NEurope
MoogleViper

Rural vs Urban

I live in the city, and I drive to all those places. How do you get back from the Supermarket with a dozen bags and no car?

Backpack. I walk 1.4 miles with my shopping every Monday.

Here's a question: How many of you urban/rural people have experienced both sides of the coin?

Well, I've never lived permanently in a city, but I've stayed in cities several times. It's possible, if I ever were to live in a city for a longer time, that I'd get used to it, but I can't imagine I'll ever feel as comfortable there as I do in the countryside.

^ I used to do a weekly trip to Aldi - 4 mile round. Always ended up carrying entirely unsensible amounts of food and getting home absolutely knackered! But at least I'd saved £20 ^_^

I did text a friend in Scotland (which is one big village, right?) recently saying "I want to a horror film about city people who go to the country. Do you know how terrifying quietness is for us?" as I was back home and it was eeirly quiet.

American Werewolf in London is close! Pretty much all the city-mouse-country-mouse movies I can think of end up with a distinctly Royston Vasey tone.

Backpack. I walk 1.4 miles with my shopping every Monday.

Mmm. And if you have a wife and 3 kids down the line?

The woman does the shopping.

But, seriously, I'll probably decide to learn how to drive when is kid is on the way.

Here's a question: How many of you urban/rural people have experienced both sides of the coin?

My home village, Balfron, is pretty desolate. It's part of a cluster of villages that all go to the same school that is in Balfron because it's the 'middle' village. Half way between Glasgow and Stirling.

There's one bus an hour to Glasgow, and that takes an hour and is an extremely old, uncomfortable bus. There's also one an hour to Stirling, but God knows why anyone would want to go there.

We have two pubs, both awful, a small Co-Op, chippy and bakery. If I want to visit a friend in a neighbouring village and have a drink I have to pay the extortionate bus fair and have to get the last bus at 10:50 (if I'm Stirling side, 12:20 Glasgow side).

The scenery is great, everyone is so friendly and you don't have to worry about anything in the village.

I now live in Partick (West end of Glasgow) and this is my bedroom and living room window view so I really can't complain about that. There aren't many places in Glasgow you get a nice view. That is the West of Scotland Cricket Club, home of the first even International football match. Sky Sports News had a feature on it last week because it was the anniversary.

I think the West end of Glasgow is perfect for me because it isn't as busy as the City Centre and much quieter at night. I hate the sirens that go on all night.

It's good for getting home from nights out, a taxi costs £7 compared to £30 back to Balfron. The transport links are fantastic (but I still drive a lot of places...). I can get home to Balfron in 45 mins in the car or about an hour on the train/bus (which I never do).

I live in the city, and I drive to all those places. How do you get back from the Supermarket with a dozen bags and no car? The cinema is way out on the outskirts and I'm not waiting for a bus and a tram to get there, especially when it costs £3.80 per person.

Btw 6 mins to Worksop 20 mins to Sheffield, you don't live in Dinnington/Anston do you?

Yeah, unless you live right in the centre, you have to drive to at least some of them. In fact that's probably a benefit of a small town. In Aber I had all of those within a 10 minute walk.

People seem to think because it's all connected, the distance doesn't matter. I was watching TV a few years ago, and they were talking about the northern urban belt (from Manchester/Liverpool across to Hull). And they were talking about the possibility of it becoming one super city, all connected. The the guy said, "If it were all one city, then you could have so much. You could have somebody living in Hull, but working in Manchester." It's still the same distance whether it's all one city or not. And if it is one city, traffic will be worse so it would take even longer to commute.

Also as Strider said, the other side, Mansfield way.

My mum couldn't drive, so to feed us all we'd get a taxi back from the shops (fortnightly trip) or push the trolley home. Had to figure it into the expense, but it's a commonly done thing, and works out a lot cheaper than paying for a car if money's tight (which it was).

I'm an (sub)Urban boy, through and through. Whilst I don't know how I'd feel about being right up in central london, I quite like where I am; though that's probably just by default of having been here all my life. I'll admit, I AM rather ignorant of rural life; I had no idea you lived like that! I don't think it would be for me, I always need a bit of bustle, and some stuff nearby. The city spoilt me, I guess.

I'm definately a rural person. i've never lived in a proper city-type place. (Well that's not quite true, i've lived in Gaberone and Castries, but they're hardly bustling).

The closest i've come to a city since coming to the UK is Leamington, which is tiny. You can walk from one end to the other, but that's why i like it. It has shops and restaurants galore, but you don't need a car to live here. Perfect size i think.

I would hate to live in London or somewhere large like that. i'm happy to visit every so often, but i couldn't put up with the crowds and traffic etc. Even Leamington seems crowded when i go back to Wales.

Pretty important to me: Urban = Fibreoptic Cable.

Actually that was something I meant to include in my first post. Our broadband is shit. 600kb/s on a good day, and we've only had broadband for about 4/5 years.

I quite like where I am; though that's probably just by default of having been here all my life.

To be fair I think that's probably 80% of it. People are (in general) naturally more comfortable with what they're familiar with.

I intend to hire my underachieving sibling as a chauffeur.

I've lived in close proximity to London all my life and can quite confidently say I would never be able to function in a country setting. Knowing a variety of shops, experiences and vast quantities of pollution are only a short train ride away makes me feel very... safe.

My mum couldn't drive' date=' so to feed us all we'd get a taxi back from the shops (fortnightly trip) or push the trolley home. Had to figure it into the expense, but it's a commonly done thing, and works out a lot cheaper than paying for a car if money's tight (which it was).[/quote']

There's a new service called 'City Car Club'. You pay a one off membership fee and then can rent cars that are dotted around various locations in the city. You pay for the time you use it (£5.70 an hour + £0.23 / mile for a small car) so if you're doing a supermarket trip it can work out quite cheap.

It might not be cheaper in your specific circumstance but I can definitely see how it would really benefit some people.

One off membership fee? Looks like it's £60 a year on their site....

Last time I checked it was just a one-off fee. Must've changed it. Regardless, £60 a year is still far cheaper than all the costs associated with owning a car.

Last time I checked it was just a one-off fee. Must've changed it. Regardless, £60 a year is still far cheaper than all the costs associated with owning a car.

And I imagine another big cost in a city, parking.

Most big supermarkets deliver these days too, and the delivery charge is not too expensive.

Or be strong like I am and carry all your chocolate and wine yourself!

I agree with most people on the Urban view point, particularly on the whole convenience side.

When I lived in Liverpool, my flat was in the student nightclub area next to Liverpool 1 shopping centre. Within a 4 minute walk I could reach all the good bars and shops, the train station, the underground, a large Tesco supermarket, theatres, restaurants, the docks, museums, an independent cinema and many more. There was always something happening in Liverpool, you could feel the buzz. I was always attending events, such as the 'bombed out church' had a free open air picnic and black and white film showing every week.

Now that I live in Sheffield, I don't feel the same buzz. I feel a warmth from the people, but there's not much going on. In fact, Dan and I have been starting to think of alternative places to live.

Liverpool is nice, like Manchester. Manchester has the right mix of bars, restaurants and museums, and a really great uni (especially for biosciences). Plus it's always been home for me.

Or be strong like I am and carry all your chocolate and wine yourself!

But how are you going to carry back the 44 litres of unleaded petrol you just spent £60 on???

Oh right...

Now that I live in Sheffield, I don't feel the same buzz. I feel a warmth from the people, but there's not much going on. In fact, Dan and I have been starting to think of alternative places to live.

Consider Newcastle!

In all seriousness it's a pretty great place to live, especially Tynemouth on the coast.

Don't consider Southampton :heh: