NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Londragon

Wii U AC Adapter/Gamepad AC Adapter

Hi all,

Hoping that my UK Wii U will be sent soon. For those of you that do not know I live in Taiwan, formerly a UK resident. I exported a UK Wii U, so that I could have an English experience on the console (and I can pay for eShop games via an UK credit card etc.). I had a Japanese Wii and it was a bit of a nightmare, especially playing text heavy games like Zelda, and forget about calibrating Wii remote sensitivity in FPS games.

Here's my conundrum; the UK Wii U comes packaged with AC adapters for both the Wii U console and the Gamepad. I take it that both of these power supplies are working at 240V/50Hz? Can someone check the bottom of them for me. I am really keeping my fingers crossed that they are for multiple electrical currencies, but then again the Wii Ac adapters were not.

As you see, Taiwan runs on the American/Japanese electrical system of 110V/60Hz. I wrote a lengthy email to Nintendo UK expressing my concerns and got this reply from customer support:

Thank you for your email.

The Nintendo Wii U console will be region locked as with its predecessor the Nintendo Wii. Region locking does include but is not limited to, the games released for the console, both physical and digital copies and use of online services will vary between regions.

Any console purchased in one region and being used in another may have an issue with the power supply. If you do not obtain a power supply for the console from the region you are using it in, you will have to use a pin/power converter, and the use of third party products such as this is not recommended by Nintendo.

The online services offered in each region on the console will require an internet connection from the same region. If you use the console outside of the region it was sold in you may find that you have limited or no internet functionality.

We hope this information answers any queries you may have and that you enjoy the Nintendo Wii U and any other Nintendo products.

Kind regards,

Dan

Nintendo UK

So, in summary they highly recommend the use of first party AC adapters, and I have looked everywhere, unsuccessfully at the current time. The USA Nintendo online store only deliver within their own country, and have a backlog of a few months.

I have emailed them recently and am waiting for a response.

It looks like it's going to be a waiting game, maybe for a 3rd party to start making them, but I have seen Nyko getting ready to launch a USB Gamepad cable, which may help me with that.

Charge-Link-from-Nyko-500x319.jpg

Any ideas?

The Wii U Gamepad AC adapter says 230V-50Hz on the bottom.

Update: The Wii U AC adapter says the same.

Edited by V. Amoleo
Update

The Wii U Gamepad AC adapter says 230V-50Hz on the bottom.

Update: The Wii U AC adapter says the same.

Thanks. Oh, well it looks like I may try my luck with a voltage converter in the short term, and then buy a proper ac adapter when it becomes available. I've got a few weeks before it arrives here.

You should be fine with the voltage converter. I used one with an import GameCube for years before getting my hands on a UK power lead. Just make sure the voltages work out right and you're golden.

[edit]

Heck, knowing Nintendo a previous power cable for the system will work just fine.

Is the Wii U pad adapter not the same as the 3DS one? I'd simply just assumed it was. Totally not helpful I imagine, but I know my 3DS adapter worked when I took it to the US with me, no transformer required. Their e-mail and what you quoted doesn't neccessarily imply needing a voltage converter either, it says it may have issues with power supply and says pin/power, it doesn't define the slash as an and or an or.

EDIT: Like a total idiot didn't realise this references both adapters. No idea on the mains, imagine that might be designed more specific to the voltage.

Edited by Rummy

Apparently users on Neogaf are claiming a regular old Wii power adapter will work fine with the Wii U.

Nintendo logic gained from years of Nintendo gaming informs me that if the previous power adapter fits, it will work. It's also a really good bet that the charge lead for the Wii U Gamepad will be the same connector that a bunch of peripherals use today.

Just wanted to give you a heads up. Can anyone here actually confirm this?

Edited by Guy

Im still running a Japanese Dreamcast and Gamecube on power converters so you will likely be okay using those. Ive never actually tried to use the previous plugs in newer machines, it should in theory work but id be too scared to test it lol.

Apparently users on Neogaf are claiming a regular old Wii power adapter will work fine with the Wii U.

Nintendo logic gained from years of Nintendo gaming informs me that if the previous power adapter fits, it will work. It's also a really good bet that the charge lead for the Wii U Gamepad will be the same connector that a munch of peripherals use today.

Just wanted to give you a heads up. Can anyone here actually confirm this?

Yeah, the AC input on the back of the Wii U is exactly the same shape as the Wii? Hmmm, do I risk my Wii AC adapter (I do have one), the Wii U uses has a max. of 75Watts, whilst the Wii was much much lower.

Anybody?

I'd definitely wait for confirmation before turning it on just to be safe. Looking at the back of the system, it has the exact same power connection though.

I'd definitely wait for confirmation before turning it on just to be safe. Looking at the back of the system, it has the exact same power connection though.

I'll send them an email right now.

Does anybody have the power ratings of both? i.e voltage in, amps in; then DC volts and ampage out? If they match, you should be spot on fine.

Got a reply from NoA, after pleading with them to as what the best solution is, and whether they could help me out in any way, here's their response;

Hello Lee,

Thanks for contacting us. You've reached Nintendo of America. We are responsible for the distribution, marketing, and service of Nintendo products throughout North and South America.

While we'd like to help, I'm afraid we don't have the information you're looking for and are not able to assist you in locating an AC adapter for your Wii U console. It's important to understand that Nintendo systems are designed for use in the region in which they are intended to be sold. Therefore, it's likely you could run into other regional incompatibilities besides the differing voltage requirements.

