NEurope

I am one of only 16 people out of close to 200 who came to the office today... Do I regret it?

55855046.jpg

36437529.jpg

Nope, getting paid to play in snow. If I had of stayed at home it would of been an unpaid day off. Fuck that.

It snowed rather "heavy"ish last week, hasn't really melted since. Leaded to some naturally trecharous travelling, especially walking up and down the bridge I must cross to get to work. But since hasn't snowed properly since. Was meant to be going hardcore last night as soooo many people wouldn't shut up about hoping they'd be snowed in so they couldn't drive to work. But nothing seems to have happened.

So yeah... No spit-roast of snowmen this year.

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

I am one of only 16 people out of close to 200 who came to the office today... Do I regret it?

What the hell, it's -25°C in here, and everyone's going to work / school just like normal.

What the hell, it's -25°C in here, and everyone's going to work / school just like normal.

27328413.jpg

Just wait until the queuepocalypse starts. Then we'll have our moment in the sun.

I swear to God, if I ever get to meet the prick who Ine rang this morning to let them know how difficult it was to get in, I will smack him in the mouth.

Awful even attempting to get to our work-places this morning. We have to deal with two big hills in order to get to her place, the cars just weren't having it this morning. We were sliding about all over the place. Only got up halfway on the second one before deciding it wasn't worth it and headed back.

I rang up my work, told them that it had taken me a whole hour to get to that hill and back, which on a normal day is only 5 minutes away. They were amazing about it. Only 8 kids actually turned up today. More staff than kids. Headteacher should really have told everyone not to even bother coming in as it was far too dangerous.

Ine rang up her work, only to have that prick tell her that "oh, you were at that hill, it's only a 20 minute walk from there." Idiot. Cars were sliding all over the place and could very easily slide onto the pavement and hurt someone. We counted at least 2 cars in front of us who did either hit or go onto the kerb. Even we almost mounted it. So, his solution was for Ine to "walk into town and get the bus." Walking about 25 minutes in the opposite direction of her workplace, in order to get the bus to attempt pretty much the same thing we did.

Got a text from her at around 11:20 telling me she was almost there. We left the house at half 7 this morning for her to start work at 8:30. The drive on a regular day is about 15 minutes. Sometimes it's just not even worth going in, you'd think a little common sense would prevail. Also, she's not actually working either, it's training.

I agree, it's fucking amazing. In places like Russia where snow is commonplace, a snow storm they just shrug and say "fuck it" and have some vodka. In England, a single snowflake hits the floor and suddenly the airports are closed and trains are delayed.

I swear to God, if I ever get to meet the prick who Ine rang this morning to let them know how difficult it was to get in, I will smack him in the mouth.

Awful even attempting to get to our work-places this morning. We have to deal with two big hills in order to get to her place, the cars just weren't having it this morning. We were sliding about all over the place. Only got up halfway on the second one before deciding it wasn't worth it and headed back.

I rang up my work, told them that it had taken me a whole hour to get to that hill and back, which on a normal day is only 5 minutes away. They were amazing about it. Only 8 kids actually turned up today. More staff than kids. Headteacher should really have told everyone not to even bother coming in as it was far too dangerous.

Ine rang up her work, only to have that prick tell her that "oh, you were at that hill, it's only a 20 minute walk from there." Idiot. Cars were sliding all over the place and could very easily slide onto the pavement and hurt someone. We counted at least 2 cars in front of us who did either hit or go onto the kerb. Even we almost mounted it. So, his solution was for Ine to "walk into town and get the bus." Walking about 25 minutes in the opposite direction of her workplace, in order to get the bus to attempt pretty much the same thing we did.

Got a text from her at around 11:20 telling me she was almost there. We left the house at half 7 this morning for her to start work at 8:30. The drive on a regular day is about 15 minutes. Sometimes it's just not even worth going in, you'd think a little common sense would prevail. Also, she's not actually working either, it's training.

Don't you guys have winter tires? Or is the winter temperature usually above zero so you don't use them?

Don't you guys have winter tires?

Winter tyres? HA!

We rarely have enough grit for more than two days of snow.

