NEurope

I took the dog for a walk in the snow earlier but after about 20mins, I decided to turn around otherwise the route I use is an hour on good day. It kept getting stuck in her paws and she couldn't walk so I'd have to go over to her and sit in the snow whilst I removed it from her feet since she was already sitting down unable to walk properly.

Oh, snow, is it? We don't care. The horizontal downpour we're experiencing here in Portugal's windiest city right now is a perfectly acceptable substitute!

Oh, snow, is it? We don't care. The horizontal downpour we're experiencing here in Portugal's windiest city right now is a perfectly acceptable substitute!

Wouldn't that be sidepour? :heh:

"Light snow" they said. Shouldn't have bothered going in today, had to come back at 2 on account of shitty trains. :)

Don't you guys have winter tires? Or is the winter temperature usually above zero so you don't use them?

Of course we have winter tyres!

We just have highly polished roads. It's very silly.

Attempted to come home from campus today at 12, after they issued a severe weather warning.

After waiting for a bus for over an hour, getting a lift, walking a couple of miles, and then finally hitching a lift with the most awesome taxi driver who gave us and a couple of other randomers (for free!) we finally got home 3 hours later.

Snow is hell. Still, bought a sleigh on the way home for the weekend! :D

Why on earth do the airports close?

Countries like Canada, Iceland, Norway, Finland etc... must have snowy conditions all the time, so it can't be that they can't fly in it? How do they keep their runways open... snowploughs?... in which case, fine limit snowploughs across the country, but airports should always have some, keep them open and safe.

Heikki Kovalainen a Finnish F1 driver tweeted this the other day...

Heikki Kovalainen ‏@H_Kovalainen

Flying to Helsinki, plane getting ready to take off!

BAkUZ0zCYAEizdq.jpg

Edited by Retro_Link

578459_10152486678415157_2069312439_n.jpg

I'd only been parked up for 3 hours.

582467_10152486695170157_264358231_n.jpg

Miserable commute home.

555172_10152486681010157_589792518_n.jpg

I found an ice wand, but then I broked it.

A little unfair considering I'm currently living in a city that gets a fuck load of snow, but I took a picture of the snow here just to join in with the snaps

553504_10152433511975720_1596456955_n.jpg

Why on earth do the airports close?

Countries like Canada, Iceland, Norway, Finland etc... must have snowy conditions all the time, so it can't be that they can't fly in it? How do they keep their runways open... snowploughs?... in which case, fine limit snowploughs across the country, but airports should always have some, keep them open and safe.

Because the majority of the UK airports have not invested in equipment and provisions to tackle snow. Mainly because it costs a lot of money and we rarely get bad snow to make it worthwhile. The last time we really had bad snow was December 2010 so 2 years ago. They don't see it as cost effective. The countries you mention get regular snowfall so it is worth them investing in it.

However, Gatwick did spent lots of money on snow ploughs, de-icers for the planes and runways after 2010 snow. And on Friday which airport happened to be one of the only southern ones that remained open? Yeah that's right Gatwick.

We'll see what happens tomorrow. Heathrow have already started cancelling flights due to the predicted snowfall but Gatwick say they will remain open and operate as normal as they can. Yes there are going to be some delays but they hope to keep the flow of planes going.

Gatwick have different owners to Heathrow and I bet those owners are smiling at the good press they are getting compared to Heathrow this time!

EDIT: Damn that was a BORING post! Sorry. Errmmm SNOW yay I love snow. :)

Edited by Platty

We've got more snow planned for tomorrow. It's going to start right from 9 til around 6. It'll be interesting to see how parents are going to collect their kids from school, as it's meant to be heavy at around midday. :hmm:

This is going to be fuuuuun.

So that's why you're called @Dog\-amoto, you have the best dog gifs : D

Still no snow up in Glasgow. Was snowing very lightly earlier on but that's stopped. Not expecting any either.

Gutted, I'd love a snow day!

Not much snow here, mainly because there is no rainfall. Because it is certaintly cold enough. Way too cold. The only snow that is here is the occasionally spot of snow from last year.

Just checked the forecast and I'm not even the slightest surprised that it will start raining after the minus turns plus. And lots of it.

Edited by Tales

Been snowing here all day and it's meant that I haven't been able to head through and do any work at uni. Damn :p

Still snowing now as well, and the wind has picked up a bit, which is beginning to get annoying as I'd like to be able to go out tomorrow and do stuff rather than be stuck at home doing bits and pieces.

It finally snowed in Dublin very early this morning, only to give way to a combination of sleet and rain.