I empathize with your situation and realize that this must be disappointing. I can only suggest that you contact the retailer which sold you your Wii U console to see if they can be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Sebastian Schwebach

Nintendo of America Inc.

Thanks for nothing.

Still have a reply from NoUK about the use of a Wii AC adapter to come, hopefully.

If its any help , I use a pal wii av on my USA wii , have done for a couple of years with no problems , but you should. Just get a step down transformer

Thanks @Guy. I guessed as much the Wii U AC adapter is so much bigger than the original Wii one. Was doing a lot of research, downloading the manuals for both the Wii and Wii U, but the Wii U manuals tell you that if you want to learn more about the power supply to the Wii U then use the Wii U Electronic manual; the one built into the Wii U OS. Amazing you have to have a working power supply to see if it's all right by turning the console on.

Anyway, I got an offer from a new member of these forums in the same predicament as me, except in reverse. If he can be patient maybe we could swap.

Yeah, apparently it looks like the wii adapter will fit the wii u, but it won't; and it's apparently because it uses a bigger/more power supply so obviously to stop frying the smaller one. Also despite my suspicions apparently the gamepad has its own special adapter too(not totally confirmed yet), so you're looking at officials or the step up transformers.

I'm still curious why my UK 3DS charger worked without a transformer in the US though, as it only says 240V on it and not 110.

Yeah, apparently it looks like the wii adapter will fit the wii u, but it won't; and it's apparently because it uses a bigger/more power supply so obviously to stop frying the smaller one. Also despite my suspicions apparently the gamepad has its own special adapter too(not totally confirmed yet), so you're looking at officials or the step up transformers.

I'm still curious why my UK 3DS charger worked without a transformer in the US though, as it only says 240V on it and not 110.

I've used a UK 3DS charger in Taiwan since I bought it at launch. It must have something to do with the power consumption of the device (the Ampage/Wattage). I don't think I'll plug a beast like the Wii U in to find out though.

I am also looking for the UK Wii U power adapters (Console and Game Pad) and have the North American adapters (never used). If anyone has any ideas where to get the UK adapters or perhaps someone is looking to trade UK adapters for the North America adapters I'd be happy to do so.

Well, I ended up exchanging my UK AC Adapters with a new member on the forums. He had exactly the reverse situation as I did. Having US adapters. A swap has been made and both sets of adapters are on-route, only another 2 weeks to go before I find out if my Wii U functions OK after its long journey.

Nervous times :hmm:

Thanks @Beni for all your help.

Thanks to you too @londragon now lets wait and cross fingers that everything work as expected :)

To @DVS you never know, but it could appear someone looking for a trade anytime.. Though, check ebay as soon I guess it will appear third party adapters, or check with Nintendo's website in your country, they may have or will have soon the adapters available. And if you cant wait, check ebay for some adapter with voltage transformer. ;)

Btw.. You should need just one (console), cause the gamepad can be charged via usb from console (or a computer if you have)

Good luck!

Hi All,

I also have US version of the AC power supplies and am interested to exchange them with a pair of UK version.

Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks.

Thanks! We are from Canada but living in the UK temporarily. While it is possible to order AC adapters from the north american nintendo store, I found nothing available from the Nintendo UK store.

I ended up purchasing a 300 V power converter from Maplins, which is now doing the job nicely.

If there are any Nintendo employee lurkers out there, your way of doing business SUCKS!!! You're lucky that I go out of my way for the sake of my children otherwise I would return your game and never do business with your company again.

It is ridiculous that:

1) You have region specific games/consoles. People travel, move, etc. What are you afraid of????

2) AC adapters that convert 110/220 are not provided. Every mobile phone comes with one!!

3) I cannot purchase a new adapter if needed anywhere from Nintendo.

To @DVS you never know, but it could appear someone looking for a trade anytime.. Though, check ebay as soon I guess it will appear third party adapters, or check with Nintendo's website in your country, they may have or will have soon the adapters available. And if you cant wait, check ebay for some adapter with voltage transformer. ;)

Btw.. You should need just one (console), cause the gamepad can be charged via usb from console (or a computer if you have)

Good luck!

Also, if buying a voltage transformer, the Wii U runs at a maximum of 70 Watts, so don't buy a 50W transformer make sure it's 100W to be safe.

It is ridiculous that:

1) You have region specific games/consoles. People travel, move, etc. What are you afraid of????

2) AC adapters that convert 110/220 are not provided. Every mobile phone comes with one!!

3) I cannot purchase a new adapter if needed anywhere from Nintendo.

Yeah, I had 3 emails from NoA and NoE saying that they just could not help me with my problem, that I needed to buy the adapters from Nintendo in the country I was living in, and they completely ignored the fact there is no Nintendo of Taiwan. It just kept going around and around and in the end they were no help and blamed me for buying a Wii U and moving/taking it to a different country saying that my warranty is now invalid, the on-line will not function as sold. I mean thanks, but no thanks.

I am so pissed off at them, but still looking forward to when I can plug the machine in. Their extremely inane decision making over region control still doesn't deter me from their great products/games/etc.

To all who are looking for AC power adapter. I found lots of suppliers now offering both adapter on Alibaba for wholesale. That means very soon, we will have supply of 3rd party adapters on ebay or other online sellers.

At the moment I only found one ebay seller and the console AC power adapter costs $39.00 (buy it now price + free worldwide shipping). I however believe price will drop to about $20 when there are more sellers offering similar products.

Sign in to follow this