Snow's fun and pretty for about 2 minutes then I realise how much it fucks everything up and I wish it were gone. Bloody snow.

I love snow! I should have been in work today but last night, I messed up my leg really bad and now I'm in bed resting it up and looking out at the window to see a lot of snow coming down as well as a lot of snow on the ground. FOOK MY LIFE! :weep:

Hopefully, I'll be better tomorrow and I can go play in the snow! I must admit though, glad I'm not driving today! Just upset that I can't play in the snow.

Don't you guys have winter tires? Or is the winter temperature usually above zero so you don't use them?

Despite snow being more common over here recently, winter tyres have never been a thing that many people do - the climate hasn't generally neccessitated it. Our country seems terribly ill equipped to deal with it, as if it's some new alien force we were never aware of, le sigh.

(fun fact, I thought flink's post had said 'cats were sliding all over the place' - that would be quite hilarious)

*post*

I understand that employers are running an industry and whatnot, but it really irks me when they have no sympathy for conditions like this. What a cunt!

We had staff being phoned up telling them to let them know if they'd be able to make it to work tomorrow (today, rather). I know it's cold but it's not the end of the world! Wusses!

Says I with a twisted leg, resting in bed!

379322_10151262390846129_545277291_n.jpg

(fun fact, I thought flink's post had said 'cats were sliding all over the place' - that would be quite hilarious)

Cats don't slide.

funny-cat-hopping-in-snow.gif

My part of Sheffield wasnt too bad when i woke up this evening. Snow doesnt even bother me as much. I mean snow is pretty easy to walk in.

The problem is ice. Nothing is worse than ice.

The headteacher at the school where I work is always keen to stay open as much as possible when it snows, so I left for school at the normal time of 7 o'clock today. Journey took 20 minutes or so, which was a little longer than usual, but nothing too bad. At 7.30, the deputy head confirmed via text to everyone that school would be open, but by 7.50 it was closed. It then took me two and a half hours to get home. :(

Psh, winter tyres? When I was a little kid I once rode a tractor to kindergarten! :heh: It was costume day (Fastelavn), no way I'd miss that! :p

Story about employer being a prick.

This, however, I have no sympathy for.

Cats don't slide.

funny-cat-hopping-in-snow.gif

In other news, cats on ice/snow are my new favourite thing.

They're not very common at all here. I've looked into it and it seems to be something that is used a great deal in other European countries, but they're almost unheard of here.

This, however, I have no sympathy for.

In what way?

In what way?

The employer's response. It was clearly dangerous for you two to try to get to work. Hence why I called him a prick. :heh:

@Rummy @Fierce_LiNk You guys no use winter tires? Good lord...here it's October / November when everyone changes their tires, pretty much a necessity. But then again, the latitude's higher here and we're not a sea nation like you guys...

Denmark's a sea nation on the same latitude as (the northern part of) the UK, and winter tyres are completely standard at this time of year here as well.

Weather looks something like this in here now:

BA5JJm_CEAAwuEr.jpg:large

Sun + snow = awesome.

Indeed!

Haha, now that's badass *awards extra points for manliness*

I need all I can get! :p

5322260556_880584bf37.jpg

My thoughts exactly. :laughing: The same with Dog-amoto's Canada pic.

Left work at 11:45 today. The normally 1 hour journey home took me 2 hours 45.

There was also a car upside down on the A43. Reminds you how dangerous it can be.

I agree, it's fucking amazing. In places like Russia where snow is commonplace, a snow storm they just shrug and say "fuck it" and have some vodka. In England, a single snowflake hits the floor and suddenly the airports are closed and trains are delayed.

They also have winter tyres, snow ploughs, enough grit to actually grit the roads, and experience of that weather.

Seems to be coming down nicely in London. I think the transport network has held up fairly well in all fairness, I was only late by about 20 minutes this morning. Pretty good for someone relying on both overground and underground in THIS TORRENTIAL DOWNPOUR OF WHITE DEATH (headline stolen from tomorrow's Sun).

Banjo was scared at first and kept trying to get back in the house, but after 30 seconds he was running all over the place loving it.

bpk5.jpg