ireland went to YT it defaulted to the Irish version of the site. I had a number of my vids featured on the home page of that which really upped my views and subs. I think it was actually only because of that regionalisation of Youtueb that I got my Partnership. As when they opened Youtube.ie I actually got offered a Partnership from the .ie admins. So likely if it wasn't for that short period of regionalisation I wouldn't have a partnership, haha. Also during that time when they had "Top lists" for each region/country. I was for a time one of the top ten most subbed on Youtube Ireland....starting dropping fast though as "famous" people such as Westlife started opening channels and other "normal" Youtubers started getting big and overtaking me :(

But about 2 years ago I think it was they dropped the regional sites and centralised everything back to Youtube.com which hurt my view count with the loss of the .ie homepage. They also now don't feature vids on the homepage. There's "recomended" which is based on vids you've previously viewed which is good but the lack of a proper featured spot makes it harder for smaller partners like me to get noticed.

Sometimes on a video play page on top of the recommended vids there is one "featured" vid, no idea how vids get in there, I think it might just be partner vids related to the current vid playing, which means I guess it just pot luck if one of my vids (for example) ended up there.

Another thing that hurt my view count was when they removed the "Most Discussed" lists. Before when I;d post a vid and my firends would comment it would find itself on some "Most Discussed" list of the day, be it for the category or in "Ireland" and I'd get some click throughs from there. But they got rid of that a few years ago too.

I used to regulary get 300+ views on a vid on first day of posting, now I'm lucky if I can get that in a week or a month :(

I guess I could do better if I could find the time to really concentrate on making vids and get back to more regular uploading. And if I could sort out some of my technical limitations. I've got lots of ideas for (IMO) good vids, the problem is getting them out of my head and into a script and then producing them.

As for my own stats.

In my 6 years on YT my total views for all vids are 5.8million

My most viewed vid has over 3 million of those views with my 2nd most viewed vid just 10% of that at 380,000 views.

That most viewed vid of mine seems to average about 50-60 thousand views a month with 2nd place monthly round 3000

What i do like seeing are projects people have, Mokong's channel is one i do like to watch. His videos are always interesting to watch.

Thanks dude... don't forget to comment on stuff after you watch ;)

Think you missed the last few :D

Edited by Mokong

Thanks dude... don't forget to comment on stuff after you watch ;)

Think you missed the last few :D

I knew i forgot something, if i remember when i get home i'll put some comments down.

I want to start making youtube videos and even have a few ideas. I started making one with a friend of mine but halfway through filming he became busy, I don't know if he got bored or doesn't care any more but we haven't done anything else. I was thinking of doing a comedy video on the laziness of college students but I'm going to wait until after exams to try that out. Also I want to make an AC3 multiplayer guide because no one seems to have done that yet but I need to buy something to record the screen and I don't have any money right now.

I can't tell if you're trying to make a bad joke but AC has had multiplayer since Brotherhood and it's a lot of fun. And there have been plenty of people who play it on youtube and get loads of views.

Yes, attempt at a bad joke. When I think of Assassin's Creed, multiplayer is the very last thing I think about.

I was thinking of doing a comedy video on the laziness of college students but I'm going to wait until after exams to try that out.

Heh, irony. :heh:

Yes, attempt at a bad joke. When I think of Assassin's Creed, multiplayer is the very last thing I think about.

Well I guess a guide would be a perfect thing for you. ;)

Edited by Diageo